Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2810 2811 [2812] 2813 2814 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1611458 times)

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #42165 on: July 10, 2020, 01:22:47 PM »

Seriously, taking money from any group of Americans to give to another group of Americans based on race is a terrain that even the most committed egalitarians among us would tread upon with fear and trepidation.

Weird rhetoric.  If you were a highly committed egalitarian, it would make plenty of sense.

The idea is compensation for 150 years of illegal discrimination, ranging from crappy unequal schools, the humiliation and violence of segregation, job discrimination, housing discrimination, bank redlining, racial policing, etc, etc.
Without forgetting about slavery too.

And your not really taking from one group, your taking from the collective US treasury (just print more!) and giving to victims and descendants of victims, who were forced by an illegal system into being/remaining an underclass.

We have/had $1T to decimate Afghanistan, but we don't have $1T to compensate Black-Americans.  Color me confused.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #42166 on: July 10, 2020, 01:23:20 PM »

https://twitter.com/Millicentsomer/status/1281414271692234753?fbclid=IwAR2-Gb244rrzmJo66-RIbTXppTYJBCAT--ZFl2-xEJTVdsc6S608PR1LWx4

I get the longing--I even share it--but the naivete is annoying. Online pundits should know (and factor in) that social media as a "public square" where "good faith debate" happens is a thing of the past. Disagreement here happens through trolling, sea-lioning, ratios, dunks.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #42167 on: July 10, 2020, 01:26:01 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/10/us/mississippi-coronavirus-legislature-trnd/index.html

Dozens of Mississippi legislators have coronavirus after having refused to wear masks.

I hope they all recover with minimal negative effects. But given that they have it, I hope it opens their eyes.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #42168 on: July 10, 2020, 01:26:57 PM »

http://esqr.co/85UIFmN?fbclid=IwAR1XDfFUsz1JqojKLSEmdMrRjGxBBlMTY_TYbk-YRhMB2Sv7MFDp_-BPiO4

Neil Gorsuch Might Be the Best Friend Native Americans Have Had on the Supreme Court Since, Well, Forever
Good piece.

Certainly in the past and probably still today, the Supreme Court isn't terribly fond of Indian cases. It's part of their portfolio, but justices often felt it was a waste of their limited docket. So if Gorsuch is passionate about Indian rights/cases, he can probably write all the Indian decision he wants (if he's in the majority). Indian cases have traditionally been delegated to the junior justices

Also I wouldn't be surprised if Gorsuch could frequently persuade others to join him, since he'd be probably the only one advocating and caring, and some might want to curry favor with him by joining his pet issue. Speculation on my part, but that's how things used to work @ SCOTUS.

I haven't really checked in on the decision yet nor read your link.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #42169 on: July 10, 2020, 01:28:40 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2020/07/10/schools-reopening-guidelines-governors-pkg-golodroya-vpx.cnn/video/playlists/this-week-in-politics/

"If we can open Home Depot, we can open schools."
Gov. DeSantis

You couldn't open Home Depot, to start with. You screwed up.

But setting that aside, schools are not the same as large retail outlets. Children are not either employees or customers, but also they are not adults.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #42170 on: July 10, 2020, 01:32:28 PM »

By the way, the New Hampshire rally is postponed.

Tropical Storm Fay is their explanation.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #42172 on: July 10, 2020, 01:37:16 PM »

Guessing one large group is owed reparations. Women.

Don't forget your mother's, laddies.

Women got reparation...the 19th Amendment.

In terms you might get.

They were allowed into the pub, but the prices were still doubled.

Pay inequity. It's real.

Not at the mandated base/minimum level?

You're arguing that white MEN should have jobs. Got it.

Of course White men should have jobs...everyone should have jobs.
Everyone getting the same minimum wage/salary applicable to their industry, the minimum seeming too low.

The rest is a 'war',  people looking after themselves first.
Go woke, go broke.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #42173 on: July 10, 2020, 01:40:02 PM »

What about the poor White folk in America who are living on food handouts, and have forever been treat like "trash"?
Surely they should be entitled to some of the reparation money.

Reparation for what?

Were their ancestors enslaved? Were they denied the right to vote? Is there a pattern of discrimination against them for their color or religion or nationality? What was taken from them by society and government?

Their jobs.
Reparation:
"the making of amends for a wrong one has done, by paying money to or otherwise helping those who have been wronged."

"living on food handouts"

Sounds like "otherwise helping," whether or not they were wronged.

Do you believe that everybody is entitled to a job?

We had record low unemployment not very long ago - you may remember Ward crowing about it. Did they have no jobs then? Why not?

Remember, by the way, that I support UBI.

I don't believe that your "poor white trash" merit reparations. I do believe that they should receive food and housing and healthcare.

Everyone is entitled to a job...and warm blankets.
Somewhere to live that has at least heating.
It's the responsibility of the federal govt.

Blankets, yes. Housing, with shelter against the elements (heat, for example) and plumbing, absolutely. Food, too.

