Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2361 2362 [2363] 2364 2365 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1610785 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #35430 on: May 28, 2020, 12:17:08 PM »

Our primary system sucks.   It usually fails to select the most qualified and visionary public servant.   Obama was a rare miracle, not the norm.
... I meant "miracle" in the sense that the primary process worked and chose the best person for the job.  I miss him terribly.

I thought Hillary was the right person in 2010, would have won due to the complete FUBAR W Bush had caused, and would have served two terms at least as effectively as O did.  And then Obama would have been more experienced, less infected with U of C think, had more connections/a bigger Rolodex -- and O would have stepped in off the bench and been able to rattle off another 2 terms.

Why do you all completely ignore the Republicans willingness to destroy society when the nation is most vulnerable?

Progressives gave power back to the GOP in 2010 because they were pissed Obama sold out on the public option.

Fucking idiots.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #35431 on: May 28, 2020, 12:19:09 PM »

While you don't have to be, I will if he's not beaten.

If Trump wins a second term every man woman and child in this country should be embarrassed.

Y’all can be embarrassed. Me and mine will be in more danger.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #35432 on: May 28, 2020, 12:19:45 PM »

The Republican "president" has created a nationwide debate about the wearing of masks despite their being unconditionally effective against the spread of an active deadly pathogen because he doesn't like how he looks in them. 

His Chief of Staff for the 2020 campaign was charged with campaign finance violations related to dark money groups, before marrying the boyfriend whose charges on cocaine possession brought those crimes to light.

He is now trying to regulate social media platforms (to protect the First Amendment!) despite having no legal basis of doing so because one of them, a private company lawfully executing its user rules, dared to put an exclamation-marked fact check on a couple of his tweets.

His Attorney General is continuing to pursue obvious politically motivated fishing expeditions by starting and publicly announcing investigations into the past administrations work without even the hint of a valid predicate.   

And as the United States passes 100,000 deaths due entirely to his own incompetence, he has said nothing to address a mourning nation while he tweets out multiple times about #obamagate.

But its the Democrats that should be embarrassed?

Incredible, ain’t it.

Lyndon Johnson

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #35433 on: May 28, 2020, 12:20:05 PM »

We have just reached a very sad milestone with the coronavirus pandemic deaths reaching 100,000. To all of the families & friends of those who have passed, I want to extend my heartfelt sympathy & love for everything that these great people stood for & represent. God be with you![/size]

Asked why the President had not spoken about the milestone earlier, deputy White House press secretary Judd Deere said, “President Trump’s prayers for comfort and strength are with all of those grieving the loss of a loved one or friend.”

One tweet later he blames China.

Second tweet afterwards, its back to the Russia Hoax!

Unhinged and unfit.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 12:25:39 PM by josh »
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #35434 on: May 28, 2020, 12:20:11 PM »

During the SARS outbreak in 2003 there was a lot of to-do about finding the virus in raw sewage (mainly in HK) and whether that could be a possible transmission vector.
Which would be a disaster in slums outside many big cities in poor countries where basic sanitation isn't treated or even confined properly.

Trying to remember my college virology course...IIRC it's just protein fragments in poo and not active viruses.

One of the biggest SARS outbreaks in 2003, is believed to have occurred due to poop, in HK. 

Published May 16, 2003
WHO: Leaky Pipes, Fans and Diarrhea Caused SARS Outbreak at Hong Kong Apartments

Leaky sewage pipes and bathroom ventilation fans carried contaminated droplets through parts of a Hong Kong apartment complex, causing one of the world's worst outbreaks of SARS, World Health Organization investigators said.

More than 300 people came down with the illness at the Amoy Gardens apartment complex in late March, and 35 people died. The speed of the infection amazed health experts, who at the time believed the disease was spread mainly by person-to-person contact.

A report written by a team of WHO investigators blamed an "unlucky" combination of circumstances -- a patient with diarrhea, seeping pipes and drafty air shafts.

No idea for COVID-19, or if that was just some freak special case.  But it seems that live virus has been found in feces.

Since the early days of the outbreak, it’s been clear that the virus can also leave its calling card in feces. But whether COVID-19 can spread this way remains an open question.

Researchers and doctors have found large amounts of SARS-CoV-2’s RNA, or genetic material, in fecal samples taken from infected patients.... These genetic signatures can linger long after the virus itself has been destroyed. In the instances where scientists have looked for viable viruses in stool, some, but not all, have found them.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/how-wastewater-could-help-track-spread-new-coronavirus-180974858/
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #35435 on: May 28, 2020, 12:23:49 PM »

And offering Romney a position of trust would be a fuck-you to Trump.

That and tweaking kid was  the real point of my post.

That's funny, as I have always been in the Romney camp (he was my candidate of choice in 2008)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #35436 on: May 28, 2020, 12:27:04 PM »

Cant wait to see the Cabinet

Here's a heads up kid. The projected Biden cabinet will likely be characterized by some of your ilk as fully stocked with Deep-state Dems. And I imagine they'll likely be from over the country, not just Delaware or the Kennedy School. And hopefully have a sprinkling of a few decent Repubs to present a non-partisan patina.

I could see Mitt being offered something.

ARRGH!  I hate that.  Why do Dems always put a GOPer in as Defense Sec or FBI/CIA?  Just find a qualified person in your party.  No benefit and only harm will come from having a Repub in the Cabinet or another high post.   One of the more foolish things Dems do.  makes them look more weak than bipartisan and cooperative.  Go with your convictions.  Stick with your team.

Bo-I'm on Team America and still beleive there are a few Repubs who are not tainted by Corona-Trump-2016/20 who still put country ahead of party. But I may be wrong.

