Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2880 2881 [2882] 2883 2884 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 2010248 times)

bankshot1

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #43215 on: July 16, 2020, 06:57:29 PM »

given the recent stories, "Redtails" is out.

But Piece of Tail is gaining traction.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43216 on: July 16, 2020, 06:59:38 PM »

The only thing  Trump has going for him is his declaration of "victimhood" at the hands of the Democrats and the "lib" media. Focus on his incompetence, focus on the fact that he's a miserable human being, but don't give him a chance to claim "they tried it with impeachment, they tried it with the idea of me resigning; they want to nullify your vote." Why give him even that talking point?

exactly.

its not that complicated.

beat him on the real issues of real importance.

and pummel him and Rs on election day.

Republicans across the spectrum are calling on him to resign, change his policies, come clean, grow a heart, etc.. Reminding him of this and getting him to train his fire on the outer edges of the fraying GOP coalition, whittling down the remaining stump to hardcore racists who are bad at math, is a winning electoral strategy. Bloomberg can join RVAT, the Bulwark, the Lincoln Project, Vote Vets and others in amplifying the voices abandoning the broken and crooked GOP.

Biden can stay positive and constructive as the loser funk on trump matures like a corpse bloating on a bayou.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43217 on: July 16, 2020, 07:01:01 PM »

Maybe the team can get Jim Jordan of Ohio state to help straighten out their sex abuse work climate.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #43218 on: July 16, 2020, 07:07:55 PM »

The only thing  Trump has going for him is his declaration of "victimhood" at the hands of the Democrats and the "lib" media. Focus on his incompetence, focus on the fact that he's a miserable human being, but don't give him a chance to claim "they tried it with impeachment, they tried it with the idea of me resigning; they want to nullify your vote." Why give him even that talking point?

exactly.

its not that complicated.

beat him on the real issues of real importance.

and pummel him and Rs on election day.

Republicans across the spectrum are calling on him to resign, change his policies, come clean, grow a heart, etc.. Reminding him of this and getting him to train his fire on the outer edges of the fraying GOP coalition, whittling down the remaining stump to hardcore racists who are bad at math, is a winning electoral strategy. Bloomberg can join RVAT, the Bulwark, the Lincoln Project, Vote Vets and others in amplifying the voices abandoning the broken and crooked GOP.

Biden can stay positive and constructive as the loser funk on trump matures like a corpse bloating on a bayou.

Yup. Biden can remind America what being Presidential is and return civility, decency and competence to the office. Keep him out of the mud-slinging and the gutter and address the needs of the people.

barton

« Reply #43219 on: July 16, 2020, 07:10:25 PM »

Pity we don't have parallel universes where we can test both tactics.   

Am leaning towards Biden skipping the whole resignation thing.  Biden can frame the debate without it,  and Trump will act deranged anyway.  And moderates will be more moved by Joe's policy strengths than theatrics.   

Besides,  calling for someone to resign is such a Trumpian move that unfortunately it has defused its former power.  After endless Trump theatrics,  if Biden tries that it will just thud instead of splash.   And Joe needs to be composed of anti-trump matter.

Bingo

Its not rocket science.

Its a dud of an idea. and bad politics.

Even poor Bo backed away from it when challenged.

He amended his 1st post to include my suggestion of attacking Trump on the things he fucked up on and the issues voters care about,

And then Bo asked rhetorically (and I quote)

And needless to say, you don't even want Trump to resign.

So why then would Biden call for his resignation?

He shouldn't.

He should let the motherfucker sink the entire party.

We should be so lucky.

I had hoped poor clueless Bo was learning.

My bad.

Bo learn to take constructive criticism of your poorly thought out ideas in the manner that criticism was intended.

You pretentious shithead.

That reply sorta went downhill.   Starting as an affirmation of another member's post (mine), but then mostly insults to BoDiddley.   I thought his ideas deserved respect,  so am not thrilled you about using a reply to me as a springboard for flaming.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #43220 on: July 16, 2020, 07:12:13 PM »

Steve Schmidt hacks off huge blubbery wads of trump with each cutting remark,

http://youtu.be/Qyq4gkV3z0g

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #43221 on: July 16, 2020, 07:23:49 PM »

josh  re the motion to reconsider of an impeachment verdict

I found this-the US Senate's Manual Rules for an Impeachment Trial (1986 edition)

Don't know if the rules have since changed

RULES OF PROCEDURE AND PRACTICE IN THE SENATE WHEN SITTING
                                ON IMPEACHMENT TRIALS

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/SMAN-113/html/SMAN-113-pg223.htm#:~:text=A%20motion%20to%20reconsider%20the,shall%20not%20be%20in%20order.&text=The%20fifteen%20minutes%20herein%20allowed,194%20XXV

section 192-last 2 lines read (scroll down)

A motion to reconsider the vote by which any article of

impeachment is sustained or rejected shall not be in order.

