Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3000 3001 [3002] 3003 3004 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 2008386 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #45015 on: July 28, 2020, 01:39:24 PM »

"Ever since I made it clear that I was going to do everything I could to get to the bottom of the grave abuses involved in the bogus 'Russiagate' scandal, many of the Democrats on this Committee have attempted to discredit me by conjuring up a narrative that I am simply the President's factotum who disposes of criminal cases according to his instructions. Judging from the letter inviting me to this hearing, that appears to be your agenda today."

- Barr making it clear today that he is going to go into this hearing as the partisan he is, not the professional he isn't.

Every evil totalitarian regime needs its soulless toadies.  Barr is the absolute cream of that crop.

I thought Barr is simply Steven Miller and Kelly Anne Conway “hanging out” together inside a fat suit.

I have yet to see any evidence that disproves this.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #45016 on: July 28, 2020, 01:43:10 PM »

The District is truly sending Brother John Lewis home in style.

Timing is everything and anytime is the right time to get in #GoodTrouble

His influence on the 2020 election will be immense.

Explain who is influenced and why.

To quote Louis Armstrong “If you have to ask what jazz is, you'll never know.”

If you don’t know understand the impact of a John Lewis, well...

That's not an explanation. It's just a dodge.

An eloquent LOL, as Red would use.

I'll respond to you, anyway.

"Don't overestimate the decency of the human race."

H. L. Mencken

Nah.

Somehow you’ll make it about Botswana...
No need to consider your opinion, Lawrence, if you aren't willing to truly give it.

You'd be a lousy Tswani. They work hard, are responsible, considerate and self-reliant. Whereas you want others to just do for you. Based in what, God knows why.

Any group of people you can’t come up with a blanket stereotype for?

Mauritanians?

Mennonites?

The unusually tall?

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #45017 on: July 28, 2020, 01:43:37 PM »

Finally found Rasmussen's "methodology" for their daily job approval. They autocall 1500 voters per day. They claim +/- 3% as their error range (95% of the time, though they as most don't explain that part). Their automated system asks the question.

I find the 3% laughable. But as they say, since Galliup left the field, they are the only ones who (claim to) do the daily presidential approval ratings.

While I was there, I tripped across this snippet from last month:
Military Voters Are A Lot More Critical of Trump
Friday, June 19, 2020

President Trump drew criticism from retired military leaders when he recently threatened to use the armed forces to calm domestic unrest, and veterans in general are a lot more critical of the president than they have been in the past.

A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that 56% of Likely U.S. Voters who are serving in the military or have served in the past now view Trump as a weaker military commander in chief compared to most recent presidents. That’s a 22-point jump from 34% last October.

In the earlier survey, 60% of veterans saw Trump as a stronger commander in chief. Now just 32% feel that way. Seven percent (7%) rate his military leadership as about the same as most of his recent predecessors.

56% say weaker. 32% say stronger. Eight months to pretty much totally flip the results. Not bad, Donnie!

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #45018 on: July 28, 2020, 01:46:28 PM »

H. L. Mencken

Nah.

No need to consider your opinion, Lawrence, if you aren't willing to truly give it.

You'd be a lousy Tswani. They work hard, are responsible, considerate and self-reliant. Whereas you want others to just do for you. Based in what, God knows why.

Mauritanians?

Mennonites?

The unusually tall?

Are the unusually tall usually tall?

"He was unusually tall. Normally, he was only 5'9", but tonight he was over 5'11"!"

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #45019 on: July 28, 2020, 01:49:54 PM »

https://thenotebook.org/articles/2020/07/27/is-it-possible-to-make-school-ventilation-safe-enough-to-open-by-september/?fbclid=IwAR2rouO30x6ROlCUozWeAW5eUSKBK-yHmC8qBDgraoy1mitlayTSFpgm2Lk

According to a Notebook analysis of more than 200 Facilities Condition Assessments from 2017, at least 80% of Philadelphia public schools had ventilation systems that weren’t up to current codes. The reports, one for every District school, catalog a parade of concerns citywide, including problems with fans, ducts, and schoolwide systems, with replacement costs estimated at more than $600 million.

And although city health officials say that ventilation concerns can be allayed if students and staff consistently follow proper protocols — including wearing masks and social distancing — experts worldwide agree that poorly ventilated indoor air is one of the major risk factors for COVID-19 transmission.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #45020 on: July 28, 2020, 01:51:39 PM »

Trump has easily killed 150,000 Americans on our home soil this year.

Obama killed Bin Laden.

Of course the military is saying Obama is the stronger leader.

facilitatorn

• View Profile

facilitatorn

• View Profile

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #45023 on: July 28, 2020, 02:06:32 PM »

Following up on the school ventilation issue. We know we have a problem. But... for the most part, we don't have the foggiest how big and we have done little, nationally, to fix it. Nor have our states been better, as a general rule.

