Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3749 3750 [3751] 3752 3753 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1882315 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #56250 on: November 07, 2020, 03:37:05 PM »

Jodi Lavoie-Carnes, 48, a dental hygienist who lives in Dover, New Hampshire, supported President Trump for re-election. On Saturday, she was shocked and disturbed by the boisterous celebrations of Biden supporters, who had gathered in her town waving profane anti-Trump signs.

The tone was so negative that she wondered what lies ahead for the country.

“I’m like, are you serious?” she said. “The language doesn’t need to be there. My children need to drive by that.”

She said it was President-elect Biden’s responsibility to keep the tone of celebrations civil.

“Now you’re an elect, so calm them down,” she said. 
  -- NYT

I will offer this olive branch to pro Trump voter:  I kind of agree,  about profane anti-Trump signs and Biden celebrants.   It's possible to celebrate what you see as good things to come for America,  without being a "sore winner. "   That kind of rub-their-faces-in-it stuff isn't going to help reduce the divisiveness or win over anyone who could be a little open to some changes.

Not saying two wrongs make a right but what hapoened to “Fuck your feelings, you snowflakes?”
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56251 on: November 07, 2020, 03:38:14 PM »

I think most people I know are celebrating the process and how well it worked, especially given the way states adjusted to the Covid and its pall over the election.

Yes, some folks don't know how to win, and others don't know how to lose.

Keeping the focus on how we are all in this together and we can figure it out is what Biden has promised. Now he gets to try to deliver it. But the stiff headwinds of the opposition and their allies in the media and in the digital world will make it difficult.

Difficult, but not impossible.

Enjoy today, but expect some difficult tomorrows, especially in the near future with a true rogue in the WH.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #56252 on: November 07, 2020, 03:41:50 PM »

I will say this. At the end of the day the center held, and a MODERATE won this election.

Keep in that in mind when you grab your MAGA hat or put your "Bye, Don" sign on the front lawn.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #56253 on: November 07, 2020, 03:46:43 PM »

I'm so tired of the Republicans doing whatever the hell they want while the Dems tiptoe around always worried about how their actions will be perceived.  It's a losing game.  And not the way to shift the pendulum.

You're right.  Playing fair when your opponent doesn't and hoping your opponent will see how fair you are and change their ways is a fairy-tale.
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #56254 on: November 07, 2020, 03:48:32 PM »

This is FRazier beating Ali.

He just kept coming.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #56255 on: November 07, 2020, 04:06:19 PM »

”And while the race between the former vice president and Donald Trump remained too close to call on Thursday evening, it appears Black Americans once again stepped up to give the Democrat the backbone of his support, especially in key battleground states including Georgia, Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania.

Record turnout among African American voters could be the difference between a Biden win and a Biden loss.

“What we’re all re-learning, both the pundits in DC and uninspired Black voters, is the value of our net worth when we show up at the ballot box,” said Antjuan Seawright, a Democratic strategist in South Carolina. “Even when we’re suppressed, depressed, or misinformed, we still show up.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/nov/05/black-voters-wisconsin-joe-biden
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #56256 on: November 07, 2020, 04:08:40 PM »

Do we get to subtract out the percentage of African-Americans, a larger percentage this time than in 2020, that voted for Trump?  Do we get to call them suckers?
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #56257 on: November 07, 2020, 04:09:31 PM »

Damn, all major roads coming 8nto DC are jammed

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #56258 on: November 07, 2020, 04:14:38 PM »

Do we get to subtract out the percentage of African-Americans, a larger percentage this time than in 2020, that voted for Trump?  Do we get to call them suckers?

You can do whatever you want.

It’s still a free country and will be for the near future.

Lyndon Johnson

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #56259 on: November 07, 2020, 04:15:49 PM »

Yep. I was actually at my office in DC and leaving when word came down. I saw people running outside and cars start honking their horns. I've been asked to head downtown tonight but I'm Covid-wary.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
Tom Hanks son's message of bipartisan unity to America
« Reply #56260 on: November 07, 2020, 04:19:57 PM »

We should all listen to what Chet Hanks had to say with respect to the outgoing president

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHTIyldgsTG/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 04:21:29 PM by Kam »
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #56261 on: November 07, 2020, 04:42:04 PM »

Lyndon Johnson

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #56262 on: November 07, 2020, 04:43:51 PM »

Kinda cool that the nation began in Philadelphia and it was saved there, too.

https://images.app.goo.gl/JdcnaMXqMD2XrNrt6

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #56263 on: November 07, 2020, 04:44:42 PM »

The new immigrants who want to be farm workers can join the United Farm Workers union and the union will tell them where the jobs are, and the union will make sure that the workers are paid fair and are treated well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Farm_Workers

In the old days the farm workers wanted unions so bad, and now the workers are lucky and there are unions.

https://youtu.be/M9vW1dkGEGs

Watch the movie "The Grapes of Wrath." The people during the Great Depression would have loved to have had unions when they picked fruit in the fields. My Grandparents came to California during the Great Depression, My Grandmother's family came from Colorado, and my Grandfather's family came from Arkansas, and they picked fruit here in California. (My Grandmother also worked at the first McDonald's in San Bernardino.) They would have loved to have had unions during the Great Depression, and now people are lucky and there are unions now.

The unions can tell the workers all of the information, they will know where to go, and what the pay is, and everything, the unions are there to help the workers.

Salute,

Tony V.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 04:50:16 PM by FlyingVProd »

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #56264 on: November 07, 2020, 04:47:47 PM »

The new immigrants can plant orange trees for Sunkist, and they can pick fruit, etc. And we also have vineyards, etc. We have a lot of work for farm workers. The unions can tell them where the jobs are, and what the pay is, etc.

Salute,

Tony V.
Pages: 1 ... 3749 3750 [3751] 3752 3753 ... 4288