Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3401 3402 [3403] 3404 3405 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1603516 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #51030 on: September 22, 2020, 12:30:52 PM »

Trump is HONORING Justice Ginsburg by making the pick a woman.

Just like GHW Bush honored Thurgood Marshall by picking Justice Thomas.

Kid why do you troll this board with your idiocy?

and why do you rejoice in the death of democracy?

Hadn't scrolled down to see this before responding.

And because democracy elevates women and Blacks, of course.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #51031 on: September 22, 2020, 12:45:37 PM »

Trump is serving his own goals by maintaining a woman seat.   If you can't grasp that in an election year when women are deserting Trump in vast numbers,  then you really are naive.

I will take that residual value, sure

Are you saying some undecided female independents are more apt to side with Trump if he chooses a woman?

Just making sure this is your actual point

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #51032 on: September 22, 2020, 12:55:40 PM »

Far be it for me to tell you how to argue, but I think you'd make more sense simply arguing that Trump can pick who he wants for whatever reason he wants.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51033 on: September 22, 2020, 12:58:54 PM »

Trump is serving his own goals by maintaining a woman seat.   If you can't grasp that in an election year when women are deserting Trump in vast numbers,  then you really are naive.

I will take that residual value, sure

Are you saying some undecided female independents are more apt to side with Trump if he chooses a woman?

Just making sure this is your actual point

No, saying that Trump believes that they are.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51034 on: September 22, 2020, 01:29:05 PM »

A four-four SCOTUS in a tightly contested Presidential election shoud make everyone nervous.

Highly contested? Biden should win this in a landslide as a clear majority of Americans understand Trump is a corrupt and inept authoritarian buffoon.

Familiarize yourself with the Electoral College. It's not about "the clear majority of Americans", nor what they "understand".

And follow the money.

I couldn't get into the Electoral College-dad wasn't able to underwrite a $10 million dorm.

Jared's lucky.

The point was Red's wish to have a Repub picked and pack SC decide the election presumably on party lines, rather than the actual votes of the American voters, which if accurately and fairly counted, would likely lead to a Biden victory over the fascist forces of evil.

You hope.

That's not a given, although 62% of Americans say that they want the elected POTUS to pick the next SCOTUS seat.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #51035 on: September 22, 2020, 01:43:17 PM »

Far be it for me to tell you how to argue, but I think you'd make more sense simply arguing that Trump can pick who he wants for whatever reason he wants.

After all the work she did to benefit her gender, my guess is Justice Ginsburg would greatly prefer a female replace her

Thus my comment.

As you were now.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 01:48:14 PM by kiidcarter8 »

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #51036 on: September 22, 2020, 01:49:24 PM »

That’s like saying Bush honored Thurgood Marshall by picking Clarence Thomas who couldn't be more diametrically opposed to Marshall.

Go back to sleep.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #51037 on: September 22, 2020, 01:50:17 PM »

After all the work she did to benefit her gender, my guess is Justice Ginsburg would greatly prefer a female replace her

Thus my comment.

As you were now.

Spoken like an entitled white male.

She fought for justice and equality, not her gender, dimwit.

Doubt Trump understands that anymore than you are demonstrating here.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #51038 on: September 22, 2020, 01:51:32 PM »

Just days after after Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis won a court victory to keep felons from voting until they've paid off fines, restitution and court fees, billionaire Mike Bloomberg has stepped in to help them pay off the debts.

The former Democratic presidential candidate has helped raise more than $20 million so that felons who completed their prison sentences can vote in the presidential election. Bloomberg also has pledged $100 million to help Joe Biden win Florida.

“The right to vote is fundamental to our democracy and no American should be denied that right. Working together with the Florida Rights Restoration Coalition, we are determined to end disenfranchisement and the discrimination that has always driven it,” Bloomberg said in a written statement.

A federal appellate court ruled on Sept. 11 that in addition to serving their sentences, Florida felons must pay all fines, restitution and legal fees before they can regain their right to vote. The case could have broad implications for the November elections. Florida has 29 electoral college votes that are crucial to President Donald Trump’s hopes of staying in the White House.

Under Amendment 4, which Florida voters passed overwhelmingly in 2018, felons who have completed their sentences would have voting rights restored. Republican lawmakers then moved to define what it means to complete a sentence.

In addition to prison time served, lawmakers directed that all legal financial obligations, including unpaid fines and restitution, would also have to be settled before a felon could be eligible to vote.

The Florida Rights Restitution Coalition had raised about $5 million before Bloomberg made calls to raise almost $17 million more, according to Bloomberg staffers.

The money is targeted for felons who registered to vote while the law was in question and who owe $1,500 or less. That accounts for about 31,100 people, the staffers said.

https://news.yahoo.com/bloomberg-raises-millions-help-florida-101153142.html

Poker game.

It's a nice thing for Bloomberg to do, whether or not voting rights are attached

Wouldn’t be a problem if Florida hadn’t instituted a poll tax out of thin air.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51039 on: September 22, 2020, 01:54:05 PM »

Thus my comment.

As you were now.

Which shows just how much you know.

If she just wanted a woman for the sake of a woman, then her last words would have been "please let them replace me with a woman."

She cared about rights, dickhead. Putting in a woman who will set back civil rights as a whole, not only turning back the clock on women's rights to the 1960s or even 1950s, is antithetical to everything she stood for.

Your reasoning is like Trump's or, for that matter, the GOP's when it put Palin in for Veep. The idea is not a woman for the sake of having a woman. I know, this is so hard for you to grasp!

You have managed to get me to the point where I might concede you are that stupid, when I would have argued on your behalf, before this.

(You should show more respect.)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51040 on: September 22, 2020, 01:54:47 PM »

Thus my comment.

As you were now.

This.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51041 on: September 22, 2020, 01:58:29 PM »

Who was trump HONORING when he made you a woman?
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #51042 on: September 22, 2020, 02:02:29 PM »

Thus my comment.

As you were now.

This.

Fuck this.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #51043 on: September 22, 2020, 02:03:16 PM »

She cared about rights. Putting in a woman who will set back civil rights as a whole, not only turning back the clock on women's rights to the 1960s or even 1950s, is antithetical to everything she stood for.

She was getting a  conservative either way.

She is HONORED that it is a woman, keeping the balance of the Court as it is (looking to get to that 4-5 level)

And also increases the overall historical number of female justices by 25% - to FIVE.  That increases level to 4.3% from the 3.5% females (current level) that have previously been approved to serve.

You bet your ass Ruth would approve.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #51044 on: September 22, 2020, 02:03:42 PM »

Got my ballot in the mail, yesterday.

Information for all of you Americans, here.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/how-to-vote-early-safely-and-by-mail-in-all-50-states-173905180.html
Pages: 1 ... 3401 3402 [3403] 3404 3405 ... 4288