Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2592 2593 [2594] 2595 2596 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1862257 times)

barton

Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #38895 on: June 18, 2020, 11:33:00 AM »

Cream of Wheat chef is now on the chopping block,  too.   Apparently the purpose of African Americans is not to serve us our meals.   Expect angry tweets ahead.

Look up "Rastus" and it becomes pretty clear he is as problematic as the others.

That was my point.   Replacing Rastus with Chef White only removed the overt racism.   The subtext, of blacks as servile, remained the same.   

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #38897 on: June 18, 2020, 11:38:14 AM »

Cream of Wheat chef is now on the chopping block,  too.   Apparently the purpose of African Americans is not to serve us our meals.   Expect angry tweets ahead.

Look up "Rastus" and it becomes pretty clear he is as problematic as the others.

That was my point.   Replacing Rastus with Chef White only removed the overt racism.   The subtext, of blacks as servile, remained the same.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #38898 on: June 18, 2020, 11:40:32 AM »

I wonder how far Trump will go in asking foreign powers to help him win an election?

Dropping sanctions on the Russians to advance a Moscow real estate deal?

Getting the Russians to interfere in the '16 elections.

$400 million in taxpayer money to extort the Ukrainians to set-up Biden?

And now China, an  artifiially sweetened deal paid for by blue-states, to get China to pump money to US farmers in red states.

Big fucking surprise.

I also wonder whats the fucking tipping point for kid to eventually see the light?

Not really.

He drank the orange kool-aide a long time ago.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #38899 on: June 18, 2020, 11:45:49 AM »

https://www.statnews.com/2020/06/17/racial-bias-skews-algorithms-widely-used-to-guide-patient-care/

Racial bias skews algorithms widely used to guide care from heart surgery to birth, study finds

Pretty fucked up.

Also, almost all drugs are tested on white males and then the results extrapolated to minorities and females.  White males get accurate results and benefits, everyone else gets guesswork.

This is true.

Which is why I have put my healthcare with mostly younger Women of color because I figure they have grandpas and dads so when I say this hurts they tend to not dismiss what I say.

And your wife believes you?

LOL.

Yes. We accompany each other on our visits.

I learned how to navigate the system in the mid 90s when we didn’t have health insurance and she has MS.

I just laughed when I contemplated the silver lining to your choice of healthcare provider.

Hope all are well in your family.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #38900 on: June 18, 2020, 11:51:50 AM »

I wonder how far Trump will go in asking foreign powers to help him win an election?

Dropping sanctions on the Russians to advance a Moscow real estate deal?

Getting the Russians to interfere in the '16 elections.

$400 million in taxpayer money to extort the Ukrainians to set-up Biden?

And now China, an  artifiially sweetened deal paid for by blue-states, to get China to pump money to US farmers in red states.

Big fucking surprise.

I also wonder whats the fucking tipping point for kid to eventually see the light?

Not really.

He drank the orange kool-aide a long time ago.

There is no tipping point for these guys.

Fast forward below to 14:00

This is today’s GOP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTAuT6ZMZXM
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38901 on: June 18, 2020, 12:00:34 PM »

Bolton alleging that Trump gave his approval to China's detention camps in their Muslim far west, and that Trump asked China's leader to buy more farm products to help his reelection bid.

Wow!

How is this shocking?
It isn't, but it should be. That you do not have a problem with the President begging an adversary for political assistance without any nexus to the national good speaks volumes about how much Trump has corrupted his followers. But it does help explain why Trump was so complimentary of China's COVID response until he desperately needed a scapegoat.
Please. Accept the mystery.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #38902 on: June 18, 2020, 12:13:03 PM »

Bolton alleging that Trump gave his approval to China's detention camps in their Muslim far west, and that Trump asked China's leader to buy more farm products to help his reelection bid.

Wow!

How is this shocking?

Helps our farmers as well.

It wasn't in the context of a trade deal between the US and China.  Trump wasn't asking China to buy more farm products and in return he would give them better terms (in fact, if you look at the history of the conversation relayed by Bolton, its the opposite.  Trump proposed keeping the terms the same.)

It was openly about his election.  Trump was asking for a personal favor.  If you don't see that as highly problematic in terms of what China would then ask in return, well...I'm not going to bother telling a Trumpist why Trump is corrupt.  Ultimately, for you guys, thats the point.

heh

the humanity!!!

Imagine if Trump ever tried to get other nations to buy more American made cars....

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #38903 on: June 18, 2020, 12:21:20 PM »

Unfortunately the extreme polarization of the US electorate has been a boon to the GOP.  W Bush and Trump have been huge disasters, yet they/the GOP can count on nearly 40% of the voting populace as an automatic backstop. 

In more normal less partisan times, Biden would win in a landslide vs. Trump due to the economy, the virus mishandling, the overt racism, the protests, Trump's extensive lying, Trump's extremely poor management of everything, the nepotism, the corruption, the cronies who have been indicted, the impeachment, the polarization itself, plus the boorish and crude behavior, etc.

What does that tell you about white people in the USA?

That James Baldwin was right 55 years ago and would be right saying the same thing today.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #38904 on: June 18, 2020, 12:23:16 PM »

On the real tip...

If John Bolton had testified during the impeachment trial it would have made NOT ONE BUT OF DIFFERENCE.

Might have swayed public opinion a little.

Not GOP Senators, though.

oilcan

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #38906 on: June 18, 2020, 12:35:28 PM »

Wow!

How is this shocking?

Helps our farmers as well.

It wasn't in the context of a trade deal between the US and China.  Trump wasn't asking China to buy more farm products and in return he would give them better terms (in fact, if you look at the history of the conversation relayed by Bolton, its the opposite.  Trump proposed keeping the terms the same.)

It was openly about his election.  Trump was asking for a personal favor.  If you don't see that as highly problematic in terms of what China would then ask in return, well...I'm not going to bother telling a Trumpist why Trump is corrupt.  Ultimately, for you guys, thats the point.

heh

the humanity!!!

Imagine if Trump ever tried to get other nations to buy more American made cars....

Imagine if Trump ever offered to trade your life for more support.

You are such an ass.

Echo4

• View Profile

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38909 on: June 18, 2020, 12:55:23 PM »

China’s new coronavirus outbreak in Beijing is a sobering reminder that in the story of this global pandemic, we are likely only in the first chapter.

China has been very concerned about a possible 2nd Wave.  Or the virus being seasonal and returning circa November.  Another worry is that China did perhaps too good a job eliminating the virus so that Chinese are more susceptible than other countries citizens, as the virus affected so few in China (outside Hubei Province). And international travelers have a higher likelihood of having the virus than Chinese who have stayed in China.

And while the 150-plus infections found so far in Beijing are far fewer than what’s being reported daily in the U.S., what’s unsettling is that they erupted after nearly 60 days without any known infections in the city.

I don't think that's accurate. I know Shanghai has has assorted cases arrive at the airport in April/early May.  And I believe the same for Beijing, not to mention a few cases slipping in from the ex-Manchurian region.  Also 60 days seems too long.  There would have been confirmed cases in BJ hospitals mid-April.  I think what they mean is that there weren't any known cases of transmission in Beijing for 60 days, not that there weren't any cases at all.  But I'd have to check to be sure.

I think Australia is to blame for China's problem.

And, like you, I don't think we know who has the virus, who doesn't, who's been exposed, who hasn't, what it means to have the anti-bodies as results of the tests are often not so accurate.

But the food supply issue is a big deal, and should be watched carefully, no matter where you are globally.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.
Pages: 1 ... 2592 2593 [2594] 2595 2596 ... 4288