Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1492 1493 [1494] 1495 1496 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1996151 times)

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #22395 on: October 25, 2019, 09:19:19 AM »

Simple enough that it all fits into a tweet:

https://twitter.com/justinamash/status/1187474571496054787

And btw, Graham oversaw closed-door sessions on Benghazi and the Clinton impeachment.  He knows how this works.  This is pure bad faith in the service of protecting potential criminal and damaging behavior by the "president."
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #22396 on: October 25, 2019, 09:19:31 AM »

Pompeo: I don’t think about that stuff. I work hard. I do the right thing as best I can tell every day. I try to make sure my team is similarly focused. You all talk about this noise an awful lot, that you all are fixated on this. The State Department you should know is not. The American people should know that the State Department is focused on its mission. We’re working every day and 180 plus countries around the world to keep America safe, to keep young men and women from Kansas who joined America’s military to keep them out of harm’s way. So they don’t have to engage in armed conflict to keep us safe. Our mission is to use diplomacy, America’s economic power to protect America. That’s what we’re focused on every day. And whatever the noise is in Washington or whatever some journalist wants to ask about some storyline that’s going on, the American people should know that the State Department will continue to do its mission. We will continue to hire diverse, talented workforce from all across America. Every Kansan who’s thinking about joining the State Department, I’d encourage you to come be part of this great team, this great organization. And will continue to deliver on behalf of the American people.

Excellent

lol.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #22397 on: October 25, 2019, 09:53:18 AM »

Good morning, all

Wouldnt you agree, Larry that this has the potential to be a big fat hairy MESS for the Democrats?

Or are you comfortable that any work done on impeachment, even if unsuccessful, will bring more votes to your side in the 2020 general? 

Are you being patriotic, political or BOTH in your "impeach 45!" (best Maxine voice) stance?

No elected official, Democrat or Republican, should be able to use their power to engage the levers of the US Government to further their own election efforts.  Particularly when that engagement entails involving a foreign country.

Agree or disagree?

Area is gray - which I am sure you will find (and object to) when all is said and done.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #22398 on: October 25, 2019, 09:57:58 AM »

And kiidcarter8 dutifully links to a Fox piece about it!  Trump and co. know their audience.

Yeah - I reserve the right to link to Fox at least once in a  blue moon.

Strong Hannity airing last night, indeed.

Judge Jeanine Pirro had a strong double down this morning with Kilmeade.

This is not the video, but Pirro from a few nights back

https://video.foxnews.com/v/6096190085001/#sp=show-clips

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #22399 on: October 25, 2019, 10:00:24 AM »

I can give you 750 million reasons why America isn't done with its endless wars.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

barton

« Reply #22400 on: October 25, 2019, 10:00:46 AM »

Pompeo:  The whole predicate of your question is insane. The word the United States-- I’ll give you a good example-- the word of the United States is much more respected today than it was just two and a half years ago. 

LMAO.

Mike Pompeo, who boosted his campaign for the House, in Wichita, by tweeting a link to ethnic slurs against his Indian-American opponent, then faux-apologizing.  What a piece of work.

barton

« Reply #22401 on: October 25, 2019, 10:02:21 AM »

Good morning, all

Wouldnt you agree, Larry that this has the potential to be a big fat hairy MESS for the Democrats?

Or are you comfortable that any work done on impeachment, even if unsuccessful, will bring more votes to your side in the 2020 general? 

Are you being patriotic, political or BOTH in your "impeach 45!" (best Maxine voice) stance?

No elected official, Democrat or Republican, should be able to use their power to engage the levers of the US Government to further their own election efforts.  Particularly when that engagement entails involving a foreign country.

Agree or disagree?

Area is gray - which I am sure you will find (and object to) when all is said and done.

Gray area on blatant violation of the Constitution.  Uh huh. 

barton

« Reply #22402 on: October 25, 2019, 10:15:35 AM »

To the extent that Trump’s GOP allies are saying, This is troubling but I don’t see a crime here, you’re arguing that we shouldn’t get hung up on whether this abuse of power is actually a criminal act. That this kind of abuse of power is what impeachment has always been used for?

Exactly. The it’s-not-a-crime argument is raised every time there’s a significant impeachment controversy involving a public official, throughout our history. The defenders of the official will always make this argument, Oh, this isn’t a crime. And every time, we have to do this process of constitutional education and tell people that it doesn’t have to be a crime. This same argument was raised in the Andrew Johnson case. The same argument was raised with Nixon. The House Judiciary Committee put out a nice freestanding report with Nixon; they address this question squarely and concluded, as pretty much every respectable constitutional observer agrees, that a crime is not required.

Consider it. It would be pretty crazy to suggest that a crime is required. Because if you imagine all kinds of bad things that a president might do that we would want to remove them for, an awful lot of them aren’t necessarily criminal.   

