Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2275 2276 [2277] 2278 2279 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 2011982 times)

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #34140 on: May 12, 2020, 04:05:57 PM »

So much for meaningful exchange.

Can you link to what you are referring to, as per Oilcan's request?

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34141 on: May 12, 2020, 04:11:26 PM »

Biden calls Trump, "this guy" as he stumbles through Stephanopolous interview

I think independents would like it more if there was some respect shown for office.  Joe prefers to think he is the likable sort/choice.  His manner of speak should be promoting this to a greater extent.

Birth certificate...

If trump showed any respect for the office or any intentions to fulfill its responsibilities, he would be treated less like a piece of shit and more like a president by the broad public.

Unfortunately, that ship has sailed.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #34142 on: May 12, 2020, 04:20:53 PM »

And if it isn't Trump lying, it's Mitch McConnell:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/12/politics/fact-check-mcconnell-obama-trump-game-plan/index.html

From the article - thanks (love that Daniel Dale, but he is being misused by CNN, as I told him on Twitter)

There are certainly valid criticisms of Obama's pandemic preparations, and it's possible to argue that the playbook was inadequate for the current pandemic. A current NSC official, whom Politico quoted anonymously, described the 2016 document as "quite dated." It's not clear who in the Trump administration saw the 69-page playbook.

But - I do think Lara Trump should stow it - and Mitch makes everyone he appears with look silly.

No room for backtracking to Obama with this virus.  Its about what is best to do today.

Also - any talk/thought of "_________ would have done this if in Trump's shoes" is politics - not helpful and totally unknown.  But we will hear about it from Joe at the debates - maybe from Barack Obama prior to that.
I agree .Trump's incompetence stands alone.
"I like your smile, and your fingertips
I like the way that you move your hips
I like the cool way you look at me
Everything about you is bringing me misery..."--Bob Dylan

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #34143 on: May 12, 2020, 04:21:49 PM »

Biden calls Trump, "this guy" as he stumbles through Stephanopolous interview

I think independents would like it more if there was some respect shown for office.  Joe prefers to think he is the likable sort/choice.  His manner of speak should be promoting this to a greater extent.

Birth certificate...

If trump showed any respect for the office or any intentions to fulfill its responsibilities, he would be treated less like a piece of shit and more like a president by the broad public.

Unfortunately, that ship has sailed.

IIRC it was a Carnival Cruise cruise to fascism- left port in 2016! 
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 04:23:44 PM by bankshot1 »

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Transmission Accomplished
« Reply #34144 on: May 12, 2020, 04:31:41 PM »

The US about to have more COVID-19 deaths than China has had reported cases.

Meanwhile, Trump trying to spin 1.3M infections and what will be more than 100K deaths as a success.
I think it''s possible to say that the administration f'ed this up without giving any credence to China's figures.

Outside of Hubei, China has had 16,000 official cases.
I was in Shanghai, and saw the extensive safety measures taken.  Shanghai has reported just 21 COVID deaths.  Still today everyone wears a mask in public.  Though this week people started slacking some.  I saw 2 people in the grocery store yesterday without masks, and I've seen some maskless folks on the street.  In public, I wear a mask all the time, except when I play basketball.

In every country there are more infections than reported cases, mostly because testing has been limited.  And maybe there is some undercounting to make the gov't look better.  But China's numbers seem reasonable given the measures implemented and the the very high compliance.  Wuhan and Hubei numbers might be questionable, but it was such an emergency there that accurate counting wasn't a top priority.   Aside from Hubei, I haven't heard about any Chinese bloggers or others claiming that there were significant outbreaks that went unreported.  China is a big messy country and word usually leaks out (and could still), even if people take significant personal risk in doing so.

If it makes you happy:
The US with more infections than Spain, Italy, UK, France & Germany combined.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #34145 on: May 12, 2020, 04:39:10 PM »

Re-watched Panic in the Streets last night.
Elia Kazan 1950 flick about an epidemic about to explode in New Orleans if they can't contact trace an illegal immigrant's path and find his killers (he was shot, then the autopsy found the pneumonic plague in his lungs)..
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bankshot1

• View Profile
Re: Transmission Accomplished
« Reply #34146 on: May 12, 2020, 04:41:16 PM »

The US about to have more COVID-19 deaths than China has had reported cases.

Meanwhile, Trump trying to spin 1.3M infections and what will be more than 100K deaths as a success.
I think it''s possible to say that the administration f'ed this up without giving any credence to China's figures.

Outside of Hubei, China has had 16,000 official cases.
I was in Shanghai, and saw the extensive safety measures taken. Shanghai has reported just 21 COVID deaths. Still today everyone wears a mask in public.  Though this week people started slacking some.  I saw 2 people in the grocery store yesterday without masks, and I've seen some maskless folks on the street.  In public, I wear a mask all the time, except when I play basketball.

In every country there are more infections than reported cases, mostly because testing has been limited.  And maybe there is some undercounting to make the gov't look better.  But China's numbers seem reasonable given the measures implemented and the the very high compliance.  Wuhan and Hubei numbers might be questionable, but it was such an emergency there that accurate counting wasn't a top priority.   Aside from Hubei, I haven't heard about any Chinese bloggers or others claiming that there were significant outbreaks that went unreported.  China is a big messy country and word usually leaks out (and could still), even if people take significant personal risk in doing so.

If it makes you happy:
The US with more infections than Spain, Italy, UK, France & Germany combined.

