Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1461 1462 [1463] 1464 1465 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1583964 times)

Yankguy1

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #21930 on: October 18, 2019, 10:27:23 AM »

I'm having a hard time figuring out if the Mick Mulvaney's of the world are that dumb or just plain arrogant ( "get over it," indeed) I suppose it could be both.

Did you hear the entire interview?

Yes or no?
Yes.  And I'm still having a hard time.  I'm pretty confident they're morons though.  Get over it.

You heard/read it, but don't see what Mulvaney was speaking to, given the context

How does normal US action become quid pro quo?
Good one!  And you complain about people being led around by the nose.  I know the administration represents intellectual paragons to you and truth-tellers.  I apologize for those of us that don't see them the same way. 
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #21931 on: October 18, 2019, 10:38:23 AM »

The actions Mulvaney described are not normal. 

Usual US business - under many administrations - yes

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #21932 on: October 18, 2019, 10:53:47 AM »

The actions Mulvaney described are not normal. 

Usual US business - under many administrations - yes

You say it is normal under many administrations (oh, but not all?) to withhold military aid to an ally in the midst of armed conflict for purely political purposes while keeping Congress and the State Department in the dark on those negotiations?

Well, surely you wouldn't say that if you didn't have an example in mind, so give me one.

While we wait for your response, you may find it instructive that Mulvaney tried the argument you are now still somehow defending and it failed spectacularly which is why he has "walked" his statement back to the NO QUID PRO QUO position.  Not arguing that its normal.  Just saying he didn't say what he said.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #21933 on: October 18, 2019, 10:59:53 AM »

“You don’t hold up foreign aid that we had previously appropriated for a political initiative,” Senator Lisa Murkowski, Republican of Alaska and a famously cautious congressional veteran, told reporters on Capitol Hill Thursday afternoon. “Period.”

Wait Senator.  kiidcarter8 is going to get back to us with an example of when that has been done.  We will forward it on to you just as soon as it is received.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #21934 on: October 18, 2019, 11:01:55 AM »

Republican Rep. Francis Rooney of Florida called Mulvaney's acknowledgment about withholding Ukraine aid "troubling," saying it is "not a good thing" to do that in connection "with threatening foreign leaders."

Rooney would not rule out the prospects of supporting impeaching the President

Wait!  Before you vote on impeachment, hear kiidcarter8 out.  He has some great points to make.  Any time now.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #21935 on: October 18, 2019, 11:05:01 AM »

Well there might have been this time on "West Wing" when......
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #21936 on: October 18, 2019, 11:24:33 AM »

While we wait on kiidcarter8 some updates from the Turkey/Syria situation:

Turkey may be using chemical weapons against the Kurds.
Turkish forces are attacking Ras al Ain despite the "ceasefire."
They have targetedmedical convoys, inclucing one from an American aid organization trying to evacuate wounded citizens:

https://foreignpolicy.com/2019/10/17/turkish-proxies-chemical-weapons-syria-kurds/

Sure am glad the Great Trump made all the dying stop.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21937 on: October 18, 2019, 11:44:24 AM »

I saw the presser and his positive was, “Yeah, we did it, so what?”

We did it.  It's done all the time - don't put any extra emphasis on this instance.

No, we don't, Kid.

We trade favors for favors that align with US security needs all the time.

We don't trade favors for the advancement of individual or party political objectives. For example, trading prisoners happens. Negotiating to have the prisoners held until after the election so your opponent loses is treason, whether done by a sitting president or a candidate.

Withholding a meeting unless a foreign leader agrees to announce the investigation you want is criminal, especially if you tell him that just after you have withheld military aid that has been allocated to them.

No, it is not done "all the time," which is why Mulvaney tried to walk back his words a few hours later (after he had been chewed out).
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #21938 on: October 18, 2019, 12:04:20 PM »

I saw the presser and his positive was, “Yeah, we did it, so what?”

We did it.  It's done all the time - don't put any extra emphasis on this instance.

No, we don't, Kid.

We trade favors for favors that align with US security needs all the time.

We don't trade favors for the advancement of individual or party political objectives. For example, trading prisoners happens. Negotiating to have the prisoners held until after the election so your opponent loses is treason, whether done by a sitting president or a candidate.

Withholding a meeting unless a foreign leader agrees to announce the investigation you want is criminal, especially if you tell him that just after you have withheld military aid that has been allocated to them.

No, it is not done "all the time," which is why Mulvaney tried to walk back his words a few hours later (after he had been chewed out).

It has been done... Nixon scuttled the peace talks between the Johnson Administration and North Vietnam and that helped his campaign in 1968.

Great example for this president to follow, eh?
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #21939 on: October 18, 2019, 12:33:18 PM »

Good luck with the prosecution.

barton

« Reply #21940 on: October 18, 2019, 12:38:40 PM »

BTW, anyone notice  that Trump's call to Erdogan greenlighting the invasion of Syria was made on Putin's birthday?

No

If you did, you are a freak.

Heh.  Don't let it bother you that Trump waited 11 months, so that he could give his boyfriend Vlad a nice geopolitical gift.   

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #21941 on: October 18, 2019, 12:56:25 PM »

While we wait on kiidcarter8 some updates from the Turkey/Syria situation:

Turkey may be using chemical weapons against the Kurds.
Turkish forces are attacking Ras al Ain despite the "ceasefire."
They have targetedmedical convoys, inclucing one from an American aid organization trying to evacuate wounded citizens:

https://foreignpolicy.com/2019/10/17/turkish-proxies-chemical-weapons-syria-kurds/

Sure am glad the Great Trump made all the dying stop.

As if that could ever happen

barton

« Reply #21942 on: October 18, 2019, 01:20:15 PM »

Trump tapped him for the job despite wilting criticism Perry delivered as an opponent during the 2016 primary campaign. At a 2015 event, Perry said Trump "offers a barking carnival act that can be best described as Trumpism: a toxic mix of demagoguery, mean-spiritedness and nonsense that will lead the Republican Party to perdition if pursued."

Rick had his lucid moments.

https://www.npr.org/2019/10/17/593950148/energy-secretary-rick-perry-resigns

barton

« Reply #21943 on: October 18, 2019, 01:23:30 PM »

Perry has repeatedly questioned the science behind climate change. Still, his home state of Texas is the largest wind energy producer in the country. For the first half of this year, more electricity was generated in the state by wind than coal, according to member station KUT.... 

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #21944 on: October 18, 2019, 01:42:28 PM »

Perry has repeatedly questioned the science behind climate change. Still, his home state of Texas is the largest wind energy producer in the country. For the first half of this year, more electricity was generated in the state by wind than coal, according to member station KUT.... 

Cool.  I will look for the windmills on my trip to HOU.
Pages: 1 ... 1461 1462 [1463] 1464 1465 ... 4288