Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1429 1430 [1431] 1432 1433 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1585160 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #21450 on: October 09, 2019, 12:22:15 PM »

This year hasn’t been quite as grifty as last year (a banner year for tax cheats), and may not rank as the most corrupt year of the trump administration.

If you had a point, it’s been drowned out by the deafening roar of republican corruption and their vile betrayal of the United States.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

barton

« Reply #21451 on: October 09, 2019, 12:29:13 PM »

Ahhh, my bad - are we still on inquiry?

Yes.

That's that "due process" and "wait for all the facts" thing that you keep reminding us about, Kid. 

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #21452 on: October 09, 2019, 12:41:33 PM »

News Item-
According to the  Congressional Budget Office

In  fiscal year 2019, which ended in September, corporate income taxes raised $230 billion. The figure is $25 billion more than the year before and amounts to an increase of 12.4% – or roughly three times the growth rate of the overall economy.

Every democrat Presidential Candidate wants to Roll Back the tax cuts.

Your point here is unclear as you are comparing two years where the tax cuts were in effect.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #21453 on: October 09, 2019, 12:43:33 PM »

News Item-

In  fiscal year 2019, which ended in September, corporate income taxes raised $230 billion. The figure is $25 billion more than the year before and amounts to an increase of 12.4% – or roughly three times the growth rate of the overall economy.

Your point here is unclear as you are comparing two years where the tax cuts were in effect.

https://www.pgpf.org/blog/2018/10/corporate-tax-receipts-were-down-by-nearly-one-third-in-fiscal-year-2018
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #21454 on: October 09, 2019, 12:44:35 PM »

Turkey has started its offensive against formerly US-backed Kurds. Reports that it is being coordinated with Russian attacks against them elsewhere in Syria.

But REDSTATEWARD got his tax cuts.
You are a study in Turkey ignorance.

The attack has begun. It may have been coordinated with Russia.

If there is a fact I am getting wrong in the above, point it out.

Otherwise, stfu.

barton

« Reply #21455 on: October 09, 2019, 12:50:15 PM »

Part of why I remain leaning more towards Warren (or Yang or Booker or Buttigieg) than Biden....

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/09/opinion/what-hunter-biden-did-was-legal-and-thats-the-problem.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

In trying to disprove a link between the father’s powerful position and the son’s surprising success, Hunter Biden’s lawyers claim he did not take an equity stake in BHR Partners until after Joe Biden left office. Hunter, whose company, according to its financial records, held an equity stake in the fund, took a board seat when it was founded, in December 2013. At the same time, his business partner, Devon Archer, was vice chairman.

With the Russian invasion of Crimea in 2014, Joe Biden became point person in Ukraine as well. That same year, Hunter Biden landed a board position with the Ukrainian energy giant Burisma Holdings. Despite having no background in energy or Ukraine, the vice president’s son was paid as much as $50,000 a month, according to financial records. (He left the board in early 2019.)

Why would someone with so little experience be able to command such enormous payments? Joe Biden recently claimed, “I have never spoken to my son about his overseas business dealings.” But Hunter Biden admitted to The New Yorker that on one occasion, they had in fact discussed his work for Burisma: “Dad said, ‘I hope you know what you are doing,’ and I said, ‘I do.’” Moreover, a representative for BHR Partners has said that Hunter Biden introduced his father to one of the company’s founders during their December 2013 China trip.

The Bidens are hardly alone. President Trump’s transportation secretary, Elaine Chao, and her husband, Senator Mitch McConnell, are being accused of having profited from their commercial ties to Beijing. In 2004, the two had a net worth of about $3.1 million, according to public disclosures. Three years later, the range was $3.1 million to $12.7 million. The next year, their net worth rocketed to $7.3 million to $33.1 million.

What changed? In 2008, Ms. Chao’s father, James Chao, gave the couple a “gift” of $5 million to $25 million (politicians are required to report money in ranges, not exact amounts). Certainly, their wealth has continued to grow.

Mr. Chao’s generosity was made possible by the fortune he has amassed through his shipping company, Foremost Group, which has thrived in large part because of its close ties with the Chinese government. In late 1993, Mr. Chao and his son-in-law, Mr. McConnell, traveled to China as guests of the state-owned shipyard conglomerate and military contractor, China State Shipbuilding Corporation. There they met with an old classmate of Mr. Chao’s, the former Chinese president Jiang Zemin.

Mr. McConnell’s once hard-line condemnations of China softened in the years to follow. For example, as The New Republic has noted, Mr. McConnell went from telling University of Louisville students that America would never forget Tiananmen Square, in the late 1980s, to hosting the Chinese ambassador at the same school several years later, even as the ambassador publicly defended the regime’s suppression of the Falun Gong...

