Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3110 3111 [3112] 3113 3114 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1605152 times)

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #46665 on: August 09, 2020, 03:17:03 PM »

The Paulding County high school that became infamous for hallways crowded with unmasked students reported a half-dozen students and three staffers in the school with COVID-19, the school district told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution Saturday.

Didn't take long.  And there'll be more.
Why don't people in the USofCV take basic precautions when around others?
Likely 50M Americans have been infected.
As Birx said, the virus is everywhere.
Why wouldn't someone protect themselves and others?
Why wouldn't people try to limit the spread of the virus and help contain it?
Why wouldn't gov't and school officials mandate it?

I find it all irresponsible, stupid and perplexing.
The huge biker rally in SD is going to be a disaster as well.
Most countries have limits on how many people can gather together.  Even New Jersey does.   Most countries when they have an outbreak of 9 cases like that one Georgia school, they treat it as an emergency, tests everybody quarantine, isolate, lockdown, contact trace, and make sure that the mini-outbreak doesn't lead to anything much bigger.  In Georgia, it's likely just school goes on as normal.  Unbelievable.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #46666 on: August 09, 2020, 03:27:12 PM »

The Paulding County high school that became infamous for hallways crowded with unmasked students reported a half-dozen students and three staffers in the school with COVID-19, the school district told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution Saturday.

Didn't take long.  And there'll be more.

But at least they retracted the suspensions!

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #46668 on: August 09, 2020, 03:59:38 PM »

https://www.facebook.com/bullymovie/videos/735365803176566/

I wish that this video did not reflect how President Trump works and inspires others to act.

But this is Trump, all over.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #46669 on: August 09, 2020, 04:03:42 PM »

Republicans are waiting for some more truly awful economic news before they belly crawl over and beg the Democrats for a plan to bail them out.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #46670 on: August 09, 2020, 04:10:54 PM »

Richard P. Feynman

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #46671 on: August 09, 2020, 04:13:03 PM »

I should run for Mayor of Anaheim. I have a clean record, and I had a friend from Kiwanis who ran. There are people they just put "Civil Rights Activist" as their job, and they run for office. Some people volunteer to help the homeless, and then they run for Mayor. Sometimes housewives run for Mayor. You do not need to be a brain surgeon to run for Mayor. I could help the homeless. I could help the foster children. I could help the immigrants. I could help those with mental illness. I could help the children. And for sure I would represent the people, everything would be about helping the people. I would not be doing it for the money, I will make money from my movie, and from my poetry book, and from other stuff, I would be doing it to make the world a better place, otherwise I would love to just go make movies and stuff.

Salute,

Tony V.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #46672 on: August 09, 2020, 04:25:25 PM »

So you got nothing except that you disagree.  Very persuasive.

There's no persuading the stupid. The ignorant, there's hope, but the stupid? They just get led to slaughter.

It’s not stupid it’s a view from a different perspective.

The rightwing has dominated their politics in recent times and they’re in the same apocalyptic mindset as here.

The perspective of a blithering fool who doesn't know history, nor fully grasp the commitment of the Arabs to destroying Israel is one not worth considering.

Chime in elsewhere, Larry. Try a topic you're well versed in.

Like...Shark Week.

On more than one occasion I’ve mentioned in the early 90s I represented athletes and artists from the USA working in Israel.

I have a different and most likely more nuanced perspective on Israel than you.

But hey!

No one is more open minded than you, right?

Truly, Lawrence you've been everywhere and dine everything.

How could we forget?

You always do.

Stay humble, Lawrence.

Why?

I’ve gotten to the plate and I took my hacks. All in all I’ve had a pretty good run.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 04:34:07 PM by LarryBnDC »
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #46673 on: August 09, 2020, 04:27:35 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/09/politics/mark-esper-beirut-lebanon-explosion-explanation/index.html

Trump said it was an attack with a bomb.

Lebanon said it wasn't and that they know what it was.

Esper came out with acknowledgment of Lebanon's position.

The White House didn't like what Esper said.

Esper backed off the claim that it was not an attack.

The refusal of this White House to ever admit that Trump was wrong is infuriating.
Have you ever stopped to think that maybe  he is never wrong?

“I may not always be right but I’m never wrong.”
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #46674 on: August 09, 2020, 04:50:06 PM »

The NH GOP, OTOH, has admitted that they were wrong.

https://www.wmur.com/article/nhgop-confirms-printing-mistake-on-statewide-absentee-voter-registration-request-form-mailer/33555838

They sent a statewide mailing on how to vote absentee in NH.

Unfortunately, rather than having each town's clerk listed, everybody got the Durham, NH, Town Clerk's address.

Oops.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #46675 on: August 09, 2020, 04:56:59 PM »

https://youtu.be/tERKT1_RbDQ

The Racist-in-Chief is called out in this ad.

