Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3155 3156 [3157] 3158 3159 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 2007827 times)

Echo4

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #47340 on: August 16, 2020, 05:34:03 PM »

Older folks and minorities are more likely to miss the vote Nov 3 if it has to be in person

This favors Republicans

But COVID itself has greatly benefited the Dems.

It is what it is.

When a party’s electoral strategy depends on fewer people voting it means they know their policies suck for most Americans.

Trump is running on the issues.

Some work to do, yes.

Trump is running on lies, misrepresentations, and fear.

"Some work to do" is a candidate for the "gross understatement of the year" award.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47341 on: August 16, 2020, 05:35:56 PM »

Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #47342 on: August 16, 2020, 05:42:05 PM »

Red and Kiid are the forum equivalent to hearing the stupid station alternately through the woofer and the tweeter. While none of it sounds good, there is a notable difference in the character and flavor of the bullshit they produce.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #47343 on: August 16, 2020, 05:42:59 PM »

Shut up.

Stop making it fund the retirement of workers yet to be born.
That decision made long ago. Typical of government mentality it was very inefficient.

That decision was made in 2006

The Republicans had the presidency and majorities in both Houses  of Congress. .

facilitatorn

• View Profile

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #47345 on: August 16, 2020, 05:53:03 PM »

His area of expertise is magnetic resonance imaging. 

I'm more of a digital subtraction angiography man myself ...

What happened to the Nigerian witch doctor Trump supported?
She'd increase the diversity on the corona virus task force.

Seriously though, Trump pulls so much crazy ish that it's hard to keep up and remember all the stupidity.  And she was just a few weeks ago ..
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #47346 on: August 16, 2020, 05:53:57 PM »

Cutbacks in the USPS are long overdue.  It is setup to be revenue neutral and subsist on revenues generated.
It is at least $80 billion in the red which means our tax money needs to bail it out.

Yes, it is set up to be revenue neutral and to subsist on revenues generated.

I question that choice.
why would you question it?

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #47347 on: August 16, 2020, 05:56:17 PM »

I plan to vote early and often, BUT If people mail their ballots on November 3rd as is required to be a legal vote, then its up to the USPS to deliver that ballot in as timely a manner as possible.

Yes.  Never disputed.
Many states require receipt of the ballot by election day.
35 plus two more that require receipt the day before Election Day.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #47348 on: August 16, 2020, 06:03:47 PM »

Cutbacks in the USPS are long overdue.  It is setup to be revenue neutral and subsist on revenues generated.
It is at least $80 billion in the red which means our tax money needs to bail it out.

I question that choice.

Why wouldn't you? Why should it be?!

What other governmental agencies are "revenue neutral," in and of themselves?

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #47349 on: August 16, 2020, 06:12:51 PM »

I question that choice.

THe USPS is an independent service and not supported by tax revenue, like Defense, Education, Labor Departments . 

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #47350 on: August 16, 2020, 06:32:26 PM »

I question that choice.

THe USPS is an independent service and not supported by tax revenue, like Defense, Education, Labor Departments .

Only since 1970 has it been "independent," but it is still a part of the Executive Branch. It continued to receive budgetary support, with bits and pieces of that getting dropped over the last 38 years or so.

I asked, "What other governmental agencies are "revenue neutral," in and of themselves?"

I can think of about 30 other independent agencies. Only one of them is supposed to provide its own budget - Social Security.

I reiterate: "What other governmental agencies are "revenue neutral," in and of themselves?"

And, further, why should the USPS be one of them?! The changes that made that so are legislative. What reasons are there for not changing it back?

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #47351 on: August 16, 2020, 06:35:23 PM »

Rates are too low and expenses are too high while the number of addresses needing servicing are increasing. Any money Washington wants to grant under the guise of “COVID-19 relief” is needed for long term viability. Any argument it is needed for the 2020 election is just true.

FIFY

The argument for need in 2020 is obvious,  so obvious you keep evading it with other issues.   Lots of people voting by mail when there's a pandemic.   So prompt high-volume logistics are needed.   Now.   No one's disputing that deeper systemic repairs should come after,  which ensure timely delivery of necessities to people in remote rural areas and aren't dependent on a profit center for some private courier.   But fixing things now requires both Congress and a President who isn't subverting the USPS mission with a crony appointment  and a publicly stated contempt for full enfranchisement.
How cute. Your FIFY is a frequent childish tactic on this forum.
Usually happens when the poster has no rebuttal.

Yet I had a rebuttal you were incapable of answering.   I made the case that asking for emergency funding for a deluge of letters in a pandemic election is not "political noise," as you dismissively put it.   You had no substantive reply.   The FIFY is a running joke here,  so get over it.   Lime is a master of the art.   

Give me one reason,  ONE,  that the PMG should  pick right now to reduce overtime, sorting machines,  second pickups, and other measures that thwart a high-volume mail handling situation we will have this fall.   One reason that's not a corrupt crony attack on the November election.   Even Mark Meadows is trying to walk some of this foolishness back as people all over the political spectrum are expressing outrage.   

