Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1515 1516 [1517] 1518 1519 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1994858 times)

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #22740 on: October 30, 2019, 08:18:47 AM »

Obviously the Trumpeters want to undercut the House and any impeachment inquiry in any way they can.  Even if it's just noise and bad faith arguments.

I assume the underlying logic of calling the investigation illegal was to provide a rationale to not cooperate, withholding gov't employees and documents.

I'm now sure after the House vote they'll cooperate in full ...
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22741 on: October 30, 2019, 08:19:40 AM »

Do you have an issue with the text...the source?

No issue with text or the source.  I do have an issue with your selective cutting of it.  Immediately after this section on the Wikipedia entry on Impeachment, comes this:

In 1973, the Senate Watergate hearings (with testimony from John Dean, and the revelation of the White House tapes by Alexander Butterfield) were held in May and June 1973, and the House Judiciary Committee authorized Chairman Rodino to commence an investigation, with subpoena power, on October 30, 1973. The full House voted to initiate impeachment proceedings on February 6, 1974, that is, after nine months of formal investigations by various Congressional committees.

Now seriously dude.  Fuck off.
Just.wanted.to add, current House rules no longer require a vote for the exercise of subpoena power. Chairs can issue subpoena, which is one reason the House vote was not needed now.
A parrot bit me.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22742 on: October 30, 2019, 08:23:14 AM »

In 1970, House minority leader Gerald R. Ford attempted to initiate impeachment proceedings against Associate Justice William O. Douglas; the attempt included a 90-minute speech on the House floor.[22] The House did not vote to initiate proceedings.

Minority leader. As such he had no power, right or ability to initiate any proceedings on his own.
  Neither does the Speaker. Article 1 Section 2
LOL. Don't ever change. We need the laughs.

Nothing in the Constitution indicates you can use a.resolution to start impeachment proceedings either.
What it does say is the House(the entire body) has the sole power of impeachment.

And that they can establish their own rules for how to do it.

In this case, by hearings restricted to the designated committee members of both parties.

Because the Constitution allows them to do that, no matter how much you pretend to have an argument.
They and them?
You are getting closer.
Still not there, just yet.

You remain a child playing childish games, unable to admit when you have made a mistake, as ever.
I didn’t make any mistake. The Constitution is pretty clear.
Both halves may be true, in that you may just be trolling, and the Constitution is clear, in that it.clearly states the House impeached but makes no comment or requirement as to the process the House uses to get there.
A parrot bit me.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #22743 on: October 30, 2019, 08:26:23 AM »

ALL that was accomplished

Give us a list.
Since it's a lot, it shouldn't be hard to name 3 or 5 accomplishments.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #22745 on: October 30, 2019, 08:32:50 AM »

ALL that was accomplished

Give us a list.
Since it's a lot, it shouldn't be hard to name 3 or 5 accomplishments.

Not interested in a spitting match today, thanks

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #22746 on: October 30, 2019, 10:30:12 AM »

I'd honestly be interested to know what Trump supporters think he has done well. 

Everyone seems to make general assertions these days.
(did I just do it?)
Or throw out some general disparagement.

Seems really hard to pin anyone down to specifics or details.

Otherwise Trump has really been a chaos president, causing plenty of self-inflicted distractions.  Of course impeachment investigations are inherently dangerous and distracting.  But I'd think Trump could have accomplished more if he was more disciplined, didn't have revolving secretaries, acting officials, and didn't make hasty/impulsive decisions that his advisers were against, which then took time to put out the fires.

The GOP had complete control of Congress and the WH for 2 years under Trump.  Now with a DEM House it's hard for him to get much done.  Which is maybe why he's switched to foreign policy, where a Prez can largely go it alone.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #22747 on: October 30, 2019, 11:01:52 AM »

Not really a supporter but the top two improvements have been in the VA and border security. With the troop withdrawal foreign policy is a disaster. Trickle down is always a mistake, along with trade wars and tariffs.
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

barton

« Reply #22748 on: October 30, 2019, 12:14:41 PM »

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/29/opinion/trump-zuckerberg.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

Thomas Friedman, in the Times today:

Trump, Zuckerberg & Pals Are Breaking America

I watch it all and wonder: “Are you really doing that? Do you all go home at night to some offshore island where the long-term damage you’re doing to America doesn’t matter?”

And what’s even more frightening is that there are now so many incentives in place in media and politics — from gerrymandering to unlimited campaign contributions to data systems that can ever more perfectly define us, divide us and subdivide us — to ensure that these people will keep on hammering our system until they smash it to pieces.

