Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3996 3997 [3998] 3999 4000 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1994825 times)

kidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #59955 on: December 12, 2020, 04:44:15 PM »

Quite a peaceful day in DC

But I hear BLM and AntiFa factions have just arrived in the area as the sun goes down.

Sad.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #59956 on: December 12, 2020, 04:48:24 PM »

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/l-a-paying-130k-for-8-ft-by-8-ft-shed-in-bid-to-house-homeless-people/

At the city’s first tiny home village, set to open in January, each of the 39 closet-sized homes is costing $130,000, about 10 times what some other cities are spending.

========

We cannot allow this to happen, the money needs to be spent wisely.

And we need TOWERS, not sheds. The bottom floors can be for the poor, and for the disabled and for the homeless Veterans, etc, and then the top floors can be penthouses, and the top floors can be expensive and nice, with a swimming pool on the roof, etc.

We need towers, not sheds.

And Hollywood can have towers, etc.

In Anaheim we will have new towers in the Platinum Triangle community, by Angel Stadium.

Salute,

Tony V.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59957 on: December 12, 2020, 05:02:48 PM »

I’d hope they’d be a little more generous with the space. If they are plumbed, electrified, ventilated, insulated, earthquake and fire resistant, and well built, the price is about right. That said it does look like someone else could have won the bid and done a nicer job.

Nothing involving CA real estate is ever straight forward or completely above board.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #59958 on: December 12, 2020, 05:05:40 PM »

I got a 10x12 tough shed with a 16’ peak and an upper loft that has great skin and bones for less than 8k four years back with windows, vents, a skylight and barn doors. That leaves me, what, 120k to uplift?

I think it could be done.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #59959 on: December 12, 2020, 05:23:12 PM »

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #59960 on: December 12, 2020, 05:28:21 PM »

http://youtu.be/MUAq7q83Xew

Make them beg, bitch, dance, and denounce treason before a single one gets seated.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #59961 on: December 12, 2020, 05:29:23 PM »

Out of the totality of written literature are those the very best books to teach people about the times and places they are set in?

The voice is not eliminated. No longer required and eliminated are not the same thing.

Reading lists get updated and toothless geezers winge about it. This has always been and probably will always be the case.

While I'm not yet toothless, according to this article from the LA Times re the Burbank 5, the books have been quarantined until further notice.

In essence, they have been effectively eliminated.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/books/story/2020-11-12/burbank-unified-challenges-books-including-to-kill-a-mockingbird

During a virtual meeting on Sept. 9, middle and high school English teachers in the Burbank Unified School District received a bit of surprising news: Until further notice, they would not be allowed to teach some of the books on their curriculum.

Five novels had been challenged in Burbank: Harper Lee’s “To Kill a Mockingbird,” Mark Twain’s “The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn,” John Steinbeck’s “Of Mice and Men,” Theodore Taylor’s “The Cay” and Mildred D. Taylor’s Newbery Medal-winning young-adult classic “Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry.”

I've read 3 of the 5, and it was a long time ago, IIRC Huck Finn and of Mice and Men were assigned reads in 7, 8 or 9th grade. To Kill a Mockingbird was in high school.

But whether they are the best teaching materials I supposed depends on what is being taught. We are led to believe that racism and prejudice might have been the lessons here. and the teachers thought they were effective teaching tools in discussing the issue. perhaps greater sensitivity can be employed and giving the kids some context and spoilers as to what they might find offensive.

But banning books that some find offensive is the real offense.

And as the LAT article details many teaching orgs were firmly and loudly against the books being in lock-down.

No doubt they are toothless geezers.

That some in the community are offended by certain words or themes presented in the books is unfortunate. But the remedy to racism should be trying to understand it, discuss it, expose it, or read about it to see how it affects us today. Pretending it doesn't exist and we should not talk about it as it might offend someone or a lot of someones seems counterproductive to the presumed goal.

