Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3987 3988 [3989] 3990 3991 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1876221 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #59820 on: December 11, 2020, 10:54:02 AM »

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2020/12/11/denver-riggleman-republican-party-newday-vpx.cnn

A GOP congressman decries misinformation, conspiracy theories, racism, antisemitism, and the tons of bullshit coming out of his party.

Of course, he's retiring.. why else would he dare to say such things?!

A profile in courage, huh?
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #59821 on: December 11, 2020, 10:55:55 AM »

From the amicus brief by Gov. Bullock

Texas chose not to include the State of Montana,
where President Trump and other Republicans were
successful in a mail ballot election conducted to reduce
the impact of COVID—underscoring, of course, that this
action is less about election integrity than it is about
attempting to overturn the will of the electorate. But if
Texas is successful in its suit, it would destabilize the
results of elections in Montana and any other state that
took valid state-law actions to minimize the impact of the
virus on voting, including states that delivered victories
to Republican candidates using mail ballots.

This is at bottom an attempt to delegitimize and yes, criminalize black voters and voters.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star

Lyndon Johnson

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #59823 on: December 11, 2020, 11:36:42 AM »

Scomo is getting trumpy with Oz’s vaccine rollout.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-55269381

Troubling. Shows you’ve got to thoroughly vet your research before approval.

Indeed.
That's what he's doing/did.
Research cancelled...vaccine cancelled...ScoMo and Co watching and waiting...only the best will do.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #59824 on: December 11, 2020, 11:47:09 AM »

Defund the Police!

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/prince-william-officers-shoot-kill-79-year-old-man-police-say/2504993/?fbclid=IwAR33EtOQRYH3AYGMa8_1TPHgj-H0bFcTHvU8DLkMV5-z0crPUkBAsGFNysw

Point a gun at the cops anywhere, they will shoot you.
Don't drop the gun when ordered to, they will shoot you.

Roaming the gated community armed with a gun?
Wife rang cops about husband making concerning statements?
What if he'd shot another resident, bambu-ilk for example?

People acting "crazy" armed with guns are a menace...and must be stopped before they kill someone.
Hard to be critical of the cops without knowing every detail of the case.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 11:59:41 AM by bambu. »

barton

« Reply #59825 on: December 11, 2020, 01:02:57 PM »

K-man could do a mic drop after this one...

I still keep seeing news reports that frame congressional arguments about relief bills as a debate about “stimulus.” But stimulus is what you do when unemployment is high because people aren’t spending enough. And that’s not the problem we face.

Think about it. Why are there still two million fewer workers in “food services and drinking places” than there were before the coronavirus struck? It’s not because people can’t afford to eat out or go to bars. It’s because eating out and gathering in bars are  dangerous activities. In many parts of the country these activities are, rightly, either banned or sharply restricted; even where they’re allowed, many people, understanding the risks, choose to stay home.

The role of economic policy in this situation isn’t to bring those jobs back while the pandemic is still raging — we actually don’t want a resurgence of employment in high-risk sectors until vaccines are widely available. What we should be doing, instead, is minimizing the suffering while we wait. That is, the issue isn’t stimulus, it’s disaster relief.

What should this relief involve? It should provide support for the unavoidably unemployed, sustain businesses through the dark months ahead and aid state and local governments that are suffering severe declines in revenues and that will otherwise be forced to make drastic cuts in essential services.

And no, this last problem isn’t restricted to blue states. In fact, six of the seven states expected to face the biggest revenue declines have Republican governors.

House Democrats have always been willing to pass a relief bill along the lines I’ve described. And as I said, until a few days ago the Senate appeared to be moving toward a bill that, while much smaller than Democrats wanted, would be better than nothing. The main obstacle seemed to be the determination of Mitch McConnell, the Senate majority leader, to include a poison pill — a blanket exemption of businesses from any liabilities related to exposing their workers to Covid-19 risks. But observers were hopeful that an agreement could still be reached.

Then came the Trump administration intervention — a proposal from Steven Mnuchin, the treasury secretary, that McConnell quickly endorsed even though it was disastrously wrongheaded.

I’m not sure whether the coverage of this discussion has fully explained just how bad Mnuchin’s proposal is. Many headlines emphasized the cost, a bit over $900 billion, which was similar to that of the emerging bipartisan bill, suggesting that the administration was weighing in with something positive.

In fact, however, the administration proposal completely eliminated the most important piece of any relief deal — expanded benefits for the unemployed — replacing it with one-time $600 checks that would be sent to everyone.

Again, think about it. For Americans who won’t be able to return to work while the pandemic is still raging, a one-time payment of $600 is grossly inadequate, while for those who haven’t lost their jobs it’s unnecessary. It’s true that people might spend some of the grant, boosting overall demand — but overall lack of demand isn’t the main problem right now.

