Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 4237 4238 [4239] 4240 4241 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1608224 times)

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #63570 on: January 18, 2021, 02:37:40 PM »

Happy Martin Luther King Day!

But remember when he was murdered April 4, 1968 he was one of the most reviled men in America.

Was he?

Yes.

http://baltimoretimes-online.com/news/2020/feb/07/martin-luther-king-they-love/

Usually an opinion piece such as this, with embedded unsourced "facts" isn't something I'd count as evidence. But, I do like the argument the writer makes. I think idealizing humans does reduce their true nature to one we assign, as oppose to one that is or was.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #63571 on: January 18, 2021, 02:41:17 PM »

Dr. Salomon Melgen, a prominent eye doctor from Palm Beach, Florida, who is in prison after being convicted on dozens of counts of health care fraud, is currently expected to be included in the clemency list, three sources familiar tell CNN.

Melgen, who is noteworthy for being the co-conspirator in a since-dismissed corruption case against Democratic New Jersey Sen. Bob Menendez, was sentenced to 17 years for health care fraud in 2018.
While his name surprised some Trump allies given the President's attitude toward Menendez, Melgen is seen as a wealthy and influential figure in south Florida.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63572 on: January 18, 2021, 02:59:45 PM »

Control of both houses of Congress is absolute political control.

You know nothing about the US government. 

Conservative Supreme Court.   Republican dominated state legislatures.  Internal party divisions over issues.   Constitutional checks on power.   Strong corporate pressures.   Etc.   Good Lord you're dumb.

Yes but when all things Republican / Conservative are totally cancelled, the things you listed will be no more.

It’s called perfecting our Union. The outcome you predict would be most welcome making for a much healthier culture for us yanks.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63573 on: January 18, 2021, 03:06:17 PM »

http://m.dailykos.com/stories/2021/1/18/2010122/-Not-a-single-person-shows-up-for-Million-Militia-March-and-state-capital-protests-fail-badly-too

“ Perhaps the most pathetic state-capital protest was in Trenton, New Jersey, where a single protester showed up with a sign that he eventually abandoned on a sidewalk.”
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #63574 on: January 18, 2021, 03:12:01 PM »

Recently iconic cheese brand COON cheese (the brand name is always in caps) changed it name after decade + lobbying...the name of the cheese somehow having become a racist slur.

"having become..."

The now-insulting U.S. meaning "black person" was in use by 1837, said to be from barracoon (by 1837), from Portuguese barraca "slave depot, pen or rough enclosure for black slaves in transit in West Africa, Brazil, Cuba." If so, no doubt this was boosted by the enormously popular blackface minstrel act Zip Coon (George Washington Dixon) which debuted in New York City in 1834. But it is perhaps older (one of the lead characters in the 1767 colonial comic opera "The Disappointment" is a black man named Raccoon).

With appreciation to etymonline.com, from whom that was taken.
Go woke, go broke.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #63575 on: January 18, 2021, 03:15:50 PM »

Our schools need to do a better job of training our people to find employment after they graduate from school. And we need to have better programs to get graduates into jobs.

In the old days the college students would get hired before they even graduated from school, there was such a demand for college graduates, they would graduate and then maybe they would backpack around Europe before going to work at a job that they had all lined up.

And college graduates need to be paid more money than people who did not attend college. A college degree needs to be of value. And for your supervisors, and managers, etc, it is worth it to pay a little more money to hire a college graduate. My father worked for the Los Angeles County Road Department when I was born, and they sent him to Pepperdine University to study to be a supervisor for them, they wanted their supervisors to attend college.

For the Business students, from Pepperdine in Malibu, etc, the Business students need to be given business loans after they graduate from Business school. The Business graduates are the ones who are creating the jobs, we need to make sure that they have access to business loans. Pepperdine can even have their own little operation giving business loans to their graduates, the Business students could go to an office on campus and apply for a loan to start a business after they graduate from college, and people can help the graduates to assure their success.

Also our Film schools, and Acting schools, need to be connected with the local Studios, etc, to better help the students to attain jobs after they graduate. And the people in the Entertainment Industry really enjoy their jobs, and the Casting Directors enjoy going to see plays to discover the stars of the future, etc, and the people in the Entertainment Industry love film festivals, etc. The Entertainment Industry is a fun industry, and we are lucky to have all of the major studios here in Hollywood. The students need to go straight from school into great jobs.

The Antelope Valley has the Aerospace and Defense Industries. The Space Shuttles were built in the Antelope Valley, and the AV built a lot of great top secret planes and satellites and stuff. Antelope Valley College needs to train the students for local jobs building airplanes and building spaceships, and making satellites, etc. The students need to go right from attending AVC to going to work building planes, or whatever.

