Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2240 2241 [2242] 2243 2244 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 2010603 times)

oilcan

Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #33615 on: May 07, 2020, 04:57:48 PM »

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #33616 on: May 07, 2020, 05:00:55 PM »

Trump has been openly corrupt.  And impeached.   And a laughingstock overseas.   And horribly mismanaged a crisis.   The poor little MAGA folk need a floating deck chair to cling to as the ship goes down.   

"and impeached"

ahhhh, yes - Pelosi's big win

"He will ALWAYS be impeached"

What a fucking waste of time and resources.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #33617 on: May 07, 2020, 05:01:34 PM »

Big day for Trump

And a beautiful White House ceremony

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #33618 on: May 07, 2020, 05:11:00 PM »

Trump's day of prayer comments not being carried by CNN.

Among the most laughable things he does.
"I like your smile, and your fingertips
I like the way that you move your hips
I like the cool way you look at me
Everything about you is bringing me misery..."--Bob Dylan

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #33619 on: May 07, 2020, 05:11:26 PM »

If I sound jealous, it's because I was. Yet, I was also conflicted. How nice it would have been to wander over, pull up a chair and enjoy a beer. But I also knew the death rate in Sweden is now significantly higher than many other countries in Europe, with 2,500 dead

The folks out livin' in Sweden ain't the ones dyin'

90% are over age 70

Just 300 of the 3000 that have dies are 69 or younger

They have the same nursing home problem as the US - maybe not even as bad.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/06/europe/sweden-coronavirus-diary-shukla/index.html

“I understand there has been some... controversy concerning last month’s baptisms because three or four people drowned....  THEY WUZ OLD PEOPLES! I didn’t know they had asthma! I thought the bubbles was from the spit!”

R. Pryor
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #33620 on: May 07, 2020, 05:12:36 PM »

The folks out livin' in Sweden ain't the ones dyin'

90% are over age 70

No one above the age of 70 is really living life?

Coming from someone who 100% was screaming "death panels!" at the ACA 10 years ago.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #33621 on: May 07, 2020, 05:19:28 PM »

Trump - winning.

Calls for the revocation of Pulitzer prizes due to false reporting.

Happily goose stepping into authoritarianism. Do you get your brown shirts on hangers or boxed?

Lyndon Johnson

oilcan

« Reply #33622 on: May 07, 2020, 05:32:04 PM »

https://apnews.com/b0963829f22342cb49a00726a97f4c6b

Details some of the fine work and muckraking at various newspapers,  which garnered the Pulitzers.   

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #33623 on: May 07, 2020, 05:36:46 PM »

Not sure what Palin has to do with death panels.

She coined the phrase you idiot. 

Although I'm very sure you are aware of that, as I'm sure you were slobbering over her every word.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #33624 on: May 07, 2020, 05:52:31 PM »

Oh, look - Flynn case DROPPED.  Imagine that.
Under Barr, the Justice Department has become a wholly owned subsidiary of Trump, Inc. Why would anyone be surprised?

I posted yesterday about how Barr wanted to shape the Departments arguments on the ACA not on the law, but on what is politically expedient to the "president."

This is no different. 

How did we get here?  The willingness of the Republican Party to sign off on open corruption for the sake of tax breaks for the wealthy and stacking the judiciary is certainly part of it.  But this is a question scholars of authoritarian regimes will take up for years.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #33625 on: May 07, 2020, 05:57:14 PM »

Alexandra Petri Washington Post 5:30 pm

Pay Site

EMERGENCY BROADCAST!
The Justice Department is proud to announce its first-ever Purge! If there is a crime you have been tempted to commit, or to overlook — well, if you think it will benefit President Trump in some way, please, let nothing hold you back!
Commencing at the siren, any and all white-collar crimes — including bribery, extortion, conspiracy and lying to the FBI — will be legal for a minimum of eight continuous months, provided it is undertaken for the benefit of Trump.
Justice Dept. moves to drop case against former national security adviser Michael Flynn

The Justice Department will not be available to make any case against you. It will see its way clear to letting you go. It will say that it can’t muster proof even if you have literally admitted to the crime in court. Please let the department know whether there is anything further it can do to help you or, through you, the president! That is why the Justice Department is there. (Thank you, Leaders, for this clear reinterpretation of the attorney general’s function!)

This measure is necessary for the safety and health of the commonwealth! It was noted that a high proportion of the people around Trump (long may he reign) were attempting crimes and getting convicted of crimes. Would the president of the United States deliberately surround himself with people too criminal, incompetent or both to avoid the apparently continuous doing of crimes? Or worse, not deliberately? No!

Clearly, if all the people around the president were doing these things, perhaps they ought not be crimes. Or perhaps we were wrong in identifying crimes as “bad.” Maybe crime is good. Or, if not good in itself, good when it helps Trump.
This is when the notion of the Purge occurred to us. Now, so long as you are doing it in a way that you think will make Trump smile, please, go forth and crime with impunity. If there is anything corrupt you have been holding off on doing because you were worried you would run afoul of the law, ask yourself tonight: What law?

Don’t even worry about the appearance of impropriety. The appearance of impropriety only matters when people think impropriety is bad, and the American people, by electing Trump, spoke with a single voice to say, we would like improper people plagued by conflicts of interest to be placed in charge of not one thing but everything.

