Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2448 2449 [2450] 2451 2452 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1600428 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #36735 on: June 05, 2020, 05:39:27 AM »

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5ed9ffb4c5b6bc618d781a52

Tennessee judge orders vote by mail for the whole state.

Crackers will of course appeal.

Weasels gotta eat.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #36736 on: June 05, 2020, 05:40:05 AM »

Tough situation.  No doubt.
They could have tried to get 9 year vet Thao to intervene.
Hey Thao, I'll keep the crowd back, you help with the suspect, make sure he's okay.

If they tried to intervene or remedy the situation, even ineffectively, that'll be to their credit and assist their defense.  Again, it'll be hard to get stiff charges to stick against them, I think.  Caveat: haven't seen the full vid or full testimony.

Chauvin could help them out, but likely will throw them under the bus, saying they didn't intervene because they saw nothing wrong, etc.

Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #36737 on: June 05, 2020, 05:41:39 AM »

Lane is White...I could've been him, joined the police force to Protect and Serve...govt job, good pay.
Nice photo with mom and dad, proud parents.
'bambu has joined the police force to make a difference, keep society from harm.'

Been in the force for 4 days...I get Chauvin as my boss,...my life turns to mush, and off to prison I go for the best part of my life, even though I did question him about his tactics with the suspect.

Thankfully, I didn't win that lucky dip Lane did.
Go woke, go broke.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #36738 on: June 05, 2020, 07:31:17 AM »

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/06/04/donald-trump-election-disruption-2020-294721

Good, important article.
Trump can still try to cheat his way to victory, especially if his inept handling of the virusif the rioters not social distancing if his inept handling of the virus and calls for violence in response to legitimate protests means a public health emergency still exists in early NOV.

Fixed

Fixed
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #36739 on: June 05, 2020, 07:32:01 AM »

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/06/04/donald-trump-election-disruption-2020-294721

Good, important article.
Trump can still try to cheat his way to victory, especially if his inept handling of the virusif the rioters not social distancing if his inept handling of the virus and calls for violence in response to legitimate protests means a public health emergency still exists in early NOV.

Fixed

Fixed

And BTW:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/black-lives-matter-coronavirus-protest-masks_n_5ed9a69bc5b68bc1a40159b9
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #36740 on: June 05, 2020, 07:34:26 AM »

Good, important article.

Fixed

Fixed

And...have to love the irony in kiidcarter8 crying about social distancing practices re: protests when he was all for eliminating them so that people could shop at Marshall's and eat at the local Hardee's while holding up Sweden as a model for how we should have responded to COVID.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #36741 on: June 05, 2020, 07:42:13 AM »

How is trump still hiding behind John Dowd? I think seeing the graffiti has started to make trump aware of how much of the country hates him and how deeply. It’s probably starting to feel like Atlantic City for him all over again.

The Dowd letter Trump proudly shares; "The phony protesters near Lafayette park were not peaceful and are not real.  They are terrorists."

This is the level of denial/self-delusion required to justify their response to them.

barton

« Reply #36742 on: June 05, 2020, 09:34:27 AM »

Notice how Trump never tweets actual evidence but rather puts up quotes from others which are lacking evidence.   No matter how far the chain of quoting goes,  there is rarely one discernible fact that emerges.   It's like a game of Telephone in a dementia ward. 

barton

« Reply #36743 on: June 05, 2020, 09:42:52 AM »

And BTW:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/black-lives-matter-coronavirus-protest-masks_n_5ed9a69bc5b68bc1a40159b9

This isn't law enforcement.  This is committing a felony.   

"Every person who commits mail theft, as defined in Section 1708 of Title 18 of the United States Code, is guilty of a public offense, and upon conviction therefor shall be punished by a fine, by imprisonment in a county jail not to exceed one year, or by both a fine and imprisonment."

The mail didn't contain weapons,  contraband,  or banned chemicals or biologicals.

Lock em up!   

