Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2495 2496 [2497] 2498 2499 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1997654 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #37440 on: June 09, 2020, 02:42:33 PM »

I do believe that we need to get our damned voting fixed!

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/09/politics/georgia-primary-election-delays/index.html

I'm a little unclear on how the vastly greater number of absentee ballots (25 times greater than last time) would slow down voting in the daytime today, but that is one assertion.

And the claims that everything is working fine seem more than a little off.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #37441 on: June 09, 2020, 02:45:28 PM »

Forgive you for picking out the two polls that make Trump's position look the least bad, for no other rational reason?  I forgive you, kiidcarter8. 

Thanks

I gave you the reason.  Many eventual Trump voters in 2016 did not poll as TRUMP .

So yes, I take the three point bump by using those polls

TIP was also one of the more accurate in 2016 n the end.

No, it wasn't.  it showed Trump up by 2 points nationally.  He ended up losing by more than 2 points nationally.  That's over four points off.  That Trump would eventually end up winning by 70,000 votes in the electoral college does not validate the poll.

The experience in 2016 shows the importance of state polling.  It doesn't invalidate the accuracy of national polling.  And nothing to support giving Trump a three point bump in polling, even if the conditions in 2020 were the same as the were in 2016.  And as I explained, they are not.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #37442 on: June 09, 2020, 02:49:24 PM »

You're kidding, right? You don't see why an innocent man had his life threatened by people worked into a frenzy by what they found in their news feeds and on Facebook, LinkedIn, et alia?

Stunning.

Journalists weren't pointing to the innocent man.  It was random people on the internet who thought they had done some good detective work. 

The news that a man on his bike was assaulting people posting BLM material was correct.  Maybe ask yourself what information sources whipped that man into a such a frenzy that would cause him to physically assault teenagers.

So I still don't get your point.  If you think I am arguing "only conservatives behave badly on the internet" you are willfully misreading what I am saying so that you can occupy a position that you can defend.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #37443 on: June 09, 2020, 02:55:12 PM »

If you can find a major media source on the left that daily made a claim as outrageous as COVID being a hoax cooked up by Democrats, please post it.

I'll give you two examples off the top of my head. Judith Miller and Jason Blair. NYT.
Miller helped get Americans killed, btw.

Weak.  Again, the argument isn't that there aren't any bad journalists in these organizations.  Blair's plagiarism and falsehoods about his own biography isn't remotely comparable to an entire cable news channel's fact free misrepresentation of a global pandemic purely because it provides political cover for the "president" they support.

Sorry, I think its pat bullshit to say "both sides do it" when you can't actually provide an example.  There is no equivalent on the Left to the fact-free state media universe Conservatives are able to live in. 

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37444 on: June 09, 2020, 02:56:38 PM »

People are not protesting Floyd's death  but the toxic police culture and institutional racism that is behind it.  His.death is an example, a symbol, and a flash point.  Not the subject.
How convenient.
How true. And that is the only sardine you are getting from me on this subject.
Obviously.  Since science refutes your bias (along with common sense).

What are you talking about?! "Science" doesn't refute anything he said.
Neither does common sense.
A parrot bit me.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37445 on: June 09, 2020, 03:00:06 PM »

Poll puts Trump down 14 points to Biden in general election showdown

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/poll-trump-down-14-points-to-biden-in-general-election-showdown

before everyone dies of c19 or police brutality

That poll - some would call it an outlier - should right itself next week

General Election: Trump vs. Biden   The Hill/HarrisX   Biden 47, Trump 37   Biden +10
General Election: Trump vs. Biden   CNN   Biden 55, Trump 41   Biden +14

Not much of an outlier.

And yes, it should correct itself, perhaps to Biden +18.

Hillary also had the election sewn up before the voting began
Biden is not Clinton. He does not have her massive negative polling. Voters who dislike both either stayed home or voted for Trump bigly. The dynamic that got him those votes works against him this time. And the type of.October Surprise that gutted Clinton is just not there for Biden.
A parrot bit me.

barton

« Reply #37446 on: June 09, 2020, 03:05:21 PM »

Take the Confederate Names Off Our Army Bases

Agreed.

I was oblivious to the fact that what was then called the “Home of the Infantry” was named for Henry L. Benning, a Confederate general who was such an enthusiast for slavery that as early as 1849 he argued for the dissolution of the Union and the formation of a Southern slavocracy....   

Perhaps we can,  in some cases, find other famous people with the same surnames, so the renaming doesn't require so many changes.   Fort Annette Benning,  for example.  She has contributed to America and she didn't  keep slaves (that I'm aware of).   

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #37447 on: June 09, 2020, 03:14:49 PM »

Biden is not Clinton. He does not have her massive negative polling. Voters who dislike both either stayed home or voted for Trump bigly. The dynamic that got him those votes works against him this time. And the type of.October Surprise that gutted Clinton is just not there for Biden.

On the October Surprise, make no mistake, Trump and Barr are working on that.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #37448 on: June 09, 2020, 03:25:06 PM »

Cap I think Fox distorts its news shows to further a politcal view. Ailes created Fox to protect and promote Republican interests. And thats what it does. And prime time talking heads (opinion not news), Hannity, Carlson, Ingrham are totally in the Trump bag. IMO there is no objectivity on prime time Fox. Again they know they're bullshitting but they don't care. They feed the base a lot of red meat even if it ultimately gives them heart disease.

MSNBC editorial take is almost a mirror political image, but I do not think they distort facts to shape it to a political view. They promote a liberal agenda. And they are selective in their presentations. But knowing the biases I still generally trust their take 

CNN is reasonably neutral in its presentation of facts but it does have an anti-Trump feel to it. but then again Trump has been trying to destroy dissent and free speech in this country for 3 years, and has bashed CNN as fake news, so a spirited defense is IMO warranted.

and I realize you can rationalize the MSNBC/Fox biases as a wash, but one is far more toxic than the other.