Please, indulge. The president does not mind. If he personally has not done anything wrong, it was by mistake, and not deliberate on his part.

So hunker down! Evade taxes! Tonight we will see many Senate seats huddled in saferooms as governors try to burst their way through and sell them to the highest bidder. Roger Stone will gallop around astride a pale horse, doing Roger Stone things. Tonight the streets will run with cones, dumped there out of sheer political motives that do not technically help the president.

(Please note that immunity for crimes undertaken for your personal benefit without reference to President Trump cannot be guaranteed. But you will probably still be fine.)

Thank you and have a pleasant Purge!

Lyndon Johnson

barton

« Reply #33626 on: May 07, 2020, 07:08:17 PM »

When a gavel just won't do the job...

https://www.npr.org/2020/05/07/851826555/toilet-flush-heard-during-supreme-courts-conference-call

Or...

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/supreme-court/justice-can-t-be-muted-flushing-sound-heard-supreme-court-n1201346

Responding to the flushing sound, Federal Communications Commission Chairman Ajit Pai tweeted: "To be clear, the @FCC does not construe the flushing of a toilet immediately after counsel said "what the FCC has said" to reflect a substantive judgment of the Supreme Court, or of any Justice thereof, regarding an agency determination." 

barton

« Reply #33627 on: May 07, 2020, 07:14:41 PM »

I know Red believes in doo process...

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #33628 on: May 07, 2020, 07:18:12 PM »

Alexandra Petri Washington Post 5:30 pm

Pay Site

EMERGENCY BROADCAST!
The Justice Department is proud to announce its first-ever Purge! If there is a crime you have been tempted to commit, or to overlook — well, if you think it will benefit President Trump in some way, please, let nothing hold you back!
Commencing at the siren, any and all white-collar crimes — including bribery, extortion, conspiracy and lying to the FBI — will be legal for a minimum of eight continuous months, provided it is undertaken for the benefit of Trump.
Justice Dept. moves to drop case against former national security adviser Michael Flynn

The Justice Department will not be available to make any case against you. It will see its way clear to letting you go. It will say that it can’t muster proof even if you have literally admitted to the crime in court. Please let the department know whether there is anything further it can do to help you or, through you, the president! That is why the Justice Department is there. (Thank you, Leaders, for this clear reinterpretation of the attorney general’s function!)

This measure is necessary for the safety and health of the commonwealth! It was noted that a high proportion of the people around Trump (long may he reign) were attempting crimes and getting convicted of crimes. Would the president of the United States deliberately surround himself with people too criminal, incompetent or both to avoid the apparently continuous doing of crimes? Or worse, not deliberately? No!

Clearly, if all the people around the president were doing these things, perhaps they ought not be crimes. Or perhaps we were wrong in identifying crimes as “bad.” Maybe crime is good. Or, if not good in itself, good when it helps Trump.
This is when the notion of the Purge occurred to us. Now, so long as you are doing it in a way that you think will make Trump smile, please, go forth and crime with impunity. If there is anything corrupt you have been holding off on doing because you were worried you would run afoul of the law, ask yourself tonight: What law?

Don’t even worry about the appearance of impropriety. The appearance of impropriety only matters when people think impropriety is bad, and the American people, by electing Trump, spoke with a single voice to say, we would like improper people plagued by conflicts of interest to be placed in charge of not one thing but everything.

Please, indulge. The president does not mind. If he personally has not done anything wrong, it was by mistake, and not deliberate on his part.

So hunker down! Evade taxes! Tonight we will see many Senate seats huddled in saferooms as governors try to burst their way through and sell them to the highest bidder. Roger Stone will gallop around astride a pale horse, doing Roger Stone things. Tonight the streets will run with cones, dumped there out of sheer political motives that do not technically help the president.

(Please note that immunity for crimes undertaken for your personal benefit without reference to President Trump cannot be guaranteed. But you will probably still be fine.)

Thank you and have a pleasant Purge!
Ms.Petri conveniently overlooks the Ted Stevens Case of 2008. While running for an Alaska Senate race he was charged in Federal Court with public corruption
and convicted in a controversial trial. He consequently lost a very close election that resulted in democrats winning 60 seats in the Senate and filibuster immunity for new President Barack Obama.
Before sentencing the case was dropped by AG Eric Holder who stated:

After careful review, I have concluded that certain information should have been provided to the defense for use at trial. In light of this conclusion, and in consideration of the totality of the circumstances of this particular case, I have determined that it is in the interest of justice to dismiss the indictment and not proceed with a new trial."

Justice Emmett Sullivan agreed and blasted the Juctice Department prosecuters and launched an investigation. Judge Sullivan is presiding over the Flynn Case.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 07:32:18 PM by REDSTATEWARD »

barton

« Reply #33629 on: May 07, 2020, 07:33:02 PM »

The above post,  from RSW,  was posted earlier and now has been deleted and reposted,  presumably to move it up the queue.   In any case,  it now dovetails neatly with my "doo process" pun,  so I can only say job well done!   

That said,  I hope this sort of tactic doesn't catch on here.   
Pages: 1 ... 2240 2241 [2242] 2243 2244 ... 4288