Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3115 3116 [3117] 3118 3119 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1583758 times)

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #46740 on: August 10, 2020, 08:13:40 AM »

JERUSALEM -- The Israeli military said late Sunday that it struck a Hamas target in the northern Gaza Strip in response to the continued launches of explosives-laden balloons from the Palestinian territory into Israel.

In a brief statement, the army said an aircraft struck a Hamas observation post in northern Gaza.

From the AP.

Hamas at work on the stated goals of the leaders of BDS.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #46741 on: August 10, 2020, 08:13:59 AM »

Wow.

Is he TRYING to lose in November?  Sounds like Grover "Give Everyone a 401k, they can manage their own retirement" Norquist has been whispering in Trump's ear.   And Trump just heard the "kill entitlement programs" but not the other part.
LOL
In response to Trump’s payroll tax forgiveness Pelosi responds that the unemployment compensation extension was “ always negotiable”.
Well it is now.

And it was then. But the GOP isn't interested in negotiation, nor have they ever been.

I think there was negotiation during the Carter years. Probably before that, as well. But I think with the rise of Gingrich that the age of negotiation any time they had the upper hand had largely passed. And "upper hand" merely meant "enough votes to control what's going on."

So, if the Dems retake the Senate and are ready to get rid of the filibuster, the GOP will negotiate. It just won't be in good faith then or pretty much ever again.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #46742 on: August 10, 2020, 08:24:03 AM »

Wow.

Is he TRYING to lose in November?  Sounds like Grover "Give Everyone a 401k, they can manage their own retirement" Norquist has been whispering in Trump's ear.   And Trump just heard the "kill entitlement programs" but not the other part.
LOL
In response to Trump’s payroll tax forgiveness Pelosi responds that the unemployment compensation extension was “ always negotiable”.
Well it is now.

And it was then. But the GOP isn't interested in negotiation, nor have they ever been.

I think there was negotiation during the Carter years. Probably before that, as well. But I think with the rise of Gingrich that the age of negotiation any time they had the upper hand had largely passed. And "upper hand" merely meant "enough votes to control what's going on."

So, if the Dems retake the Senate and are ready to get rid of the filibuster, the GOP will negotiate. It just won't be in good faith then or pretty much ever again.

Pelosi is always underestimated by the Women Haters Club known as the GOP.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #46743 on: August 10, 2020, 08:28:26 AM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/10/health/covid-vaccine-election-moderna-clinical-trials/index.html

"Moderna's clinical trial numbers show there's 'no way' Trump can have a vaccine by Election Day"

This is predicated on the notion that Trump has an honest bone in his body. So, he can't have a working vaccine, but he can declare that he's got one or that Russians can claim that they do and they've made a deal with Trump to get it here, but only if we reelect him.

Or some other manipulation like claiming that Biden cut a deal with X pharmaceutical company to delay the vaccine, the way Nixon did and Reagan did with America's enemies, for the sake of their elections.

I would love to be making this up out of paranoia.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #46744 on: August 10, 2020, 08:49:14 AM »

https://www.baltimoresun.com/coronavirus/bs-hs-coronavirus-vaccine-trial-begins-20200810-kb3qylorwfadhal7td7mh7cn34-story.html

If the Moderna vaccine shows it can prevent enough infections, officials believe federal regulators could approve it by year’s end and inoculations could begin by mid-2021, remarkably swift for a process launched only months ago.

The vaccine uses so-called messenger RNA, which has shown promise in past studies in preventing infectious diseases.

It works by conveying genetic instructions to a person’s cells to make specific proteins that can induce production of antibodies that defend against the virus. That differs from traditional vaccines that inject weakened virus into the body to induce antibody production.

The University of Maryland participated in a trial this year of another messenger RNA vaccine developed by Pfizer Inc. and the German biotech company BioNTech. Those Phase 1 trials went well and the companies recently announced a Phase 2/3 study that also will include 30,000 people, though the university is no longer involved.

“Although face coverings, physical distancing and proper isolation and quarantine of infected individuals and contacts can help us mitigate [coronavirus] spread, we urgently need a safe and effective preventive vaccine to ultimately control this pandemic,” Dr. Anthony S. Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said when the Moderna study was announced.

Public health officials warn, however, that there’s no guarantee any vaccine will work. A big push also will be needed to manufacture enough doses and figure out how to dole them out fairly. Cost may be an issue. Moderna just said it would charge $32 to $37 a dose despite heavy public investment in the vaccine’s development.

Public buy-in also could be an issue, particularly from people often left out of research and at times exploited: Blacks, Latinos and Native Americans. The same communities have been hard hit by the virus.

Dr. Susan Bailey, president of the American Medical Association, said in a news conference Friday that there have been “centuries of inequities” in health care, contributing to fears.

