Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2473 2474 [2475] 2476 2477 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1998442 times)

Echo4

• View Profile

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #37111 on: June 07, 2020, 05:55:24 PM »

I was impressed the Maine newspaper openly called for Trump to resign.  I think more of that is on the way.  George Will was saying that not only should Trump lose but the entire GOP establishment should be swept out of office too for aiding and abetting Trump.

George Will and all the Never Trumpers in the Lincoln Project are Baron Viktor Frankenstein who are trying to kill the monster they built and loosed on the land.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #37112 on: June 07, 2020, 05:58:12 PM »

Really the outlines of fascism are there, it's just unlikely Trump is capable of pulling the strings and putting it in place.

The fact that we came as close as we did to having 10,000 active service troops on the streets is fucking scary.  The guardrails held in this case, but we can't take for granted that it will always be so. 

In Barr, for example, Trump found someone willing to gas peaceful demonstrators for a photo op, and send in what amounts to a secret police force to intimidate protesters in DC.  He has people around him willing to go full authoritarian.  Don't sleep on Jared being put in charge of the DOD.

Remember they have private armies at their disposal from Betsy DeVos’ brother Erik Prince.

Achtung, y’all!
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #37113 on: June 07, 2020, 06:05:21 PM »

The alternatives to a democratic election to get rid of the orange-topped despot are probably far worse.

I'm not sure why.  No rule in the Constitution that says a President can't be impeached twice.  Only doubly true of a "president."  Nixon resigned without even needing to be impeached.  Just on the likely prospect.

Not that I expect that to actually happen, of course, because of Trumps trademark combo of shamelessness and cluelessness.  But what I am addressing is the Republican reaction to him, which does not seem to consider the possibility (really, the necessity) of his removal.  If you concede he is a threat to our Democracy, call for him to step down.  Don't just call for him to not be reelected when you know Trump and Putin are going to do everything they can to cheat.

While the House Dems could impeach him on a new charge of high crimes and missed directions, would it do any good? Actually i think it might be counterproductive and just another failed attempt to rouse Repubican courage.

I think I posted here that Murkowski's statement a few days ago supporting Matti's statement was so pathetic. She had the opportunity to hear at least least 4 voices to give testimony to Trump's crimes in office, but couldn't bring herself to participate in a real trial. But she now thinks its about time people are speaking out.

Fuck her and her hypocrisy.

He’s toast.

people in their early twenties went from Barack Obama to Donald Trump.

The largest voting bloc is out in the street protesting this president and the authoritarian bent of this Administration in the midst of a deadly pandemic.

These guys are coming out of college and high school into a country they know doesn’t give a shit about them either.

Only question is how far William Barr will go to protect the presidency.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #37114 on: June 07, 2020, 06:11:05 PM »

Militarizing the DC streets could have made it awfully hard for a peaceful transition should Trump lose.

That is one nightmare scenario.  An election through mostly mail-in ballots gives him the opening he needs to say the results are tainted, and that he isn't going to leave.  Enough Republicans shrug their shoulders, or say "he's right!"  A military and law-enforcement establishment willing to take orders rather than do the right thing...

Anyone who thinks the above scenario isn't a possibility hasn't been paying attention to what the fuck has been going on the last three years.

That shit backfired spectacularly.

Trump sent his secret police onto the streets against American citizens on American soil and the younguns know what’s up.

The governors who aren’t total sycophants are heeding Mayor Bowser’s request they withdraw their national guard. Murphy of New Jersey has recalled their units.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #37115 on: June 07, 2020, 06:14:00 PM »

Perhaps a mail-in ballot election in which the postal service has been defunded and is struggling to function ...

Heaps of mail-in ballots could also mean that reelection results aren't known for a week or so, instead of the quick victories we are accustomed to, which would give Trump time to argue against the results and refuse to leave.

People are in the streets by the hundreds of thousands in 350 places in all 50 states.

If they’ll risk death to protest, good luck keeping these white people out of the voting booth.
The amount of suppression it will take at this point is not likely to be successful.

If these guys don’t just concede and run out the string without doing too much more damage we won’t have to worry about what the GOP will do, it’s what’s the people will do to the GOP.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 06:29:28 PM by LarryBnDC »

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #37116 on: June 07, 2020, 06:20:13 PM »

Calling for armed protesters to disrupt and threaten state gov'ts into reopening the economy was a scary moment.  Especially the armed protesters in the gallery above the state legislators.

This is worrisome too:
Armed bystanders watch Floyd protesters march in Indiana

I've been waiting for 2nd A supporters to show up for 1st A protests.
Maybe it hasn't happened in the cities because of the size of the protests, but we'll see what goes down when say a thousand armed Trump supporters show up to an anti-police violence rally in say Atlanta or Birmingham.

That ship sailed inBirmingham...

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/i-chose-my-city-birmingham-alabama-removes-confederate-monument-faces-n1223511

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #37117 on: June 07, 2020, 06:22:22 PM »

And similarly, we've been considering his resistance to being replaced when he loses for years.

Again, to remind you (and bankshot1) the context of the discussion is Republican resistance.  Yeah, of course we have known about Trump's authoritarian tendencies for years.  But there was a time when those concerns could be dismissed as the fever dreams of the Left.  We knew what kind of person Trump was, but someone in denial could look away.

There is no possible way to do that now. 

45% job approval.