We need laws, with teeth and talons, to rid politics of these corrupting opportunities.  I would go so far as to suggest that candidates for public office, and immediate relatives, cannot have foreign business ties at all.  Yes, that is a suggestion that falls in the "burn it downnn!" category. 
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 12:59:25 PM by Barton »

barton

« Reply #21456 on: October 09, 2019, 12:58:13 PM »

Turkey has started its offensive against formerly US-backed Kurds. Reports that it is being coordinated with Russian attacks against them elsewhere in Syria.

Otherwise, stfu.

No, no!  Watching Red try to defend the indefensible is a key part of my recommended daily comedy intake. 

Elbans watching the news:  Hey, Trump just threw our allies under a bus, did a big favor for murderous despots Erdogan and Putin, and there's blood and squished body parts all over the street! 

Red:  Turkey ignorance!

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #21457 on: October 09, 2019, 01:06:37 PM »

News Item-

I didn’t make the comparison, the  CBO did.

But since you asked.
The CBO said corporate revenues would come in at $409 billion in the first two years of the corporate tax cuts. Actual revenues were $435 billion – almost 7% higher.

Individual income tax revenues were up 2% in 2019, and payroll tax revenue was up by 6.2%, according to the CBO.

Overall federal revenues were up 4% in 2019. And they are up compared with 2017, the year before the tax cuts went into effect.

Comparing the revenue gains in 2019 with the changes in fiscal 2016.
That year, corporate tax revenues fell by almost 13%. Individual income taxes were virtually flat – up by 0.4%. Payroll taxes grew less than 5%.

Overall revenues that year were up less than 1%.

In fiscal 2017,  before any of the tax changes went into effect overall revenues had 1.4% gain. Corporate income taxes dropped again, by 1%. Individual income and payroll taxes went up, but by less than in 2019.

So, the bottom line is revenues are increasing at a faster clip now than they were in the two years prior to the tax cuts.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 01:10:12 PM by REDSTATEWARD »

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #21458 on: October 09, 2019, 01:08:44 PM »

Otherwise, stfu.

No, no!  Watching Red try to defend the indefensible is a key part of my recommended daily comedy intake. 

Elbans watching the news:  Hey, Trump just threw our allies under a bus, did a big favor for murderous despots Erdogan and Putin, and there's blood and squished body parts all over the street! 

Turkey is our ally.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #21459 on: October 09, 2019, 01:17:52 PM »

You tied the increase in receipts to the tax cuts.  The CBO did not.  And would not, since the comparison is made between two years where the tax cuts were already in effect.  As I said.

And so happy to see the rates of increase in receipts is going up.  If that is tied to the tax cut, you didn't prove it.  But even if it was, looks like we are still three or four years out from getting to the point where those tax receipts were before the cuts.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #21460 on: October 09, 2019, 01:19:28 PM »

Otherwise, stfu.

Turkey is our ally.

Turkey is an "ally" that is coordinating its Syria policy with Russia and Iran.

The Kurds that Turkey is now killing were our ally against ISIS.

Again, any facts in the above you can dispute go for it.  Otherwise, I again invite you to stfu.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #21461 on: October 09, 2019, 01:29:45 PM »

A Quinnipiac poll, out later on Tuesday, found slightly lower support for impeachment than the Post. Forty-five percent of those polled said the President should be impeached and removed from office, 49% said he shouldn't be.
----
And an NBC/WSJ poll that was released Tuesday evening found even less support for impeaching and removing Trump -- 43% of those polled said they were in favor and 49% said they were against impeachment and removal.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/08/politics/washington-post-poll-trump-impeachment/index.html

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #21462 on: October 09, 2019, 01:35:03 PM »

A Quinnipiac poll, out later on Tuesday, found slightly lower support for impeachment than the Post. Forty-five percent of those polled said the President should be impeached and removed from office, 49% said he shouldn't be.
----
And an NBC/WSJ poll that was released Tuesday evening found even less support for impeaching and removing Trump -- 43% of those polled said they were in favor and 49% said they were against impeachment and removal.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/08/politics/washington-post-poll-trump-impeachment/index.html

That's the same NBC/WSJ poll that shows 58% support an impeachment inquiry, vs. 38% that do not?

Thanks.  But I posted a link to it yesterday.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #21463 on: October 09, 2019, 01:44:48 PM »

You tied the increase in receipts to the tax cuts.  The CBO did not.  And would not, since the comparison is made between two years where the tax cuts were already in effect.  As I said.
LOL!

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #21464 on: October 09, 2019, 02:33:07 PM »

----

That's the same NBC/WSJ poll that shows 58% support an impeachment inquiry, vs. 38% that do not?

Thanks.  But I posted a link to it yesterday.

INQUIRY!!!!

heh
Pages: 1 ... 1429 1430 [1431] 1432 1433 ... 4288