Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2589 2590 [2591] 2592 2593 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1785403 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #38850 on: June 18, 2020, 03:12:20 AM »

After shooting Brooks, Rolfe said "I got him" and kicked Brooks, and Brosnan then stood on Brooks' shoulder, Howard said. The officers did not provide medical aid to Brooks for over two minutes after shooting him, Howard said.

One of Rolfe's gunshots also hit an occupied vehicle nearby in the Wendy's lot, endangering the passengers inside.

Brosnan has agreed to be a state's witness, Howard said.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/17/us/rayshard-brooks-atlanta-shooting-wednesday/index.html

I think the failure to provide medical aid, if that is the case, is pretty damning.

DA performance was laughable

Yeah. That’s why the second cop rolled.

The DA wrapped this case in a bow.

Evidence - videos video videos
Testimony - fellows whose car caught around. Witnesses (plural) plus THE SECOND COP.

Thin Blue Line is fraying.

Can we have a retraction. LB?

Nope.

Brosnan is on an island. He rolled got the rat treatment and may withdraw cooperation but he’s out in the cold. He can’t go home again.

He could stick to the code of cop omertà until it comes down cooperate or not. Roll and get a deal or toe the line and stand up for the Department... “Well? Do you feel lucky?”

He may not have offered to cooperate but he’s burned. No cops will trust him.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #38851 on: June 18, 2020, 03:15:09 AM »

Attorneys for officer Devin Brosnan refuted Fulton County District Attorney Paul L. Howard Jr.’s assertion that Brosnan would be a “state’s witness” in the case against Garrett Rolfe.

If I were Brosnan, I would not want to have publicly declared I would be the state's witness. I suspect this is damage control - note that the lawyers did not claim Howard lied. They promised his cooperation with the office just as he cooperated with the GBI.

I suspect that Howard did not lie and the lawyers are lying at this point, but that could be wrong - Howard could have jumped the gun.

Howard burned him. To his fellow cops he’s a rat or a potential rat. He has very few options.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #38852 on: June 18, 2020, 03:17:39 AM »

Thanks to the efforts of MADD (which began 45 years ago) driving drunk is an offense police have no leeway. No warnings allowed. Offenders are charged, period! No exceptions.

I doubt this is true.
Maybe after a breathalyzer reading is over the legal limit.
But a cop has plenty of discretion on whether to administer a sobriety test, can use discretion with regard to what constitutes passing a sobriety test, and can decide whether to administer a breathalyzer or not.  That's a lot of leeway and discretion.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #38853 on: June 18, 2020, 03:17:53 AM »

What Georgia law says

Georgia law allows a person to use deadly force "only if he or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent death or great bodily injury to himself or herself or a third person."
In addition, the Atlanta Police policy manual, which was most recently updated last week, says that an officer can use deadly force when "He or she reasonably believes that the suspect possesses a deadly weapon or any object, device, or instrument which, when used offensively against a person is likely to or actually does result in serious bodily injury and when he or she reasonably believes that the suspect poses an immediate threat of serious bodily injury to the officer or others."

Bitch please. He wasn’t by himself. Either he was over zealous or he didn’t think his buddy had his back.

Neither is good.

He shot a fleeing suspect in the back. That’s against the law.

Lyndon Johnson

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #38854 on: June 18, 2020, 03:34:17 AM »

"herd immunity", it is what Sweden is doing. the death toll is high for such a country....but the economy is strong.

Sweden, UK and Turkey all intended to go for herd immunity, just let the virus take its course.  Then they realized how much death and suffering that would entail -- I called the British plan the Dead Granny strategy -- and all of them modified their initial stance and went with limited lockdowns. 

The result:
UK with more cases and more deaths than any other Euro-country. 

Sweden nearly 5000 deaths compared with 600 deaths in Finland and Norway combined -- which equalizes the population (10M to 11M combined).  Sweden has mostly admitted they made a mistake with their initial do-little approach, and apparently they only managed something like 12% infection rate, far from the 60% or more needed in theory for herd immunity.  Of course they gave up the strategy after a while and went with a halfway measure of mild voluntary lockdown.  They realized it was going to be very destructive to get to herd immunity.

Turkey?  Not sure what's going down there.  But they are close to bumping Germany or Iran for the Top 10 in infections.  And I wouldn't trust their numbers much, since everything there is controlled by Erdogan and his cronies.