Which by my understanding would address my concern about double-jeopardy and having the impeached, but acquitted party, facing the same charge twice.

Thank you. I suspect then that I am simply wrong.

Not worth looking for updated rules, either.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #43222 on: July 16, 2020, 07:29:18 PM »

Pity we don't have parallel universes where we can test both tactics.   

Am leaning towards Biden skipping the whole resignation thing.  Biden can frame the debate without it,  and Trump will act deranged anyway.  And moderates will be more moved by Joe's policy strengths than theatrics.   

Besides,  calling for someone to resign is such a Trumpian move that unfortunately it has defused its former power.  After endless Trump theatrics,  if Biden tries that it will just thud instead of splash.   And Joe needs to be composed of anti-trump matter.

Bingo

Its not rocket science.

Its a dud of an idea. and bad politics.

Even poor Bo backed away from it when challenged.

He amended his 1st post to include my suggestion of attacking Trump on the things he fucked up on and the issues voters care about,

And then Bo asked rhetorically (and I quote)

And needless to say, you don't even want Trump to resign.

So why then would Biden call for his resignation?

He shouldn't.

He should let the motherfucker sink the entire party.

We should be so lucky.

I had hoped poor clueless Bo was learning.

My bad.

Bo learn to take constructive criticism of your poorly thought out ideas in the manner that criticism was intended.

You pretentious shithead.

That reply sorta went downhill.   Starting as an affirmation of another member's post (mine), but then mostly insults to BoDiddley.   I thought his ideas deserved respect,  so am not thrilled you about using a reply to me as a springboard for flaming.

I multitasked in one post. As the subject was the same Biden/trump resignation).

and Bart I respectfully disagreed with Bo's opinion, I played it straight and outlined my disagreements And I respect his right to his opinion, and I still do.

However when he decided to name call, and disrespect me, I responded in kind and was more pointed and used facts and his words to make my points.

In the future I'll be less efficient and use two posts.

My apologies.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #43223 on: July 16, 2020, 07:29:34 PM »

I think it's good for Biden to show a little toughness and grit now and then.

I agree.

I thought he did that when he addressed the question of the filibuster.

I think he gains not a thing by calling for Trump's resignation, but having the wannabees from the nomination process chase it seems fine.

After all, Mary Trump is doing it!

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #43224 on: July 16, 2020, 07:30:48 PM »

I guess Washington Foreskins won’t be considered as a new name for the NFL team.

It would get removed, after causing some tur-moyle.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43225 on: July 16, 2020, 07:33:09 PM »

I guess Washington Foreskins won’t be considered as a new name for the NFL team.

It would get removed, after causing some tur-moyle.

Lending new meaning to team cuts.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #43226 on: July 16, 2020, 07:34:12 PM »

I found this-the US Senate's Manual Rules for an Impeachment Trial (1986 edition)

ON IMPEACHMENT TRIALS

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/SMAN-113/html/SMAN-113-pg223.htm#:~:text=A%20motion%20to%20reconsider%20the,shall%20not%20be%20in%20order.&text=The%20fifteen%20minutes%20herein%20allowed,194%20XXV

Which by my understanding would address my concern about double-jeopardy and having the impeached, but acquitted party, facing the same charge twice.

I did a quick google, and that's all I found, so I suspect that given the relative infrequency of Senate Impeachments (at least for pres) the 1986 rules version is the guideline.

As a layman the logic of the argument didn't make sense to me as I understand Democracy/Law 101.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #43227 on: July 16, 2020, 07:37:35 PM »

Biden should attack the republicans and their way of doing things. Republicans are terrible, unpopular, and like roaches a few will stick around even after the the whole government gets a thorough hosing out and fumigation to remove their corruption and nastiness.

The wrongness of republicanism and how it leads to DeSantis, Kemp, Jordan, Graham, and McConnell, who are only more mildly wrong iterations of the damn trump himself, is where Biden should lay his marker. He will have to battle a cadre of the grasping misanthropic fools to revive the United States after the senseless abuse under the puppet imposter regime.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #43228 on: July 16, 2020, 07:39:04 PM »

ON IMPEACHMENT TRIALS

I did a quick google, and that's all I found, so I suspect that given the relative infrequency of Senate Impeachments (at least for pres) the 1986 rules version is the guideline.

As a layman the logic of the argument didn't make sense to me as I understand Democracy/Law 101.

I understand your reaction, but it's still now what it is about. The same rule doesn't apply when the issue of Contempt of Congress is at hand, as far as I know. (Still not going to look it up.)

Impeachment is explicitly not about jeopardy/double jeopardy, in that one could be impeached for an action and face a criminal trial at the federal level for the same crime.

I imagine somebody tried it once, some time in the past two centuries, and that prompted the rule. But, again, I could be wrong about that.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #43229 on: July 16, 2020, 07:40:51 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 2880 2881 [2882] 2883 2884 ... 4288