Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1342 1343 [1344] 1345 1346 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1593225 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #20145 on: September 11, 2019, 02:10:07 PM »

There is still time to scrap Brexit entirely and simply remain.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #20146 on: September 11, 2019, 02:26:24 PM »

...(a) problem doesn't have to terminate our species in order to be taken seriously as a threat.

But of course it helps the democrat cause to say otherwise. As Bernie and Warren continuously do.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #20147 on: September 11, 2019, 02:34:21 PM »

Red's a plagiarist.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20148 on: September 11, 2019, 02:35:07 PM »

...(a) problem doesn't have to terminate our species in order to be taken seriously as a threat.

But of course it helps the democrat cause to say otherwise. As Bernie and Warren continuously do.
Those of us who remember criticism from the right over Obama saying ISIS was not an existential threat find your current line of.argument remarkable in its mendacity.
There was not a needy person among them, for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the proceeds of what was sold and laid it at the apostles' feet, and distribution was made to each as any had need.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20149 on: September 11, 2019, 02:37:48 PM »

All your “economic development” plans make the environmental problems geometrically worse so while chugging along as we have may only kill most people, going the way you and your party and the constellation of despicable kleptocrats around the world are pushing things will kill damn near everything. You and your gas boner makes this and existential crisis. 
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #20150 on: September 11, 2019, 03:01:45 PM »

Those of us who remember criticism from the right over Obama saying ISIS was not an existential threat find your current line of.argument remarkable in its mendacity.
Thanks for proving my point. Hyperbole to achieve a political goal is idiotic.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20151 on: September 11, 2019, 03:16:34 PM »

Your absence of self awareness is jaw dropping.
There was not a needy person among them, for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the proceeds of what was sold and laid it at the apostles' feet, and distribution was made to each as any had need.

barton

« Reply #20152 on: September 11, 2019, 03:40:13 PM »

Also not sure a catastrophe has to kill everyone to be an existential threat.   That's an overly literal reading whose sole purpose is to score point as an ideologue.  A widespread famine could end the existence of a nation and many of its citizens. 

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #20153 on: September 11, 2019, 04:13:36 PM »

Your absence of self awareness is jaw dropping.
LOL

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #20154 on: September 11, 2019, 04:41:50 PM »

Excellent point.  Members of the GOP routinely described ISIS as an "existential threat."  When Obama stated it wasn't, he was criticized for it.

Now we get the usual from he National Review and company via REDSTATEWARD, a ridiculous focus on minutia in order to distract from a simple point:

You don't think the problem will terminate the species but you do think it should be taken seriously.  So...how is the GOP taking the threat seriously? 

What, in the experience of the US attitudes toward climate change, supports the idea that this problem "doesn't have to terminate our species in order to be taken seriously?"  From where I sit, nothing.  But maybe REDSTATEWARD can come up with some examples.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #20155 on: September 11, 2019, 04:52:20 PM »

I've seen the term "existential threat" used quite a bit to meet political goals.  Republicans, as I said, called ISIS an existentail threat.  GOP lawmakers have called Immigration an "existential threat."  Justin Amash called our two party system an "existential threat" while "Never Trumpers" called Trump an "existential threat" to the GOP.

I would say all of the above qualifies as hyperbole. 

You can disagree that global climate change is an "existential threat."  But those calling it that have science to back them up.  And those who argue against that characterization are assuming we human beings will make some changes to how we live to address it or deal with its effects, meaning the status quo is life-threatening to at least some of us.

So no, not hyperbole.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #20156 on: September 11, 2019, 05:15:41 PM »

Excellent point.  Members of the GOP routinely described ISIS as an "existential threat."  When Obama stated it wasn't, he was criticized for it.
And he was right. Idiots that don’t understand the term and its  meaning can be found in every political persuasion. I must say you are doing a fine job of leading that parade.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 05:30:04 PM by REDSTATEWARD »

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #20157 on: September 11, 2019, 05:35:51 PM »

Jim's,  the plagiarist, received wisdom is that in the long run it doesn't matter to him
because in the long run he won't be around and it won't be his problem or any of his concern.

Not an enlightened position to take, but one that many like Jim firmly hold  to be the only reasonable position to take.

Hence, Jim laughs out loud about everything.

The same perspective of the Wall Street pirates who knew they were crashing the economy:

“IBG/YBG”
I’ll be gone, you’ll be gone so who cares?
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #20158 on: September 11, 2019, 05:37:09 PM »

And he was right. Idiots that don’t understand the term and its  meaning can be found in every political persuasion. I must say you are doing a fine job of leading that parade.

I'm very sure you were arguing out in front that Obama was right at the time.

That the term has been used elsewhere as hyperbole is not proof that it is so when describing global climate change.

If you have an argument that it is so, make it.

And while you are at it, please address my other point; what proof is there that the GOP is taking the threat posed by Global Climate Change seriously.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #20159 on: September 11, 2019, 06:23:37 PM »

I'm very sure you were arguing out in front that Obama was right at the time.

That the term has been used elsewhere as hyperbole is not proof that it is so when describing global climate change.

If you have an argument that it is so, make it.
I already have. If you don’t understand that climate change does NOT threaten our existence I can’t make it any clearer than that.
And while you are at it, please address my other point; what proof is there that the GOP is taking the threat posed by Global Climate Change seriously.
By  continuing  to focus on growing the economy. Climate Change poses challenges that will cost money to adapt to.
Pages: 1 ... 1342 1343 [1344] 1345 1346 ... 4288