I am sure he will continue to insist that he is the least racist person ever, with Ward and Kid right behind him.

Echo4

• View Profile
Testilying
« Reply #46676 on: August 09, 2020, 05:04:11 PM »

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/08/police-testilying.html?fbclid=IwAR3lZJQ-bieulCD9_ilur-LWzt0gVvrtUVE_h4TwG_KbiHzFHionwnu8anQ

"The police lie. All the time. Can anything slow them down?"

Not every time, but regularly.

This is an example. But contrary to the "just a few bad apples" claim, this sort of lying is run of the mill.

Christopher Parham was grocery shopping for his boss when Henry Daverin, a plainclothes NYPD officer, approached him. Daverin accused Parham of driving recklessly on an illegal scooter without a helmet; a few minutes later, Parham was writhing in pain on the sidewalk outside. What happened during those few minutes was a matter of dispute. The NYPD said that Parham, a Black 19-year-old, had violently resisted arrest. Daverin and his colleagues said that they did not use force against him even though Parham had gruesome Taser burns all across his back.

Then surveillance video of the episode emerged—and proved that nearly every detail of the NYPD’s account was false. Parham had immediately cooperated with Daverin; he did not resist arrest. Nonetheless, Daverin and his colleagues had assaulted Parham, tackling him to the ground, then Tasing him over and over again. After Parham’s attorneys released the video—and his local representatives raised concerns—the district attorney dropped all charges. Daverin, who had been named in at least 10 other misconduct lawsuits, was never disciplined, either for brutalizing Parham or for lying about it. Two years later, he remains on the force.

It's not just these folks. Or the police in the George Floyd murder. Or the Baltimore police task force members who routinely planted evidence, to the point of carrying toy guns to make their shootings look justified.

This tendency to lie pervades all police work, not just high-profile violence, and it has the power to ruin lives. Law enforcement officers lie so frequently—in affidavits, on post-incident paperwork, on the witness stand—that officers have coined a word for it: testilying.

facilitatorn

• View Profile

Richard P. Feynman

Echo4

• View Profile
Re: Testilying
« Reply #46678 on: August 09, 2020, 05:12:05 PM »

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/08/police-testilying.html?fbclid=IwAR3lZJQ-bieulCD9_ilur-LWzt0gVvrtUVE_h4TwG_KbiHzFHionwnu8anQ

"The police lie. All the time. Can anything slow them down?"

Not every time, but regularly.

https://www.ncjrs.gov/App/Publications/abstract.aspx?ID=188476

The National Criminal Justice Reference Service (NCJRS) published that chapter in 2002:
Taking on Testilying: The Prosecutor's Response to In-Court Police Deception (From Crime & Justice in America: Present Realities and Future Prospects, Second Edition, P 223-243, 2002, Wilson R. Palacios, Paul F. Cromwell, and Roger G. Dunham, eds. -- NCJ-188466)

Abstract for the chapter:
The term "testilying" was coined by police officers in New York City. It usually refers to perjury committed by police officers; however, it has also been used to describe other forms of in-court deception. As this chapter demonstrates in a review of the frequency, nature, and reasons for police perjury, "testilying" is an amorphous problem, not easily understood or fixed, but nevertheless a serious problem in the criminal justice system. This chapter does not argue that police officers as court witnesses are generally perjurers in the interest of obtaining convictions or are otherwise dishonest. Probably most are not; however, the evidence of "testilying" is sufficiently strong to suggest that police officers commit perjury or other forms of testimonial deception more often than the public and juries have realized. In addressing the problem, members of the defense bar have tended to use the misdeeds of a few police officers and prosecutors to indict the entire system. A better approach is for each element of the criminal justice system -- police, prosecutors, defense counsel, and judges -- to work together to solve this problem. The first step in the author's recommended graduated approach is education. Officers should learn from their mistakes and receive appropriate rewards for following the rules. The public prosecutor is in a position to deal with "testilying." Prosecutors should decline to prosecute cases they believe are based on unconstitutional evidence. In preparing police witnesses for trial, prosecutors can ensure that officers do not misunderstand their preparation as a go-ahead for perjury through "boilerplate" testimony. Prosecutors should not tolerate "testilying," no matter how small the lie or infrequent the occurrence. 131 notes

"Officers should learn from their mistakes and receive appropriate rewards for following the rules."

Because obeying the law and doing their jobs is something they should get extra rewards for?!

I agree that it happens more often than the public or the juries know it happens.

I suspect it happens more than these authors believe. And I believe the problem is worse today than it was in 2002.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #46679 on: August 09, 2020, 05:23:52 PM »

“The Police lie ALL the time”!
Why is it then that overwhelming numbers of blacks are in favor of MORE police, not fewer?
Pages: 1 ... 3110 3111 [3112] 3113 3114 ... 4288