Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2392 2393 [2394] 2395 2396 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1595970 times)

Yankguy1

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #35895 on: June 01, 2020, 08:24:12 AM »

MAGA loves black people

-  D J Trump
I'm sure he's got the African-American vote locked up now.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #35896 on: June 01, 2020, 08:29:11 AM »

May/may not get that same 8%.  May not matter.

Will  black women (96% for Clinton) show up to vote now that it is not a woman running?  Will the same amount of men bother?

As for Trump's vote - how many independents did he lose?  Likely not good.

Should be an interesting 4 years.  If we all live to see it.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #35897 on: June 01, 2020, 09:00:46 AM »

Have to say that I figured with the economy in the toilet, Trump's lack of leadership and terrible job dealing with the C-Virus, and him generally being a jerk for 3 years, that the Dems would win this Nov.  Even retake the Senate if they run a good campaign(s).

So for me, these protests just add an extra level of uncertainty, and an opp for Trump to either consolidate support or blow it completely.  Amazing that Trump just digs in with a hard line and promotes police violence and racism.  You'd think this should be the final nail, but things could spiral out of control in weird ways.

And police should try to engage with the protesters, and should support outrage over bad policing.  Police aren't in favor of police abuses.  Most cops are good cops, but the minority of bad cops is probably much larger than expected.  Chauvin had 20 complaints against him in 17 years.  Floyd makes 18.  And that doesn't cover other incidents and abuses he engaged in which were not reported.  I imagine in most police departments, most everyone knows who the bad eggs are, who the racists are, who is most likely to abuse their authority (with violence, sex, drugs, grift, etc).  Policing the police is usually done with kiid gloves ...

Right winger go after every labor union except the police.

That’s where it starts. You can’t change the culture of bad police if the union protects bad cops and punish cops who stand up.

There is a very diverse tidal wave of people out there in the streets in the midst of a pandemic and economic collapse.

How people can even consider this to be helpful to Trump is beyond me.

Trump is the incumbent and the nation is on fire...

Y’all need to stop running previous elections.

NOTHING IS THE SAME AS BEFORE.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

barton

« Reply #35898 on: June 01, 2020, 09:07:39 AM »

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #35899 on: June 01, 2020, 09:16:12 AM »

I miss Covid-19.

Yeah.

Cops or Covid.

Die fast or die slow.

What a country...
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

barton

« Reply #35900 on: June 01, 2020, 09:45:27 AM »

My daughter,  the town she lives in,  is seeing unrest.   She says MAGA trucks were cruising past peaceful demonstrations and firing paintballs at protesters.   State Capitol windows boarded up.   Broken windows downtown.  Tear gas and rubber bullets fired at one protest.   Now there's a 7.pm curfew.   A building burned half a block from where my dad lived after mom died.   

Trump is a demon of chaos and hatred.   A malignant narcissist whose glee at hurting people is barely restrained.   

barton

« Reply #35901 on: June 01, 2020, 09:55:58 AM »

Most police do not report the abuses of their fellow officers or interrupt them when they are doing something questionable.

How do you know this?

I think the police culture of LtOW has been well documented over the years.   No one wants to be seen as ratting on a bro.   Officers who do become pariahs.   

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #35902 on: June 01, 2020, 10:00:14 AM »

Asked about protests/police brutality, Trump said, “I’m going to win the election easily. The economy is going to start to get good and then great, better than ever before. I’m getting more judges appointed by the week.”

The last sentence is the key. That’s it. That’s what the GOP is about.
They’ve thrown in the towel on election but plan to maintain rule through the courts.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #35903 on: June 01, 2020, 10:02:37 AM »

MAGA loves black people

-  D J Trump

“Yes! We love them and in fact had two for brunch... they were delicious!”

Lyndon Johnson

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35904 on: June 01, 2020, 10:11:25 AM »

This is from Dale Murphy

“As terrible as this experience has been, we know that it's practically nothing compared to the systemic racism and violence against Black life that he was protesting in the first place. Black communities across America have been terrorized for centuries by excessive police force.
If you're a beneficiary of systemic racism, then you will not be able to dismantle it at no cost to yourself. You will have to put yourself at risk. It might not always result in being physically attacked, but it will require you to make yourself vulnerable.”

