Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1629 1630 [1631] 1632 1633 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1583476 times)

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #24450 on: December 04, 2019, 12:24:17 PM »

LOL!!
Booker must not pay attention to voting trends. Ron DeSantis won the Florida Governor’s race by backing school choice which attracted a lot of votes from black women which helped considerably in a close race.  Booker not only won’t stand up for what he once won elections on he meekly genuflects in front of the AOC wing of the party.

LOL!!

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/18/opinion/cory-booker-public-charter-schools.html

REDSTATEWARD: I read one article on a subject now everyone else must be stupid and not paying attention if they don't agree with it. 

But then as soon as he tries to go off the copy and pasted material he reveals how little he knows.  About anything.

"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

oilcan

« Reply #24451 on: December 04, 2019, 12:35:59 PM »

So, what is it you wish to get from all this?  And what would be the minimum acceptable?

Adam Schiff was asked about alternatives to impeachment, like censure.  He had a reasonable reply: 

"[If the GOP does not act on impeachable offenses] they must be willing to accept that fact that when there's a Democratic president that they believe is engaged in any presidential misconduct, they will be powerless to find out."  See, Kid, because then any president in the future can cite the Trump administration as a basis for their actions and what they can get away with. 

So what people of conscience, who love our democracy, want is simple:  to ensure that all future presidents continue to have a check on unlawful and improper conduct. 

And there are impeachable offenses.  New evidence every day further supports the testimony given to the House Intel Committee.  Like the NYT story yesterday that reported that Ukraine top officials knew that the military aid was being suspended as early as July.  Every time we learn something new, it adds more context to the HIC testimony. 

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #24452 on: December 04, 2019, 12:38:24 PM »

Why does Ms Warren say student loan debt especially crushes people of color?

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #24453 on: December 04, 2019, 12:40:04 PM »

"[If the GOP does not act on impeachable offenses] they must be willing to accept that fact that when there's a Democratic president that they believe is engaged in any presidential misconduct, they will be powerless to find out."  See, Kid, because then any president in the future can cite the Trump administration as a basis for their actions and what they can get away with.

I think you have it backwards, pal.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #24454 on: December 04, 2019, 12:42:04 PM »

Do you think the simple withholding of the aid is impeachable, oilcan?

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #24455 on: December 04, 2019, 12:56:20 PM »

LOL!!
Booker must not pay attention to voting trends. Ron DeSantis won the Florida Governor’s race by backing school choice which attracted a lot of votes from black women which helped considerably in a close race.  Booker not only won’t stand up for what he once won elections on he meekly genuflects in front of the AOC wing of the party.

LOL!!

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/18/opinion/cory-booker-public-charter-schools.html

REDSTATEWARD: I read one article on a subject now everyone else must be stupid and not paying attention if they don't agree with it. 

But then as soon as he tries to go off the copy and pasted material he reveals how little he knows.  About anything.
Really?
What are Booker’s poll numbers?
And just what does he stand for?
Obviously not much. A message from the Gray Lady to lay off vouchers  and he  folds?
His embarrassing performance at the SCOTUS hearings?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 01:29:15 PM by REDSTATEWARD »

oilcan

« Reply #24456 on: December 04, 2019, 01:04:10 PM »

Yes.  Of course. This has all been adequately demonstrated and explained here.  Just try and imagine how you would respond if Obama had withheld aid from an ally, struggling to fend off Russian incursion, in order to get them to supply dirt on Mitt Romney?  And then instructed officials to refuse to release pertinent documents, in order to cover up his actions?  If you wish to reduce the bias and prejudice in the world, you must start with your own self.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #24457 on: December 04, 2019, 01:05:38 PM »

heh

Chick wants a free ride on her college expenses.

And the already wealthy want more tax cuts.

And corporations want to pay less in regulations.

And GOP donors give money to campaigns because they want (and receive) $400 Million border contracts.

