Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3285 3286 [3287] 3288 3289 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1610147 times)

bodiddley

• View Profile
Qaddafi Interlude
« Reply #49290 on: September 03, 2020, 11:35:02 AM »

(Related to a Knix post, which I'm continuing here):

Qaddafi wrecked a half-dozen African countries by fomenting civil war and chaos --
Sierra Leone, Liberia, Burkina Faso, Chad, Central African Republic, and Congo.
Not to mention propping Mugabe up in Zimbabwe for decades with cheap oil and loans.  A primer: https://foreignpolicy.com/2011/03/05/harvard-for-tyrants/

When Qaddafi stopped most of his terrorism in Europe fearing he'd be killed by the US (good job Reagan!), the colonel merely switched his murderous impulses and excessive oil wealth to raping and murdering smaller African countries.  While the West largely lost interest.

Charles Taylor was his main protege and he helped decimate and implode three countries.

Qaddafi recruited Liberia's Charles Taylor, a war criminal standing trial for crimes against humanity, including the abduction of children for combat, systematic rape, and mass murder. Another Qaddafi recruit, Foday Sankoh of Sierra Leone's Revolutionary United Front (RUF), would be standing trial in the same court for similar crimes had he not died of natural causes.

Sankoh, an illiterate corporal, formed the RUF under Taylor's auspices and together they pioneered their signature atrocity in the 1990s -- the amputation of the arms and legs of men, women, and children as part of a scorched-earth campaign designed to take over the region's rich diamond fields. Their atrocities were backed by Qaddafi, who routinely met with Taylor and his closest associates to review the progress of the conflicts and supply weapons. Qaddafi continued sending arms to Taylor even as the latter was being forced from office in 2003.

So yes, Qaddafi's death was a service to mankind.  Well executed.  But then unfortunately little to no follow-up, in a country that has no ethnic/religious divisions and lots and lots of oil wealth.  It should have been possible to set up a gov't to run a wealthy country of under 7M. 

Obama/Clinton can be blamed for not having a post-Qaddafi strategy and assuming Europe could handle things.  But the suffering and human tragedy in the decade post-Qaddafi is still less than was inflicted by Qaddafi on other countries for much longer and far greater numbers of Africans.  Yes, that's an ugly set of scales, but Qaddafi was a scourge, bringing death and destruction to tens of millions throughout Central and West Africa.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 11:49:05 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Echo2

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #49291 on: September 03, 2020, 12:02:37 PM »

After 3 weeks, about 1 in every 1800 attendees of the Sturgis rally has been diagnosed with COVID-19

"More than two weeks after nearly half a million bikers flocked to South Dakota, the tally of coronavirus infections traced back to the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally has surpassed 260, an estimate that is growing steadily as more states report cases and at least one death.

"At least 12 states have turned up cases linked to the 10-day event."

So, Kid's fine with the numbers so far.

I wonder if he has a number after which he will consider that it was ill-advised.

We never did get an answer from him or Ward on how many deaths they considered a reasonable sacrifice on the altar of "schools must reopen in person."

barton

« Reply #49292 on: September 03, 2020, 12:06:26 PM »

So, should Biden lose, do you think it's time you guys get rid of Pelosi?

I think Pelosi has done a terrific job.

Except for her trip to the hairdresser...

which is window dressing, a focus for Kid and the GOP because they have nothing of positive substance to talk about other than the stock market and that news is no longer providing the big positive boost they want and need.

He posted this distraction right after three members called him on his secret airplane nonsense.  In the absence of evidence,  change the subject.

A stylist at the salon has pointed out how Pelosi was set up,  and how the pro Trump owner had been already violating the law for weeks.   A true nothingburger.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49293 on: September 03, 2020, 12:43:06 PM »

Australia (govt) has been criticised for overreacting to  Coronavirus/Covid-19....destroying its society and economy.

Trump did not overreact...but he's still being criticised.

That’s because we have nearly 200000 dead and the economy is headed for a cliff. Trump and Republicans won’t move to help people unless they get liability protection for corporations and companies who may have or is in the process of fucking over their employees.

Trump is killing more people faster and with less discrimination than any active shooter in American history. It’s time for the mythical good guys with guns to step up and end the trump threat.

Do not call for the assassination of the president.

Do you think that is what he meant?

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #49294 on: September 03, 2020, 12:46:00 PM »

Australia (govt) has been criticised for overreacting to  Coronavirus/Covid-19....destroying its society and economy.

That’s because we have nearly 200000 dead and the economy is headed for a cliff. Trump and Republicans won’t move to help people unless they get liability protection for corporations and companies who may have or is in the process of fucking over their employees.

Trump is killing more people faster and with less discrimination than any active shooter in American history. It’s time for the mythical good guys with guns to step up and end the trump threat.

Do you think that is what he meant?

In a well run transparent democracy I’d know for sure wether he was or wasn’t president. In our patchwork of significantly unauditable state voting systems there is no sure way of knowing what the vote counts were, how exactly they were arrived at on the margins, or wether they’d been illegally monkied with. The next test then can be does the individual in question behave as if they were president. In this case the midget in charge has met a presidential standard in maybe five instances in total during his tenure, and then only through the most baroque and absurd contrivances by his handlers. Bush was presidential enough to be termed out and face a war crimes trial or not. This guy, not so much. He’s gearing up to have a true trumpy tantrum in that office. Read some family history on this guy and tell me if that’s something you really want to see.

