Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1609 1610 [1611] 1612 1613 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1584872 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #24150 on: November 27, 2019, 11:04:11 PM »

Let me elaborate. A centrist moderate means you’re trying to appeal to a segment of the vote that hasn’t voted Democrat since 1964.

I believe in the free market, competition, and entrepreneurship, and think no small number of government programs don’t work as advertised” and “I reject a politics that is based solely on racial identity, gender identity, sexual orientation, or victimhood generally.”
From “ The Audacity of Hope” by Barack Obama.

Seems to me he got a lot votes as a democrat in 2008 and 2012.
Oh. And in 1992 who was it who won the presidency with lines like
” we got a find a way to create wealth, not just tax it. ?

So now who is adopting that moderate stance ? Mayor Pete and he is raking in the dough from Wall Street donors. So much so that the candidate whose political career is best known as a moderate, Cory Booker, is now sucking air because he won’t defend it.
Wall Street may  not know everything about Mayor Pete.  But all that counts now is that it is pretty clear he is not a Warren or a Sanders.

Yeah. So?
I think you don’t know your own party.

I know it a lot better than you. I know the GOP better, too.
If so how could you possibly argue that

« Reply #24095 on: Today at 07:31:50 PM »
ReplyQuoteModifyModifyRemoveRemove
Quote from: LarryBnDC on Today at 01:38:19 PM
Let me elaborate. A centrist moderate means you’re trying to appeal to a segment of the vote that hasn’t voted Democrat since 1964.

?

Facts...
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24152 on: November 28, 2019, 01:01:19 AM »

Trump contradicts testimony -- and himself -- by claiming he never directed Giuliani on Ukrainee...
~CNN

Meanwhile... while it might not be a lot to the Donald, it is to Giuliani and to Parnas, and that $500k figure keeps turning up.

Rudy Giuliani said Wednesday he was in talks earlier this year to earn hundreds of thousands of dollars from Ukrainian government officials but decided against it as he pushed the country to pursue investigations sought by his client, President Trump.
~WSJ

These are on the heels of:
A family trust that lent money to an indicted associate of Rudy Giuliani is trying to recover more than $500,000 from the defendant and a political action committee tied to President Donald Trump to which he contributed hundreds of thousands of dollars.
~Finance

and from a few weeks ago
Giuliani has admitted Parnas’ company, Fraud Guarantee, used Giuliani Partners for security-consulting services in August 2018. Giuliani told Reuters that Parnas’ firm paid his company a total of $500,000 for what Giuliani said was for business and legal advice.

~Daily Beast, among others
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24153 on: November 28, 2019, 01:07:08 AM »

Also:

More of Trump's conspiracy theories debunked:
FBI did not try to place undercover agents inside Trump campaign, DOJ inspector general's report expected to find
https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/27/politics/fbi-ig-report-no-spying-trump/index.html

and
DOJ watchdog report expected to say FBI's Russia probe launched properly but lower-level employees made mistakes
The report is also expected to conclude that Page was appropriately targeted for surveillance and that the FBI appropriately disassociated itself from Christopher Steele, the former British spy and author of the infamous "Steele Dossier" about President Donald Trump, after leaks and contacts with the media were uncovered.
People familiar with the report told the Times that while it characterizes the pursuit of the FISA request as careless and slapdash, the report discredits major conspiracy theories that Trump has advanced about the investigation -- finding, for example, that the FBI met the legal evidence threshold to open the probe.

Notably, the people said that Justice Department Inspector General Michael Horowitz did not find evidence of politically motivated actions by former FBI Director Jim Comey, subsequent acting Director Andrew McCabe -- now a CNN analyst -- or former senior official Peter Strzok, who was removed from special counsel Robert Mueller's team after an internal investigation revealed text exchanges that could be read as exhibiting political bias.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24154 on: November 28, 2019, 01:10:40 AM »

And this:
President Donald Trump's personal lawyer Rudy Giuliani says he met with a lawyer for oligarch Dmitry Firtash after originally telling CNN in October that "I have nothing to do with Firtash."

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24155 on: November 28, 2019, 03:15:15 AM »

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/nov/27/gerrymandering-michigan-citizens-voters-not-politicians

America is rolling back the fake districts set up by and for fake politicians in the republican criminal syndicate.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24156 on: November 28, 2019, 03:52:09 AM »

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/27/politics/pentagon-concern-trump-decision-making/index.html

Faaaaaaaake newsssss....

Hey Kiid, your congenital defects are showing.

Be thankful you are in a country that is so much better than you can ever hope to be.

I’m thankful there will be nobody to carry forward you depraved idiocy when you’re gone.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #24157 on: November 28, 2019, 06:55:17 AM »

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/27/politics/pentagon-concern-trump-decision-making/index.html
Faaaaaaaake newsssss....

Just putting a silly label on something and dismissing it isn't very intelligent.

Let's see.  There's a genuine news story about the head of the Navy being fired and then blasting the President.  This actually happened and is newsworthy.  It's not hard to find other military leaders who don't like Trump thwarting military justice, or his implusive decion-making.   Pretty standard reporting.