Anaheim has Disney. The college students can graduate and go to work for Disney. Disney has a lot of minimum wage jobs, but Disney also has good high paying jobs, and the students can train for the good high paying jobs at Disney. Then the graduates can go right to work for Disney.

Our Medical students from UC Irvine and other Medical Universities are making medical breakthroughs and we have great research companies like AMGEN in Thousand Oaks, and we have Cedars Sinai in Beverly Hills, and we have many other great hospitals to create jobs for the Medical students and for the scientists. Some students end up as teachers at the universities where they studied. And as the Baby Boomers are older now, we need more doctors and nurses. So, there needs to be programs to make sure that the Medical graduates go right into a good job after they graduate.

Those are a few ideas, you get the point. New York needs to make sure that the college students go right to work at the New York Stock Exchange, and at the Bank of New York, and at Broadway, etc. College is worthwhile, and we need to make sure that people are rewarded for their hard work of attaining college degrees, etc.

Salute,

Tony V.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #63576 on: January 18, 2021, 03:24:03 PM »

Control of both houses of Congress is absolute political control.

You know nothing about the US government. 

Conservative Supreme Court.   Republican dominated state legislatures.  Internal party divisions over issues.   Constitutional checks on power.   Strong corporate pressures.   Etc.   Good Lord you're dumb.

Yes but when all things Republican / Conservative are totally cancelled, the things you listed will be no more.

It’s called perfecting our Union. The outcome you predict would be most welcome making for a much healthier culture for us yanks.

Yes, exactly my point.
Looks like it's meetings in barns at midnight, secret codes, not writing anything down time for Conservatives.
Pretending to be Leftist in public, but being Conservative in the ballot box.
Go woke, go broke.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #63577 on: January 18, 2021, 03:46:06 PM »

Our schools need to do a better job of training our people to find employment after they graduate from school. And we need to have better programs to get graduates into jobs.

In the old days the college students would get hired before they even graduated from school, there was such a demand for college graduates, they would graduate and then maybe they would backpack around Europe before going to work at a job that they had all lined up.

And college graduates need to be paid more money than people who did not attend college. A college degree needs to be of value. And for your supervisors, and managers, etc, it is worth it to pay a little more money to hire a college graduate. My father worked for the Los Angeles County Road Department when I was born, and they sent him to Pepperdine University to study to be a supervisor for them, they wanted their supervisors to attend college.

For the Business students, from Pepperdine in Malibu, etc, the Business students need to be given business loans after they graduate from Business school. The Business graduates are the ones who are creating the jobs, we need to make sure that they have access to business loans. Pepperdine can even have their own little operation giving business loans to their graduates, the Business students could go to an office on campus and apply for a loan to start a business after they graduate from college, and people can help the graduates to assure their success.

Also our Film schools, and Acting schools, need to be connected with the local Studios, etc, to better help the students to attain jobs after they graduate. And the people in the Entertainment Industry really enjoy their jobs, and the Casting Directors enjoy going to see plays to discover the stars of the future, etc, and the people in the Entertainment Industry love film festivals, etc. The Entertainment Industry is a fun industry, and we are lucky to have all of the major studios here in Hollywood. The students need to go straight from school into great jobs.

The Antelope Valley has the Aerospace and Defense Industries. The Space Shuttles were built in the Antelope Valley, and the AV built a lot of great top secret planes and satellites and stuff. Antelope Valley College needs to train the students for local jobs building airplanes and building spaceships, and making satellites, etc. The students need to go right from attending AVC to going to work building planes, or whatever.

Anaheim has Disney. The college students can graduate and go to work for Disney. Disney has a lot of minimum wage jobs, but Disney also has good high paying jobs, and the students can train for the good high paying jobs at Disney. Then the graduates can go right to work for Disney.

Our Medical students from UC Irvine and other Medical Universities are making medical breakthroughs and we have great research companies like AMGEN in Thousand Oaks, and we have Cedars Sinai in Beverly Hills, and we have many other great hospitals to create jobs for the Medical students and for the scientists. Some students end up as teachers at the universities where they studied. And as the Baby Boomers are older now, we need more doctors and nurses. So, there needs to be programs to make sure that the Medical graduates go right into a good job after they graduate.

Those are a few ideas, you get the point. New York needs to make sure that the college students go right to work at the New York Stock Exchange, and at the Bank of New York, and at Broadway, etc. College is worthwhile, and we need to make sure that people are rewarded for their hard work of attaining college degrees, etc.

