Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 477 478 [479] 480 481 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1580306 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #7171 on: December 12, 2018, 03:11:22 PM »

That's not answering my question. My post was about using "gentrification" to argue putting limits on growth in a neighborhood.

That was what your post was about, yes.  Which is why I responded with the facts that should make it clear that this isn't germane to a discussion re: the Opportunity Zones tax incentives.

In part but not only because applying those incentives in areas where they were intended would speed up gentrification in those neighborhoods, not limit it.

I see.

You oppose funding economic development, unless it's in the right neighborhood.

I am pointing out, apparently to someone to obtuse to understand, that the tax incentive in question exists in order to fund economic development in neighborhoods where that economic development would not otherwise happen.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

Yankguy1

• View Profile
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7173 on: December 12, 2018, 03:41:36 PM »

That's not answering my question. My post was about using "gentrification" to argue putting limits on growth in a neighborhood.

That was what your post was about, yes.  Which is why I responded with the facts that should make it clear that this isn't germane to a discussion re: the Opportunity Zones tax incentives.

In part but not only because applying those incentives in areas where they were intended would speed up gentrification in those neighborhoods, not limit it.

I see.

You oppose funding economic development, unless it's in the right neighborhood.

I am pointing out, apparently to someone to obtuse to understand, that the tax incentive in question exists in order to fund economic development in neighborhoods where that economic development would not otherwise happen.

Clearly, you have a dizzying intellect, and would like to move away from your own point of view.

As clearly, you've shown that you are opposed to economic development, unless it's in the right neighborhood.

I think you are trying to have your lunch and eat it, too.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7175 on: December 12, 2018, 04:01:12 PM »

Michael Cohen tweeted on 12/19/15, almost exactly 3 years ago: "@HillaryClinton when you go to prison for defrauding America and perjury, your room and board will be free!"

Heh
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

bambu-wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #7177 on: December 12, 2018, 04:13:41 PM »

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/science/the-arctic-is-experiencing-its-most-unprecedented-transition-in-history-heres-why
My number 1 radio host disagrees.

My no1 radio host;

https://www.2gb.com/show/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/

Australia’s most popular talkback presenter, Alan Jones is a phenomenon. He’s described by many as the nation’s greatest orator and motivational speaker. Alan has the mind and capacity to make complex issues understandable to the largest Breakfast audience in Australia.

#####

Gotta love Alan.

bambu-wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #7178 on: December 12, 2018, 04:21:28 PM »

From Alan's radio station page;

https://www.2gb.com/controversial-sex-therapist-takes-aim-at-male-bashing-feminists-with-mentoo/

Controversial sex therapist takes aim at ‘male bashing’ feminists with #MenToo

You’ve heard of the #MeToo movement, now a controversial gender commentator is spruiking #MenToo.

Former clinical psychologist-turned-social commentator, Bettina Arndt, is taking aim at militant feminists who are destroying innocent men.
Bettina argues we live in a male-bashing society these days and says it’s time for it to stop.

The author tells Chris Smith [doing the show while Alan is on holidays] her new book #MenToo is a direct shot at those feminists.
“It’s really designed to get up their nose.

“I’m just fed up with the feminists controlling the public discourse around important issues to do with men and women.”

#####

And so are bambu-ilk.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 04:28:15 PM by bambu-wisdom »

bambu-wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #7179 on: December 12, 2018, 04:26:58 PM »

Ethnic cleansing...

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2018/12/donald-trump-deport-vietnam-war-refugees/577993/

Bad idea, Mr Trump...it will not make you popular, but most of all it's just not fair...and a fair President you really should be aiming to be.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7180 on: December 12, 2018, 04:31:07 PM »

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/science/the-arctic-is-experiencing-its-most-unprecedented-transition-in-history-heres-why

My no1 radio host;

Australia’s most popular talkback presenter, Alan Jones is a phenomenon. He’s described by many as the nation’s greatest orator and motivational speaker. Alan has the mind and capacity to make complex issues understandable to the largest Breakfast audience in Australia.

#####

Gotta love Alan.

"Jones is a supporter of the Galileo Movement, a climate change denial group which argues that climate change is a hoax perpetrated to form a world government."

Yeah, that tells me more than I needed to know about this former national rugby team head coach.

You can believe him from now until Sydney is flooded, Bambi, but I will tell you it is like believing Trump when he tells you that Kim Jong Un is denuking or that nobody knows who killed the reporter or that he had the biggest crowd at his inauguratiion.

kiiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #7181 on: December 12, 2018, 04:33:04 PM »

With all of his law-and-order talk, I think Trump doesn't understand the concept of laws and how law enforcement officials should enforce them.  It isn't only that he feels he should be immune, but that the relationship should be political/transactional:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/12/politics/huawei-executive-donald-trump/index.html

Well.....lets watch it play out.

We all know you are concerned that Trump not be successful.  We will tie that in if its ok by you.

bambu-wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #7182 on: December 12, 2018, 04:37:26 PM »

It's cute that Bambu thinks that Trump actually gives a damn about the wall being built.
Well, Pelosi thinks he wants the wall for roughly the same reason older men buy sports cars.

Never start a sentence with "Pelosi thinks". 
She's not a man/older man, but seems to be an 'open borders' and 'sanctuary cities' woman.

Older men buy nice sports cars … because when they were younger they could not afford to buy them.
Or had to surrender them to buy the family a station wagon to fit all the kids, diaper bags and prams etc into.

bambu-wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #7183 on: December 12, 2018, 04:53:58 PM »

My no1 radio host;

#####

Gotta love Alan.

"Jones is a supporter of the Galileo Movement, a climate change denial group which argues that climate change is a hoax perpetrated to form a world government."

Yeah, that tells me more than I needed to know about this former national rugby team head coach.

You can believe him from now until Sydney is flooded, Bambi, but I will tell you it is like believing Trump when he tells you that Kim Jong Un is denuking or that nobody knows who killed the reporter or that he had the biggest crowd at his inauguratiion.

Best national rugby [Wallabies] coach we've ever had.
His analytical brain, great mind, and people skills made the Wallabies virtually unbeatable.
Been all downhill since he retired from coaching.
He tells the rugby bosses on air what should be happening with the game, and how the team should be selected, prepared, and coached, but they just don't listen...and keep failing.
Oh well, you can lead a horse to water...………

Alan believes in climate change   ["the climate is always changing" says he. 
He's just not believing all the scaremongering from the ['man-made' climate change] brigade that Sydney's going to be flooded 'next week'.
Pages: 1 ... 477 478 [479] 480 481 ... 4288