Basically Fake News has become anything Trump doesn't like or disagrees with.  And somehow the Fox Propaganda Network is held up as truthful and honest.  It's worrisome when people actually invert the truth and present hot as cold or black as white. This seems to be a Trump/GOP specialty.

I think my recent favorite example is Rudy running around saying that he's the genuine Ukraine whistlebower, and the GOP talking about outing the "so-called whisteblower" so they can slime him.

Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #24158 on: November 28, 2019, 08:56:03 AM »

I hope you realize that while everything you write in that post is letter perfect and 100 % correct it's going to fall on blind eyes when it comes to Kid.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 10:31:25 AM by Yankguy1 »
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #24159 on: November 28, 2019, 08:58:33 AM »

Faaaaaaaake newsssss....

Hey Kiid, your congenital defects are showing.

Be thankful you are in a country that is so much better than you can ever hope to be.

I’m thankful there will be nobody to carry forward you depraved idiocy when you’re gone.

I dunno. He has offspring.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #24160 on: November 28, 2019, 10:01:42 AM »

Maybe I should be more clear:
Putting a negative label on something to dismiss it is useless, and the kind of thing stupid people do.

I find it infuriating the past decade or so, when people just make assertions with no backup facts.  Obama is ruining the country!
Trump is making America great again.  The impeachment investigation is a sham!

There's no argument, no facts, no why.  Just a bald assertion and they're done.  Just repeat a talking point or slogan you've heard, and walk away ignorantly.  It's like thinking for dummies.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #24161 on: November 28, 2019, 10:03:18 AM »

Still waiting to hear why the impeachment hearings are a sham?
and
Why the CNN article about the military being uncomfortable with Trump is fake info.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

barton

« Reply #24162 on: November 28, 2019, 11:56:49 AM »

Maybe I should be more clear:
Putting a negative label on something to dismiss it is useless, and the kind of thing stupid people do.

I find it infuriating the past decade or so, when people just make assertions with no backup facts.  Obama is ruining the country!
Trump is making America great again.  The impeachment investigation is a sham!

There's no argument, no facts, no why.  Just a bald assertion and they're done.  Just repeat a talking point or slogan you've heard, and walk away ignorantly.  It's like thinking for dummies.

Social media have contributed to this kind of cognitive approach.   People can tell themselves that slogans and TPs and "memes" are pithy and even "Zen" and feel connected to a group.  Facts and evaluation of evidence and careful analysis is for wonks and eggheads.   People love having the notion reinforced that their gut knows things.  (when all guts do is produce shit)

Some writer for The Independent or The Guardian (well, some Limey rag) created the term "Post-Truth Era."   It's never clearer what that means than when you're surfing the Net. 

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #24163 on: November 28, 2019, 03:06:12 PM »

Hey, she's Australian...she did wrong on the flight...she stood before the US court for sentencing...was sentenced.
She has a valid visa...What's ICE think it's doing!

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/sudanese-australian-model-25-who-avoided-jail-in-the-us-over-a-racist-plane-rampage-and-drunken-attack-on-a-flight-attendant-is-arrested-again-and-locked-up-indefinitely-without-a-trial/ar-BBXtmch?li=AAgfYrC&OCID=AVRES000

Photo; valid visa.

July 15: The model is sentenced to 3 years probation and 100 hours of community service

September 17: The 25-year-old is arrested and locked up by US Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials

The GoFundMe page claims ICE agents revoked Mornyang's visa without telling her as pay back for her avoiding a prison sentence.

'This no-jail outcome must've infuriated ICE officials who proceeded (without Adau's knowledge) to revoke her valid visa and subsequently arrested her for being in the country illegally,' Maria wrote.

'Meanwhile, a judge never ordered that Adau should leave the country. My sister has been in jail for over two months, she's not been given any trial since arrest by ICE nor found guilty of overstaying her visa, just kept in jail indefinitely.'

#####

Not very nice....thought that only happened in places like Nth Korea and Communist China.
An Aussie with a valid visa too.

ICE can cancel valid visas and lock people up without trial?

« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 03:10:17 PM by bambu. »
Go woke, go broke.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #24164 on: November 28, 2019, 03:25:47 PM »

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/sudanese-australian-model-25-who-avoided-jail-in-the-us-over-a-racist-plane-rampage-and-drunken-attack-on-a-flight-attendant-is-arrested-again-and-locked-up-indefinitely-without-a-trial/ar-BBXtmch?li=AAgfYrC&OCID=AVRES000

A Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade spokesperson confirmed to Daily Mail Australia the department is assisting an Australian being held in US detention.
'The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade is providing consular assistance to an Australian detained in the US. Owing to our privacy obligations we will not provide further comment,' a spokesman said.

#####

DFAT,,,consular assistance.
Maybe something good can be worked out.

A young Aussie woman, banged up in a US prison indefinitely, … nailed to the cross of injustice.

I can see it now..."Schapelle Corby Mk11".

"What are the conditions like"?
"What are they feeding her"?
"What are they giving her to wear"?
"Is she locked up in dark solitary"?
etc

Shouldn't be too long before this becomes an "international incident".

Go woke, go broke.
Pages: 1 ... 1609 1610 [1611] 1612 1613 ... 4288