Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2701 2702 [2703] 2704 2705 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1608177 times)

bankshot1

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #40530 on: June 29, 2020, 01:28:24 PM »

And which one of you fuckers said Beetlejuice 3-times?

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40531 on: June 29, 2020, 01:30:18 PM »

Which makes it awfully strange that we are briefing our allies on it...

I dont think so.  Nations share all kinds of banter, including unsubstantiated theoreticals
No they don't.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #40532 on: June 29, 2020, 01:30:37 PM »

Why does someone jump to the conclusion that everyone in the government is lying and
only Trump is telling the truth?
Because of Trump's consistent and long-standing policy of ALWAYS telling the truth.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #40533 on: June 29, 2020, 01:45:04 PM »

United States intelligence officers and Special Operations forces in Afghanistan alerted their superiors as early as January to a suspected Russian plot to pay bounties to the Taliban to kill American troops in Afghanistan, according to officials briefed on the matter. They believed at least one U.S. troop death was the result of the bounties, two of the officials said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/28/us/politics/russian-bounties-warnings-trump.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Yeah, that sure sounds like a discredited hoax to me.

What arent you understanding?

SUSPECTED Russian plot.  Thus it gets investigated.  Nobody has said otherwise.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #40534 on: June 29, 2020, 02:34:56 PM »

United States intelligence officers and Special Operations forces in Afghanistan alerted their superiors as early as January to a suspected Russian plot to pay bounties to the Taliban to kill American troops in Afghanistan, according to officials briefed on the matter. They believed at least one U.S. troop death was the result of the bounties, two of the officials said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/28/us/politics/russian-bounties-warnings-trump.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Yeah, that sure sounds like a discredited hoax to me.

What arent you understanding?

SUSPECTED Russian plot.  Thus it gets investigated.  Nobody has said otherwise.

Trump said otherwise.

He said that he has been told that it was discredited, and then called it a hoax cooked up by the NY Times.

And what is being investigated (if reports are true) is not that the plot existed (both US and Nato officials have all but confirmed that it does) but whether or not that plot has actually led to the deaths of NATO troops.

And if those reports are to be believed, those same officials have good reason to think that it has.

In other words, calling this thing a hypothetical is total bullshit.  You don't investigate hypotheticals.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #40535 on: June 29, 2020, 02:43:26 PM »

And which one of you fuckers said Beetlejuice 3-times?

I said Betelgeuse! I was discussing the star system with one of my students!

barton

« Reply #40536 on: June 29, 2020, 02:55:03 PM »

Also, you are a RACIST. Just need to remind people of an important fact.

It's not helpful...

It's pretty rare that calling someone a racist is really intended to be helpful.   Most of what's posted here,  including from you,  is not really crafted to offer some form of assistance.   

A lot of posts are basically "just a reminder,  Trump is still a piece of shit."   Or "just a reminder,  Trump won in 2016."  Or,  "Hi,  I'm still a clueless partisan zombie....MAGAAAAAAAAAAA!  "  Or,  "somewhere in the world,  a black person and/or non-Christian did something really scary,  and why can't we just have total white Christian hegemony over the entire Earth? "   Or,  "Hi,  I'm a caring and virtuous person who scans 347 news outlets and social media platforms every day so that not one event,  not one episode of Papuan acne or polar bear flatulence,  will fail to be recorded in The Akashic Chronicle!" 

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #40537 on: June 29, 2020, 02:58:56 PM »

More dumb Trumpists...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8467075/St-Louis-couple-point-firearms-protesters-outside-home-marching-demand-mayors-resignation.html

Outside of the fact that they were committing a criminal felony, dumb because of course there was no actual danger to their precious home, but now they have made it a target.  If that place isn't spray painted up by the end of the week, I for one, would be surprised.

News reports withheld the address, but it took me all of 2 minutes on google maps to find the house.  Corner of Portland Place and KingshighwayBlvd.

And of course Trump proudly reposts video.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #40538 on: June 29, 2020, 03:00:34 PM »

It's not helpful...

It's pretty rare that calling someone a racist is really intended to be helpful.   Most of what's posted here,  including from you,  is not really crafted to offer some form of assistance.   

A lot of posts are basically "just a reminder,  Trump is still a piece of shit."   Or "just a reminder,  Trump won in 2016."  Or,  "Hi,  I'm still a clueless partisan zombie....MAGAAAAAAAAAAA!  "  Or,  "somewhere in the world,  a black person and/or non-Christian did something really scary,  and why can't we just have total white Christian hegemony over the entire Earth? "   Or,  "Hi,  I'm a caring and virtuous person who scans 347 news outlets and social media platforms every day so that not one event,  not one episode of Papuan acne or polar bear flatulence,  will fail to be recorded in The Akashic Chronicle!"