Salute,

Tony V.

Some college graduates on YouTube say that the $100,000 they spend on a "useless ...... degree was a total waste of money".

When I left high school in bambuland...1964 only 20% of students attended university.

There was a separate "Business College" for the learning of typing, shorthand, secretarial work. [which mrs bambu attended when she arrived in the big city from the semi outback small town of a few hundred people.]

There was also TAFE [Technical And Further Education] where trade apprentices attended to learn building, carpentry etc.

The banks, insurance companies, public service, would take school-leavers and train them at their specific colleges, to their specific needs.
Banks..."tellers school"...where you were taught to shoot handguns, count money, process transactions, serve customers in a polite manner, foil crooks trying to cash stolen travellers cheques...stolen cheques, etc.

All changed today...at one stage you had to basically have a university degree to flip burgers...well not quite.
Now it seems that if you can do basic things and actually attend every day, are well mannered, well groomed, you can get a job ...if you're not a male over 40 that is.
Gender and age discrimination are seemingly rife.

Then came Covid...now it's all just one big mess....apparently a great number of jobs nobody is wanting.
Go woke, go broke.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #63578 on: January 18, 2021, 03:58:39 PM »

Waiting patiently for Trump's tax returns.....

His health care plan is just around the corner....

Hey is this Infrastructure Week?
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #63579 on: January 18, 2021, 04:19:06 PM »

Farewell Elba....

Best wishes for your journey
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #63580 on: January 18, 2021, 04:22:20 PM »

Turn off the television. Go outside.

The virus is outside.
Now they're flying tennis players etc in from all over the world for the Australian Open.
Why, in the middle of a global pandemic?  'Money" no 1 morning radio host says.
Gee, what could possibly go wrong.
Many players are now locked up in hard quarantine for 14 days...positive tests of people on their chartered planes.
Players are shown on my tv news hitting balls against the hotel room walls.
The joker is not happy and has given the tennis body a list of 'demands'...all of which have been politely declined.

There are still covid hotspot clusters in Sydney etc.
Go woke, go broke.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #63581 on: January 18, 2021, 04:26:27 PM »

But remember when he was murdered April 4, 1968 he was one of the most reviled men in America.

Was he?

Yes.

Usually an opinion piece such as this, with embedded unsourced "facts" isn't something I'd count as evidence. But, I do like the argument the writer makes. I think idealizing humans does reduce their true nature to one we assign, as oppose to one that is or was.

"Please don’t act like everyone loved my father. He was assassinated. A 1967 poll reflected that he was one of the most hated men in America. Most hated. Many who quote him now and evoke him to deter justice today would likely hate, and may already hate, the authentic King." #MLK

Berniece King
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #63582 on: January 18, 2021, 04:28:15 PM »

"You can't go anywhere in America without seeing lots of people" - mrs bambu

Yes, why the pandemic is so bad.
Go woke, go broke.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63583 on: January 18, 2021, 04:42:37 PM »

"You can't go anywhere in America without seeing lots of people" - mrs bambu

Yes, why the pandemic is so bad.

Here I am, looking out my window.

Nope, nobody visible to the east.
Nope, nobody visible to the south.
I can see where there are a couple houses to the north, but can't see anybody.
And there's a house to the west and sometimes I can see somebody there.

Mrs. Bambu only chose to go to places with lots of people.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63584 on: January 18, 2021, 04:51:25 PM »

Was he?

Yes.

"Please don’t act like everyone loved my father. He was assassinated. A 1967 poll reflected that he was one of the most hated men in America. Most hated. Many who quote him now and evoke him to deter justice today would likely hate, and may already hate, the authentic King." #MLK

Berniece King

I forgot. Larry doesn't do nuance.

So...who has argued here that MLK was not vilified and loathed by many?

If you make a statement, Larry, you should back it with facts. Barton did that for you with his post. You? Not so much.

But again, the point that was made in the Baltimore link you provided was a good one. Too often we idealize humans, and with great risk of poisoning the well from which wish to drink.

I do think for most Americans today is seen as a "black holiday".

Sad to say, but likely true for most Americans.

Even so, King's legacy plays out in different ways----just ask Kamala Harris on Wednesday. Or the new black Senator from Georgia.

Then again, don't ask the ADL, who is keenly aware of the actions and words and plans of Ya'll Quaeda. They aren't feeling the love from Americans today anymore than MLK did then.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.
Pages: 1 ... 4237 4238 [4239] 4240 4241 ... 4288