Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3106 3107 [3108] 3109 3110 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1611727 times)

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #46605 on: August 08, 2020, 08:25:31 PM »

So as the legal you believe yourself to be, tell me your conclusions.
I already did.
Trump took executive action.
Nancy and Chuck have the next move to deny Americans the Pandemic relief Trump is giving.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #46606 on: August 08, 2020, 08:25:42 PM »

Ya make ONE mistake!

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/article/lawyers-arrested-molotov-cocktail-nyc-protest.html

More than 200 people were arrested in New York City on the night of May 29–30, including Rahman, who is 31, and Mattis, who is 32.
Most of the demonstrators were released the next day, but Rahman and Mattis were held for hours at the 88th Precinct in Clinton Hill, interrogated, taken into federal custody, and finally charged with seven federal crimes — including arson, conspiracy, and the commission of a “crime of violence” using a “destructive device,” a charge that carries, if they are convicted, a mandatory minimum sentence of 30 years. Altogether, Rahman and Mattis each face nonnegotiable sentences of 45 years to life.

#####

Mandatory minimum sentences are evil. Not as evil as death chambers, but evil nonetheless.
45 years to life?  is basically a death sentence, what you get for being a serial killer.

No one was hurt, the vandalised police car was empty. It is not 'serial killer' stuff, but the punishment is basically the same.
Baaah!

Go woke, go broke.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #46607 on: August 08, 2020, 08:43:34 PM »

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/article/lawyers-arrested-molotov-cocktail-nyc-protest.html

Colin [Mattis]-

“My heart — and I speak for many of our friends — my heart has been breaking,” says Tabatha Robinson, who met Mattis through Prep for Prep and has just graduated from Harvard Law. When Robinson was a teenager, Mattis would travel from Princeton to her New Jersey high school to watch her ballet recitals because she’d confessed to him her dream of becoming a ballerina.
“What college boy shows up at their friend’s high-school ballet recitals?” She starts to cry. “Forty-five years to life? Are you kidding me? I want a world in which our sentencing doesn’t look like this.”

#####

So do I.

Colin is like a cute, lovable baby.”
What Mattis and Rahman do share are life circumstances that set them apart from their friends, most of whom were raised with more privilege.
Each of them lost parents comparatively young. Rahman’s father died suddenly when she was 23; Mattis’s died in a stabbing on St. Vincent when he was in law school, and his mother, a powerful presence in his life — and a fervent Christian — died last summer.
  So they both know early grief and loss, and as the responsible, high-achieving adult children of immigrant parents, they stepped in to shoulder more than their share of the family obligations, while their peers were far more carefree.
Rahman looked after her mother, doing the shopping and ferrying her to doctor’s appointments.
Mattis took over the raising of his mother’s three foster children after her death. Their relationship is more “like brother and sister,” says Salmah Rizvi, who co-hosted the birthday party where they met. “Like, they take care of each other.”

Rahman with her parents at her Fordham University graduation ceremony in 2011. Mattis holding an award he received from Her Justice while working with Holland & Knight in 2019right: Photo courtesy of Her Justice.

#####

Good people, bad outcome.
The scales of justice are often far from balanced.

Go woke, go broke.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46608 on: August 08, 2020, 08:48:28 PM »

This move by trump will not actually put money into anyone’s pocket till states manage to find 33 cents to match the federal dollar and formally request aid. The first fund trump will raid is FEMA’s, zeroing it out for storm & fire relief. After that, another week or so of shell games as reports come out showing how much further the economy has contracted in the meantime.

Trump and the republicans are really out of control with no idea of what they are doing.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #46609 on: August 08, 2020, 09:00:00 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/08/politics/trump-veterans-choice-paula-reid/index.html

Trump walked out of the press conference when somebody challenged him on his repeated false claim about Veteran's Choice.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #46610 on: August 08, 2020, 09:00:44 PM »

This move by trump will not actually put money into anyone’s pocket till states manage to find 33 cents to match the federal dollar and formally request aid. The first fund trump will raid is FEMA’s, zeroing it out for storm & fire relief. After that, another week or so of shell games as reports come out showing how much further the economy has contracted in the meantime.