I'm guessing I'm the "just a reminder, Trump is still a piece of shit" poster.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #40539 on: June 29, 2020, 03:04:04 PM »

Or,  "Hi,  I'm a caring and virtuous person who scans 347 news outlets and social media platforms every day so that not one event,  not one episode of Papuan acne or polar bear flatulence,  will fail to be recorded in The Akashic Chronicle!"

That's not fair!

I only scan 231 of them. And I have never talked about any bear's flatulence!

Yet, anyway.

Bear pole dancing, on the other hand...

https://www.google.com/search?q=bear+pole+dancing&sxsrf=ALeKk00d2OX58bg1C3lFA6GChNd1k7EOHg:1593457399928&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=3LXPAKp6SqnyZM%252CFoEe_MqT05QQeM%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kR2y6U1e0OHHaM-AMj_THIs-H5QDw&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiC7qWy26fqAhX9oHIEHRa8CvcQ9QEwAXoECAEQHQ&biw=1280&bih=578

barton

« Reply #40540 on: June 29, 2020, 03:12:31 PM »

LOL!

If bear flatulence were linked to climate change, we'd both be posting about it.   

barton

« Reply #40541 on: June 29, 2020, 03:16:09 PM »

It's not helpful...

I'm guessing I'm the "just a reminder, Trump is still a piece of shit" poster.

That describes several posters here.   And those posts probably best fulfill the purpose of being watchdogs on our so-called government.

oilcan

« Reply #40542 on: June 29, 2020, 03:26:20 PM »

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #40543 on: June 29, 2020, 03:35:46 PM »

Early on, the US response seemed disorganized and chaotic, without enough urgency.  And I thought about raising the alarm, but I figured they had plans for stuff like this, that the US Gov't has a lot of resources, that they'd get in gear after a bit and handle it okay.  I thought the main issue was they were wasting time and missing an opportunity to get ahead of the virus. 

Never did I imagine the US would just bungle the whole thing, then the Feds would wash their hands and punt to the States, and that there never would be a coordinated national policy.  Even more mindboggling was the politicization of the virus itself and mask-wearing.

And then after inadequate lockdowns and half measures, many states started opening up too soon.  While the Feds own reopening guidelines were just tossed in the trash.  And again it looked like a disaster and I should raise the alarm. 
But I'm not there and don't see what's going on.  Most of my info comes from family in NJ and CA.  And it's hard to believe states would just reopen and let the virus spread.  But that's what is happening.  It's really unbelievable stuff.

Except for backing masks strongly, I feel like I was too quiet and mild about what I feared was going to happen, and basically what was inevitably going to happen given the behavior of the US population and the gov'ts.  I haven't focused on numbers and data and trends in the US, but just kept focused on how to stop transmission of a respiratory virus.  It's not that hard to do.  A 10-12 week fairly strong national lockdown with mask wearing in public places would have limited the spread, the infections, the deaths the harm to the economy.  And plenty of unemployed folks should have been employed as contact tracers.  So mini-outbreaks could be stamped out quickly.

This endless rolling disaster was avoidable and an embarrassing failure.  It really is sad.  Have to say I'm glad I'm not in the US.  I was intending to return for a month in December, for the first time since 2008, but the way things are, I doubt I'll venture into what will likely still be a medium to high-risk zone.  We'll see.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

barton

« Reply #40544 on: June 29, 2020, 03:39:38 PM »

Just a reminder,  Trump is still a piece of shit....

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump on Sunday tweeted approvingly of a video showing one of his supporters chanting “white power,” a racist slogan associated with white supremacists. He later deleted the tweet and the White House said the president had not heard “the one statement” on the video.

The video appeared to have been taken at The Villages, a Florida retirement community, and showed dueling demonstrations between Trump supporters and opponents.

“Thank you to the great people of The Villages,” Trump tweeted. Moments into the video clip he shared, a man driving a golf cart displaying pro-Trump signs and flags shouts ’white power.” The video also shows anti-Trump protesters shouting “Nazi,” “racist,” and profanities at the Trump backers.... 

https://apnews.com/7eea48b80f14474b7057967a9654c4f0

Pages: 1 ... 2701 2702 [2703] 2704 2705 ... 4288