Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2995 2996 [2997] 2998 2999 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 2008407 times)

barton

Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #44940 on: July 27, 2020, 07:59:55 PM »

Two Aussie women
walk into a bar. First one says, why did they put the bar that low? Someone's going to get hurt.

One of my favorite jokes.   And for some reason the one that  gets the highest percent of blank looks.   I wonder if it's what my daughter calls a "dad joke"

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #44941 on: July 27, 2020, 08:19:56 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/27/health/us-coronavirus-monday/index.html

CNN reports that we may be seeing the first signs of new cases leveling off in the US.

While this ignores the fact that the ostensible turning point was the one at which the HHS folks took over the stats, let's take it at face value for the moment.

(1) It has leveled off. It has not started declining.

(2) There were 40 days from the low (where it leveled off at the bottom) and where it has been leveling off at the top. We are on day 22 of the rise in deaths, suggesting we have at least 18 more days of that and more likely more. If the rate were to freeze where it is now, we would "merely" be seeing 925 deaths a day for as long as the rise and the leveling off. It seems more likely that our rate of daily deaths will continue to rise for at least 3 more weeks. That would be 19k more deaths (calling it 3 weeks at 925 per day and then another 20k during the slow down period to get to where we were on June 4th. Halfway through October, we would be at ~190,000 dead. (All stats based on Worldometers' data.)

That's with generous assumptions.

(3) Among the generous assumptions is that the prior drop in cases, losing a third in roughly two months, would be mimicked with a similar drop now. But... we have more than double the cases on a daily basis compared with then!

(4) Even if we got such a drop in cases and in deaths... there is still no reason to think that the numbers are not going to simply climb back up again after that momentary, partial drop.

And, as noted at the outset, that is if we give the Trump administration the benefit of the doubt and do not believe that the leveling off of new cases is contrived with bogus numbers, rather than real.

If the numbers are being faked in an effort to give Trump a better chance to win the election, then we, the people, are deeply and truly screwed.

Even more than we were already.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #44942 on: July 27, 2020, 08:21:19 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/27/us/new-jersey-airbnb-house-party-covid-trnd/index.html

700 people at a house party in Jersey.

White folks?

Based on that article that you didn't understand tother day, I imagine most of them were of mixed race.

Why do you ask?

heh

oilcan

« Reply #44943 on: July 27, 2020, 08:22:11 PM »

Krug Man today...

....So we’re failing dismally on both the epidemiological and the economic fronts. But why?

On the face of it, the answer is that Trump and allies were so eager to see big jobs numbers that they ignored both infection risks and the way a resurgent pandemic would undermine the economy. As I and others have said, they failed the marshmallow test, sacrificing the future because they weren’t willing to show a little patience.

And there’s surely a lot to that explanation. But it isn’t the whole story.

For one thing, people truly focused on restarting the economy should have been big supporters of measures to limit infections without hurting business — above all, getting Americans to wear face masks. Instead, Trump ridiculed those in masks as “politically correct,” while Republican governors not only refused to mandate mask-wearing, but they prevented mayors from imposing local mask rules.

Also, politicians eager to see the economy bounce back should have wanted to sustain consumer purchasing power until wages recovered. Instead, Senate Republicans ignored the looming July 31 expiration of special unemployment benefits, which means that tens of millions of workers are about to see a huge hit to their incomes, damaging the economy as a whole.

So what was going on? Were our leaders just stupid? Well, maybe. But there’s a deeper explanation of the profoundly self-destructive behavior of Trump and his allies: They were all members of America’s cult of selfishness.

You see, the modern U.S. right is committed to the proposition that greed is good, that we’re all better off when individuals engage in the untrammeled pursuit of self-interest. In their vision, unrestricted profit maximization by businesses and unregulated consumer choice is the recipe for a good society.

Support for this proposition is, if anything, more emotional than intellectual. I’ve long been struck by the intensity of right-wing anger against relatively trivial regulations, like bans on phosphates in detergent and efficiency standards for light bulbs. It’s the principle of the thing: Many on the right are enraged at any suggestion that their actions should take other people’s welfare into account.

This rage is sometimes portrayed as love of freedom. But people who insist on the right to pollute are notably unbothered by, say, federal agents tear-gassing peaceful protesters. What they call “freedom” is actually absence of responsibility.

Rational policy in a pandemic, however, is all about taking responsibility. The main reason you shouldn’t go to a bar and should wear a mask isn’t self-protection, although that’s part of it; the point is that congregating in noisy, crowded spaces or exhaling droplets into shared air puts others at risk. And that’s the kind of thing America’s right just hates, hates to hear.... 

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #44944 on: July 27, 2020, 08:23:51 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/27/us/new-jersey-airbnb-house-party-covid-trnd/index.html

700 people at a house party in Jersey.

White folks?

Based on that article that you didn't understand tother day, I imagine most of them were of mixed race.

Why do you ask?

heh

Kid says "I cannot be bothered to try to find out the answer to my racist question on my own."

