Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 476 477 [478] 479 480 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1580281 times)

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #7155 on: December 12, 2018, 09:08:08 AM »

It's cute that Bambu thinks that Trump actually gives a damn about the wall being built.
Well, Pelosi thinks he wants the wall for roughly the same reason older men buy sports cars.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

barton

« Reply #7156 on: December 12, 2018, 09:52:43 AM »

Our wall will be the largest and hardest wall ever erected.   

Then athletic young men will climb up and down it,  all day.   Mmm.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #7158 on: December 12, 2018, 10:02:05 AM »

It's cute that Bambu thinks that Trump actually gives a damn about the wall being built.

He has spent his adult life building (shit) things and putting his name on them.  That, and the fact that I think the xenophobic impulses behind the wall are coming from a real place within him, make me think that it may be one of the few policy items he actually cares about.

Simple question remains; if your proposal is the right thing to do, then why do you need to lie to justify it?

https://www.mediaite.com/online/trumps-dhs-cant-back-up-his-lie-about-catching-10-terrorists-at-border/
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

barton

« Reply #7159 on: December 12, 2018, 10:08:51 AM »

Jared and Ivanka make big money from Opportunity Zone program they pushed...

https://apnews.com/37b731bd1cc443fa953b112b7afe879a

While the Opportunity Zone program mostly targets census tracts of high poverty and unemployment, it also allows “contiguous” tracts that might not be low-income, but are close enough to deprived communities to be eligible.

Critics say that could allow developers to cash in by targeting zones already teeming with investment and gentrified neighborhoods. Amazon’s recent decision to locate a new headquarters in the bustling New York City neighborhood of Long Island City, for example, drew rebukes following reports it was in an Opportunity Zone.

A study by the Urban Institute in Washington found that nearly a third of the more than 8,700 Opportunity Zones nationwide — and all 13 of the ones containing Kushner properties — were showing signs of heavy investment and gentrification, based on such factors as rent increases and the percentage of college-educated residents....     

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #7160 on: December 12, 2018, 10:52:09 AM »

While the Opportunity Zone program mostly targets census tracts of high poverty and unemployment, it also allows “contiguous” tracts that might not be low-income, but are close enough to deprived communities to be eligible.

Critics say that could allow developers to cash in by targeting zones already teeming with investment and gentrified neighborhoods. Amazon’s recent decision to locate a new headquarters in the bustling New York City neighborhood of Long Island City, for example, drew rebukes following reports it was in an Opportunity Zone.

A study by the Urban Institute in Washington found that nearly a third of the more than 8,700 Opportunity Zones nationwide — and all 13 of the ones containing Kushner properties — were showing signs of heavy investment and gentrification, based on such factors as rent increases and the percentage of college-educated residents....     

I'm not a genius, but it seems when people are willing to invest in a certain area of a city that this benefits that area in ways that create more economic opportunity. That said, however, the economic opportunities can only be seized by those who have the education and means to do so. I don't see "gentrification" as a bad thing, but rather it so often a word that is used to keep neighborhoods entrenched in a failure to thrive mode, or kept from transitioning to improved economic activity.

In Philadelphia, there have been numerous neighborhoods that have turned around and now benefit from the shops, restaurants, bars, and other opportunities that emerged through gentrification. Areas like Fishtown, Northern Liberties, and of late, Brewerytown, have turned from impoverished regions of no hope to places where people wish to live and work.

That people are displaced by such changes is a force that has always existed in the USA.

Always.

And if the cities are attracting a more educated populace, then the value of the properties in the area will naturally increase. The potential for a long term benefits to a given city is greater.

No one wanted to live in Jersey City or Hoboken in the 1970's. That's not the case, now. Is that really such a terrible thing?

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #7161 on: December 12, 2018, 11:31:18 AM »

I'm not a genius, but it seems when people are willing to invest in a certain area of a city that this benefits that area in ways that create more economic opportunity. That said, however, the economic opportunities can only be seized by those who have the education and means to do so. I don't see "gentrification" as a bad thing, but rather it so often a word that is used to keep neighborhoods entrenched in a failure to thrive mode, or kept from transitioning to improved economic activity.

