Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1535 1536 [1537] 1538 1539 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1996509 times)

kiidcarter8

• View Profile

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #23041 on: November 05, 2019, 10:10:45 AM »

The US could have just told Turkey not to enter Eastern Syria.  If Trump wanted to be bold, he could have threatened Erdogan with the US would announce support for the creation of a Kurdistan if Turkey came across the border.  Basically Erdogan's qorst nightmare.  Already Iraqi Kurds operate with a high degree of autonomy and the Syrian Kurds were as well in Eastern Syria.

Good Lord.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23042 on: November 05, 2019, 10:13:22 AM »

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/05/politics/rand-paul-donald-trump-whistleblower-identity/index.html

Must just kill Democrats that while they struggle for a small piece of a select few debates to reach the populace, Trump gets to do these huge rallies ahead of elections one year ahead of his next.
No, it doesn't.
A parrot bit me.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #23043 on: November 05, 2019, 10:16:39 AM »

Must just kill Democrats that while they struggle for a small piece of a select few debates to reach the populace, Trump gets to do these huge rallies ahead of elections one year ahead of his next.

I doubt Trump is reaching beyond or extending his base with such  rallies.  They don't make much news and afterwards the media fact checks and points out all the mistakes and dumb things Trump said. 

What I do find concerning is that Trump has raised a ton of money -- who donates to a billionaire? -- while the DNC has nada.  I think Trump has $300M.  So the Dems will need to catch up on fundraising.  Actually, I'd be pretty confident Trump will lose, except for the money disparity.  Will also be interesting to see if Trump gets as much free media as he did last cycle. 
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Yankguy1

• View Profile
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #23045 on: November 05, 2019, 10:23:15 AM »

Why aren't the Kurds entitled to self-determination?
Due to some Ottoman Empire provinces and colonial map-drawing?

The Kurds are US allies, secular Muslims, and were already doing fairly well at autonomy in Iraq and Eastern Syria.  Carving out a new state would reduce Iran's influence (since we handed them control of Iraq) and diminish Assad's power.  Would likely also pressure Turkey to resume peace negotiations with their Kurds.

But was a threat Trump could have brandished.  Another would be kicking Turkey out of NATO.  I like the first, not the latter threat.  But Trump is good at unfulfilled threats and promises.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 10:25:06 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #23046 on: November 05, 2019, 10:45:56 AM »

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/05/politics/rand-paul-donald-trump-whistleblower-identity/index.html

No, it doesn't.

Agreed.  I for one couldn't be happier that he chooses to spend so much time rambling nonsensically to a crowd of adoring addle brained Trumpers rather than on the job where he might do some real damage.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #23047 on: November 05, 2019, 10:55:42 AM »

I guess you are saying rallies are off limits to independents

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23048 on: November 05, 2019, 11:02:42 AM »

I am sure both of the independents in attendance enjoyed the last one.

His rallies are almost the literal definition of preaching to the choir.
A parrot bit me.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #23049 on: November 05, 2019, 11:19:13 AM »

I am saying that if you are moved to attend a rally where you know you will be lied to while listening to a litany of grievances born of cockamamie conspiracy theories about the deep state then you aren't an independent.  Certainly true if you find any of those "arguments" convincing.

Have you actually seen a trump rally speech?  If you think that shit is normal political rhetoric meant to convince doubters, then you are only proving the point.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

oilcan

« Reply #23050 on: November 05, 2019, 11:28:22 AM »

What should "kill" everyone who loves this country is that the whistleblower, a hero whose vigilance in protecting democracy should be universally acclaimed by all patriots, must stay anonymous for fear of violent reprisal against his family and himself. 

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #23051 on: November 05, 2019, 11:28:43 AM »

Something to watch:

https://spectator.us/seven-whistleblowers-jared-kushner-bin-salman/

However many Ukraine whistleblowers there may or may not be, Cockburn’s source says that at least one of the (purported) seven has nothing to do with Ukraine at all. Instead, it’s claimed that this whistleblower reported a call between Trump and the Saudi ruler, Mohammed bin Salman. He or she is said to have had ‘concerns’ about what was said on the call about the president’s son-in-law and adviser, Jared Kushner. Kushner himself is known to have a very close relationship with MBS. Cockburn has previously written that Kushner may have been what Cosmo would call an ‘oversharer’ when it came to MBS. Unfortunately, it’s claimed that what he was sharing was American secrets: information Kushner had requested from the CIA would (allegedly) be echoed back in US intercepts of calls between members of the Saudi royal family. One source said this was why Kushner lost his intelligence clearances for a while.

According to Cockburn’s source about the seven whistleblowers, there’s more. It is that Kushner (allegedly) gave the green light to MBS to arrest the dissident journalist, Jamal Khashoggi, who was later murdered and dismembered in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul. A second source tells Cockburn that this is true and adds a crucial twist to the story. This source claims that Turkish intelligence obtained an intercept of the call between Kushner and MBS. And President Erdogan used it to get Trump to roll over and pull American troops out of northern Syria before the Turks invaded.

May be nonsense.  I'm not going to be like kiidcarter8 and post unverified garbage I find on nonsense websites like they are fact. 

But the Spectator is not a nonsense website, and this aligns with reporting we've seen elsewhere.  After Khashoggi was killed, Turkey made a lot of noise about having intelligence that proved that MBS ordered the murder that the Trump Admin seemed to largely make go away somehow.  And we know how uncomfortably tight MBS and Kushner are.

I'd file this under disgusting but unsurprising if it turns out there is some truth to this.

oilcan

« Reply #23052 on: November 05, 2019, 11:30:08 AM »

The US could have just told Turkey not to enter Eastern Syria.  If Trump wanted to be bold, he could have threatened Erdogan with the US would announce support for the creation of a Kurdistan if Turkey came across the border.  Basically Erdogan's qorst nightmare.  Already Iraqi Kurds operate with a high degree of autonomy and the Syrian Kurds were as well in Eastern Syria.

Good Lord.

Do you have a counterargument.  Or just your usual snotty posturing?

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #23053 on: November 05, 2019, 11:31:56 AM »

What should "kill" everyone who loves this country is that the whistleblower, a hero whose vigilance in protecting democracy should be universally acclaimed by all patriots, must stay anonymous for fear of violent reprisal against his family and himself.

Every claim the whistleblower made has been verified by the White House's own transcript, Trump's own inspector general, and by other sources directly involved in the events in question.  The GOP's focus on unmasking the whistleblower is about one thing: intimidating potential whistleblowers into not coming forward.  They know they are out there, and are desperate to prevent more from coming out. 

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #23054 on: November 05, 2019, 11:32:43 AM »

Good Lord.

Do you have a counterargument.  Or just your usual snotty posturing?

kiidcarter8 has read some Trump Tweets about Turkey/Syria so is now an expert in the region.
Pages: 1 ... 1535 1536 [1537] 1538 1539 ... 4288