Given the contentious and overly partisan warfare Americans have waged on one another, IMO healing and listening and respecting the reasonable opinions from someone who moderately disagrees with you politically is a start and sends a moderate political message that can be understood by most Americans as an act of goodwill and non-partisan. There also may be areas of commonality re certain national policies where party affilliation is not critical to organizing and carrying out national policy.

The point is I'm not ruling out service to country because of party affiliation. I want smart patriots who understand and can administer and govern effectively. 

YMMV

If Americans continue on hyper-partisan politics us-vs them, blue v red etc, liberals v morons, it will get worse. So if handing out a cabinet position to a Repub or two, sends a non-partisan message, particularly early on in a new D-administration, why not? 

The Republican Party should be blown up to the foundation, the rubble burned to ash and the ash sowed into the soil with salt to never grow again.

Being “reasonable” on one side is how we arrived to the brink of authoritarianism.

Achtung, baby!

Lyndon Johnson

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #35437 on: May 28, 2020, 12:29:41 PM »

I don't think it's hyper-partisan or in any way bad to fill your cabinet and key positions with people from your party.  It's just what should be SOP/normal.  It is for the GOP.
If you want conservative views to be represented, there are western and southern conservative Dems who could qualify, or some non-partisan military folks or whathaveyou. 
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 12:31:29 PM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35438 on: May 28, 2020, 12:32:00 PM »

Senator Tim Kaine announced in a statement Thursday that he and his wife have tested positive for coronavirus antibodies.

“We each tested positive for coronavirus antibodies this month. While those antibodies could make us less likely to be re-infected or infect others, there is still too much uncertainty over what protection antibodies may actually provide," the Virginia senator said in a statement. "So we will keep following CDC guidelines—hand-washing, mask wearing, social distancing. We encourage others to do so as well. It shows those around you that you care about them.”

But the question then becomes who have they been in contact with during the time they had the disease, since I don't remember anybody saying Kaine had it.
He tested for antibodies, and so it is likely he or anyone knew he had it. Fortunately our robust national testing and contact tracing regime will identify the people he was in contact with and will test them as well.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #35439 on: May 28, 2020, 12:33:25 PM »

#obamagate.
But its the Democrats that should be embarrassed?

The whole fucking country should be embarrassed that Trump is the President.
I know I am.  I tell Chinese that it's like Americans looked around and asked themselves Who would be the stupidest, worst person to be president, and then elected him.

Obama got elected and White America lost its fucking mind.

Anyone remember the name of the Cambridge cop whose ass America made the President kiss?

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #35440 on: May 28, 2020, 12:37:01 PM »

I disagree with this position.

If a different VP might have given Hillary the votes she needed in the midwest - less than 1% more - that would have done it. And I think that could have worked. No proof, of course.

But also, VP choice can make a difference in future elections.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/28/opinions/truth-about-biden-veep-lockhart/index.html

The amount of time, money and effort the GOP puts into suppressing black voters should tell you everything.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35441 on: May 28, 2020, 12:40:05 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/28/politics/wisconsin-absentee-voting-applications/index.html

The Wisconsin Election Commission has unanimously approved a measure to send absentee ballot applications to about 2.7 million voters ahead of the November general election, an official with the commission tells CNN.

Ballot applications will go to all registered voters in the state, except those who have already requested an absentee ballot or have moved and haven't confirmed their address. The mailing is expected to go out in mid- to late August. The commission also approved a grant for each municipality of $200 dollars plus $1.10 for each registered voter to cover the costs.

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #35442 on: May 28, 2020, 12:43:07 PM »

Here's a heads up kid. The projected Biden cabinet will likely be characterized by some of your ilk as fully stocked with Deep-state Dems. And I imagine they'll likely be from over the country, not just Delaware or the Kennedy School. And hopefully have a sprinkling of a few decent Repubs to present a non-partisan patina.

ARRGH!  I hate that.  Why do Dems always put a GOPer in as Defense Sec or FBI/CIA?  Just find a qualified person in your party.  No benefit and only harm will come from having a Repub in the Cabinet or another high post.   One of the more foolish things Dems do.  makes them look more weak than bipartisan and cooperative.  Go with your convictions.  Stick with your team.

Bo-I'm on Team America and still beleive there are a few Repubs who are not tainted by Corona-Trump-2016/20 who still put country ahead of party. But I may be wrong.

Given the contentious and overly partisan warfare Americans have waged on one another, IMO healing and listening and respecting the reasonable opinions from someone who moderately disagrees with you politically is a start and sends a moderate political message that can be understood by most Americans as an act of goodwill and non-partisan. There also may be areas of commonality re certain national policies where party affilliation is not critical to organizing and carrying out national policy.

The point is I'm not ruling out service to country because of party affiliation. I want smart patriots who understand and can administer and govern effectively. 

YMMV

If Americans continue on hyper-partisan politics us-vs them, blue v red etc, liberals v morons, it will get worse. So if handing out a cabinet position to a Repub or two, sends a non-partisan message, particularly early on in a new D-administration, why not? 

The Republican Party should be blown up to the foundation, the rubble burned to ash and the ash sowed into the soil with salt to never grow again.

Being “reasonable” on one side is how we arrived to the brink of authoritarianism.

Achtung, baby!

fixed

Really no need for that here

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #35443 on: May 28, 2020, 12:45:19 PM »

YMMV

Achtung, baby!

fixed

Really no need for that here

Achtung, bitches.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham
Pages: 1 ... 2361 2362 [2363] 2364 2365 ... 4288