Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 429 430 [431] 432 433 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1604227 times)

Yankguy1

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #6450 on: November 21, 2018, 03:07:32 PM »

You can relax, Luee. We're not being invaded after all.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

kiiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #6451 on: November 21, 2018, 03:08:57 PM »

Minority Women helped DeSantis win Florida Goverhorship

According to exit polls from CNN about 117, 000 of the 650,000 black women voted for GOP Candiate for Florida Governor Ron DeSantis. The reason?
School Choice.
Florida’s Step Up For Students program grants tax-credit scholarships to attend private schools.
( most Step Up students are minorities) Also there are about 650 Charter Schools in the State.
DeSantis is a strong supporter of school choice while the democrat candiate Ron Gillum is not.
If black women had voted republican at the rate of black men(9%) DeSantis would have lost about 60,000 votes. Also encouraging for the Florida GOP are the exit polls for Latinos where 44% cast ballots for DeSantis on the issue of school choice.

Condoleezza Rice has called the issue of School Choice “ the civil rights issue of our time”.
Maybe it is time for the democrats to get on board.

Beautiful.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #6452 on: November 21, 2018, 03:12:46 PM »

According to exit polls from CNN about 117, 000 of the 650,000 black women voted for GOP Candiate for Florida Governor Ron DeSantis. The reason?
School Choice.
Florida’s Step Up For Students program grants tax-credit scholarships to attend private schools.
( most Step Up students are minorities) Also there are about 650 Charter Schools in the State.
DeSantis is a strong supporter of school choice while the democrat candiate Ron Gillum is not.
If black women had voted republican at the rate of black men(9%) DeSantis would have lost about 60,000 votes. Also encouraging for the Florida GOP are the exit polls for Latinos where 44% cast ballots for DeSantis on the issue of school choice.

Condoleezza Rice has called the issue of School Choice “ the civil rights issue of our time”.

Link to the Wall Street Journal column you are quoting, please.

Thanks.

https://www.cnn.com/election/2018/exit-polls/florida

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6453 on: November 21, 2018, 03:20:07 PM »

Does it strike any of the Trump apologists in here strange #45 isn’t mad at the guys who killed Kashoggi but is pissed with the guys who killed Osma bin Laden?
For me, I long for the day when this sort of thing is shocking again.

It will only be a couple of months till the ladies and gentlemen of the House neuter the sick beast eating the executive.

This kind of thing is only shocking when we perceive the President to be a good person who holds American values and takes his or her job seriously. None of these things are remotely true about trump.

As Kiid and Red have warned us repeatedly about the dangers posed to their way of life by a educated populace, it’s no surprise they have trained their guns on the engine that won us the Cold War and catapulted us toor moment of global dominance, the American public school.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #6454 on: November 21, 2018, 03:23:36 PM »

School Choice.

Thanks.

You are quoting from a column in the WSJ.  It would be helpful to your fellow posters if you include a link next time. 
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

oilcan

« Reply #6455 on: November 21, 2018, 03:32:18 PM »

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #6456 on: November 21, 2018, 03:47:10 PM »

School Choice.

Thanks.

You are quoting from a column in the WSJ.  It would be helpful to your fellow posters if you include a link next time.
I see you can’t dispute the numbers.
Here is a article from the National Review on the issue of School Choice.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/11/school-choice-strong-voter-support-for-expansion

Sooner or later democrats are going to have to come up with a better strategy. Ron Gillum ran strongly but in an election where the democrat strongholds underperformed and GOP areas had record turnouts Gillum’s opposition to school choice turned off a lot of black women. They were two times more likely to vote GOP than black men.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #6457 on: November 21, 2018, 03:51:52 PM »

A piece from October I missed at the time:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/i-like-them-very-much-trump-has-long-standing-business-ties-with-saudis-who-have-boosted-his-hotels-since-he-took-office/2018/10/11/0870df24-cd67-11e8-a360-85875bac0b1f_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.1e48d0dc1b14

Essentially, Saudi Arabia is openly bribing our President by shuttling money to him through his hotels.

All this only gives credibility to the Russia questions.  The behavior is exactly the same.  Defending the perpetrator of an attack on the US or its values, defying his own intelligence communities assessments of who is at fault, and an ugly and angry deference to a murderous oligarch. 

In this case, we essentially know Trump is in the pocket of the Saudis.  So what does this say about his relationship to Putin/Russia?

Nothing good.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #6458 on: November 21, 2018, 03:59:06 PM »

I'm not trying to dispute the numbers.  The intention of my post was simply stated.  And your instinct to hide your sourcing (or pass off the analysis as your own) is odd.

On the point, yes, school choice is a major issue for minorities when far too many public schools remain effectively segregated.  I personally support Charter Schools (though not vouchers) for this reason, and don't agree with the instinctual response of some progressives to oppose them.

I suspect its because they know (and are 100% correct in this) that Republicans' interest in "school choice" has next to nothing to do with a desire to better the education of minority children.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 04:01:21 PM by NeedsAdjustments »

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #6459 on: November 21, 2018, 04:12:35 PM »

I'm not trying to dispute the numbers.  The intention of my post was simply stated.  And your instinct to hide your sourcing (or pass off the analysis as your own) is odd.

On the point, yes, school choice is a major issue for minorities when far too many public schools remain effectively segregated.  I personally support Charter Schools (though not vouchers) for this reason, and don't agree with the instinctual response of some progressives to oppose them.

I suspect its because they know (and are 100% correct in this) that Republicans' interest in "school choice" has next to nothing to do with a desire to better the education of minority children.
Really? What is the “ interest” then?

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #6460 on: November 21, 2018, 04:15:57 PM »

Republicans want to monetize “public”education...
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #6461 on: November 21, 2018, 04:23:32 PM »

LarryBnDCusetabKnicks12 covered it well enough for your purposes.

You naturally want to find a silver lining in one particular 2018 race that the WSJ pointed out to you, but you may get a better overview of the changing politics of education by reading up on how the "teacher's spring" fueled the blue wave. 

If I come across a piece with info that you would be capable of absorbing, I will be sure to include a link to it.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #6462 on: November 21, 2018, 04:25:01 PM »

This. Fucking. Guy.

Mr. Chief Justice Roberts do you ever stop and reconsider Citizens United and Shelby? That’s how we got here.

https://mobile.twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1065346909362143232?s=21
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #6463 on: November 21, 2018, 04:29:06 PM »

Republicans want to monetize “public”education...

They want to defund public education.  REDSTATEWARD gets it.  His feigned ignorance as transparent as his refusal to post a WSJ link.

Republicans want to cut taxes for the wealthy.  To do that they need to cut services.  When those services are for the poor, they get to escape the political consequences.  When those services are the education of middle class children, they have to be more circumspect in how they do it.

People are catching on.  Ask Scott Walker.

Driver125

• View Profile
« Reply #6464 on: November 21, 2018, 04:39:28 PM »

Every time he swallows another load of "bubblin' crude," he erodes our standing as a humane and civilized nation. 
Donald Trump does not truly believe in any of that stuff. He’s as close to an empty human being as you will find. All that stuff that we grew up with about how we are the ‘good guys’—and how this country was built upon certain principals is nothing but fluff to Donald Trump. He is completely transactional. The only things that matter to Trump is who wins and who loses. Who ends up with the biggest pile of money. Who has the most power. It’s the reason that he is almost completely unable to empathize with real human beings in situations like the California fires or the hurricane in Puerto Rico. He can hardly even pretend to do so.
Pages: 1 ... 429 430 [431] 432 433 ... 4288