Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2723 2724 [2725] 2726 2727 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1607098 times)

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #40860 on: July 01, 2020, 10:45:54 AM »

"On July the Fourth, we are going to shut Atlantic City down to show the light of systemic racism, and the issues economically and socially, and the oppression that happens right here in Atlantic City," Young said during the interview.

A protest and march through the city on May 31 began peacefully but deteriorated into rioting and looting.

Several businesses, especially in the area Tanger Outlets near Baltic Avenue, were damaged, so much so that some businesses have yet to reopen. The mayor said that although he does not feel the protests will reach the level of intensity that occurred in May, and that he’s in favor of peaceful protests, law enforcement agencies will be ready if the situation calls for their intervention.

“We cannot afford another embarrassment,” Small said. “This is the time for everyone to step up. We cannot have people coming in from out of town, destroying our businesses, destroying our properties, and destroy Atlantic City’s good name.”

Small also addressed reports that the Pagan’s Motorcycle Club was headed to the city Saturday.

“I learned some information that the Pagans motorcycle gang was supposed to come here and try to intervene. That is all fine and dandy. However, we are going to take care of our affairs here in the city of Atlantic City

The Pagans have been beefing up their membership in New Jersey, state officials said this past October during public hearings about outlaw motorcycle clubs.

The club has always been strong in South Jersey, but evidence shows they are growing in the north too. State law enforcement officials estimated then that they have 300 members in 17 chapters throughout the state - with a 50% increase in chapters over the past three years

https://www.nj.com/atlantic/2020/06/atlantic-city-trying-to-ward-off-george-floyd-protest-that-could-bring-pagans-bikers-to-town.html

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #40861 on: July 01, 2020, 10:47:03 AM »

Not an endorsement of de Blasio's COVID response, but New York is seeing the experience of other states re: reopening indoor dining establishments and bars, and is acting accordingly despite its own drop in cases.

This shouldn't be hard.  Prioritize health over economic activity, because if you rush to open and people get sick, that economic activity is going to grind to a halt anyway.

"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
Re: An Obvious Tragedy Ready to Occur ...
« Reply #40862 on: July 01, 2020, 10:48:26 AM »

Have to say that having armed protesters (and/or armed counter-protesters) is going to end badly some time.  The folks with weapons in the gallery above the Michigan lawmakers made it pretty clear that intimidation is bad enough.  But at some point someone is going to fire their weapon during a protest and others might respond.  It might even become a new form of mass shooting.  But the combination of inflamed passions and high-powered weaponry is not going to end well.

Amen.

Time the protesters all went home.
Back to the sunken place, eh bambu? But then you are a RACIST IDIOT.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #40863 on: July 01, 2020, 10:50:20 AM »

As the statement you quoted said, states reopened despite not meeting those guidelines, and many did so under pressure from Trump.  That isn't arguable.

I think I was clear

Some states MET the guidelines, opened and still had case increases.

Was this just expected - with the increase in tests?  Or were the guidelines possibly not stringent enough?

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40864 on: July 01, 2020, 10:51:10 AM »

Dividing highways:

...as L.A.’s population surged from 320,000 in 1910 to more than 1.2 million in 1930 — including tens of thousands of African Americans from the Deep South — white Los Angeles decided it was time to ramp up its own brand of Jim Crow segregation.

These efforts took many forms — most famously racially restrictive covenants, which barred African Americans and other ethnic minorities by deed from living in houses and neighborhoods deemed “white.” Where covenants failed to keep the races separate and unequal, rising Ku Klux Klan violence targeted African American families who attempted to integrate. Bombings, cross burnings and even drive-by shootings were largely successful in keeping people of color out of “white” communities like Eagle Rock in northeast Los Angeles. Then there was Manhattan Beach, which seized the homes of every African American property owner in town by eminent domain and razed them. The city then turned the land into a whites-only park.

But neither the Klan nor legally dubious covenants nor flagrantly unconstitutional land grabs were arguably as effective as the automobile and its attendant infrastructure at turning Los Angeles into an intentionally segregated city.

When the 1944 Federal-Aid Highway Act allocated funds for 1,938 miles of freeways in California, planners used the opportunity, with full federal support, to obliterate as much as possible the casual mingling of the races.

