Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1400 1401 [1402] 1403 1404 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1608541 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #21015 on: September 29, 2019, 10:06:27 PM »

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #21017 on: September 29, 2019, 11:50:38 PM »

Congrats to you, Knicks. Always nice to hear good news.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #21018 on: September 30, 2019, 01:25:18 AM »

I could love a country that would elect a librarian as president.

I meant to add the name and a link.
It's more than just a national library. 
The Matenadaran (Armenian: Մատենադարան), officially the Mesrop Mashtots Institute of Ancient Manuscripts,[a] is a museum, repository of manuscripts, and a research institute in Yerevan, Armenia
.  The collection was complied and used to be maintained by the Armenian church and dates to the 5th C.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matenadaran

I thought Matenadaran was its name, but it's actually a fancy word for a library repository, and used for a handful of other institutes around the world.

It's an imposing building up on a hill and one of the main streets of Yerevan, Mesrop Mashtots Avenue ends right at the museum.  So from the museum you have a commanding view of the city.
It's a nice tribute to Mashtots who created the Armenian alphabet.

And the research and preservation is meant to keep Armenian language and culture alive, so it's an important institution in the country, and obviously politically connected.

What was funny is that we were on a free guided tour in English.  Just our little group.  The tour was just finishing around 4:30, giving us another half hour to poke around more on our own.  So just before it ended I remarked that it was nice they had extended hours to a full day open on Fridays, just making conversation.  I thought it might get her to talk about her job or the work or whatever.

And the guide said it was designed to get more tourists, but today the president was coming for a reception to dedicate a newly renovated room/exhibit.  We asked when and she said it was scheduled for 5:PM but would probably start around 5:30.  I asked if she'd met the president before, and she said that she used to work with the president's wife who used to be a researcher there.

And sure enough while we looked around  -- the old maps and illustrated manuscripts were pretty impressive -- they started setting up and guests started arriving, and they put out at table with champagne and some parfait-like desert.  And I kept an eye out for who I could get to know so as to get in to the reception, which was going to be held in the next room.

I always like to ask questions, even inane ones, just to get folks talking.  If it wasn't for my question and that last minute exchange at the end of the tour, we would have had no idea the President of Armenia was on the way.

Btw, Armenia last year just overthrew its corrupt old leadership.  the opposition leader, now president, led huge protests in the main square.  The police beat people up.  Then arrested the opp leader.  Who kept demanding the president resign.   Protests continued.  They let the opp leader out, he met with the prez, told him he was corrupt and should resign.  And amazingly a week later he left.  So when we were there, people were ready/waiting for a change.  Some were dissatisfied, others hopeful.  A few said the police stopped taking bribes, as the new gov't cracked down on that ish.  What was amusing is every photo I saw of the opp leader during the protests, jail, and meeting with the old president, the opp leader was wearing a camouflage t-shirt.  I assume it meant to show he was one of the people.  The Armenians have a lot of tough looking non-military guys with regulation short hair wearing camouflage clothing.  We had one large taxi driver that looked like that, with a rather cracked windshield, and he turned out to be a sweetheart, pointing out famous sites in Yerevan in his limited English.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #21019 on: September 30, 2019, 01:30:01 AM »

Minor correction:
It was Levon Ter-Petrosyan, Armenia's first President after independence (1991-98), who was a researcher at the Matenadaran from 1978 to 1991.

So he went from working at the national library to running the country.  Became popular by supporting Nagorno-Karabakh independence from Azerbaijan from 1988 on.  Won the first election easily, and then supported the war.  After forced out of politics, he wrote historical works about Armenians dealings with the Crusaders.

The current president is a physicist and computer programmer, who taught at Cambridge.  And also co-created Wordtris, a word based variant of Tetris.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 01:44:11 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #21021 on: September 30, 2019, 09:19:09 AM »

McCarthy is asked about when Trump said, “I would like you to do us a favor though.”

MCCARTHY: You just added another word.

PELLEY: No, it’s in the transcript.

MCCARTHY: He said-“I’d like you to do a favor though”?

PELLEY: Yes, it’s in the White House transcript.

...pause...
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #21022 on: September 30, 2019, 09:26:01 AM »

President Trump was repeatedly warned by his own staff that the Ukraine conspiracy theory that he and his lawyer were pursuing was “completely debunked” long before the president pressed Ukraine this summer to investigate his Democratic rivals, a former top adviser said on Sunday.

Thomas P. Bossert, who served as Mr. Trump’s first homeland security adviser, said he told the president there was no basis to the theory that Ukraine, not Russia, intervened in the 2016 election and did so on behalf of the Democrats. Speaking out for the first time, Mr. Bossert said he was “deeply disturbed” that Mr. Trump nonetheless tried to get Ukraine’s president to produce damaging information about Democrats.

Important point about this story; we know that Trump excused the Russians for their interference in the election. He knew they interfered.

His demand that aides seek out any information they can to put the finger on Ukraine is not the "president" holding out on a whack conspiracy theory to support his own vanity, it is clearly Trump seeking cover for Putin.  He wants Russia to get away with it.  Partly perhaps to hide his own involvement in the scheme, but almost certainly so that they are free to do it again.  This goes hand in hand with his publicly denying Putin's involvement when, again, he has acknowledged it behind closed doors.