We're not debating the states responsibilities here,  but rather how the federal postal system can be slowed down to harm implementation of mail voting in some states.   Try to keep up.
LOL!
You are obviously failing at chewing gum and typing at the same time.
Covid-19 is a convenient argument for the Washington politicians to use more of our money to coverup their unwillingness to make the postal service more meaningful in the 21st century.
Combining the election and Mail-in ballots as a further reason to send a check is pure political garbage.
The USPS can handle the volume, but it can’t guarantee on time delivery to 50 states, each of whom have different mailing dates.
Those of us who mail Christmas Cards learned long ago to mail them weeks before Christmas.
State Election officials and voters need to apply the same thought process.

Why did the GOP kneecap the USPS in 2006?
If you are referring to the Bill that pre-funded Postal retirements it was passed  by a voice vote in the House and unanimously in the Senate.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #47352 on: August 16, 2020, 06:38:40 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/16/politics/postal-service-trump-absentee-ballot-request-mail-usps/index.html

Trump's face and words festoon the absentee ballot request mailer that lots of NC citizens received yesterday.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #47353 on: August 16, 2020, 06:56:32 PM »

I question that choice.

Only since 1970 has it been "independent," but it is still a part of the Executive Branch. It continued to receive budgetary support, with bits and pieces of that getting dropped over the last 38 years or so.

I asked, "What other governmental agencies are "revenue neutral," in and of themselves?"

I can think of about 30 other independent agencies. Only one of them is supposed to provide its own budget - Social Security.

I reiterate: "What other governmental agencies are "revenue neutral," in and of themselves?"

And, further, why should the USPS be one of them?! The changes that made that so are legislative. What reasons are there for not changing it back?
Changing it back to what?
If you want to make it for-profit remember it is charged with delivering first class mail every where in the USA even if it takes teams of mules to reach destinations in rural Montana.  In return it was granted a monopoly on first and third rate mail and ownership of all postal mailboxes in the Country. SCOTUS has ruled that the USPS , as an independent government agency, is immune from antitrust actions.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #47354 on: August 16, 2020, 06:58:44 PM »

Rates are too low and expenses are too high while the number of addresses needing servicing are increasing. Any money Washington wants to grant under the guise of “COVID-19 relief” is needed for long term viability. Any argument it is needed for the 2020 election is just true.

FIFY

The argument for need in 2020 is obvious,  so obvious you keep evading it with other issues.   Lots of people voting by mail when there's a pandemic.   So prompt high-volume logistics are needed.   Now.   No one's disputing that deeper systemic repairs should come after,  which ensure timely delivery of necessities to people in remote rural areas and aren't dependent on a profit center for some private courier.   But fixing things now requires both Congress and a President who isn't subverting the USPS mission with a crony appointment  and a publicly stated contempt for full enfranchisement.
How cute. Your FIFY is a frequent childish tactic on this forum.
Usually happens when the poster has no rebuttal.

Yet I had a rebuttal you were incapable of answering.   I made the case that asking for emergency funding for a deluge of letters in a pandemic election is not "political noise," as you dismissively put it.   You had no substantive reply.   The FIFY is a running joke here,  so get over it.   Lime is a master of the art.   

Give me one reason,  ONE,  that the PMG should  pick right now to reduce overtime, sorting machines,  second pickups, and other measures that thwart a high-volume mail handling situation we will have this fall.   One reason that's not a corrupt crony attack on the November election.   Even Mark Meadows is trying to walk some of this foolishness back as people all over the political spectrum are expressing outrage.   

We're not debating the states responsibilities here,  but rather how the federal postal system can be slowed down to harm implementation of mail voting in some states.   Try to keep up.
LOL!
You are obviously failing at chewing gum and typing at the same time.
Covid-19 is a convenient argument for the Washington politicians to use more of our money to coverup their unwillingness to make the postal service more meaningful in the 21st century.
Combining the election and Mail-in ballots as a further reason to send a check is pure political garbage.
The USPS can handle the volume, but it can’t guarantee on time delivery to 50 states, each of whom have different mailing dates.
Those of us who mail Christmas Cards learned long ago to mail them weeks before Christmas.
State Election officials and voters need to apply the same thought process.

Why did the GOP kneecap the USPS in 2006?
If you are referring to the Bill that pre-funded Postal retirements it was passed  by a voice vote in the House and unanimously in the Senate.

What Red omits is a Repub House (232-201) and a Repub Senate (55-45) and Pres GWB saddled the USPS with pre-funding 75 years of pension costs, basically making it impossible for them to become *ahem*  revenue  neutral.

According to my limited research, no other federal agency is required to prefund retiree health benefits on a comparable timetable. The mandate is responsible for all of USPS’s financial losses since 2013.

BUT THE POINT REMAINS THIS IS ALL A DISTRACTION

THE REAL ISSUE IS VOTER SUPPRESSION AND SABOTAGING THE ELECTION BY SHUTTING DOWN THE USPS ABILITY TO PERFORM ITS APPOINTED TASKS OF COLLECTING AND DISTRIBUTING MAIL ON A TIMELY BASIS.

RED IS HAPPY SELLING OUT THIS COUNTRY FOR THE PRICE OF A FUCKING STAMP.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 07:02:49 PM by bankshot1 »
Pages: 1 ... 3155 3156 [3157] 3158 3159 ... 4288