But when black folk favor a candidate that would benefit them financially, that can be dismissed as invalid.

So you favor all college debt being forgiven?  Who the fuck do you think you are?

It would to the economy in a very big way.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

oilcan

« Reply #24458 on: December 04, 2019, 01:06:49 PM »

Really?
What are Booker’s poll numbers?
And just what does he stand for?
Obviously not much. A message from the Gray Lady to lay off vouchers  and folds?
His embarrassing performance at the SCTUS hearings?

Wow, Red, you are working so hard to try and distract us from what all those legal experts said today before HJC, and the NYT report yesterday on Ukraine officials, and from all the other nasty stuff the GOP is up to!  Do you feel sad that it doesn't work here? 

oilcan

« Reply #24459 on: December 04, 2019, 01:12:28 PM »

I mean, Booker wanted to get some visibility, but he's never been all that much of a contender - mayors rarely get far when they go direct to running for POTUS.  I doubt even Bloomberg, though his city is nearly nation-sized in people, and though he's got billions, will get that far.  I like that Cory said he was big on affordable housing and had some cool ideas for it, but pretty much anyone who's been a mayor rubs up against the affordable housing issue in a close and personal way, so that's just a given.  Mayors are probably the real frontline when it comes to battling wrestling with developers and NIMBY snobs who have no interest in real affordable housing.  When it comes to housing, that old phrase "all politics is local," really resonates. 

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #24460 on: December 04, 2019, 01:14:42 PM »

Yes.  Of course. This has all been adequately demonstrated and explained here.  Just try and imagine how you would respond if Obama had withheld aid from an ally, struggling to fend off Russian incursion, in order to get them to supply dirt on Mitt Romney?  And then instructed officials to refuse to release pertinent documents, in order to cover up his actions?  If you wish to reduce the bias and prejudice in the world, you must start with your own self.
Even more to the point, I would think that  "simple withholding" of aid approved by Congress would be a clear violation of the President's duty to faithfully execute the laws. 
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #24461 on: December 04, 2019, 01:18:11 PM »

I mean, Booker wanted to get some visibility, but he's never been all that much of a contender - mayors rarely get far when they go direct to running for POTUS.  I doubt even Bloomberg, though his city is nearly nation-sized in people, and though he's got billions, will get that far.  I like that Cory said he was big on affordable housing and had some cool ideas for it, but pretty much anyone who's been a mayor rubs up against the affordable housing issue in a close and personal way, so that's just a given.  Mayors are probably the real frontline when it comes to battling wrestling with developers and NIMBY snobs who have no interest in real affordable housing.  When it comes to housing, that old phrase "all politics is local," really resonates.

Booker has been a US Senator for a bit...
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #24462 on: December 04, 2019, 01:19:10 PM »

Gerhart is mistaken.  He says all impeached officials have not gotten what they wanted - they have been caught.  Not so with Johnson, I dont believe.
His name is Gerhardt. 
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #24463 on: December 04, 2019, 01:19:41 PM »

I’m watching this hearing and I ask Red and kiid,

How much of your civilization are you willing to burn today for the sake of white supremacy and this one corrupt white man named Trump?

Lyndon Johnson

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #24464 on: December 04, 2019, 01:24:31 PM »

Even more to the point, I would think that  "simple withholding" of aid approved by Congress would be a clear violation of the President's duty to faithfully execute the laws.

Even more more to the point, Trump's actions are impeachable before even getting into the aid.  Pressuring a foreign government to interfere in the 2020 election is clear abuse of power.  Withholding normal relations and a White House visit until they perform specific acts that constitute said interference is Quid Pro Quo/Extortion.  Covering up the actions that pointed to the above Obstruction of Justice.

That aid to an ally at war voted on by both Republicans and Democrats in Congress was involved in that extortion attempt ma make the action only more egregious, but the impeachment bar has already been cleared.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020
Pages: 1 ... 1629 1630 [1631] 1632 1633 ... 4288