When they go low go high. How about when they go ballistic? Who can take his keys by nonviolent means? Anyone?

I hope I regret saying that because he has some epiphany that makes him spend the rest of the time doing the job that those who abide by our elections expect him to do rather than the job he is actually running on us.

He can’t join any club that doesn’t have his name on the door and eastern blood money backing the note. There is a Pecker file drawer of good reasons, hardly any of which are sexual, why this is true.

If any of this is too much, please delete it. I won’t bring up the subject again.

Never Mind.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #49295 on: September 03, 2020, 12:58:37 PM »

https://elemental.medium.com/a-supercomputer-analyzed-covid-19-and-an-interesting-new-theory-has-emerged-31cb8eba9d63

Thanks for that.  Hugely interesting.
I sent it to my brain surgeon friends.
Will drop by to the hospital next week to hear what they think.  They handle cardiovascular aneurysm repair, so are quite familiar with vascular issues.  Only thing is that CV-19 is old news in China, but they are smart and curious. 
I found that fascinating and provocative.
And the AI role is quite interesting as well though that article mostly sidesteps that.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #49296 on: September 03, 2020, 01:00:24 PM »

which is window dressing, a focus for Kid and the GOP because they have nothing of positive substance to talk about other than the stock market and that news is no longer providing the big positive boost they want and need.

He posted this distraction right after three members called him on his secret airplane nonsense.  In the absence of evidence,  change the subject.

A stylist at the salon has pointed out how Pelosi was set up,  and how the pro Trump owner had been already violating the law for weeks.   A true nothingburger.
LOL!

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #49297 on: September 03, 2020, 01:05:51 PM »

Here's a good one:
https://www.chicagotribune.com/politics/ct-lori-lightfoot-trump-20200903-hksoedrbrjaklccfdj42gybajy-story.html
Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot on Thursday ripped the latest White House threat to cut federal funding for Democratic-run big cities, saying on social media that if President Donald Trump “wanted ‘law and order,’ he’d start with the White House.”

“1,000 people die daily from his failure on the pandemic. Instead of taking ownership, he chooses to play politics with lives,” she added in a tweet.

Lightfoot’s comments followed a memo issued by the Trump administration threatening to cut funding for New York City, Portland, Seattle and Washington, D.C., over what he said was lawlessness in those cities.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #49298 on: September 03, 2020, 01:14:35 PM »

The Rev. John Stowe has long been critical of President Donald Trump, and the Catholic bishop of the Diocese of Lexington did not hold back in recent comments about what it means to be pro-life.

In a live video chat July 31 with the International Catholic Movement for Intellectual and Cultural Affairs, Stowe said Trump is “so much anti-life.”

“For this president to call himself pro-life, and for anybody to back him because of claims of being pro-life, is almost willful ignorance,” Stowe said. “He is so much anti-life because he is only concerned about himself, and he gives us every, every, every indication of that.”

...Stowe channeled previous comments made by Pope Francis in saying why Trump should not be considered pro-life.

“Pope Francis has given us a great definition of what pro-life means,” Stowe said. “He basically tells us we can’t claim to be pro-life if we support the separation of children from their parents at the U.S. border, if we support exposing people at the border to COVID-19 because of the facilities that they’re in, if we support denying people who have need to adequate health care access to health care, if we keep people from getting the housing or the education that they need, we cannot call ourselves pro-life.”

Pope Francis questioned Trump’s pro-life stance in 2017 when the president tried to end DACA, a federal immigration program that offered protections to some people who were brought to the United States illegally as children.

“I have heard the President of the United States speak,” the pope said at the time, according to the National Catholic Reporter. “He presents himself as a pro-life man. If he is a good pro-lifer, he should understand that the family is the cradle of life and you must defend its unity.”

https://www.kentucky.com/news/state/kentucky/article244796347.html

Echo2

• View Profile
« Reply #49299 on: September 03, 2020, 01:25:15 PM »

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-biden-republicans-exclus/exclusive-biden-garners-more-republican-endorsements-this-time-from-ex-governors-idUSKBN25U1AK

Bill Weld, instead of dallying with the Libertarians this time, has gone straight for the anti-Trump candidate.

Former Gov. Rick Snyder (R-MI) as well.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
Cops Stick Up the Public
« Reply #49300 on: September 03, 2020, 01:30:54 PM »

The "Thin Blue Line" likes cash:

3 current and 6 retired Boston police officers charged with overtime fraud, US attorney says.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/09/02/metro/nine-former-current-boston-police-officers-charged-with-overtime-fraud-us-attorney-lelling-says/

Still, they're underpaid, right?

Five of the six retired Boston police officers accused of overtime fraud are receiving more than $36,000 a month in pension payments collectively, with the sixth set to begin collecting later this month, according to the Boston Retirement System.