This is the EPA site for Indoor Air Quality in schools. https://www.epa.gov/iaq-schools

Statistics from the National Center for Education Statistics are a bit unnerving: 53 million school children and 6 million teachers, administrators, and others walk into 120,000 school buildings every day — and at least 50 percent of these schools have been diagnosed with indoor air quality (IAQ) problems.

According to a report from the National Air Filtration Association (NAFA), the United States is placing too many kids in jeopardy by exposing them to buildings that are less than conducive to a positive, healthy learning environment.
[/size]

This is from 2008.

11 years later, we didn't have the foggiest what the problem's like:
Indoor levels of air pollutants can be two to five times higher, and occasionally 100 times higher, than outdoor levels. Nearly 56 million people, approximately 20 percent of the U.S. population, spend their days inside elementary and secondary schools. In 1999, the National Center for Education Statistics of the U.S. Department of Education reported that approximately 25 percent of public schools described unsatisfactory ventilation, while 20 percent of schools told of unsatisfactory IAQ. IAQ problems can cause discomfort and contribute to short- and long-term health problems for students and staff.
[/size]

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #45024 on: July 28, 2020, 02:09:09 PM »

Okay, I take it back.

Sort of.

On part of one government looked at the research on air quality in schools pretty thoroughly:
https://iaqscience.lbl.gov/sites/default/files/The%20Ventilation%20Problem%20in%20Schools%20-%20Report%20Version_0.pdf

They concluded that it was a problem, not just in the US.

Great! That research is done. Paper is out. Next issue!!

IOW, we knew our schools sucked for the kids and teachers and staff, then did nothing about it. Here we are, trying to play catch up in the middle of a crisis in which ventilation issues are key.

SNAFU.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #45025 on: July 28, 2020, 02:10:52 PM »

http://www.vice.com/en_us/article/xg85d4/hungry-cannibalistic-rats-are-taking-over-australias-shuttered-cities

Sure sign of a right wing government. It’s exactly what a second trump term promises for The United States. Trump is laying all the groundwork for a takeover by his fuzzy friends, as he calls his most ardent supporters.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #45026 on: July 28, 2020, 02:13:09 PM »

http://slate.com/business/2020/07/republicans-relief-bill-coronavirus.html

Cannibalistic rats try to write legislation with predictable results.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45027 on: July 28, 2020, 02:16:22 PM »

Utley give it a rest.

Because that's what you would do, right, banksy?

I can be a persistant debator. But I try to stay on point, make my point and hopefully move on.

But f someone wants to continue to engage on points or on other grounds, I'll party.

However I've no idea what point you have other than to endlessly attack knicks, and seemingly in a purposely provocative manner.

That's my take.

Bad take.

But, like others you seem to feel so poorly of Lawrence that you won't let him speak for himself and attempt to defend his remarks without feeling the need to jump in and speak for him.

So, that's something for YOU to consider.

I think quite highly of knicks and he has amply demonstrated he can defend himself from your indecency.

But standing up for decency when you see indecency is the right thing to do.

And you are indecent.

And i have no regard for it or you.

Your long history of stalking, indency, lies and deception can not be erased by your morphing into your next persona.

And that's the point.

And perhaps you would be well served to consider that.

You need me to appear to be less than you, but you are the same. As is Lawrence.

So, in keeping with Elba tradition, not mine, but yours and his:

Go fuck yourself.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #45028 on: July 28, 2020, 02:17:56 PM »

Ahhh...Lawrence's default setting. "Go fuck yourself."

I would imagine that's the default setting for most people on a message board,  when you start stalking and trolling.   Knicks gave you three more words than your comments deserved.   Try to imagine a world where,  when someone says "it's like jazz... can't really explain it for you... " you drop the matter and move on.   That is the world of civility that you profess to long for.   

And,  BTW,  at a message board,  any member can respond to any post.   So,  if I comment on something you post to another member,  I'm speaking my piece, not defending that member (everyone here can take care of themselves) or usurping their right to respond.

Another one popping off from the peanut gallery.

He chose the jazz reference as an excuse to keep from having to explain.
If you do not want other people to comment on your disputes, try the message function. I realize bullies want to isolate victims but that is not how message boards work.

And how to cabals of leftist twits act, Kunstler?

Again, in the tradition of Elba: GFY.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #45029 on: July 28, 2020, 02:19:16 PM »

H. L. Mencken

Nah.

Mauritanians?

Mennonites?

The unusually tall?

I'm speaking from experience. You? Not so much.
Unless you also lived and worked in Botswana. Then we can talk
Pages: 1 ... 3000 3001 [3002] 3003 3004 ... 4288