I'm squarely in the free speech camp and think the recent movement to restrain offensive ideas on college campuses is dangerous and stupid and somrthing the left should not remotely embrace.

the woke generation, like some of us geezers,  should take a nap from time to time, as their brains could probably benefit from some sleep.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #59962 on: December 12, 2020, 05:32:00 PM »

Quite a peaceful day in DC

But I hear BLM and AntiFa factions have just arrived in the area as the sun goes down.

Sad.

“Destroy the GOP!”

https://www.newsweek.com/pro-trump-rally-chants-destroy-gop-boos-georgia-rinos-loeffler-perdue-1554354
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #59963 on: December 12, 2020, 05:45:55 PM »

And as the LAT article details many teaching orgs were firmly and loudly against the books being in lock-down.

That some in the community are offended by certain words or themes presented in the books is unfortunate. But the remedy to racism should be trying to understand it, discuss it, expose it, or read about it to see how it affects us today. Pretending it doesn't exist and we should not talk about it as it might offend someone or a lot of someones seems counterproductive to the presumed goal.

I'm squarely in the free speech camp and think the recent movement to restrain offensive ideas on college campuses is dangerous and stupid and somrthing the left should not remotely embrace.

the woke generation, like some of us geezers,  should take a nap from time to time, as their brains could probably benefit from some sleep.

By my reading, a teacher can suggest and reference any of those books in their lessons. They can’t require or base assessment on their reading. They can have the book or multiple copies of it on shelves and provide links to full text, recorded readings, etc. I expect copies of the books will still be available in school libraries. No one will be suspended for being caught with a copy in the lunch room.

A book’s place as literature is protected, its place as part of the cannon is based on entirely different grounds.

I made sure all my students were aware of Gravity’s Rainbow, Catch 22, Skinny Legs and All, Another Roadside Attraction, Lemmington vs. the Ants, and in my last go round, Between the World and Me. When any were interested in these titles or others, I endeavored to see that had means to absorb the work in either print or digital form. I never required a student read a word of any of them nor assigned a grade when they did.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 05:49:28 PM by facilitatorn »

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #59964 on: December 12, 2020, 05:46:35 PM »

Out of the totality of written literature are those the very best books to teach people about the times and places they are set in?

The voice is not eliminated. No longer required and eliminated are not the same thing.

Reading lists get updated and toothless geezers winge about it. This has always been and probably will always be the case.

While I'm not yet toothless, according to this article from the LA Times re the Burbank 5, the books have been quarantined until further notice.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/books/story/2020-11-12/burbank-unified-challenges-books-including-to-kill-a-mockingbird

During a virtual meeting on Sept. 9, middle and high school English teachers in the Burbank Unified School District received a bit of surprising news: Until further notice, they would not be allowed to teach some of the books on their curriculum.

Five novels had been challenged in Burbank: Harper Lee’s “To Kill a Mockingbird,” Mark Twain’s “The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn,” John Steinbeck’s “Of Mice and Men,” Theodore Taylor’s “The Cay” and Mildred D. Taylor’s Newbery Medal-winning young-adult classic “Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry.”

I've read 3 of the 5, and it was a long time ago, IIRC Huck Finn and of Mice and Men were assigned reads in 7, 8 or 9th grade. To Kill a Mockingbird was in high school.

But whether they are the best teaching materials I supposed depends on what is being taught. We are led to believe that racism and prejudice might have been the lessons here. and the teachers thought they were effective teaching tools in discussing the issue. perhaps greater sensitivity can be employed and giving the kids some context and spoilers as to what they might find offensive.

The problem is these books teach lessons as if racism is a relic of the past of the bulk of these times are written from a white perspective.

Usually being the one of the few blacks in “A track” I can attest to feeling targeted when in discussing these books in the classroom.

But hey... I have everyone of those books on the shelf... except for the Cay. I hated that book.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 05:49:10 PM by LarryBnDC »

Lyndon Johnson

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #59965 on: December 12, 2020, 06:08:27 PM »

The problem is these books teach lessons as if racism is a relic of the past of the bulk of these times are written from a white perspective.