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1267273725335883778.html

IMO, black communities across America would be well advised to remember the past but live in the present, where things are better that they were decades ago.
Live in the present, obey all the laws of the land, and strive to make things better for themselves every day.
IMO, you are an idiot. THE PRESENT IS WHAT THEY ARE PROTESTING AGAINST YOU ANTIPODIAL PUTZ

"They may be killing us but at least we can drink from the same water fountain?"
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 10:13:59 AM by Hairy Lime »
There was not a needy person among them, for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the proceeds of what was sold and laid it at the apostles' feet, and distribution was made to each as any had need.

barton

« Reply #35905 on: June 01, 2020, 10:42:26 AM »

The dingos are eating our babies but they do keep the rabbits in check

Yes,  I was going to point out that the tiresome old "just obey the law" canard is problematic when the law keeps stopping you for being black,  then killing you, or if you're lucky just roughing up and humiliating you and sending you on your way.   

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #35906 on: June 01, 2020, 10:59:30 AM »

I was similarly going to point out that the police unions are a big part of the problem, as they enforce solidarity (with bad actors) and ostracize those who inform on criminal activity by other police.  And the union power makes it hard to effectively do internal investigations (and break the wall of silence).

I do think the protesters need to have useful demands/policy prescriptions.
Just off the top of my head:
- any officer who tallies 5 complaints should have to undergo training for de-escalation tactics or just standard policing
- maybe the bottom 10% rated officers in any department should undergo retraining.  (though I'm sure the union would hate any ranking system -- but complaints and misdeeds caught could be part of that)
- complaints against officers should be available on a public database along with disposition of such
- community leaders can hold workshops with local police to discuss problematic incidents, and over-policing and how to deal with crime

I'm sure folks who have studied policing and community activists could come up with more and better suggestions.  I just think you want to get something positive out of these protests.  Get a dialogue going and see if the local police will meet some of your demands.  Try to weed out, or at least get training for problem officers.  Maybe get some policies altered (like no-knock warrants).
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #35907 on: June 01, 2020, 11:21:46 AM »

Most police do not report the abuses of their fellow officers or interrupt them when they are doing something questionable.

How do you know this?

<mental forehead slap>

Lyndon Johnson

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #35908 on: June 01, 2020, 11:24:25 AM »

My focus is on the word "most".  And it's a simple question. And one I assume easily answerable. So slap away. 
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 11:27:48 AM by Yankguy1 »
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #35909 on: June 01, 2020, 11:32:51 AM »

I was similarly going to point out that the police unions are a big part of the problem, as they enforce solidarity (with bad actors) and ostracize those who inform on criminal activity by other police.  And the union power makes it hard to effectively do internal investigations (and break the wall of silence).

I do think the protesters need to have useful demands/policy prescriptions.
Just off the top of my head:
- any officer who tallies 5 complaints should have to undergo training for de-escalation tactics or just standard policing
- maybe the bottom 10% rated officers in any department should undergo retraining.  (though I'm sure the union would hate any ranking system -- but complaints and misdeeds caught could be part of that)
- complaints against officers should be available on a public database along with disposition of such
- community leaders can hold workshops with local police to discuss problematic incidents, and over-policing and how to deal with crime

I'm sure folks who have studied policing and community activists could come up with more and better suggestions.  I just think you want to get something positive out of these protests.  Get a dialogue going and see if the local police will meet some of your demands.  Try to weed out, or at least get training for problem officers.  Maybe get some policies altered (like no-knock warrants).

The concept of policing in the USA must be changed fundamentally because it evolved from the fugitive slave laws and the “patrollers”.

Urban policing was used to assimilate Irish immigrants and lift them from the poverty/assign political autonomy and divide them from the fee black people with which they had more in common than established whites.

White people see the police as those sworn to “Protect and serve” us and to “Contain and Control” THEM.

We need to get the police paradigm shifted from warrior mentality to guardian.

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 2392 2393 [2394] 2395 2396 ... 4288