Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3768 3769 [3770] 3771 3772 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1877236 times)

barton

Re: Rule of Trump
« Reply #56535 on: November 10, 2020, 09:36:25 AM »

Basically, he'd need military backing.
And if he used the Insurrection Act successfully once to crack heads in cities, he could invoke it again to protect his "win" against protesters, counting on support from an already compromised military....

The above is why he fired Mark Esper. Esper pushed back on allowing the Man Who Would  Be The Mad King time use active duty military to put down protests a la Tiananmen Square 1989.

Yes.   It's fortunate that Trump has also alienated a lot of the military including JCoS.

bodiddley

• View Profile
Caucusing ...
« Reply #56536 on: November 10, 2020, 09:42:11 AM »

If anyone's interested, Russia brokered a ceasefire and hopefully a somewhat long-term (5 year) settlement to hostilities between Azerbaijan and Armenia.  This after Azeri forces smacked around the breakaway Armenian forces and took over a strategic town close to the Nagorno-Karabakh capital Stepanakert.  Azerbaijan with its oil wealth and Turkish and Israeli weaponry has a decided military advantage.  While Armenia was worried about turning it into a direct Armenia-Azerbaijan war.

A qualified but definite win for Azerbaijan who reignited the warfare:
1) A loss of (conquered) territory by Armenia, as Azeris get some of the buffer land surrounding N-K returned.  Thus making disputed N-K an Armenian exclave.
The road corridor from N-K to Armenia will remain open and guarded by nearly 2000 Russian troops.

2) A similar road corridor from the Azeri exclave Nakhchivan to Azerbaijan will be opened.  It's a sizable chunk of Azerbaijan land that sits north of Iran and south of Armenia and not adjacent to Azerbaijan, previously necessitating that provisions and trade with the main part of Azerbaijan had to be done via air or through Iran.

3) Azerbaijan has revived the issue Nagorno-Karabakh, which is Azerbaijan land that Armenia took over by war in the 90's, on to the international agenda, after a 3 decade stalemate where nothing happened and the international community didn't care.

Also a Win for Putin who gets to play peacemaker, keep good relations with both Azerbaijan and Armenia, and gets its troops more entangled into the Caucasus (Russian troops already control two chunks of Georgia, in so-called frozen conflicts, Abkhazia which used to be called the Georgian Riviera and South Ossetia, which isn't that far from the Georgia capital Tbilisi and nearly borders the main Georgian highway across the country). 
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #56537 on: November 10, 2020, 09:52:35 AM »

Trump of course is highly erratic. 

He's buddied up to generals by larding his cabinet with them.  Which I think is a dangerous practice in itself.  But he's also treated many of them badly, kicking them to the curb and wiping his feet on them on the way out.

He dishonored McCain and other POW's.  Crapped on the one Gold Star family, etc
More recently, reportedly said that soldiers who fought/died in wars were suckers.

And even his election claims of fraud from mail-in ballots has rankled a lot of military personnel who rely on that to exercise their vote.  I've heard that many in the rank and file have been bothered by this, so it's likely those in command also take issue with that.

Trump has also increased military spending by hundreds of billions his 4 years.

So a real mixed bag with Trump and the military.  But he did get close to the military and engage it more in politics than usually accepted in the US.
The creepy way he refers to "his generals" and expects them to do his erratic bidding was worrisome.  Probably good/lucky that Trump gets easily distracted and has poor follow-through.

I've just been pointing out that there was potential danger there, that we likely averted.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #56538 on: November 10, 2020, 10:25:36 AM »

4. Trump is reportedly looking into getting states with a GOP legislature in which the citizens voted for Biden to verify a Trump slate of electors instead

Reportedly

Lots of "reportedly" and "according to a source", which then becomes "reportedly", which has been a problem (press taking many liberties)

They've done a nice job. 

I do look forward to new faces popping up amidst the initially pro Biden press.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 10:27:16 AM by kidcarter8 »
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #56539 on: November 10, 2020, 10:37:45 AM »

The above is why he fired Mark Esper. Esper pushed back on allowing the Man Who Would  Be The Mad King time use active duty military to put down protests a la Tiananmen Square 1989.

Yep.  Mostly.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56540 on: November 10, 2020, 10:38:46 AM »

4. Trump is reportedly looking into getting states with a GOP legislature in which the citizens voted for Biden to verify a Trump slate of electors instead

Reportedly

Lots of "reportedly" and "according to a source", which then becomes "reportedly", which has been a problem (press taking many liberties)
Lindsay Graham, who lacks the political capital to get his balls out of hock, says that option is on the table.
"Not that others should have relief while you are burdened, but that as a matter of equality your abundance at the present time should supply their needs, so that their abundance may also supply your needs, that there may be equality."