Trump and the republicans are really out of control with no idea of what they are doing.

They think they know what they are doing.

And for their base, they are right, as Kid and Ward keep illustrating.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #46611 on: August 08, 2020, 09:07:40 PM »

The prosecutors in the national-security unit of the Eastern District of New York — as close to Trump Land as one gets in Brooklyn — must have celebrated when they saw the NYPD record of the arrest: “This case was so juicy for them,” says a public defender who is familiar with it. “It’s a perfect storm of ‘Antifa is a terrorist organization, and here are two lawyers of color we can hang out to dry.’ ” (The Eastern District declined to comment for this story.)

There were meaningful and consequential ways to charge Mattis and Rahman under state statutes, but sometime on May 30, their case was bumped up to the Feds; by that night, Mattis and Rahman were being held at the Metropolitan Detention Center, the same federal facility in Brooklyn where Ghislaine Maxwell is now being held.
 After signing the indictment for Mattis and Rahman, the U.S. Attorney in the Eastern District originally in charge of the case, Richard Donoghue, moved down to Washington, D.C., to work under William Barr in the Justice Department.

Their mug shots indicate that, in the early morning hours of May 30, Mattis and Rahman may not quite have comprehended the trap they were in. Mattis looks startled, a little lost.
Rahman wears a small smile, defiant. As lawyers immersed in social-justice struggles, they might have predicted the antagonism of their own government, but even so, the full force of federal prosecution was surely disorienting.
The federal indictment, filed on June 11, makes a case for domestic terrorism.
It charges Mattis and Rahman with conspiracy. It describes the police car as a vehicle “used in interstate and foreign commerce.”
 It categorizes the Molotov cocktail as “an incendiary device,” which, in the legal code, includes homemade bombs along with grenades and missiles. The use of this type of “destructive device” in a “crime of violence,” with which Mattis and Rahman were also charged, carries a minimum sentence three times what it would have been if they had instead used a gun.

#####

Caught in the trap, it looks like the 'end' of the lives of two good young people who wanted better for others...but forgot to look after their own welfare first.
So sad.
Yes. "Cute lovable baby Colin" is done for...no hope.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 09:12:34 PM by bambu. »
Go woke, go broke.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #46612 on: August 08, 2020, 09:12:12 PM »

Colin [Mattis]-

“My heart — and I speak for many of our friends — my heart has been breaking,” says Tabatha Robinson, who met Mattis through Prep for Prep and has just graduated from Harvard Law. When Robinson was a teenager, Mattis would travel from Princeton to her New Jersey high school to watch her ballet recitals because she’d confessed to him her dream of becoming a ballerina.
“What college boy shows up at their friend’s high-school ballet recitals?” She starts to cry. “Forty-five years to life? Are you kidding me? I want a world in which our sentencing doesn’t look like this.”

#####

So do I.

What Mattis and Rahman do share are life circumstances that set them apart from their friends, most of whom were raised with more privilege.
Each of them lost parents comparatively young. Rahman’s father died suddenly when she was 23; Mattis’s died in a stabbing on St. Vincent when he was in law school, and his mother, a powerful presence in his life — and a fervent Christian — died last summer.
  So they both know early grief and loss, and as the responsible, high-achieving adult children of immigrant parents, they stepped in to shoulder more than their share of the family obligations, while their peers were far more carefree.
Rahman looked after her mother, doing the shopping and ferrying her to doctor’s appointments.
Mattis took over the raising of his mother’s three foster children after her death. Their relationship is more “like brother and sister,” says Salmah Rizvi, who co-hosted the birthday party where they met. “Like, they take care of each other.”

Rahman with her parents at her Fordham University graduation ceremony in 2011. Mattis holding an award he received from Her Justice while working with Holland & Knight in 2019right: Photo courtesy of Her Justice.

#####

You seem to feel bad for Ms Rahman.

FUCK YOU!

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #46613 on: August 08, 2020, 09:14:50 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/08/politics/trump-veterans-choice-paula-reid/index.html

Trump walked out of the press conference when somebody challenged him on his repeated false claim about Veteran's Choice.