So what is Mnuchin thinking? We can’t rule out sheer ignorance. It is, sad to say, entirely possible that, nine months into the pandemic slump, administration officials still don’t understand the basic logic of relief. Or they may be in thrall to the thoroughly debunked myth that unemployment benefits actually cause high unemployment.

Or maybe this proposal reflects the expiring administration’s special combination of delusion and cynicism. President Trump is still trying, in ever more desperate and destructive ways, to overturn the results of the election. And in his madness he may imagine that he will gain more politically from sending everyone another check with his name on it than from helping those truly in need.

barton

« Reply #59826 on: December 11, 2020, 01:09:55 PM »

Defund the Police!

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/prince-william-officers-shoot-kill-79-year-old-man-police-say/2504993/?fbclid=IwAR33EtOQRYH3AYGMa8_1TPHgj-H0bFcTHvU8DLkMV5-z0crPUkBAsGFNysw

Point a gun at the cops anywhere, they will shoot you.
Don't drop the gun when ordered to, they will shoot you.

Roaming the gated community armed with a gun?
Wife rang cops about husband making concerning statements?
What if he'd shot another resident, bambu-ilk for example?

People acting "crazy" armed with guns are a menace...and must be stopped before they kill someone.
Hard to be critical of the cops without knowing every detail of the case.

I agree with your last sentence.  It's hard to know what the man's intent was, though I saw a report that he was suicidal.  If so, that somewhat shifts the narrative to "suicide by  cop," a phrase that describes raising a gun against LEO's in hope they will kill you.  But, really, more details are needed to know if the police action was proportional, i.e. if the old man did raise a gun at them or if he had threatened others in the area with his gun.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #59827 on: December 11, 2020, 01:30:03 PM »

May very well have saved the wife's life

But if he didnt have a gun as he roamed - just the wife said so - this could be bad.

Helicopter spotted him in the woods.  Did they see him with a gun through their binoculars?

Did he - when home - raise the gun only after officers drew on him?
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59830 on: December 11, 2020, 02:37:03 PM »

http://www.salon.com/2020/12/11/republicans-want-more-than-a-coup-trumps-loyalty-test-exposes-their-hatred-for-democracy/

Yes.

The Bullock quote makes that quite clear.

OTOH, so did polling in previous years showing that a lot of GOP folks want an official religion (Christianity) regardless of the Constitution.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #59831 on: December 11, 2020, 02:37:44 PM »

When newspapers started putting up paywalls they stopped being accessible to most americans.  Information comes at a cost.  But you know what doesn't?  Disinformation.  So over the last decade we've seen disinformation spread on cable news networks, chat room message boards,  social networks, and broadcast radio.

The decision made by the NY Times and others to make their valuable reporting harder to come by has led to disastrous outcomes all across America.
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59832 on: December 11, 2020, 02:40:10 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/11/economy/consumer-sentiment-rebound-december/index.html

Optimism about the Biden administration weighs more than pessimism about the pandemic, so far.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59833 on: December 11, 2020, 02:43:29 PM »

Moderate GOP Sen. Lisa Murkowski said she was disappointed by the Texas lawsuit to overturn the election.

"I am really surprised and disappointed that 43 days before everything is to be certified that there would be an effort by members, effort by states that are not even impacted in the sense of the challenges," she said.
She added she would be surprised if she got a petition sent to her office.

"I don't think they would send one to my office. I would certainly hope not. Because that meant they haven't seen my statements which I have clearly said President-elect Biden and Vice President-elect Harris are going to be beginning a new administration in January," she said.

Asked about his House GOP colleagues joining the amicus brief, including Rep. Steve Scalise, Sen. John Cornyn asked, "Did they read it?" before laughing.

"I'm for people seeking recourse," he said, adding that he looks forward to seeing the Supreme Court decision when it happens.

When asked if he’s aligning himself legally with the lawsuit, close Trump ally Sen. Mike Braun responded, “I just haven’t made my mind up yet.”

“You know I’ve all along said that I want the process to play out and I’m just watching it, observing, not sure what’s going to happen, I’m anxious to see if the Supreme Court is going to hear it, I think they should,” he said.

When asked about the Texas lawsuit, retiring GOP Sen. Lamar Alexander said, "I’m never surprised by the House of Representatives" and laughed.

And Sen. Joni Ernst dodged questions on if she's supportive. "I think it's important all vote be counted," she said.

Meanwhile, Sen. Steve Daines told CNN he was supportive of the lawsuit.

"Montana has joined it and I'm glad to see why," Daines said, adding he supports it. "I have great confidence in the United State Supreme Court ... and we'll wait to see what the Court rules."

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59834 on: December 11, 2020, 02:46:50 PM »

And with this, they have proven it did not need to be at the Supreme Court level. Thank you, gentlemen (and ladies, if any).
https://www.supremecourt.gov/DocketPDF/22/22O155//20201211142818270_SCOTUS%20Motion%20for%20Intervention%20Final%20-%20word%20certificate.pdf
Pages: 1 ... 3987 3988 [3989] 3990 3991 ... 4288