Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1608 1609 [1610] 1611 1612 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1603673 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #24135 on: November 27, 2019, 05:13:33 PM »

A centrist moderate means you’re trying to appeal to a segment of the vote that hasn’t voted Democrat since 1964.

They voted for Humphrey and then f'ing McGovern changed the rules and it's become the free-for-all zaniness we see today.  They also voted for Carter the first time around.

I stand corrected. Not since 1976.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #24136 on: November 27, 2019, 05:17:21 PM »

I can see the case that a centrist moderate DEM could/should win.
Trump is so extreme and offensive that it should just take a competent centrist to sweep up the middle and walk away with it.

But Biden and Mayor Pete seem like the weakest options.
Biden is exactly the type of old school hack the DEMs tend to run.  A Mondale.  His candidacy seems based solely on name recognition, being a Friend of Obama, and being affable.   The gay military mayor is certainly an interesting story, but it's like Ukraine voting in a TV star who played a regular guy becoming elected president.

Uncle Joe and Mayor Pete seem like the type Trump would love to go against and steamroll.  I suppose this is exactly why Bloomberg jumped in.  He has name recognition and money, even if nobody outside NYC really knows who he is or why they've heard of him.  But it's easy to see a potential open path in the middle.  Just need Biden to slip.

It's unfortunate that Warren and Sanders are splitting the progressive vote.  If just one of them were in, they could wrap up support and money and possibly have a significant lead.

A centrist moderate who “wants to reach across the aisle to get things done” might eke out a win. Us that leaves too much room for skulduggery.

The way to victory ain’t through the old Rust Belt swings states.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #24137 on: November 27, 2019, 06:29:45 PM »

An interesting (paywall-free!) look at the great divide, as seen in microcosm at a New Jersey townhall meeting with a congresswoman....

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2019/11/27/mikie-sherrill-impeachment-tearing-apart-her-district-074097

On the shifting numbers in the Dem race...

Buttigieg keeps advancing.  The real question, for him going the distance, is to what degree the pseudo-Christians will automatically reject him (the whole living in sin with a dude thing) no matter how centrist he otherwise presents.  The moderates in that category may just decide they'd rather have a serial rapist and wife-cheater.

He’s gonna have a harder time appealing to black voters who contrary to media reports, don’t give a shit about his family. He’s got as hard a sell as Mike Bloomberg for their policies and effects of same.

Like what?
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #24138 on: November 27, 2019, 06:36:55 PM »

News Item

WASHINGTON—The U.S. economic expansion remained on solid ground as it entered the fourth quarter, although some signs pointed to weaker consumer spending this holiday season.

An initial snapshot of the year-end trends emerged Wednesday when the Commerce Department, in separate reports, said household spending picked up in October and orders for long-lasting factory goods rose—both positive signs for growth.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #24139 on: November 27, 2019, 06:41:37 PM »

An interesting (paywall-free!) look at the great divide, as seen in microcosm at a New Jersey townhall meeting with a congresswoman....

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2019/11/27/mikie-sherrill-impeachment-tearing-apart-her-district-074097

On the shifting numbers in the Dem race...

Buttigieg keeps advancing.  The real question, for him going the distance, is to what degree the pseudo-Christians will automatically reject him (the whole living in sin with a dude thing) no matter how centrist he otherwise presents.  The moderates in that category may just decide they'd rather have a serial rapist and wife-cheater.

He’s gonna have a harder time appealing to black voters who contrary to media reports, don’t give a shit about his family. He’s got as hard a sell as Mike Bloomberg for their policies and effects of same.

Like what?

Sea World trainer, the sea lion wants a fish.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star

Lyndon Johnson

barton

« Reply #24141 on: November 27, 2019, 07:02:15 PM »

Wow.   I don't use the term "evil" lightly (except when talking about our cat), but...yeah.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #24142 on: November 27, 2019, 07:31:50 PM »

Let me elaborate. A centrist moderate means you’re trying to appeal to a segment of the vote that hasn’t voted Democrat since 1964.

I believe in the free market, competition, and entrepreneurship, and think no small number of government programs don’t work as advertised” and “I reject a politics that is based solely on racial identity, gender identity, sexual orientation, or victimhood generally.”
From “ The Audacity of Hope” by Barack Obama.

Seems to me he got a lot votes as a democrat in 2008 and 2012.
Oh. And in 1992 who was it who won the presidency with lines like
” we got a find a way to create wealth, not just tax it. ?

So now who is adopting that moderate stance ? Mayor Pete and he is raking in the dough from Wall Street donors. So much so that the candidate whose political career is best known as a moderate, Cory Booker, is now sucking air because he won’t defend it.
Wall Street may  not know everything about Mayor Pete.  But all that counts now is that it is pretty clear he is not a Warren or a Sanders.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 07:34:46 PM by REDSTATEWARD »

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #24143 on: November 27, 2019, 07:34:39 PM »

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #24144 on: November 27, 2019, 08:07:55 PM »

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #24145 on: November 27, 2019, 08:34:41 PM »

Let me elaborate. A centrist moderate means you’re trying to appeal to a segment of the vote that hasn’t voted Democrat since 1964.

I believe in the free market, competition, and entrepreneurship, and think no small number of government programs don’t work as advertised” and “I reject a politics that is based solely on racial identity, gender identity, sexual orientation, or victimhood generally.”

So now who is adopting that moderate stance ? Mayor Pete and he is raking in the dough from Wall Street donors. So much so that the candidate whose political career is best known as a moderate, Cory Booker, is now sucking air because he won’t defend it.
Wall Street may  not know everything about Mayor Pete.  But all that counts now is that it is pretty clear he is not a Warren or a Sanders.

Yeah. So?

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #24146 on: November 27, 2019, 08:40:35 PM »

This is just fucking evil.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2019/11/27/ice-arrested-250-foreign-students-fake-university-metro-detroit/4277686002/

Abolish ICE

Fucking clown.

Have a good holiday/  Be thankful you live in such a great nation.

Yeah.

“I love America more than any other country in this world, and, exactly for this reason, I insist on the right to criticize her perpetually.”

— James Baldwin

And fuck anyone who still supports this EVIL.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/family-separations-zero-tolerance-policy-us-planned-to-separate-more-than-26000-migrant-families-2019-11-27/

Lyndon Johnson

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #24147 on: November 27, 2019, 08:42:59 PM »

Yeah. So?
I think you don’t know your own party.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #24148 on: November 27, 2019, 10:26:39 PM »

Yeah. So?

I know it a lot better than you. I know the GOP better, too.

Lyndon Johnson

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #24149 on: November 27, 2019, 10:40:46 PM »

Yeah. So?

I know it a lot better than you. I know the GOP better, too.
If so how could you possibly argue that

« Reply #24095 on: Today at 07:31:50 PM »
ReplyQuoteModifyModifyRemoveRemove
Quote from: LarryBnDC on Today at 01:38:19 PM

?
Pages: 1 ... 1608 1609 [1610] 1611 1612 ... 4288