Look at Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg, who was questioned last Wednesday at a House hearing by Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. A.O.C. was trying to grasp why Zuckerberg thinks it’s O.K. for politicians to run political ads that contain obvious lies, as the Trump campaign has already done in a Facebook ad about Biden viewed by some five million Facebook users.

This is all about money for Zuckerberg, but he disguises his motives in some half-baked theory about freedom of the press — so half-baked that he couldn’t explain it even when he knew he would be asked about it by a congressional committee.

Paywall?  If all else fails, just switch browsers.  Most desktop devices have at least a couple.  For example, switching from Firefox to Chrome on this machine, just now, reset my counter and gave me four more free articles. 

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #22749 on: October 30, 2019, 12:17:26 PM »

More importantly, the article is greater than 280 characters.
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #22751 on: October 30, 2019, 01:34:59 PM »

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/29/opinion/trump-zuckerberg.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

Thomas Friedman, in the Times today:

Trump, Zuckerberg & Pals Are Breaking America

I watch it all and wonder: “Are you really doing that? Do you all go home at night to some offshore island where the long-term damage you’re doing to America doesn’t matter?”

And what’s even more frightening is that there are now so many incentives in place in media and politics — from gerrymandering to unlimited campaign contributions to data systems that can ever more perfectly define us, divide us and subdivide us — to ensure that these people will keep on hammering our system until they smash it to pieces.

Look at Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg, who was questioned last Wednesday at a House hearing by Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. A.O.C. was trying to grasp why Zuckerberg thinks it’s O.K. for politicians to run political ads that contain obvious lies, as the Trump campaign has already done in a Facebook ad about Biden viewed by some five million Facebook users.

This is all about money for Zuckerberg, but he disguises his motives in some half-baked theory about freedom of the press — so half-baked that he couldn’t explain it even when he knew he would be asked about it by a congressional committee.

Paywall?  If all else fails, just switch browsers.  Most desktop devices have at least a couple.  For example, switching from Firefox to Chrome on this machine, just now, reset my counter and gave me four more free articles.

Freidman was on CNN last nigth with AC, and he was legitimately pissed at the GOP in their two-faced treatment of career diplomats/military officers and their enabling of Trump's crimes. He called them cowardly, disgusting, despicable and they presented a real danger to the country.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #22752 on: October 30, 2019, 01:49:13 PM »

Not really a supporter but the top two improvements have been in the VA and border security. With the troop withdrawal foreign policy is a disaster. Trickle down is always a mistake, along with trade wars and tariffs.

Trump hasn't done much for the VA besides get some Mar-a-lago cronies involved in policy.  Moreover, he keeps taking credit for passing Veterans Choice and the associated reforms when that was passed in 2014 under Obama.  I would suspect any improvements you see now date back to then.

Border security?  Our border has become demonstrably more cruel, there is that, with further reform getting smacked down by the courts.  His principal campaign promise on that front hasn't come to fruition, and with his unable to secure real funding the best he will be able to do on the wall is build some inconsequential miles, if even that ever happens.

I think we can be thankful, bodiddley, that Trump is so inept as if his leadership was actually effective in getting things done then he would have done a whole lot more damage.  As it is, we will be paying for his putting unqualified and biased judges on the courts for decades, and have an economy put in danger by tax cuts that blew up the deficit without providing any significant bump in growth.  His tariffs may have already done irreparable damage to farmers whose customers have now found new suppliers and may stick with them in the future.  And on foreign policy North Korea has more power and profile than it did before, and Syria is a disaster, on so many levels.  The NATO alliance has never been weaker, as the play drawn up by Putin has worked to perfection.

If I had to think of something positive Trump has done...Criminal Justice Reform...that's all I got.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22753 on: October 30, 2019, 01:50:14 PM »

https://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2019-10-30/us-economy-grew-at-19-rate-in-third-quarter-slight-decrease-from-second

1.9% growth rate in the 3rd quarter.

I am sure that Ward will be along to brag about it any second now.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #22754 on: October 30, 2019, 01:51:41 PM »

https://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2019-10-30/us-economy-grew-at-19-rate-in-third-quarter-slight-decrease-from-second

1.9% growth rate in the 3rd quarter.

I am sure that Ward will be along to brag about it any second now.

Business investment, exactly what Trump's tax cuts targeted for growth, at -3.0%.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020
Pages: 1 ... 1515 1516 [1517] 1518 1519 ... 4288