If that isn't collusion, what the fuck is?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/29/us/politics/tom-bossert-trump-ukraine.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21023 on: September 30, 2019, 11:27:52 AM »

Treason! Lock up Adam Schiff!

Why?

Because he said he was going to paraphrase the president and then he did!

The cad! Lock him up!

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/30/politics/donald-trump-adam-schiff/index.html

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #21024 on: September 30, 2019, 12:36:50 PM »

Treason! Lock up Adam Schiff!

Why?

Because he said he was going to paraphrase the president and then he did!

The cad! Lock him up!

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/30/politics/donald-trump-adam-schiff/index.html

;and for any Speech or Debate in either House, they shall not be questioned in any other Place.

https://www.usconstitution.net/xconst_A1Sec6.html

...but I guess our "president" openly flouting the Constitution is old news now.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #21025 on: September 30, 2019, 01:10:57 PM »

Many of the same people who were willing to demand Obama’s head on a pike over a bad investment in green energy don’t seem all that bothered by Trump’s end-run around Congress to funnel money to failing coal plants. The same people who thought the auto bailouts were grounds for Obama’s removal don’t have anything to say about Trump’s decision to spend more than twice as much bailing out farmers over a trade war he started. Those who relied on massive amounts of inference to convince themselves and others that Obama was engaging in unconstitutional shakedowns will undoubtedly insist that there was no “quid pro quo” in Trump’s mafia-style discussion with the Ukranian president.

Right-wing media outlets have always been a place where unprincipled arguments and double standards thrive, but through the corruption and scandal of the Trump administration, they’ve only gotten worse. These contradictions and hypocrisy make one thing abundantly clear: These are not good-faith actors.

https://www.mediamatters.org/barack-obama/looking-back-many-ludicrous-justifications-right-wing-media-used-call-obamas

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21026 on: September 30, 2019, 01:34:19 PM »

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/30/mcconnell-says-senate-would-have-to-take-up-trump-impeachment.html?fbclid=IwAR0PdeM6a03Fp_tMma1Ay0F8Qeb9RLU08t4SzmVFKBPuP5hAD9HziX9qJWI

Amazingly enough, even Mitch McConnell can recognize this constitutional imperative, even as he vows to not even consider facts, but merely to dispatch the accusations as rapidly as possible.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21027 on: September 30, 2019, 01:37:27 PM »

Many of the same people who were willing to demand Obama’s head on a pike over a bad investment in green energy don’t seem all that bothered by Trump’s end-run around Congress to funnel money to failing coal plants. The same people who thought the auto bailouts were grounds for Obama’s removal don’t have anything to say about Trump’s decision to spend more than twice as much bailing out farmers over a trade war he started. Those who relied on massive amounts of inference to convince themselves and others that Obama was engaging in unconstitutional shakedowns will undoubtedly insist that there was no “quid pro quo” in Trump’s mafia-style discussion with the Ukranian president.

Right-wing media outlets have always been a place where unprincipled arguments and double standards thrive, but through the corruption and scandal of the Trump administration, they’ve only gotten worse. These contradictions and hypocrisy make one thing abundantly clear: These are not good-faith actors.

https://www.mediamatters.org/barack-obama/looking-back-many-ludicrous-justifications-right-wing-media-used-call-obamas

These contradictions and hypocrisy demonstrate anew what has been clear for at least 27 years and likely longer: These are not good-faith actors - whether you mean the media or the GOP as a whole.

Actors, to be sure, but not on America's behalf.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21028 on: September 30, 2019, 03:17:53 PM »

RT @drskyskull
Whistleblower: Trump did crimes.
GOP: Hearsay!
Trump: I did the crimes.
Rudy: We did crimes.
GOP: No evidence!
Trump: Here’s a transcript of me doing crimes.
GOP: I haven’t read it.
Trump: Again, I did crimes.
GOP: DEM CONSPIRACY

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #21029 on: September 30, 2019, 03:40:24 PM »

---Nancy Pelosi <[email protected]>
To:
[email protected]

Sep 30 at 1:55 PM

I’m about to throw in the towel.

I just checked my team’s fundraising numbers (again!), and things aren’t looking good at all.

I won’t sugarcoat this for you: I am still behind on my ambitious End of Quarter goal.

I wouldn’t be reaching out to you for the seventh time in four days if this moment wasn’t absolutely critical.

If I can’t compete with Trump and his Republicans’ unprecedented cash hauls, I won’t have the resources we need to protect and expand our Majority.

That means everything we’ve worked so hard for together will all be for nothing.

I don’t say that lightly!

That’s why I’m asking for 1O,165 more grassroots Democrats to step up before tonight’s End of Quarter Deadline.

Will you please pitch in $1 right now?

I’m running out of time,xxx. I’ll personally triple match every gift until midnight.

Triple match your $1 >>

Triple match your $35 >>

Triple match your $50 >>

Triple match your $100 >>

Triple match your $250 >>

Or triple match another amount >>

Thank you,

Nancy---

Oh no!  Well at least you had the good sense not to remind us again of all the prospective anchor babies dying in death camps. We would miss you like we would miss the mumps.
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.
Pages: 1 ... 1400 1401 [1402] 1403 1404 ... 4288