Plenty of ways to deny it and even a few ways to approve of it.

What do you call the guy who gets 45% in a two person race?

Loser.

Lyndon Johnson

barton

« Reply #37118 on: June 07, 2020, 06:23:26 PM »

The Colston statue was great vandalism.
Watch the video as they roll him down the street and dump him in the river.
I also liked how right after the slaver was toppled from his pedestal a young black guy hopped up there in his place.
And Google Maps has relocated the Colston statue in the river.
All very well done.

As it happens,  one of the guys who helps me run a science MB,  is from Bristol.   I liked this snip he posted from BBC report...

"It was thrown into the harbour near the modern Pero footbridge which was named after a young 18th century slave known to have once lived nearby." 

LMAO at the Google Maps relo!   

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #37119 on: June 07, 2020, 06:23:58 PM »

Perhaps a mail-in ballot election in which the postal service has been defunded and is struggling to function ...

Heaps of mail-in ballots could also mean that reelection results aren't known for a week or so, instead of the quick victories we are accustomed to, which would give Trump time to argue against the results and refuse to leave.

Going to say this again:  everyone buy stamps.   Keep them solvent.     

-- forum nag

Mailing masks across the country... first class.

Fran made two masks each for our Postal people.

Lyndon Johnson

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #37120 on: June 07, 2020, 06:32:09 PM »

The alternatives to a democratic election to get rid of the orange-topped despot are probably far worse.

I'm not sure why.  No rule in the Constitution that says a President can't be impeached twice.  Only doubly true of a "president."  Nixon resigned without even needing to be impeached.  Just on the likely prospect.

Not that I expect that to actually happen, of course, because of Trumps trademark combo of shamelessness and cluelessness.  But what I am addressing is the Republican reaction to him, which does not seem to consider the possibility (really, the necessity) of his removal.  If you concede he is a threat to our Democracy, call for him to step down.  Don't just call for him to not be reelected when you know Trump and Putin are going to do everything they can to cheat.

While the House Dems could impeach him on a new charge of high crimes and missed directions, would it do any good? Actually i think it might be counterproductive and just another failed attempt to rouse Repubican courage.

I think I posted here that Murkowski's statement a few days ago supporting Matti's statement was so pathetic. She had the opportunity to hear at least least 4 voices to give testimony to Trump's crimes in office, but couldn't bring herself to participate in a real trial. But she now thinks its about time people are speaking out.

Fuck her and her hypocrisy.

He’s toast.

people in their early twenties went from Barack Obama to Donald Trump.

The largest voting bloc is out in the street protesting this president and the authoritarian bent of this Administration in the midst of a deadly pandemic.

These guys are coming out of college and high school into a country they know doesn’t give a shit about them either.

Only question is how far William Barr will go to protect the presidency.

Barr and McConnell are fucking evil bloodsuckers and Trump's their Renfield. .

I don't want to get wrapped up in paranoid fantasies about donnie and and his malevolent band of fascist vampires, but those fuckers set off my alarms.

strategize, organize, register voters, and get out the vote.

But carrying wooden stakes and garlic might not be a bad idea.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #37121 on: June 07, 2020, 06:33:54 PM »

And similarly, we've been considering his resistance to being replaced when he loses for years.

Again, to remind you (and bankshot1) the context of the discussion is Republican resistance.  Yeah, of course we have known about Trump's authoritarian tendencies for years.  But there was a time when those concerns could be dismissed as the fever dreams of the Left.  We knew what kind of person Trump was, but someone in denial could look away.

45% job approval.

Loser.

The Electoral College is giggling now.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #37122 on: June 07, 2020, 06:36:07 PM »

Achtung

Bitches

I been saying this for damn near three years.

He tried it. He failed.

The Trump presidency ended in Lafayette Square.

Lyndon Johnson

barton

« Reply #37123 on: June 07, 2020, 06:39:38 PM »

25th or impeachment options are just not going to happen unless Mousse O'Leany starts decapitating Girl Scouts and knocking their heads around the WH lawn with a croquet mallet.   I like joining in contemplation of the scenario, but it feels like contemplating benevolent aliens landing and taking away all our nukes:  fun but pure fantasy.   And if anyone tried,  Rethugs would make endless political hay about "purely political stunts while we need to be working together to deal with the current crisis...."  IOW,  gaslighting and hypocrisy to the max.

My point was simple enough, I thought.  If you really think Trump is ignoring the Constitution and is a threat to Democracy then you need to say more than “I’m going to vote for Biden.”

“Our elections may not happen, or count, but if they do I’m going with the other guy.”

Uh, gold star for you?

I did take your point on the virtue signaling.   There's so much political calculation now,  so much half hearted bleating of unease, that it eventually numbs the spirit.

I just get Jacuzzi level squirts of stomach acid when I think about what Mousse and Co.  will unleash if we have another round of impeachment.   And I see no path where the present cabinet could get behind an article 4 move.   

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #37124 on: June 07, 2020, 06:40:55 PM »

45% job approval.

Loser.

The Electoral College is giggling now.

He ain’t gonna pull that move again and this time he isn’t running against Hillary Clinton.
He’s running against Donald Trump.

He Thinks he’s running a Nixon “Law and Order” campaign... except Nixon wasn’t the incumbent.

I wouldn’t be shocked if the Senate turns over.

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 2473 2474 [2475] 2476 2477 ... 4288