I didn't realize that Peru was #8 in infections. closing in on Italy and Spain. 
Chile #12 behind Turkey and ahead of France. 
For SA, you mostly here about Brasil.  Another country that thought they could do nothing and it would be okay.  2nd most cases, 2nd most deaths.

No country has had the stomach to fully try herd immunity.  The countries that took few measures and thought they could just let the virus take its course have done terrible in terms of cases and deaths.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 04:07:28 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38855 on: June 18, 2020, 03:51:13 AM »

While trump has helped Covid take more than a WWI, more than 30 9/11’s, or 3000 Benghazis, so far.

The guy is even a traitor in the wars against diseases.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #38856 on: June 18, 2020, 04:22:17 AM »

The opposite of lockdown is 'herd immunity'.
Protect the most vulnerable, and everyone else carries on with life as normal.
"96% of covid-19 cases will be mild".
"The herd gets the virus, recovers, and becomes immune."...Sweden went with that.
Just have to suffer all the deaths, and the damaged.

Sweden went with that and concluded (a) herd immunity wasn't happening and (b) they did the wrong thing.

If 4% of our country died from something, that would be 13.2 million people that you are so cavalierly killing off.

Do you ever get tired of being so terribly wrong?

I didn't say you should do it.
I said Sweden tried it.

You intimated that we should, but I pointed out that Sweden views their experiment as having not worked.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #38857 on: June 18, 2020, 04:23:12 AM »

This is a few years old, but is relevant today:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4899119/?fbclid=IwAR0vo4RZVEkvkEt6R1R1x-IYSLu-29KZnYUJg9agrrZtFRaPxR3ZaLOf4t8

Blacks face higher risk of drugs arrests in white neighborhoods.

Maybe they didn't get the "Say NO to drugs" memo.

Said nothing about use.

Just arrests.

READ.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #38858 on: June 18, 2020, 04:33:31 AM »

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4899119/?fbclid=IwAR0vo4RZVEkvkEt6R1R1x-IYSLu-29KZnYUJg9agrrZtFRaPxR3ZaLOf4t8

Said nothing about use.

Just arrests.

READ.

No to anything to do with drugs...using, dealing, smuggling.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #38859 on: June 18, 2020, 04:37:01 AM »

"The herd gets the virus, recovers, and becomes immune."...Sweden went with that.

Sweden went with that and concluded (a) herd immunity wasn't happening and (b) they did the wrong thing.

If 4% of our country died from something, that would be 13.2 million people that you are so cavalierly killing off.

I said Sweden tried it.

You intimated that we should, but I pointed out that Sweden views their experiment as having not worked.

I didn't.
I was detailing the opposite of lockdowns....and the 'herd immunity" some people eembrace.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 04:40:44 AM by bambu. »

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #38860 on: June 18, 2020, 04:42:53 AM »

I didn't realize that Peru was #8 in infections. closing in on Italy and Spain. 
Chile #12 behind Turkey and ahead of France. 
For SA, you mostly here about Brasil.  Another country that thought they could do nothing and it would be okay.  2nd most cases, 2nd most deaths.

Brazil is another place where the guy in charge played strongman and the coronavirus was unimpressed. I put them in the same pot as Turkey - no trust in their numbers.

There are 4 SA countries lumped together in deaths per million, mostly moving up fast.

I don't currently expect the US to break into the selective group of deaths at the top, let alone catch Belgium. Even with the dour IHME prediction, so long as they stick to the primary forecast they will still be well shy of the Belgium figure.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #38861 on: June 18, 2020, 04:44:17 AM »

Said nothing about use.

Just arrests.

READ.

No to anything to do with drugs...using, dealing, smuggling.

Still not getting it.

Getting arrested does not require having done anything. It only requires being in the eye of the arresting officer.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #38862 on: June 18, 2020, 04:45:45 AM »

I said Sweden tried it.

I didn't.
I was detailing the opposite of lockdowns....and the 'herd immunity" some people eembrace.

But it isn't. And you were. But whatever, Bambi. I should go back to letting you blather without response.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #38863 on: June 18, 2020, 04:48:19 AM »

Bolton alleging that Trump gave his approval to China's detention camps in their Muslim far west, and that Trump asked China's leader to buy more farm products to help his reelection bid.

Wow!

Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #38864 on: June 18, 2020, 04:50:55 AM »

https://www.facebook.com/ItsGoneViralOfficial/videos/691924118050472/

Police talking about the murder of George Floyd.
Pages: 1 ... 2589 2590 [2591] 2592 2593 ... 4288