I respect your viewpoint Rich. But I am still firmly of the mind that both are incredible homers for their cause/s. And both unabashedly spout out biased propaganda by the truckload.

If I ever saw a news broadcaster these days (any broadcaster) just reporting the news without try to nuance it one way or the other I think I'd fall over with shock.

Cap-I think big picture we're going to have to agree to disagree. While I agree there is too much editorial partisan spin in the newsroom of the 3 cable players, I mentioned, IMO one is purely partisan and to me is disingenuous and with clear political aims. And I understand you might make the same comment about one of the networks.

And this is the tricky part, how do you know if you heard news without nuance? It could be straight reporting. I think we have to trust what we see in the world as limited a perspective as that may be, and do our best to apply common sense to it. And again, I understand you could make the same comment and we would be 180" in disagreement.

Hope you and the family are well.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #37449 on: June 09, 2020, 03:29:26 PM »

Poll puts Trump down 14 points to Biden in general election showdown

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/poll-trump-down-14-points-to-biden-in-general-election-showdown

before everyone dies of c19 or police brutality

That poll - some would call it an outlier - should right itself next week

General Election: Trump vs. Biden   The Hill/HarrisX   Biden 47, Trump 37   Biden +10
General Election: Trump vs. Biden   CNN   Biden 55, Trump 41   Biden +14

Not much of an outlier.

And yes, it should correct itself, perhaps to Biden +18.

Hillary also had the election sewn up before the voting began

Boz-I expect Trump to trick or treat something wicked this year, and Biden will have to be nimble as Nureyev, to avoid stepping on the flaming bag of shit Trump leaves on his porch.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #37450 on: June 09, 2020, 03:36:35 PM »

Forgive you for picking out the two polls that make Trump's position look the least bad, for no other rational reason?  I forgive you, kiidcarter8. 

Thanks

I gave you the reason.  Many eventual Trump voters in 2016 did not poll as TRUMP .

So yes, I take the three point bump by using those polls

TIP was also one of the more accurate in 2016 n the end.

Like the great merchandiser, Yogurt, said; “Forget 2016! 2016 is BUPKUS!
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #37451 on: June 09, 2020, 03:41:39 PM »

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/george-floyds-lawyer-asks-united-nations-to-intervene-in-case/ar-BB15cvRn?li=AAgfYrC&OCID=AVRES000

George Floyd's Lawyer Asks United Nations to Intervene in Case

Ben Crump, the attorney representing George Floyd's family, has called on the United Nations to intervene and investigate the circumstances around the middle-aged black man's death and to make recommendations about law enforcement reforms.

"The United States of America has a long pattern and practice of depriving Black citizens of the fundamental human right to life ...The United States government has consistently failed to hold police accountable and did not bring Federal criminal charges even in cases with irrefutable video evidence. When a group of people of any nation have been systemically deprived of their universal human right to life by its government for decades, it must appeal to the international community for its support and to the United Nations for its intervention," Crump said.

Here's a vid of Malcolm X on TV in 1965 (being called Mr. X by the white interviewers) calling for that exact same thing.  For the UN to investigate human rights abuses in America v. black people.

I'd rather we have a "Kerner" style biparisan multi-racial commission than ask the Russians and Chinese to critique and provide solemn guidance and provide pointers to help us solve our racial problems, societal ills and the unfairness in our soceity.

But to borrow and paraphrase the musing of a wise man, "I'm sure they will mean well."

perhaps we can get North Korea's thoughts as well.

Mr Crump might be better served talking with the Biden camp than the Putin or Xi representatives.

Bi partisan?

With what Republican?

Fuck a study you know what to do.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

barton

Re: Vote suppression in Georgia on my mind
« Reply #37452 on: June 09, 2020, 03:42:14 PM »

ATLANTA (AP) — Voters waited as long as five hours to cast ballots in some Georgia precincts on Tuesday amid reports of voting machine malfunctions and high turnout in a state that President Donald Trump and Democrat Joe Biden are expected to hotly contest in the fall.

The state’s chief elections officer, Republican Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger, announced plans to investigate voting problems that plagued Fulton and Dekalb counties, where roughly half the population is black.

Widespread problems included trouble with Georgia’s new voting system that combines touchscreens with scanned paper ballots in races for president, U.S. Senate and dozens of other contests. Some voters said they joined the lines after requesting mail-in ballots that never arrived. One state lawmaker, Democratic Rep. William Boddie of Atlanta, said there was a “complete meltdown.”   

Brad is going to investigate, yes he is,  by gum!   

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #37453 on: June 09, 2020, 03:42:47 PM »

I see what you are saying, YG

OHIO was actually even more tilted to Trump in 2016 than AZ.  But you are right - if that amount is being made up in those states - then nationally it should carry over

I think Biden should just hire Bruno and go for the 50-state sweep.

Bruno is dead and he was a rightwing nutter anyway.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #37454 on: June 09, 2020, 03:44:26 PM »

If you can find a major media source on the left that daily made a claim as outrageous as COVID being a hoax cooked up by Democrats, please post it.

I'll give you two examples off the top of my head. Judith Miller and Jason Blair. NYT.
Miller helped get Americans killed, btw.

Remember that the substance of Miller’s bullshit was a false idea that the republican leadership at the time was not a pack of raving cannibals with no plan. The republican leadership at the time, as they are now, were raving cannibals. They’ve never had a plan or a clue. The Times is a center-right outlet.

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 2495 2496 [2497] 2498 2499 ... 4288