Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1490 1491 [1492] 1493 1494 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1995902 times)

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #22365 on: October 24, 2019, 05:45:43 PM »

Squirrel!
A parrot bit me.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #22366 on: October 24, 2019, 05:56:24 PM »

Trump is extremely concerned with such corruption.
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #22367 on: October 24, 2019, 06:00:34 PM »

barton

« Reply #22368 on: October 24, 2019, 06:08:43 PM »

Tim Ryan has stunningly dropped out of the race. Shock waves will reverberate for seconds.

He strove to be the champion of the forgotten, and succeeded.

That gets you a

<rimshot>

in Bart-ville.  Haha!

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #22369 on: October 24, 2019, 06:12:12 PM »

Squirrel!
For you.
For.anyone:

"There’s no evidence that Hunter or his father acted improperly or violated any laws."
A parrot bit me.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #22370 on: October 24, 2019, 06:14:10 PM »

According to NBC News:

In the final year of the Obama administration, an American lawyer traveled to Romania to meet with a businessman accused of orchestrating a corrupt land deal.
The businessman was Gabriel “Puiu” Popoviciu, a wealthy Romanian real estate tycoon. The lawyer brought in to advise him was Hunter Biden, the son of then-Vice President Joe Biden, according to two people familiar with the matter.
Hunter Biden’s work for Popoviciu in 2016 went unreported at the time, but Joe Biden’s involvement in Romania was very much public. The vice president was among the leading voices pushing the government to crack down on corruption.
There’s no evidence that Hunter or his father acted improperly or violated any laws. But the arrangement, government ethics experts say, raises concerns that Hunter Biden was used as a prop in Popoviciu’s effort to dodge criminal prosecution.

We don’t know what [Hunter Biden] was paid or what he was paid for but it does raise questions of whether this Romanian individual facing criminal charges was actually paying for a connection to the American vice president,” said Kathleen Clark, a Washington University law professor who specializes in government ethics.

Note that Popoviciu was convicted and sentenced to prison.

In light  of the Biden’s recently cutting “ business” ties to the Ukraine and Shanghai the Romanian adventure indicates they swore allegiance to the
Clinton standard—
any conduct not deemed illegal in a foreign jurisdiction is fair game for those with U.S. political juice.
At least they have not established a Clinton extortion game commonly referred to as a “ Charitable Foundation”.

As grandma used to say, “What’s this have to with price of tea in China?”
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

barton

« Reply #22371 on: October 24, 2019, 06:19:19 PM »

Tim Ryan has stunningly dropped out of the race. Shock waves will reverberate for seconds.

Who?

The shock I felt, for a millisecond, was that Ryan had still been in the race up till now.  Damn, I bet he ate funnel cakes at the State Fair and I missed it!

Red's still blowing smoke from his derriere to try and conceal the obvious fact that potus has violated his oath of office and the public trust.
If that is case how come Nancy  now says “ we have to sharpen” our strategy!”

Because getting the blindingly obvious to penetrate the thick heads of Repubs (first getting past the mental armor plating of MAGA hats) takes a really sharp instrument. 

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #22372 on: October 24, 2019, 06:29:23 PM »

Squirrel!
For you.
For.anyone:

"There’s no evidence that Hunter or his father acted improperly or violated any laws."
Hmmm.  Some standard.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #22373 on: October 24, 2019, 07:41:43 PM »

Evidence? Well, it has clearly never been YOUR standard, so no wonder you are nonplussed.
A parrot bit me.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #22374 on: October 24, 2019, 07:55:28 PM »

Red

you're mostly among friends here, whats the real deal among the fascist-white supremecist-republicans down at the the local Bund hall?

Do they not care there is a traitor and corrupt grifter in the WH who is selling us out cheap to Russia, or sort of care but as long as the tax cuts keep coming and brown people not coming, then the trashing of our shared core democratic principles and a little treason is a fair price to pay.

You guys aren't stupid or blind, you can see what's going on.

You're just amoral and gready racists, right?

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22375 on: October 24, 2019, 09:02:41 PM »

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #22376 on: October 24, 2019, 09:20:37 PM »

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #22377 on: October 24, 2019, 09:24:32 PM »

That's the stock AP phrase that appears in almost every story about Hunter Biden.  And it irks me.  It's pretty clear that foreign businessmen hired Hunter B. in order to get an in with the Obama Admin.  Either they were buying access, inside knowledge, a sympathetic listen, perceived connections, whatever.  H Biden was paid a lot of money for his connection to his Veep Dad.  From Ukraine, China, Romania, and wherever else.  With the hope that it would pay off with favorable treatment from the O Admin, or convince those in the home country that they had O Admin connections.

It's bog standard corruption that isn't illegal but probably should be.  It certainly sends up a big red ethics flag.  It's slimy.  Close relatives of a top US pol pocketing lots of foreign cash for little work and the access or appearance of access that conveys.   Trump and his boys are right for pointing out that corruption.  Unfortunately, they didn't outsource it to some GOP operative, but instead corruptly pressed the Biden family corruption by suborning US foreign policy to Trump's reelection efforts.  Oops.

But this idea that Hunter Biden did nothing wrong, or Joe didn't know about it or couldn't reign it in is hogwash.  Politicians should avoid the appearance of corruption and not get into or allow compromising situations.  The Bidens failed that.  Hunter's business dealings in countries in which his Dad was involved in setting US policy was improper.  At least if it brings down Trump, the Biden corruption will have served some good. 
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22378 on: October 24, 2019, 10:34:04 PM »

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22379 on: October 24, 2019, 10:37:43 PM »

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/10/24/judge-holds-betsy-devos-in-contempt-057012?fbclid=IwAR3GFVouefpZlWc0h_tgdwo1u94M250pGgfcwgY2va07ieO7gkrIShapUz4

$100,000 fine for DeVos for violating the court order.

Not even a slap on the wrist.

She doesn't pay the fine, we do. The Department admitted having failed in its oversight responsibility - and that is on her.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 10:43:03 PM by josh »
Pages: 1 ... 1490 1491 [1492] 1493 1494 ... 4288