Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1349 1350 [1351] 1352 1353 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1584690 times)

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #20250 on: September 13, 2019, 06:18:59 PM »

It's the Washington Examiner, a RW propaganda outlet.  Famous for unsupported claims like the anonymous border rancher who found prayer rugs.  Owned by Christian conservative billionaire Phil Anschutz.   Trump laps this junk journalism up.

Lines like "The leading indicator of gun sales jumped in August, driven in part by Americans seeking self-protection and deep concerns congressional Democrats are going to push through expanded gun control legislation..." are speculation, and no factual basis is offered beyond quotes that are all from gun sellers.   It's a slanted report which is thinly disguised as straight news.
What facts are wrong? Are you seriously arguing that mass shootings do NOT result in increased gun sales? https://law.stanford.edu/press/gun-sales-us-spike-mass-shootings/
Do you seriously think political promises to ban or buy back guns don’t cause gun sales to immediately increase?

It's the slant in phrases like "fears of a liberal gun grab " or "deep concerns Congressional Democrats are going to push through..."  It's the selection of facts and phrases.   I wasn't saying gun sales didn't spike.   But the phrasing is biased, and no research is cited to show what specific reasons gun purchasers are giving (if any).   From the facts presented we have no way of knowing whether the average new buyer is more concerned about immigrant boogeymen or Democrats who are imagined as taking away guns from legitimate owners.   The article makes assumptions not warranted.
The “article” made no assumptions. It referenced observations by those whose professions areselling or marketing guns.  You don’t like those observations? Fine. Then read only the Washington Post who just ignores the story altogether.

I sure hope you don't teach anymore.

Assumptions are embedded in choice of topic, in choice of interview subjects, in phraseology, in specific publications.

And you mean the way you persitently ignore the corruption of the current administration and their treatment of the children? Their violation of law? Their security breaches? Or the racism and corruption of the current GOP, in general and specifically in North Carolina?

No, WaPo is not nearly as good at ignoring entire stories as you are.
LOL!

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #20251 on: September 13, 2019, 10:00:45 PM »

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #20253 on: September 13, 2019, 10:58:46 PM »

A bad debate for the Marxists.

Bernie Sanders again extolled the virtues of life in Canada and Scandinavia  but omitted some interesting details.
Sanders hates the Trump cuts in business tax rates, but the Canadians and Scandinavians have gone even further.  The combined state and federal corporate income tax rate in the United States is still higher than the rates in Canada, Denmark, Norway and Sweden. Hmmm

The Heritage Foundation’s Index of Economic Freedom ranks Canada as the eighth freest economy in the world—with more economic liberty than the United States, which ranks twelfth.

The Scandinavian countries are all in the top 30.

Swedish historian Johan Norberg explainshow a decades-long movement toward economic freedom has revived Swedish prosperity:
“One thing the left gets wrong is that they think that Sweden has this sort of warm, friendly, fuzzy capitalist thing—no layoffs, no fierce competition, protecting the old companies and so on. And it’s really the total opposite. It’s more deregulated. The product markets are much fiercer competition, much more free trade. All of the companies know that they have to be world champions or they will be destroyed.
We have much higher taxes on the poor and the middle classes than you do, And this is the dirty little secret that no one in the American left wants to talk about. Nonprogressive taxes on consumption, social security and payroll are 27% of Swedish gross domestic product, 16 points higher than in the U.S.

As for Medicare for All the debate underscored  the problems Sanders and Elizabeth Warren have in explaining the costs of their plans  Joe Biden and Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota effectively pointed out the staggering costs and abolition of current health plans that would result.
Warren had nothing but dodges to the question even when confronted by Biden on how she would finance her scheme. She lamely dodged muttering promises to punish the rich while reducing costs for the middle class. But as Biden pointed out, even if her wealth tax could raise the nearly $3 trillion she promises over a decade, that would still leave her close to $30 trillion short.

Sanders did not hide the fact the middle class and the poor are going to have to pay more taxes.
But both he and Warren can’t explain why 150 million Americans who would lose their current coverage would gladly vote to lose private insurance to a government agency.

A bad night for the Marxists.
Well deserved.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 11:08:55 PM by REDSTATEWARD »

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #20254 on: September 13, 2019, 11:02:01 PM »

Citation?
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20255 on: September 13, 2019, 11:57:21 PM »

It shows Red doesn’t support capitalism or even low taxes. He only loves cronyism, incompetence, and open corruption, the three tent poles of the republican party.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

barton

« Reply #20256 on: September 14, 2019, 09:09:07 AM »

Citation?

To employ a Boz-ism, I suspect it may rhyme with Sloshington Hexaminer.  Or maybe rhyme with Nero Sledge. 

But both he and Warren can’t explain why 150 million Americans who would lose their current coverage would gladly vote to lose private insurance to a government agency.   