Ha, fucking, ha.

barton

« Reply #44945 on: July 27, 2020, 08:29:51 PM »

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44946 on: July 27, 2020, 08:39:28 PM »

Krug Man today...

....So we’re failing dismally on both the epidemiological and the economic fronts. But why?

On the face of it, the answer is that Trump and allies were so eager to see big jobs numbers that they ignored both infection risks and the way a resurgent pandemic would undermine the economy. As I and others have said, they failed the marshmallow test, sacrificing the future because they weren’t willing to show a little patience.

And there’s surely a lot to that explanation. But it isn’t the whole story.

For one thing, people truly focused on restarting the economy should have been big supporters of measures to limit infections without hurting business — above all, getting Americans to wear face masks. Instead, Trump ridiculed those in masks as “politically correct,” while Republican governors not only refused to mandate mask-wearing, but they prevented mayors from imposing local mask rules.

Also, politicians eager to see the economy bounce back should have wanted to sustain consumer purchasing power until wages recovered. Instead, Senate Republicans ignored the looming July 31 expiration of special unemployment benefits, which means that tens of millions of workers are about to see a huge hit to their incomes, damaging the economy as a whole.

So what was going on? Were our leaders just stupid? Well, maybe. But there’s a deeper explanation of the profoundly self-destructive behavior of Trump and his allies: They were all members of America’s cult of selfishness.

You see, the modern U.S. right is committed to the proposition that greed is good, that we’re all better off when individuals engage in the untrammeled pursuit of self-interest. In their vision, unrestricted profit maximization by businesses and unregulated consumer choice is the recipe for a good society.

Support for this proposition is, if anything, more emotional than intellectual. I’ve long been struck by the intensity of right-wing anger against relatively trivial regulations, like bans on phosphates in detergent and efficiency standards for light bulbs. It’s the principle of the thing: Many on the right are enraged at any suggestion that their actions should take other people’s welfare into account.

This rage is sometimes portrayed as love of freedom. But people who insist on the right to pollute are notably unbothered by, say, federal agents tear-gassing peaceful protesters. What they call “freedom” is actually absence of responsibility.

Rational policy in a pandemic, however, is all about taking responsibility. The main reason you shouldn’t go to a bar and should wear a mask isn’t self-protection, although that’s part of it; the point is that congregating in noisy, crowded spaces or exhaling droplets into shared air puts others at risk. And that’s the kind of thing America’s right just hates, hates to hear.... 

Hair Twittler

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5f1f5b28c5b6945e6e3e8f9c
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #44947 on: July 27, 2020, 08:41:46 PM »

The District is truly sending Brother John Lewis home in style.

Timing is everything and anytime is the right time to get in #GoodTrouble

His influence on the 2020 election will be immense.

Explain who is influenced and why.

To quote Louis Armstrong “If you have to ask what jazz is, you'll never know.”

If you don’t know understand the impact of a John Lewis, well...
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #44948 on: July 27, 2020, 08:43:56 PM »

that's a helluva poem

although I fear Utley has their home addresses now.

heh

LoL.

Ha!
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #44949 on: July 27, 2020, 08:45:37 PM »

Two Aussie women
walk into a bar. First one says, why did they put the bar that low? Someone's going to get hurt.

<rimshot!>

Lyndon Johnson

barton

« Reply #44950 on: July 27, 2020, 08:50:17 PM »

Hair Twittler

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5f1f5b28c5b6945e6e3e8f9c

One of the twit tweet replies I liked....

Sgt. Friday (voiceover): Jack Dorsey was sentenced to 15 to 20 years in a federal penitentiary for the crime of making bad trending topics about the president.

[DRAGNET THEME]

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #44951 on: July 27, 2020, 08:51:27 PM »

"Kamala Harris comes with a big butt attached"

- Fox News show host Martha McCallum

Give me a sista, I can't resist her
Red beans and rice didn't miss her
Some knucklehead tried to dis her

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #44952 on: July 27, 2020, 08:54:44 PM »

Two Aussie women

One of my favorite jokes.   And for some reason the one that  gets the highest percent of blank looks.   I wonder if it's what my daughter calls a "dad joke"

My kids call it bad schtick... “Guy walks into the doctors office and he has a duck on his head...”

Lyndon Johnson

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44953 on: July 27, 2020, 09:04:17 PM »

The District is truly sending Brother John Lewis home in style.

Timing is everything and anytime is the right time to get in #GoodTrouble

His influence on the 2020 election will be immense.

Explain who is influenced and why.

Excuse me,  professor,  but is it possible he's saying Lewis's passion, commitment to ideals,  embrace of peaceful protest,  and legacy are going to live on?   Does every assertion here need diagrams and flowcharts?

It's possible he can answer the question by himself. Or don't you think he has the intelligence to do so?
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #44954 on: July 27, 2020, 09:19:52 PM »

Two Aussie women

<rimshot!>

LOL

"ScoMo's girls" [as I call them]...not so silly.
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.
Pages: 1 ... 2995 2996 [2997] 2998 2999 ... 4288