Jobs? Nope. It's lovely if there is stuff for them to do, but there is no guarantee of employment. Education to prepare you to potentially hold a job, yes. Support if you cannot work, totally.

You do know that Trump is opposed to everything you are spouting here, don't you?

He's the West's only hope, the only one who'll stand up to  China-ilk.
Go woke, go broke.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #42174 on: July 10, 2020, 01:44:12 PM »

Okay. The perception would be that it's race based.

The harm was race based.  So the reparations necessarily are too.  Not very hard to understand.

That was the whole deal with affirmative action.  The 14th A doesn't allow police and schools and local governments to hire based on race or universities admit students based on race.  That would be illegal discrimination.  But since such illegal discrimination happened in the past, these government entities had illegally kept Blacks out of jobs.  The remedy was to allow them to hire more Blacks based on race to make up for earlier illegally not hiring Blacks based on race. 

So almost every major city police and fire department documented all their illegal past racial hiring practices.  So that they could start preferring to hire Blacks.  It makes for some interesting reading (I've read excerpts, mainly from Detroit).  Like all the creative ways they prevented blacks from voting over the years.  And there's no disputing the facts, as these government agencies compiled their own misdeeds from internal records.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 01:58:51 PM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #42175 on: July 10, 2020, 01:47:00 PM »

Well, well.
About those Chinese.

Chinese virologist accuses Beijing of coronavirus cover-up, flees Hong Kong: 'I know how they treat whistleblowers'

Hong Kong scientist Dr. Li-Meng
Yan told Fox News in an exclusive interview that she believes the Chinese government knew about the novel coronavirus well before it claimed it did. She says her supervisors, renowned as some of the top experts in the field, also ignored research she was doing at the onset of the pandemic that she believes could have saved lives.

And lo and behold the WHO just a few days ago admitted it first learned of the Chinese virus (now call COVID-19) from the internet, not the Chinese
Government. 

That sounds nearly half as bad as the trump administration. I think you are saying the trump administration is taking its policy cues from autocratic oppressive adversaries.

That alone disqualifies him from a second term and heaps yet more shame on his adherents.

It’s no surprise that the trump family is pursuing brothel money (the original family business) in China and is trying to eliminate the U.S. role as a check on their ambitions.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #42176 on: July 10, 2020, 01:50:56 PM »

He's the West's only hope, the only one who'll stand up to  China-ilk.

You keep saying that as if he has actually done anything.

He hasn't.

facilitatorn

• View Profile

Richard P. Feynman

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42178 on: July 10, 2020, 02:12:20 PM »

Seriously, taking money from any group of Americans to give to another group of Americans based on race is a terrain that even the most committed egalitarians among us would tread upon with fear and trepidation.

Weird rhetoric.  If you were a highly committed egalitarian, it would make plenty of sense.

The idea is compensation for 150 years of illegal discrimination, ranging from crappy unequal schools, the humiliation and violence of segregation, job discrimination, housing discrimination, bank redlining, racial policing, etc, etc.
Without forgetting about slavery too.

And your not really taking from one group, your taking from the collective US treasury (just print more!) and giving to victims and descendants of victims, who were forced by an illegal system into being/remaining an underclass.

We have/had $1T to decimate Afghanistan, but we don't have $1T to compensate Black-Americans.  Color me confused.

No, not weird rhetoric. Pragmatic thinking regarding the people to whom you have to sell your idea.

So, go ahead and outline the way you would determine who gets, who doesn't get, who determines those things, and how that is done.

Don't mistake asking questions for an argument against your idea, btw, as some do.

I just want to know more how you're building this program, getting it passed, and administering it.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42179 on: July 10, 2020, 02:15:51 PM »

Okay. The perception would be that it's race based.

The harm was race based.  So the reparations necessarily are too.  Not very hard to understand.

That was the whole deal with affirmative action.  The 14th A doesn't allow police and schools and local governments to hire based on race or universities admit students based on race.  That would be illegal discrimination.  But since such illegal discrimination happened in the past, these government entities had illegally kept Blacks out of jobs.  The remedy was to allow them to hire more Blacks based on race to make up for earlier illegally not hiring Blacks based on race. 

So almost every major city police and fire department documented all their illegal past racial hiring practices.  So that they could start preferring to hire Blacks.  It makes for some interesting reading (I've read excerpts, mainly from Detroit).  Like all the creative ways they prevented blacks from voting over the years.  And there's no disputing the facts, as these government agencies compiled their own misdeeds from internal records.

No, it's easy to understand. it's just a hard sell, and so far you aren't remotely considering the marketplace for your idea.

It's like the old joke about how many psychologists does it take to change a light bulb. Just one, but the light bulb has to want to change. I think you're forgetting how many dim bulbs are out there that are going to resist being changed.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 02:18:19 PM by UNO »
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.
Pages: 1 ... 2810 2811 [2812] 2813 2814 ... 4288