In Philadelphia, there have been numerous neighborhoods that have turned around and now benefit from the shops, restaurants, bars, and other opportunities that emerged through gentrification. Areas like Fishtown, Northern Liberties, and of late, Brewerytown, have turned from impoverished regions of no hope to places where people wish to live and work.

That people are displaced by such changes is a force that has always existed in the USA.

Always.

And if the cities are attracting a more educated populace, then the value of the properties in the area will naturally increase. The potential for a long term benefits to a given city is greater.

No one wanted to live in Jersey City or Hoboken in the 1970's. That's not the case, now. Is that really such a terrible thing?

Opportunity Zones are a tax based incentive program to develop projects in low-income areas that otherwise would not be profitable for them.

So providing tax incentives in places where a development would already be profitable and a project would happen anyway is taking taxpayer money and adding it to developer profits with the public enjoying no discernible benefit in increased economic activity.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #7162 on: December 12, 2018, 12:10:03 PM »

36 months for Cohen...

Pussy payoffs are the least of Trump’s problems... #RUSSIA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj1FifK3bbg
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 12:17:44 PM by LarryBnDC usetab Knicks12 »
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Driver125

• View Profile
« Reply #7163 on: December 12, 2018, 12:31:23 PM »

Sarah Huckabee Sanders Wants To Be Remembered For Being ‘Transparent And Honest’
My God.....she's as delusional as her boss.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #7164 on: December 12, 2018, 02:15:24 PM »

With all of his law-and-order talk, I think Trump doesn't understand the concept of laws and how law enforcement officials should enforce them.  It isn't only that he feels he should be immune, but that the relationship should be political/transactional:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/12/politics/huawei-executive-donald-trump/index.html

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #7165 on: December 12, 2018, 02:39:39 PM »

Always.

Opportunity Zones are a tax based incentive program to develop projects in low-income areas that otherwise would not be profitable for them.

So providing tax incentives in places where a development would already be profitable and a project would happen anyway is taking taxpayer money and adding it to developer profits with the public enjoying no discernible benefit in increased economic activity.

So,  you are NOT pro-growth in a community, unless it is a low-income area?

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #7166 on: December 12, 2018, 02:47:25 PM »

My response to your post was a statement of facts, not my opinion.  The tax incentives in question are not meant to target neighborhoods where no incentive for development is required. 

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #7167 on: December 12, 2018, 02:53:12 PM »

My response to your post was a statement of facts, not my opinion.  The tax incentives in question are not meant to target neighborhoods where no incentive for development is required.

That's not answering my question. My post was about using "gentrification" to argue putting limits on growth in a neighborhood.

I'll rephrase. Are you pro-growth, and for pro-growth incentives in a community, only if it is a low-income area?

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #7168 on: December 12, 2018, 03:00:44 PM »

That's not answering my question. My post was about using "gentrification" to argue putting limits on growth in a neighborhood.

That was what your post was about, yes.  Which is why I responded with the facts that should make it clear that this isn't germane to a discussion re: the Opportunity Zones tax incentives.

In part but not only because applying those incentives in areas where they were intended would speed up gentrification in those neighborhoods, not limit it.

And I did not answer your question because it similarly had zero relationship to anything I wrote.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #7169 on: December 12, 2018, 03:06:50 PM »

That was what your post was about, yes.  Which is why I responded with the facts that should make it clear that this isn't germane to a discussion re: the Opportunity Zones tax incentives.

In part but not only because applying those incentives in areas where they were intended would speed up gentrification in those neighborhoods, not limit it.

I see.

You oppose funding economic development, unless it's in the right neighborhood.

Still, it's good to know that gentrification doesn't harm a neighborhood, as many tend to believe. And since you like "facts".

...a study from NYU’s Furman Center suggests that residents of public housing in wealthier and gentrifying neighborhoods make more money, live with less violence, and have better educational options for their children, despite also facing some challenges. Second, a study from the Philadelphia Federal Reserve Bank finds that there has been much less displacement of existing residents from gentrifying neighborhoods than is commonly feared—and that those who do leave aren’t necessarily more likely to move to lower-income neighborhoods. And finally, a Columbia University study on gentrification in London also failed to find evidence of widespread departures in neighborhoods with rising average incomes.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2015/10/in-defense-of-gentrification/413425/
Pages: 1 ... 476 477 [478] 479 480 ... 4288