They might be glad if their increased taxes amount to considerably less than their present insurance payments.   That's math most people can grasp.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #20257 on: September 14, 2019, 10:05:54 AM »

Lyndon Johnson

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #20258 on: September 14, 2019, 10:22:24 AM »

Citation?

To employ a Boz-ism, I suspect it may rhyme with Sloshington Hexaminer.  Or maybe rhyme with Nero Sledge. 

They might be glad if their increased taxes amount to considerably less than their present insurance payments.   That's math most people can grasp.
Even if it meant pigs can fly the idea that government run insurance would be a popular choice is hysterical. Even Medicare cannot function effectively without the support of private insurance.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #20260 on: September 14, 2019, 11:19:04 AM »

Citation?

Even if it meant pigs can fly the idea that government run insurance would be a popular choice is hysterical. Even Medicare cannot function effectively without the support of private insurance.

There’s a reason for that and it is called profit motive.

Lyndon Johnson

barton

« Reply #20261 on: September 14, 2019, 12:43:13 PM »

Even if it meant pigs can fly the idea that government run insurance would be a popular choice is hysterical.

Yeah, people really HATE the FDIC and SSA.  I'm sending my SS checks back, and if my bank fails I will be happily broke!   

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #20262 on: September 14, 2019, 01:29:47 PM »

Even if it meant pigs can fly the idea that government run insurance would be a popular choice is hysterical.

Yeah, people really HATE the FDIC and SSA.  I'm sending my SS checks back, and if my bank fails I will be happily broke!   
If you are happy with your SSA check enjoy it.
But thank goodness for 401k s and a plethora of other private investments to enjoy retirement.
Ac­cord­ing to the Fed­eral Re­serve, house-holds headed by peo­ple over the age of 55 own 73% of the value of do­mes­ti­cally owned stocks, and the same share of Amer­i­ca’s to­tal wealth.
House-holds of ages 65 to 74 have an av­er­age of $1,066,000 in net worth, while those be­tween ages 35 and 44 have less than a third as much on av­er­age, at $288,700.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #20263 on: September 14, 2019, 01:55:45 PM »

If you are happy with your SSA check enjoy it.
But thank goodness for 401k s and a plethora of other private investments to enjoy retirement.
Ac­cord­ing to the Fed­eral Re­serve, house-holds headed by peo­ple over the age of 55 own 73% of the value of do­mes­ti­cally owned stocks, and the same share of Amer­i­ca’s to­tal wealth.
House-holds of ages 65 to 74 have an av­er­age of $1,066,000 in net worth, while those be­tween ages 35 and 44 have less than a third as much on av­er­age, at $288,700.

I just took a look at median household net worth and the #s are nowhere near the #s that Red has posted, as the very wealthy can skew the averages dramatically. Its amazing what a handful of bilionaires can do to the #s.

Here’s the median net worth of U.S. families based on the age of the head of household:

Age 35 or younger: $11,100
Age 35-44: $59,800
Age 45-54: $124,200
Age 55-64: $187,300
Age 65-74: $224,100
Age 75 or older: $264,800

And these numbers reflect (in general for a buy and hold investor) huge stock market gains since the early 1980s and very strong reeal estate markets since the Republican-fed Financial crisis of 2007, saved by the sage and steady hand of our first-Kenyan President who saved our economy and global markets from the idiocy and dangers of non-regulation.   

Now I'm not sure if these #s are tax effected for 401ks that will be eventually taxed or home appreciation that may be subject to taxes, but in either case it paints a far less robust picture than Red's paint by #s wishes to portrays. 

I suspect Red might have known the difference, but as he's fond of misleading people, one can't be sure. if he's a liar or a a stupid liar.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 01:57:33 PM by bankshot1 »

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #20264 on: September 14, 2019, 02:27:19 PM »

https://spectrem.com/Content_Press/press-release-spectrem-groups-2019-market-insights-report.aspx

Key findings include:

In 2018, there were 31.2 million Mass Affluent households with a net worth between $100,000 and $1 million, NIPR. That is an increase of 200,000 households from 2017.

The number of Millionaires, defined in the report as those with a net worth between $1 million and $5 million, climbed to 10.23 million, an increase of 250,000 compared with 2017. Including the wealth segments referenced below, there are 11.8 million Americans with a net worth of at least $1 million.

The Ultra High Net Worth market, in which net worth is between $5 million and $25 million, grew to 1,397,000 households, an increase of 47,000 from 2017.

There are now 173,000 households with a net worth exceeding $25 million, an increase of 1,000 households from the previous year. In the 2018 Market Insights report, there was an increase of 16,000 households with a net worth exceeding $25 million, so the 2019 report shows the growth in that wealth segment, as well as in all others, slowed considerably.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 02:29:21 PM by REDSTATEWARD »
Pages: 1 ... 1349 1350 [1351] 1352 1353 ... 4288