21 deaths in a population of about 24 million given the 2 week incubation period seems just about statistically impossible, if there was any travel between Wuhan and Shang Hai during the initial outbreak.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34147 on: May 12, 2020, 04:41:55 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2020/05/12/target-store-mask-fight-orig-mg.cnn

"If I can't shop w/o wearing a mask, I'm going to beat you up or spit on you or something! These rules don't apply to me."

Wonder where the whole "these rules don't apply to me" mindset comes from.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #34148 on: May 12, 2020, 04:46:34 PM »

yank

thanks

sent you a reply

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34149 on: May 12, 2020, 04:50:49 PM »

And if it isn't Trump lying, it's Mitch McConnell:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/12/politics/fact-check-mcconnell-obama-trump-game-plan/index.html

From the article - thanks (love that Daniel Dale, but he is being misused by CNN, as I told him on Twitter)

There are certainly valid criticisms of Obama's pandemic preparations, and it's possible to argue that the playbook was inadequate for the current pandemic. A current NSC official, whom Politico quoted anonymously, described the 2016 document as "quite dated." It's not clear who in the Trump administration saw the 69-page playbook.

No room for backtracking to Obama with this virus.  Its about what is best to do today.

So, either Mitch is lying because there was one or Mitch is lying because nothing left in 2016 would still have value, is that what I am understanding from you, here?

Also, I love how you are embracing the anonymous source here, but not when they say things you don't like.

Not to mention that the NSC is filled with Trump's people. Is it any surprise that after the fact of the president's not even having looked at the ancient (2016) book that an anonymous NSC member would claim it was dated?
Its regular attendees (both statutory and non-statutory) are the Vice President, the Secretary of State, the Secretary of the Treasury, the Secretary of Defense, and the Assistant to the President for National Security Affairs. The Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff is the statutory military advisor to the Council, and the Director of National Intelligence is the intelligence advisor. The Chief of Staff to the President, Counsel to the President, and the Assistant to the President for Economic Policy are invited to attend any NSC meeting. The Attorney General and the Director of the Office of Management and Budget are invited to attend meetings pertaining to their responsibilities. The heads of other executive departments and agencies, as well as other senior officials, are invited to attend meetings of the NSC when appropriate.

I doubt it was the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs. Everybody else on that list is a presidential appointee or chosen by him for his position (VP). So, I don't trust the interpretation, especially coming this far into the discussion about the pandemic and the book.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #34150 on: May 12, 2020, 04:52:11 PM »

Another study

Hydroxychloroquine has been proposed as a treatment against the SARS-CoV-2 virus because it has antiviral properties that have been proven in lab settings, but not in people.

It interferes with the virus' ability to enter the cells -- and also seems to block them from replicating once they are already inside.

Zinc itself has antiviral properties and past research has suggested it may reduce the time people suffer from common colds.

https://news.yahoo.com/zinc-hydroxychloroquine-found-effective-covid-19-patients-study-215732283.html

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34151 on: May 12, 2020, 04:58:31 PM »

Another study

Hydroxychloroquine has been proposed as a treatment against the SARS-CoV-2 virus because it has antiviral properties that have been proven in lab settings, but not in people.

It interferes with the virus' ability to enter the cells -- and also seems to block them from replicating once they are already inside.

Zinc itself has antiviral properties and past research has suggested it may reduce the time people suffer from common colds

OMG, people! Enough of these uncontrolled experiments!

That said, this is from March 25th:
https://www.uchealth.org/today/zinc-could-help-diminish-extent-of-covid-19/

A 2010 study led by University of Leiden Medical researchers in the Netherlands sought to understand how zinc inhibited that replication. The team reported that zinc inhibits a cousin of SARS-CoV-2: SARS-CoV, the original SARS of the 2003 outbreak. Click through for details, which get into the biochemical nitty-gritty, but the gist is that zinc throws a wrench in the virus’s RNA-synthesis machine.

The question is whether the hydroxychlorquine-zpac had anything to do with the better results! Zinc is in a few other ongoing trials.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34152 on: May 12, 2020, 05:02:25 PM »

Or, from Bo on March 21 and Barton on April 6 (or a post I made on April 17th that is too long to bother reposting):

But before an anti-malarial with strong side effects is widely administered,  it needs to be clinically tested.   

Chloraquine has been used widely for decades.
It doesn't have strong side effects.  For short term usage such as malaria treatment and a viral flu, side effects are of limited to no concern.  Though there could be some if the dosage needs to be significantly increased.

Thanks.

Let me answer this clearly,  so I don't get trolled later by El Sanctimonio.  Yes,  it's well tested insofar as malaria,  lupus,  and RA are concerned.  All I really meant was that some testing phase is needed insofar as its interaction with a novel virus,  and also cocktail interaction if it's blended with Zithromax to treat said virus.   I am not pessimistic about this at all,  but only want people to understand that hype is not useful until more data is gleaned.   

And I hope people stay focused on things we know boost the immune system like zinc,  selenium, ginger,  turmeric,  red bell peppers,  and exercise.

If recovery from CV, per Kid's latest anecdote,  requires singing Neil Diamond songs,  I will embrace death.

Vitamin D is a good idea,  though.  Like selenium and zinc,  it's an immune booster.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #34154 on: May 12, 2020, 05:12:22 PM »

The question is whether the hydroxychlorquine-zpac had anything to do with the better results! Zinc is in a few other ongoing trials.

The article tells you the theory - well, more than a theory - behind why hydroxychloroquine is often effective.

Hydroxychloroquine   .......   acts as an agent that transports the zinc into cells, increasing its efficacy

« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 05:15:29 PM by kiidcarter8 »
Pages: 1 ... 2275 2276 [2277] 2278 2279 ... 4288