She said allaying concerns in minority communities will be crucial to gaining a necessary mix of people in vaccine trials, as well as getting people vaccinated. African Americans and Latinos are about three times as likely as whites to become infected with COVID-19 and twice as likely to die.

Planning for the fair allocation of any vaccine must happen now, Bailey said. “It’s important that all who need the vaccine can get it.”

At the university, Laurens acknowledged recruitment will be tough for several reasons, including distrust in the community and language barriers. He said researchers are working with community organizations to include minority groups in specific ZIP codes where transmission is highest.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #46745 on: August 10, 2020, 08:53:56 AM »

I don't think the last minute announcement of a vaccine, whether genuine or Trump bullshittery would make any impact.  The number of infections and deaths won't change.  The effectiveness of the vaccine won't be known.  Nobody will benefit.  the virus will still spread for months and months more.  Too little too late.  But won't be surprising if Trump tries it anyway.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #46746 on: August 10, 2020, 08:57:44 AM »

Russia swallowed Crimea; China taking bites out of HK
Not good.  And just the start.  Unclear if they are enforcing the law retroactively.
You can bet that next summer the Tiananmen vigils in HK won't be tolerated.  This has been a thorn in the side of Beijing for decades, and now they are in a position to end or at least severely curtail it.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #46747 on: August 10, 2020, 09:04:41 AM »

Russia swallowed Crimea; China taking bites out of HK
Not good.  And just the start.  Unclear if they are enforcing the law retroactively.
You can bet that next summer the Tiananmen vigils in HK won't be tolerated.  This has been a thorn in the side of Beijing for decades, and now they are in a position to end or at least severely curtail it.

But Trump has been so strong with China! How can this be?!

barton

« Reply #46748 on: August 10, 2020, 10:05:51 AM »

That fox video of Biden riding a bike and looking hearty and joking with a (somewhat clueless) reporter was a nice break from their usual pro-Trump stream.   Puts the lie to the Trump campaign's "feeble old man hiding in his basement" nonsense.  I'd like to see Trump riding a bicycle,  but I know he has to master holding a glass and ramp walking first.   

Any vaccine using the messenger RNA path will probably take longer,  since that's a newer thing.   Expect delays.   Manipulating molecules is finicky hard work.   You can't count on luck.   

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #46749 on: August 10, 2020, 10:28:23 AM »

That fox video of Biden riding a bike and looking hearty and joking with a (somewhat clueless) reporter was a nice break from their usual pro-Trump stream.   Puts the lie to the Trump campaign's "feeble old man hiding in his basement" nonsense.  I'd like to see Trump riding a bicycle,  but I know he has to master holding a glass and ramp walking first.   

Any vaccine using the messenger RNA path will probably take longer,  since that's a newer thing.   Expect delays.   

Manipulating molecules is finicky hard work.   You can't count on luck.

Science is hard and takes time.

Trial and error and error and error and then maybe...

That's why Trump is manipulating the mail and wants to suppress the vote.

That's his real miracle cure.

He doesn't give a fuck about people.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 10:30:14 AM by bankshot1 »

oilcan

« Reply #46750 on: August 10, 2020, 11:01:30 AM »

Many new vaccines have taken five years or more to develop and mass produce.   Covid vaccines will happen a little faster,  due to the massive international effort and prioritizing.   

Meanwhile the healthcare system remains corrupt and crawling with profiteer dirtbags...

https://www.propublica.org/article/how-a-covid-19-test-led-to-charges

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #46751 on: August 10, 2020, 12:04:56 PM »

Many new vaccines have taken five years or more to develop and mass produce.   Covid vaccines will happen a little faster,  due to the massive international effort and prioritizing.

The thing is...

Imagine what else we might be able to solve if we did this.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #46752 on: August 10, 2020, 12:55:21 PM »

If the Moderna vaccine shows it can prevent enough infections, officials believe federal regulators could approve it by year’s end and inoculations could begin by mid-2021, remarkably swift for a process launched only months ago.

Like nobody's ever seen...

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46753 on: August 10, 2020, 04:06:14 PM »

I see Trump toadies are already claiming credit on his behalf for the hard work and urgency of scientists and researchers.

In other news, Trump is considering giving his convention acceptance speech from Gettysburg. Boy, that is really going to antagonize his base.
The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice with the palace has the brew that is true!

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #46754 on: August 10, 2020, 04:23:49 PM »

I see Trump toadies are already claiming credit on his behalf for the hard work and urgency of scientists and researchers.

In other news, Trump is considering giving his convention acceptance speech from Gettysburg. Boy, that is really going to antagonize his base.

He's got that covered, he's going to be flying the "Stars and Bars"
Pages: 1 ... 3115 3116 [3117] 3118 3119 ... 4288