Usually being the one of the few blacks in “A track” I can attest to feeling targeted when in discussing these books in the classroom.

But hey... I have everyone of those books on the shelf... except for the Cay. I hated that book.

Books are books.

The teachers teach.

And depending on the teacher's ability, a lesson can be instructiuve or garbage,

To ban the books seems counter-productive.

Perhaps as noted in my first post, greater sensitivity, context and spoilers can be used to de-fuse some of the uncomfortable issues.

And racism from a white perspective is a big part of the issue.

Maybe if the teacher can get a white kid or two, to see the harm in the book, the kid might apply it in real life and deal with people of color with a healthier perspective.

just a thought.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #59966 on: December 12, 2020, 07:29:36 PM »

Daily Telegraph;

Five Eyes partners mull joint sanctions as allies hit back at China trade coercion

The Five Eyes allies are quietly discussing a plan to retaliate against China’s aggressive new trade tariffs that have hit Australia hard.

Exclusive: The Five Eyes allies are quietly discussing a plan to fight back against China’s aggressive new trade tariffs by introducing joint retaliatory sanctions on Chinese goods and produce.

News Corp understands officials from some of the Five Eyes nations have been discussing how best to respond to China’s attempts to pressure Australia by harming some of our export markets, notably beef, wine and coal.

One option is that all five nations – Australia, the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada and New Zealand – respond with their own sanctions on Chinese goods and services.

A second option would be for Australia to respond with retaliatory tariffs on inbound products from China, and the four allied nations support the move by refusing to buy extra product from China if Beijing looked to make up its losses elsewhere.

Talks are at a preliminary stage, but the idea is gaining traction in Canberra, and is being seriously considered in Washington.

#####

Good.

Canada could stop selling coal / extra coal to China like it's allegedly doing now while ships laden with coal from Australia are bobbing up and down in the ocean off the coast of China having been banned from docking.
That'd be a start.

Canada is obviously digging up coal and selling it as fast as it can to anyone who'll buy it...exactly the same as "big, bad Australia" is.
Obviously the green dream hasn't reached Canada yet either.

So why are Britain and France attacking ScoMo over climate change and not attacking and banning TRUDEAU too?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 08:03:12 PM by bambu. »
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #59967 on: December 12, 2020, 08:00:42 PM »

http://thebulwark.com/how-three-counties-can-help-us-understand-trumps-shellacking/

I expect they’ll traipse around awhile in the toxic thrall of the putrefying albatross, their once and future pants shitter in chief.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #59968 on: December 12, 2020, 08:18:47 PM »

It’s taken forty years or more, but on the left and in the right the marchers in the streets all agree it’s time to destroy the GOP. They are all correct. It’s a fate the GOP richly deserves for their abdication, their corruption, and their constant insurrection. Tear it down to the ground. Give its resources to asylum seekers, refugees, and any other huddled masses that could use a leg up in these hard times.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #59969 on: December 12, 2020, 08:26:10 PM »

Watched a YouTube video yesterday from the.Jimmy Kimmel show.
They set up a map of the world in the street...complete with a pointer stick.
They asked people, all Americans, who confessed to being Republican supporters, to name one country on the map.
One.
The countries all the one colour, borders drawn, oceans/water a different colour.
All the people interviewed were aged about 35-60, all White people, the White men about 50-60.
One guy got Africa, to be told that was a continent, did he know any countries there. He said no.
None of them could name one country, not even US.
One guy said he knew Mexico...and pointed to India.
Another guy pointed to Australia as Africa.
The women had no clue either.

Given possible 'Hollywood' and 'leftists' bias, I was astounded that those people had gone thru the American school system, and lived for another
30-40 years, and still couldn't point out America and Mexico.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 08:46:37 PM by bambu. »
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.
Pages: 1 ... 3996 3997 [3998] 3999 4000 ... 4288