Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2647 2648 [2649] 2650 2651 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 2005119 times)

kidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #39720 on: June 24, 2020, 10:25:23 AM »

The core question for those who favor democracy is not speed of tabulation,  but equal access by all voters.   As Trump knows perfectly well,  mail voting improves access for many voters,  many in the demographic that knows the GOP policies suck for them.

#1 reason why people don't like to vote by mail -

They are not certain the vote will be properly counted
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #39721 on: June 24, 2020, 10:28:45 AM »

Now... what's with the renewed talk, the worry about the virus getting more severe when late fall/winter come - due to the temp change?

I thought that wasn't a factor.  Or was it just convenient at the time to say so?

What was said at the time is that the warm temperatures in Summer would not be a cure.  And that was correct.

What is the temperature like right now in Arizona?
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #39722 on: June 24, 2020, 10:29:46 AM »

The core question for those who favor democracy is not speed of tabulation,  but equal access by all voters.   As Trump knows perfectly well,  mail voting improves access for many voters,  many in the demographic that knows the GOP policies suck for them.

And the #1 reason people think that is a "president" who is lying to them, telling them the vote won't be properly counted.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39723 on: June 24, 2020, 10:32:06 AM »

Except there is no more danger of that than with regular votes. At least, that has been the experience of the states using it. And of course, most states still do in person voting if you are worried.
A parrot bit me.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #39724 on: June 24, 2020, 10:33:00 AM »

We won't know for a week, Kid. Ditto the race in NY and maybe a couple others.

Yeah.  Good advertising for mail instance.  Imagine waiting a week or 2 or 3 after November 3.
Heh.
That is why we need to help states prepare for mail in voting. Money to hire more workers, invest in tech. We had to wait about a week for a declared winner in several statewide races because of counting ma ins, early voting and drop of voting. As much as I like election night drama I would rather have more people voting, and voting safely.

If we did not have a minority rule party in charge that was determined to repress votes, we would be pouring resources into mail-in voting right now. 

Republicans are doing their best to make November a shit-show while claiming that Democrats want November to be a shit-show.

"Imagine waiting two weeks to know the winner!"  The horror.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #39725 on: June 24, 2020, 10:35:39 AM »

No denying...COVID is a tough mother.

So why then is Trump denying it?

Mideast Peace.

Affordable health.

Nobody knew the virus was going to be this tough. Nobody has ever seen one like it before.

Same dance moves, even when the song changes.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #39726 on: June 24, 2020, 10:36:13 AM »

Now... what's with the renewed talk, the worry about the virus getting more severe when late fall/winter come - due to the temp change?

I thought that wasn't a factor.  Or was it just convenient at the time to say so?

What was said at the time is that the warm temperatures in Summer would not be a cure.  And that was correct.

Cure?

Heh.  Funny.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #39727 on: June 24, 2020, 10:37:19 AM »

Re:. Hospitalizations

Don't know what you have heard but seems the newly sick/hospitalized are less severe cases.

Must be why they're running out of beds in the ICUs in 3 states.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #39728 on: June 24, 2020, 10:44:52 AM »

Cure?

Heh.  Funny.

Yeah it was funny:

“Maybe this goes away with heat and light. It seems like that’s the case,” the president speculated. “I think a lot of people are going to go outside all of a sudden.” Trump cited the data as evidence that he was correct when he had previously suggested that warmer weather would stop the spread of the disease.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/trump-says-coronavirus-could-be-thwarted-by-summer-heat-citing-dhs-study-2020-04-23

Too bad so many had to die for the joke.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #39729 on: June 24, 2020, 11:08:44 AM »

It's a novel coronavirus.  So nobody really knows much about its long term behavior.

Flus tend to survive and thrive in cold weather, and that's a possibility with CV-19.  Especially since it emerged in mid/late December, exactly at flu season.  But no one can say if CV-19 will be a seasonal virus, or if it will continue year round at full strength, or will fade away once transmissions are stopped (a la SARS and MERS).

In late Feb, Trump said that the virus was likely to just disappear in the warm weather ... of April. 

As for COVID-19 long term behavior, it's unclear how human antibodies will work.  How long they'll stay in your system and how effective they will respond to a reinfection.

A lot of unknowns, including which type of vaccine will work best and when it will be ready.  What treatments will be most effective (Trump and kiid's favorite, the malarial drug seems to have dropped out of the race).  Trump might have been just kidding about taking it.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #39730 on: June 24, 2020, 11:09:43 AM »

We won't know for a week, Kid. Ditto the race in NY and maybe a couple others.

Yeah.  Good advertising for mail instance.  Imagine waiting a week or 2 or 3 after November 3.
Heh.
That is why we need to help states prepare for mail in voting. Money to hire more workers, invest in tech. We had to wait about a week for a declared winner in several statewide races because of counting ma ins, early voting and drop of voting. As much as I like election night drama I would rather have more people voting, and voting safely.

If we did not have a minority rule party in charge that was determined to repress votes, we would be pouring resources into mail-in voting right now. 

Republicans are doing their best to make November a shit-show while claiming that Democrats want November to be a shit-show.

"Imagine waiting two weeks to know the winner!"  The horror.
Voting procedures are delegated to the states by the Constitution.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #39731 on: June 24, 2020, 11:12:38 AM »

Just to clarify:  the metric for a pandemic's effect is HOSPITALIZATIONS,  and not positive tests.   

Thanks, Papi
Clue in bodiddley

Your posts are increasingly inane and unintelligible.

Not sure why you're dragging me into this, but I've said that very same thing before.  That I'd like to see data on COVID hospitalizations not just deaths and positive test results.  I've mentioned the deaths a lot because that's obviously an awful result with tremendous impact. 

But I had a lengthy post recently saying we focus too much on deaths and not enough on people who get sick from the virus and survive, people who experience various degrees of physical problems including a % who thought they would die or came close to it.

We need to test a lot and find positive cases so they can be quarantined, not infect others, be monitored, and so public health officials know what is going on and can respond appropriately.  But between Deaths and Positives, there's a large group of Hospitalizations that should be tabulated and reported.  And of course that would make Trump and his Admin look even worse on their failed response.

And to get at the Actual Infection rate, multiply the Confirmed Positives by a factor of 5x to 10x.  Most likely between 10M - 20M Americans have been infected by Covid-19. 

No denying...COVID is a tough mother.

Good to remember.  Not your average virus.  Not an average crisis for a president.
Yep and a nightmare for an incompetent president.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 11:14:49 AM by Yankguy1 »
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #39732 on: June 24, 2020, 11:14:24 AM »

The best way to insure your vote is to cast it in person at a voting booth.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #39733 on: June 24, 2020, 11:22:59 AM »

Nice to see some adult Judges have settled the Michael Flynn case.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39734 on: June 24, 2020, 11:24:01 AM »

Yesterday temps reached what we call Hundred and God it is FUCKING HOT!
A parrot bit me.
Pages: 1 ... 2647 2648 [2649] 2650 2651 ... 4288