Who the fuck is Paula Reid?

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #46614 on: August 08, 2020, 09:21:55 PM »

Colin [Mattis]-

#####

So do I.

#####

FUCK YOU!

Surely, surely, you don't think 45 years to life is a fair sentence for what they actually did, Ms Rahman included.

She tried to help the poor and downtrodden;

Since last summer, Rahman had been working at Bronx Legal Services, where she belonged to a team of roughly 60 lawyers representing people who want to fight eviction proceedings but can’t afford an attorney. On the Friday night before her arrest, Rahman was on a Zoom call until about 6 p.m.
It was a union meeting. After a months-long hiatus, the courts had begun to schedule hearings so pending eviction cases might resume, and the defender-advocates at Bronx Legal Services objected strenuously. “Everything was happening with George Floyd,” says someone who was on the call. “And I don’t know about you, but I was still hearing sirens. And the courts are like, ‘Get those evictions done.’ ”

About 20 people attended the meeting, the purpose of which was to share information. Rahman didn’t say much, which was typical for her at work. The job at Bronx Legal Services is grinding — many of the clients live in extreme poverty and chaos, processes are sticky, and judges and plaintiffs’ attorneys can be petty, racist, sexist, and mean — but Rahman was always “very chill, very easygoing,” says the same co-worker, a collaborative colleague, compassionate and diligent with her clients and level headed in court, willing to engage with the small-bore, unglamorous work of advocating for the vulnerable within the frustrating constraints of the law.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 09:24:45 PM by bambu. »
Go woke, go broke.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46615 on: August 08, 2020, 09:24:12 PM »

An exemplar of America’s fine tradition of journalism.

Why couldn’t the sorry skunk answer her question?
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #46616 on: August 08, 2020, 09:26:33 PM »

Colin [Mattis]-

#####

So do I.

#####

FUCK YOU!

Surely, surely, you don't think 45 years to life is a fair sentence for what they actually did, Ms Rahman included.

She tried to help the poor and downtrodden;

Since last summer, Rahman had been working at Bronx Legal Services, where she belonged to a team of roughly 60 lawyers representing people who want to fight eviction proceedings but can’t afford an attorney. On the Friday night before her arrest, Rahman was on a Zoom call until about 6 p.m.
It was a union meeting. After a months-long hiatus, the courts had begun to schedule hearings so pending eviction cases might resume, and the defender-advocates at Bronx Legal Services objected strenuously. “Everything was happening with George Floyd,” says someone who was on the call. “And I don’t know about you, but I was still hearing sirens. And the courts are like, ‘Get those evictions done.’ ”

About 20 people attended the meeting, the purpose of which was to share information. Rahman didn’t say much, which was typical for her at work. The job at Bronx Legal Services is grinding — many of the clients live in extreme poverty and chaos, processes are sticky, and judges and plaintiffs’ attorneys can be petty, racist, sexist, and mean — but Rahman was always “very chill, very easygoing,” says the same co-worker, a collaborative colleague, compassionate and diligent with her clients and level headed in court, willing to engage with the small-bore, unglamorous work of advocating for the vulnerable within the frustrating constraints of the law.

She's a Pakistani anarchist - and will be made example of for the greater good.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #46617 on: August 08, 2020, 09:44:41 PM »

Because that is the important question to be asked.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46619 on: August 08, 2020, 09:54:34 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/08/politics/trump-executive-order-stimulus/index.html

Just the weest bit of overreach.

Doesn't matter whether I approve of this order or disapprove of that order.

He doesn't have the power to make this happen - or at least, under any prior SCOTUS he didn't. I don't think he will this time, either.
Oh?

Do you disagree?

So then Nancy and Chuck should sue.
I’m sure Americans will be proud of them denying everyday folks help in a pandemic.

Do you disagree with me, Ward?

It's a pretty simple question.

And McConnell ought to sue, too.
Why would McConnell sue?
Because he cares about normally conservative values? Oh, right. He never has. He only cares about power.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.
Pages: 1 ... 3106 3107 [3108] 3109 3110 ... 4288