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2020-06-24/bulldoze-la-freeways-racism-monument
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #40865 on: July 01, 2020, 10:52:00 AM »

NJ has had a pretty large outbreak, and though belatedly, most folks there finally got on board with wearing masks.  I don't recall exactly when that changed, but I talk to family in NJ every weekend, and frequently would ask about mask wearing.  I'd guess the shift came in late April/early May.  And was phased in.  But it really took a long time.  Seemed rather glacial to me.

I've also tried to impress upon my elderly parents in NJ that the numbers they see in their daily newspaper (they have a physical paper copy delivered) are test confirmed cases and to multiply x 10 to get estimated Actual Cases.  To remember there are plenty of undetected infected folks walking around.

NJ was just set to allow restaurant dining, but decided to postpone that opening move.

In Shanghai, mask wearing has been on-going since Jan 20 or so.  That first week, there was a scramble to get masks.  In June as the weather warmed up and the threat receded greatly, mask wearing started to ease up significantly.  Mid-June, I estimated around 35% or so weren't wearing masks and it was common to see folks on the street with masks down on their chin.

But the mini-outbreak in Beijing has changed things.  This week I'd estimate mask wearing is back up to 90% and I even ran into a few places that reinstated temp checks before you could enter.  I hadn't seen temp checks since probably April.  Last week, I remarked to a friend that the Beijing outbreak was probably a good thing for SH as folks were just starting to get complacent.  And a week later, Shanghai is indeed back on alert, back in protection mode.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #40866 on: July 01, 2020, 10:53:17 AM »

I think I was clear

Some states MET the guidelines, opened and still had case increases.

Was this just expected - with the increase in tests?  Or were the guidelines possibly not stringent enough?

OK, now that we have established that your response was not germane to the article posted...

Please point to which States met the guidelines for reopening and are now seeing case increases.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40867 on: July 01, 2020, 10:54:50 AM »

Joe Biden has yet to be COVID tested.

Interesting.
Yeah, because our testing sucks and are only testing people with symptoms or known exposure he does not qualify. Pathetic national response, pathetic national leadership that leaves us all vulnerable.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #40868 on: July 01, 2020, 11:03:02 AM »

NJ was just set to allow restaurant dining, but decided to postpone that opening move.

Your parents can get a nice meal in NJ at many a fine establishment

Outdoors - and with distancing, of course.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #40869 on: July 01, 2020, 11:05:05 AM »

Please point to which States met the guidelines for reopening and are now seeing case increases.

You can probably dig and find that.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #40870 on: July 01, 2020, 11:07:09 AM »

You made the statement.  There are states that met the guidelines but are now having "problems" ie case increases.  Which are they?

I mean, surely you would not have made that statement without having examples in mind.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #40871 on: July 01, 2020, 11:08:41 AM »

You made the statement.  There are states that met the guidelines but are now having "problems" ie case increases.  Which are they?

I mean, surely you would not have made that statement without having examples in mind.

And to be clear, sure, if there are states that met the guidelines but are now seeing increases, that would indicate that the Trump Administration guidelines were not strict enough.  And it might be worth looking into why that was.

But first, lets start with examples that support your statement.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #40872 on: July 01, 2020, 11:12:29 AM »

Or maybe this virus is just a PITA and will get around despite any restrictions, masks, what have you.....

And will kill you if you are most vulnerable - or just very unlucky and dont respond to the drugs given.

Questions answered?  Not near all with this virus, no.

We live on.  Hopefully with schools fully open and reasonably restricted.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #40873 on: July 01, 2020, 11:14:37 AM »

They're sticking to picking up take-out once or twice a week for now.
Though I'm sure they miss their regular Friday nights out with friends.

I was surprised my father decided he should bring his own pen to sign the credit card receipt.  He was somewhat reluctant to alter his behavior in the early going.  Took a while before he started wearing a mask, etc.  I know previously they mentioned giving the credit card number over the phone when ordering -- but maybe that was just one restaurant, and others do things differently.

I know I've mentioned this before, but one extra benefit of mask-wearing is that when you see everyone masked up and it's a strong reminder to maintain precautions and be careful.  So hopefully, you touch fewer surfaces, wash your hands more, go out less, keep distance more, etc.  It certainly has that effect for me.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #40874 on: July 01, 2020, 11:17:03 AM »

Or maybe this virus is just a PITA and will get around despite any restrictions, masks, what have you.....

That hasn't been the experience of countries that have made those efforts to control the viral spread.

If you are claiming that there are areas of this country that have made comparable efforts but are still seeing the spread, point out where they are please.

Pages: 1 ... 2723 2724 [2725] 2726 2727 ... 4288