Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3130 3131 [3132] 3133 3134 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1583811 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #46965 on: August 12, 2020, 12:46:08 PM »

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46966 on: August 12, 2020, 12:47:29 PM »

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2020-08-11/diseased-chicken-for-dinner-the-usda-is-considering-it

USDA is considering allowing diseased chicken to be prepared and sold.

What could go wrong?!
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #46967 on: August 12, 2020, 01:09:54 PM »

Harris' seat comes up for re-election in 2022, which is also the date of the next statewide general election. So whomever Gov. Gavin Newsom appoints will not face the voters until the 2022 midterms, when Newsom himself will be up for re-election.

Sen. Dianne Feinstein's seat is up for re-election in 2024, and given the fact that she will be 91 by then, it is entirely possible that California will have the chance to elect two new senators within just two years.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #46968 on: August 12, 2020, 01:27:21 PM »

U.S. Mailing Service Alert: Schwab currently mails statements, trade confirmations and other account-related material from the United States. Due to the evolving situation of the pandemic, the US Postal Service is unable to deliver mail to a number of international jurisdictions. Please visit USPS.com for updates. In order to ensure that you receive timely information about your account, Schwab encourages you to sign up for paperless delivery.

What kind of 3rd World country you running over there?

Actually I was a very happy customer of USAA, but they closed their brokerage service and shifted all accounts to Schwab.  Charles Schwab is a major Trump donor.  So I will probably look for another discount brokerage and not help Schwab  make money he can then donate to politicians antithetical to my world view.  Bad enough I'm kind of in bed with James Dolan ...
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #46969 on: August 12, 2020, 01:46:55 PM »

Lord!

This is not satire!

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/kamala-harris-farther-left-than-elizabeth-warren-bernie-sanders/amp/

No, but it is parody.

A parody of responsible journalism and publishing, that is.
National Review did not create the chart.  That is the work of The non-partisan Govtrack.us and the chart is two years old 
Now Govtrack.us rates Harris The most liberal and the least conservative Senator in today’s Congress.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46970 on: August 12, 2020, 01:57:19 PM »

That would make her closer to the American mainstream than any other member of the Senate. I’m not sure if there aren’t a couple of senators just as in touch as she is, but the fact she’s moved up to VP nominee is certainly a good sign.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #46971 on: August 12, 2020, 01:58:08 PM »

I've said before that a huge responsibility of the VP will be rooting out the left-over corruption and malign forces that seeped into government during the Trump era and ripping it out.  Harris brings energy and know-how to that task.  A good pick focuses on Governance. 

Would like to see Warren as part of that effort.  Maybe as AG.

We know how Republicans like to project.  When they talk about the Deep State, what they are really talking about are their intentions.  Trump is going to be like a defeated general bombing the bridges on his retreat, leaving government even more broken than it is right now.  And that is saying something.
I want Warren to be chair of the Senate Banking Committee.

We're close

I want her to be teller at my bank.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #46972 on: August 12, 2020, 02:22:03 PM »

You’re the only squeegee guy I’ve heard of that uses a bank. Very professional of you.

More data indicating the shifting landscape,

http://m.dailykos.com/stories/2020/8/12/1968688/-Black-Lives-Matter-protests-spark-surge-in-voter-registrations
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #46973 on: August 12, 2020, 02:27:21 PM »

"I don't regret sending my kids to school," the mother of a fourth and fifth grader, who declined to give her name, told CNN. "They're either going to get the virus in school or outside of school, might as well send them back."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/12/us/georgia-schools-parents-coronavirus-wellness/index.html

Just 3% of this district impacted to date - and this is without strict measures (masks, social distancing) - just recommendation.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #46974 on: August 12, 2020, 02:33:00 PM »

"I don't regret sending my kids to school," the mother of a fourth and fifth grader, who declined to give her name, told CNN. "They're either going to get the virus in school or outside of school, might as well send them back."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/12/us/georgia-schools-parents-coronavirus-wellness/index.html

Just 3% of this district impacted to date - and this is without strict measures (masks, social distancing) - just recommendation.

Nearly one-third of the district's schools -- which teach 30,000 students from elementary to high -- have been impacted.

3% =1/3?

The Kiid Red Meadows trump “new math” invariably exposes the idiocy of its practitioners.

RIF, Kiid. RIF.

Richard P. Feynman

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #46975 on: August 12, 2020, 03:30:31 PM »

Uh...

At least 478 students and teachers were asked to quarantine after possible exposure to Covid-19 in the first five days of classes. By early Tuesday, that number had swelled to 925 students and staff. Nearly one-third of the district's schools -- which teach 30,000 students from elementary to high -- have been impacted.

Yeah, no biggie.

I also like using the quote from the woman who has no hope that the US can contain the virus as somehow a valid argument for sending her kid to school.  I mean, I know Trump has royally screwed this up but no, there is a chance her kid won't get infected otherwise and maybe more importantly the parent is protecting herself from getting infected by keeping them home.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #46976 on: August 12, 2020, 03:55:08 PM »

Nearly three dozen current and former members of a federal health advisory committee — including some appointed or reappointed by Health Secretary Alex M. Azar — are warning that the Trump administration’s new coronavirus database is placing an undue burden on hospitals and will have “serious consequences on data integrity.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/12/world/coronavirus-covid-19.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Why do this unless the consequences to data integrity is the point?  It would be a fair question to ask of any administration.  In an administration that has repeatedly shown their priority is Trump's political prospects, in this covid crisis and elsewhere, the answer to the question is obvious.

The very same reason Trump wants to slow down testing.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

facilitatorn

• View Profile

Richard P. Feynman

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #46978 on: August 12, 2020, 04:12:22 PM »

Ain’t no way I’d send my kids back in this. No way in hell.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #46979 on: August 12, 2020, 04:19:39 PM »

Lord!

This is not satire!

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/kamala-harris-farther-left-than-elizabeth-warren-bernie-sanders/amp/

No, but it is parody.

A parody of responsible journalism and publishing, that is.
National Review did not create the chart.  That is the work of The non-partisan Govtrack.us and the chart is two years old 
Now Govtrack.us rates Harris The most liberal and the least conservative Senator in today’s Congress.

This is the thing that gets me when right-wingers talk about the dangers and extremism of a "far left" candidate:  look at the "president" you support.

He is openly racist and supports white supremacy.
He separates families and cages kids as a deterrent to legal requests for asylum at the border.
He actively seeks to disenfranchise millions of voters who he thinks are less likely to vote for him.
He buddies up to dictators, seeks political and financial favors from foreign leaders, and is encouraging foreign interference in our elections.
He is gutting common sense environmental laws in ways not even auto companies support.
He would have kicked 30 million Americans off of their health insurance, and is now seeking to defund Social Security and Medicare.
He simply ignored the threat of spread of a deadly virus in the US that has now killed over 160,000 Americans.
Yesterday he tweeted out support of an openly Qanon candidate.

Ask a right-winger to imagine their worst nightmare antifa environmentalist whatever the fuck fantasy is in their head running the country, and know that the other side is living that reality right now.  There is simply no equivalent to Trump's extremism on the left and the whole scare show about "dangerous liberals" is just that.  Not to mention just pure baseless disinformation.

"Voting for Biden and Harris will destroy our country!"

Uh, have you checked in on what is happening in the US right now?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 04:24:07 PM by NeedsAdjustments »
Pages: 1 ... 3130 3131 [3132] 3133 3134 ... 4288