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/impeachment-expert-law-trump-merits-removal-893358/

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #22403 on: October 25, 2019, 10:21:30 AM »

Good morning, all

Agree or disagree?

There is Zero gray area based on the facts we already know.  From the moment Trump applied pressure on Ukraine to initiate a Biden investigation. 

The GOP tried to fabricate "gray area" by saying that there needed to be a Quid pro Quo.

Now, when that Quid Pro Quo is proven (reportedly not just with the military aid, but a trade deal was also delayed) the GOP will try to fabricate more "gray area."

But you answered the question.  You are ok with a President of the United States using the power of his office to engage foreign powers to work toward his election.  I am sure you are comfortable with that precedent being set no matter the party or priorities of the President who engages with it.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22404 on: October 25, 2019, 10:30:57 AM »

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/10/trump-impeachment-articles-marie-yovanovitch.html?fbclid=IwAR0JdVDfRMtAwy6bNKTdUr5T3dO4BodlM2R6N9dWa4wPS-1LsUYCvrDXxXE

Trump's removal of Yovanovitch is enough for impeachment, by itself.
What’s taking Nancy so long?
She is.letting Schiff do a good, thorough job so that if impeachment is necessary it is based upon a complete investigation, strong and unassailable evidence and the reasoned and fact based decision of House members. The country deserves no less.
A parrot bit me.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #22405 on: October 25, 2019, 10:51:52 AM »

Good morning, all

Agree or disagree?

Gray area on blatant violation of the Constitution.  Uh huh.

Any rational person would agree, yes

Constitution doesn't come with examples.  And is of course an amendable instrument that is subject to interpretation at all times.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #22406 on: October 25, 2019, 10:57:01 AM »

But you answered the question.  You are ok with a President of the United States using the power of his office to engage foreign powers to work toward his election.  I am sure you are comfortable with that precedent being set no matter the party or priorities of the President who engages with it.

I am absolutely OK with what has occurred, if this is what you are asking

Information on the Biden's, gotten through whatever means, should be of interest to all Americans.  If info is FABRICATED, this is where you have a problem.  I don't see this here - do you?

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #22407 on: October 25, 2019, 11:21:46 AM »

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/10/trump-impeachment-articles-marie-yovanovitch.html?fbclid=IwAR0JdVDfRMtAwy6bNKTdUr5T3dO4BodlM2R6N9dWa4wPS-1LsUYCvrDXxXE

She is.letting Schiff do a good, thorough job so that if impeachment is necessary it is based upon a complete investigation, strong and unassailable evidence and the reasoned and fact based decision of House members. The country deserves no less.
Then it is past time to conduct the investigation the country deserves. Not with Adam Schiff  and his make-it-up-as -we-roll- along attitude.  This “process” of secrecy in trying to overturn the results of an election will not end well for the democrats. But I can see why they don’t want transparency. That did not work out for them trying to prove collusion and obstruction.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 11:25:38 AM by REDSTATEWARD »

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #22408 on: October 25, 2019, 11:40:52 AM »

I am absolutely OK with what has occurred, if this is what you are asking

Information on the Biden's, gotten through whatever means, should be of interest to all Americans.  If info is FABRICATED, this is where you have a problem.  I don't see this here - do you?

First, "Information on the Biden's gotten through whatever means" is of course very problematic as you have no idea how or who is providing that "info" and how accurate it is.  This is something you seem to understand is the basis of Barr's mission re: the Russia Investigation, but for some reason on the Biden's you don't care.  Huh.

Second, Trump wasn't asking Ukraine to gather "information."  What Trump was asking for was a public declaration of an investigation, with no credible predicate that there was any illegal activity for that investigation to be based on.  Trump was then prepared to turn around and say "See, Biden is being investigated!  He is just as shady as I am!"  And that, kiidcarter8, is propaganda.

And no, no one with a care to the way our Democracy functions should be ok with that.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #22409 on: October 25, 2019, 11:43:35 AM »

Then it is past time to conduct the investigation the country deserves. Not with Adam Schiff  and his make-it-up-as -we-roll- along attitude.  This “process” of secrecy in trying to overturn the results of an election will not end well for the democrats. But I can see why they don’t want transparency. That did not work out for them trying to prove collusion and obstruction.

This "process of secrecy" (somehow so secret despite there being both Republicans and Democrats in the room at every deposition) is the same for every investigation conducted in Congress, from Benghazi to Clinton.  The insistence on saying otherwise is 100% an attempt to discredit a process that Republicans know is going to turn up impeachable offenses. 

They know this, of course, because it already has.
Pages: 1 ... 1492 1493 [1494] 1495 1496 ... 4288