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #36744 on: June 05, 2020, 09:46:32 AM »

And BTW:

This isn't law enforcement.  This is committing a felony.   

"Every person who commits mail theft, as defined in Section 1708 of Title 18 of the United States Code, is guilty of a public offense, and upon conviction therefor shall be punished by a fine, by imprisonment in a county jail not to exceed one year, or by both a fine and imprisonment."

The mail didn't contain weapons,  contraband,  or banned chemicals or biologicals.

Lock em up!

The only possible objection law enforcement could have with the masks is the message written on them, which makes their confiscation a violation of the First Amendment.

But I am not expecting our resident Free Speech defenders to weigh in on this.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #36745 on: June 05, 2020, 09:58:34 AM »

Tough situation.  No doubt.
They could have tried to get 9 year vet Thao to intervene.
Hey Thao, I'll keep the crowd back, you help with the suspect, make sure he's okay.

If they tried to intervene or remedy the situation, even ineffectively, that'll be to their credit and assist their defense.  Again, it'll be hard to get stiff charges to stick against them, I think.  Caveat: haven't seen the full vid or full testimony.

Chauvin could help them out, but likely will throw them under the bus, saying they didn't intervene because they saw nothing wrong, etc.

The other two knelt on Floyd’s back and legs.

They’re all complicit.

They all gotta face the judge.

The only who can roll and get a semi reasonable deal is the guy standing watch and trying to block 5he video.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #36746 on: June 05, 2020, 10:03:00 AM »

How is trump still hiding behind John Dowd? I think seeing the graffiti has started to make trump aware of how much of the country hates him and how deeply. It’s probably starting to feel like Atlantic City for him all over again.

The Dowd letter Trump proudly shares; "The phony protesters near Lafayette park were not peaceful and are not real.  They are terrorists."

This is the level of denial/self-delusion required to justify their response to them.

I keep telling y’all.

They operate on a different plane of reality!

https://exjournalistsunite.wordpress.com/2020/02/03/were-living-in-the-republican-partys-altered-states/
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

bodiddley

• View Profile
Mere Surmise Sir
« Reply #36747 on: June 05, 2020, 10:17:24 AM »

Well, I guess at some point I'll need to watch the full video, as depressing as that sounds, in order to talk about the charges in a more informed manner.

Being very new to the department, I assume those two newbies were still in training, and that, along with making some modest effort/suggestion to help the suspect and get Chauvin to desist, should help them.   Some of it depends on their participation level in the pindown.  Some will depend on Chauvin's defense.

They'll need to find out what Chauvin's defense strategy is, and whether they should seek separate trials.  Usually you wouldn't want to be tried in the same inflammatory trial as the definite perpetrator, especially since there will be a ton of media attention.  In a separate trial, these neophytes would look more sympathetic.  Also, it's possible Chauvin pleads guilty to Murder 3 or manslaughter,  or is willing to testify that the other officers at the scene acted appropriately in helping subdue the large George Floyd. 

Though the further away from Chauvin they are and the more they can blame him as a rogue bad apple, the better off they are.  I wouldn't be surprised if racist comments from Chauvin either spoken or on social media or in his email correspondence will come to light.  And all the other complaints against Chauvin and other incidents that didn't generate complaints will be brought up, and some are likely to be a bit ugly, I would surmise.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #36748 on: June 05, 2020, 10:20:00 AM »

Why did Chauvin have his hand in his pocket?
I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere.
I assume to apply more force/pressure without it being obvious he was doing so.

Of course the whole point of the knee on the neck is to physically distress and panic someone without leaving any marks.  The hand in the pocket makes it more sinister, imo.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #36749 on: June 05, 2020, 10:22:19 AM »

Juan Cole took the trouble to try to find out who George Floyd was and listened to Big Floyd's Houston rap output:
https://www.juancole.com/2020/06/remembering-artist-transcendence.html

A good read.  Cole is a mensch.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---
Pages: 1 ... 2448 2449 [2450] 2451 2452 ... 4288