Altogether, nine current and former Boston officers were arrested in connection with the overtime scheme, which authorities say netted them more than $200,000. Of the six retired officers implicated in the alleged scheme, five retired in 2020, city records show.

The nine people were each charged in a federal indictment unsealed Wednesday with one count of conspiracy to commit theft concerning programs receiving federal funds and one count of embezzlement from an agency receiving federal funds, the Department of Justice announced on Wednesday.

Here are their names and what they earned in 2019:

Lieutenant Timothy Torigian, 54, of Walpole: $202,619
Sergeant Gerard O’Brien (retired), 62, of Braintree: $173,245
Sergeant Robert Twitchell (retired), 58, of Norton: $158,118
Officer Henry Doherty (retired), 61, of Dorchester: $159,983
Officer Diana Lopez (retired), 58, of Milton: $146,390
Officer James Carnes (retired), 57, of Canton: $134,918
Officer Michael Murphy, 60, of Hyde Park: $163,091
Officer Ronald Nelson (retired), 60, of Jamaica Plain: $79,945
Officer Kendra Conway, 49, of Boston: $131,803

https://www.masslive.com/boston/2020/09/five-retired-boston-cops-accused-of-overtime-fraud-are-receiving-pension-payments-totaling-36k-per-month.html

Look, if you're like kid and red, you can live with cops shooting people in the back, but how do you square such blatant theft from the public? I mean, money is really, really important to the GOP! And yet, not a peep here today about this! you'd rather talk about a trip to the hair salon? WTF!!

Oh, sure, just a few bad apples, right?

I think it's time for a new orchard.

A whole new orchard. Plow the system under and replant.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #49301 on: September 03, 2020, 01:33:15 PM »

Fucking dope:

When Trump was asked by local news station WECT in Wilmington, North Carolina, whether he was confident in the state's absentee voting system, the President launched into a somewhat rambling answer.

"Well, they'll go out and they'll go vote, and they're going to have to go and check their vote by going to the poll and voting that way, because if it tabulates, then they won't be able to do that," Trump said on the tarmac in front of Air Force One. "So, let them send it in, and let them go vote, and if the system is as good as they say it is, then obviously they won't be able to vote. If it isn't tabulated, they won't be able to vote. So that's the way it is. And that's what they should do."

The President later told people to send in their ballots, saying, "Send them in strong, whether it's solicited or unsolicited. The absentees are fine. You have to work to get them, you know."

"And you send them in, but you go to vote. And if they haven't counted it, you can vote. So that's the way I feel," he said.

Trump essentially encouraged voters to test the state's voting system.

According to North Carolina law, it's a felony "for any person with intent to commit a fraud to register or vote at more than one precinct or more than one time, or to induce another to do so, in the same primary or election, or to vote illegally at any primary or election."

Richard Pildes, a CNN election law analyst and professor at the New York University School of Law, said there are both legal and public policy implications to what Trump said.

"First, the legal perspective: all states have mechanisms in place to make sure a voter cannot cast both an absentee vote and an in-person vote," Pildes said. "A typical rule is that if your absentee ballot has not yet been received and you show up to vote in person, your in-person vote will be counted and your absentee ballot will be rejected. But if your absentee ballot is already recorded as having been received, you will be asked to cast what's called a provisional ballot and that ballot will then not be counted once it's confirmed your absentee ballot has been received."

"But from a public policy perspective, these comments are only going to stir enormous confusion," he added.

Rick Hasen, a professor of law and political science at University of California-Irvine and a CNN analyst, said that while a case could be made that Trump was joking, the bigger question is about the intent of his remarks.

"It sounds like he was suggesting an attempt at double voting as a means of testing the integrity of the system, or assuring that his voters can cast at least one ballot for him. Is that a fraudulent intent? I could see how a jury could find it to be so, especially given Trump's other statements suggesting he believes that such double voting would not be caught by election officials," Hasen wrote on his "Election Law Blog."

Vote early and vote often?
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

lesterluv

• Burgers are tasty, but I love steak!
    • View Profile
Re: Qaddafi Interlude
« Reply #49302 on: September 03, 2020, 01:40:02 PM »

Not gonna argue with you that Malomar wasn't a killer, a scoundrel, a [fill-in-the-blank] 

Cause he was. Period. But.....that ain't the point. There's been a gazillion of those guys. Most of 'em we supported at one time or another.

At the time of his Clinton-led overthrow, he was basically a semi-reformed run-of-the-mill dictator with a fully-functioning country.

As usual, U.S. intervention absolutely catastrophic, for Libya's people and the consequences outside of Libya.

OT: His Green Book has some great reading, I have long loved the section on sports & society...excellent stuff!
*** Mike Byrd said, Would that be Ashli, Ashley or Ashlee? Can never be sure with you white trash types." BAM!***

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #49303 on: September 03, 2020, 01:40:37 PM »

So, you're a "no" as well?

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #49304 on: September 03, 2020, 01:47:33 PM »

So, Kid's fine with the numbers so far.

Yes.  Its very close to or the same as if none of the 460000 went anywhere.

Just like with college students at many locales.
Pages: 1 ... 3285 3286 [3287] 3288 3289 ... 4288