Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3887 3888 [3889] 3890 3891 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1584754 times)

oilcan

Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #58320 on: November 27, 2020, 11:37:22 AM »

Some guy seen with a bag of USB cards.   Right.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #58321 on: November 27, 2020, 11:52:55 AM »

Red seems to have a difficult time grasping the idea that the Constitution can be interpreted differently by those with different perspectives, as new circumstances are called on to be adjudicated.

While the recent 5-4 vote upheld the right of religious congregations to assemble with no restrictions as to the # of congregants, despite the heightened risks of spreading disease they may pose to society, that vote likely would have been 5-4 the other way if held 6 months ago without Justice Serena Joy on the court.

Article One would still have been a nice starting point but I'm not sure Red would cite it to affirm that hypothetical SC decision.

Red also fails to consider that restrictions applied even MORE vigorously to businesses in NY,  so it's really hard to argue churches or temples were singled out on a basis prejudicial towards religion.   And other case precedents  have affirmed that restrictions applied generally across society are not a discriminatory abridgement of religious worship.

Yup.

I get that restricions on attendence at religious observations is tricky stuff as it goes to the heart of why this country was founded.

But if the Consitution starts with,

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare

If we can accept that our founding fathers put primacy on "insuring domestic tranquility" and "promoting the general welfare" is it a leap to think they could accept limitations on religious gatherings to help stop a fucking plague from killing us? 

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58322 on: November 27, 2020, 11:54:00 AM »

Kid simply doesn't realize what a fool he's making of himself.

Why are you ignoring evidence?

Do you wish all future US elections to involve shenanigans?  Why?  Why not fix some things?

Unsubstantiated testimony is not highly compelling.

And we've been pleading to get rid of vulnerable voting machines for a long time - the GOP has been resisting it, or have you forgotten?

Anybody can make claims - making them at a single-party hearing that was assembled for show is just one more way that this looks more like a kangaroo court than not.

But perhaps this self-anointed pirate hunter is telling the truth.

Wonder why nobody on site listened to him! Wonder why he took no pictures of this questionable behavior!

Concrete evidence is so much better than unsupported witness testimony.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
Re: Wrong again, Red
« Reply #58323 on: November 27, 2020, 12:04:05 PM »

So you got nothing as usual ...

Otherwise, the Constitution is rather short on details.
Case law is where the Constitution gets explicated and details emerge.

You're welcome ...
Article One is a nice starting point.

Ward is basically saying that every time that the court ruled the other way prior to this on such matters, they were wrong, because the majority of Justices did not understand the Constitution, but he does.
Hmmm. I never said any such thing.  Also, I think every other SCOTUS action on this matter was 4-4 , which left the record of a lower court in tact.

I commend reading Sotomayor's dissent to those who think and care about human life. It dismantles the bogus arguments used by the majority to support their fallacious conclusion.
Hmmm. Gorsuch put it best.

Even in a pandemic, the Constitution cannot be put away and forgotten,....The restrictions at issue here, by effectively barring many from attending religious services, strike at the very heart of the First Amendment’s guarantee of religious liberty.

I would, oh so terribly surprisingly, argue that this decision is far more in keeping with SCOTUS' decisions than the reverse would have been, not because it is consistent with law, but because inconsistency with regard to religion is a hallmark of their decision-making.

Oh, it's okay that Nebraska start their legislative sessions with prayer, because notwithstanding the religious component of it, they've been doing it a long time.

Oh, it's okay that this city puts up a creche - it's just celebrating a national holiday, after all.

Sure, you can say "In God We Trust," as that is not promoting a specific religion.

Sure, you can restrict certain businesses from operating on Sunday or make others pay workers more on it. Has nothing to do with religion.

[
SCOTUS has never been honest with itself about its own biases on religion.

We should not expect that to be better now than it has been, but worse. And with its being worse, so too will be the quality of "reasoning" made to support that dishonesty.
I have never seen a more ignorant post from you than that one.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 12:08:33 PM by REDSTATEWARD »

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #58324 on: November 27, 2020, 12:08:40 PM »

Do you wish all future US elections to involve shenanigans?  Why?  Why not fix some things?
I don't think you know the meaning of evidence.
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58325 on: November 27, 2020, 12:23:25 PM »

Distribution of paper ballots to all eligible voters so they can be mailed in or dropped of up to 3 weeks before any election would fix a lot of shenanigans. I’m glad you are in favor of this important fox to our election security from threats foreign and domestic.

The makeup of the court is 3 liberal, 1 conservative, 5 criminally insane.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 12:27:08 PM by facilitatorn »
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58326 on: November 27, 2020, 12:24:47 PM »

I don't think you know the meaning of evidence.

I don't thing he does, either, but testimony even without support is still considered evidence in a hearing or case.