2 Corinthians 8:13-14

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #56541 on: November 10, 2020, 10:50:54 AM »

Well, no - he said "everything should be on the table"

This is not akin to Trump calling for electors to turn their backs on the state's popular vote.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #56542 on: November 10, 2020, 10:52:51 AM »

barton

« Reply #56543 on: November 10, 2020, 11:04:39 AM »

Sorry,  not accepting a newsmax cookie on my tablet.   Not an acceptable source,  highly biased.

How State Sen. Ernie Chambers Helped Keep Nebraska's Electoral College Votes Split 

https://www.npr.org/2020/11/09/933215552/how-state-sen-ernie-chambers-helped-keep-nebraskas-electoral-college-votes-split

First met Ernie when I was 17, he spoke to my high school class.   A hero to many of us,  still going strong.   

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56544 on: November 10, 2020, 11:05:51 AM »

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #56545 on: November 10, 2020, 11:14:31 AM »

Sorry,  not accepting a newsmax cookie on my tablet.   Not an acceptable source,  highly biased.

How State Sen. Ernie Chambers Helped Keep Nebraska's Electoral College Votes Split 

https://www.npr.org/2020/11/09/933215552/how-state-sen-ernie-chambers-helped-keep-nebraskas-electoral-college-votes-split

First met Ernie when I was 17, he spoke to my high school class.   A hero to many of us,  still going strong.

You read it

And you will never comment on Hunter Biden or Joe's hiding from the story

This is how it works.  I understand.  Which is why I didnt mention it pre-election at all.

Dems did a nice job keeping the true journalists away from the candidate.  All part of the game, which it seems they have won this cycle.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56546 on: November 10, 2020, 11:24:56 AM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/10/health/brazil-suspends-china-vaccine-trials-intl-hnk/index.html

and
https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/10/us/el-paso-covid-mobile-morgues/index.html
El Paso needs more trailers and mobile morgues. "It is what it is," but it sure as hell didn't need to be.

and
https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/10/health/us-coronavirus-tuesday/index.html
"Expert predicts US could soon hit 200,000 daily Covid cases"

Kid wants to talk about Hunter Biden, but not about COVID-19 and not about the Trump "children."
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

barton

« Reply #56547 on: November 10, 2020, 11:31:27 AM »

You read it

And you will never comment on Hunter Biden or Joe's hiding from the story

This is how it works.  I understand.  Which is why I didnt mention it pre-election at all.

Dems did a nice job keeping the true journalists away from the candidate.  All part of the game, which it seems they have won this cycle.

Nobody is keeping journalists away from real stories.   Journalists do not pursue rumours that lack merit or have any supporting factual basis. I commented on Hunter Biden here,  as did several others,  directly addressing the issue a little while ago.   You have minimal understanding of how responsible journalism works or why reputable papers don't just run with gossip.   Please do not tell me what I will or won't comment on. 

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #56548 on: November 10, 2020, 11:32:16 AM »

My post of Kelly's statements this morning is about the PRESS, not Hunter Biden.

As for COVID - you and your cronies' denial of Trump's "we are turning the corner" seems more idiotic each moment.

It's spreading, numbers are going up after going down?  No shit - it's a horrible virus.  And as reported all along, therapeutics and vaccines are the answer - happening at speeds "NOBODY HAS EVER SEEN BEFORE" - nod to Ms McCallum

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56549 on: November 10, 2020, 11:47:31 AM »

My post of Kelly's statements this morning is about the PRESS, not Hunter Biden.

As for COVID - you and your cronies' denial of Trump's "we are turning the corner" seems more idiotic each moment.

It's spreading, numbers are going up after going down?  No shit - it's a horrible virus.  And as reported all along, therapeutics and vaccines are the answer - happening at speeds "NOBODY HAS EVER SEEN BEFORE" - nod to Ms McCallum

It's at a fast speed. It is not the US alone doing it and if we were cooperating with the rest of the world instead of trying to compete with them, it might be even faster.

Might.

BUT YOUR FUCKING BULLSHIT ABOUT TURNING THE CORNER IS SICK.

We're back over 1000 dead a day for the first time in 80 days. Our daily new cases has more than tripled in less than two months.

And it did not have to be.

The spread in the White House did not have to be, yet here it is for a third pass, because the Superspreader-in-Chief refuses to do the simple thing and mocks those who do.

And your silence and Ward's spurious pretense of attacking the chart that showed a clear relationship between masks and no masks simply makes you complicit.
Pages: 1 ... 3768 3769 [3770] 3771 3772 ... 4288