Not very good evidence, but evidence, regardless.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

facilitatorn

• View Profile
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58328 on: November 27, 2020, 12:28:24 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-pandemic-11-27-20-intl/h_3f48a9348fe71b1d6be9dd6ae374431e

Youth Basketball Tournament leads to COVID-19 cases.

What could go wrong?!

Why does the GOP want so many people to get sick and possibly die from this disease?!

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #58329 on: November 27, 2020, 12:43:23 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-pandemic-11-27-20-intl/h_3f48a9348fe71b1d6be9dd6ae374431e

What could go wrong?!

Why does the GOP want so many people to get sick and possibly die from this disease?!
The GOP invented Basketball?

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #58330 on: November 27, 2020, 01:05:04 PM »

Inventing Basketball is both productive and creative. Because of this, we know that nothing that constitutes today’s GOP could be in any way responsible. Point shaving in basketball to effect gambling outcomes could well have been invented by the GOP. That’s much more their style.

Mass murder is also very on brand for republicans these days, as is self-gaslighting, something RedWard has clearly mastered. The dogs he fucks get up with his fleas.

http://www.vice.com/en/article/jgq5bx/trump-is-gaslighting-himself-and-really-thinks-he-won-the-election-mary-trump-says

Richard P. Feynman

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #58331 on: November 27, 2020, 01:20:04 PM »

news ltd:
"Ivanka Trump to move to New Jersey, rejected from New York High Society".

#####

Talk about "Visiting the sins of the father upon the children".

It's times like these that you find out who your real friends are.
'Low society" is better anyway, ...real, easy, comfortable...which is the best way to live life.
You can still make money, live happily.
No friends?
No worries, one can live very happily without any.
"Fairweather" friends are not worth having anyway.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 01:23:53 PM by bambu. »
Go woke, go broke.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #58332 on: November 27, 2020, 01:22:18 PM »

What could go wrong?!

The GOP invented Basketball?

I'm pretty sure a Canadian by way of Springfield, Ma invented the game.

Although Mitch McConnell has tinkered with it, and has effectively used both a box-and-1 to stall and a full-court press to his advantage. 

I think Red's more of a football guy.

barton

« Reply #58333 on: November 27, 2020, 01:29:28 PM »

Red seems to have a difficult time grasping the idea that the Constitution can be interpreted differently by those with different perspectives, as new circumstances are called on to be adjudicated.

While the recent 5-4 vote upheld the right of religious congregations to assemble with no restrictions as to the # of congregants, despite the heightened risks of spreading disease they may pose to society, that vote likely would have been 5-4 the other way if held 6 months ago without Justice Serena Joy on the court.

Article One would still have been a nice starting point but I'm not sure Red would cite it to affirm that hypothetical SC decision.

Red also fails to consider that restrictions applied even MORE vigorously to businesses in NY,  so it's really hard to argue churches or temples were singled out on a basis prejudicial towards religion.   And other case precedents  have affirmed that restrictions applied generally across society are not a discriminatory abridgement of religious worship.

Yup.

I get that restricions on attendence at religious observations is tricky stuff as it goes to the heart of why this country was founded.

But if the Consitution starts with,

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare

If we can accept that our founding fathers put primacy on "insuring domestic tranquility" and "promoting the general welfare" is it a leap to think they could accept limitations on religious gatherings to help stop a fucking plague from killing us?

Constitutional religious freedom has never meant "freedom from all secular law."  If gatherings are generally banned, then no group is excepted from that ban.  If murder is illegal, you can't gather at the Church of Quetzlcoatl and slaughter three virgins to appease angry volcanoes and claim you have religious freedom to do so.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #58334 on: November 27, 2020, 01:30:06 PM »

I think Red's more of a football guy.

I heard Red is a fan of collegiate wrestling and coaches who give unannounced rectal exams.

news ltd:
"Ivanka Trump to move to New Jersey, rejected from New York High Society".

#####

Talk about "Visiting the sins of the father upon the children".

It's times like these that you find out who your real friends are.
'Low society" is better anyway, ...real, easy, comfortable...which is the best way to live life.
You can still make money, live happily.
No friends?
No worries, one can live very happily without any.
"Fairweather" friends are not worth having anyway.

Ivanka is a thief and a conwoman. She deserves to be in a cage on the border. She may wind up back in New York at Fishkill or Ossining, back in public housing on the tax payers’ dime.

She’s getting flushed and in exchange we’re getting a competent and effective administration that understands and values things like ethics, the constitution, and oaths of office. Once again America will be trying to live up to its hype with no more gritting and gaslighting from its executive branch.

http://www.dcreport.org/2020/11/24/the-president-elect-biden-train-gets-rolling/

Richard P. Feynman
Pages: 1 ... 3887 3888 [3889] 3890 3891 ... 4288