Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1634 1635 [1636] 1637 1638 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1583796 times)

bambu.

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #24525 on: December 04, 2019, 11:03:23 PM »

https://www.democracynow.org/2019/11/25/headlines/coal_industry_knew_burning_fossil_fuels_causes_climate_change_as_early_as_1966?fbclid=IwAR2eDF-zHAtKv2UsB6QAKnzzNqXdBwj20bB0lMVzVdG-uC34yombrel3uS8

Kid and Bambu still don't accept man-made climate change. Ward still thinks it can be responded to by half-measures.

The globe heats, and cools, all by itself.
The glaciers started melting 15,000 years ago.
Once upon a time you could walk from India to Australia, then the seas rose and flooded the land bridge.

CO2 is 0.04% of the atmosphere.
97% of CO2 in the atmosphere occurs naturally.

I'm keeping my old [looks new] Corolla.

The glaciers suddenly accelerated, melting as much as they did in thousands of years, in the space of a century.   This is due to the rise from 280 ppm CO2 to 410 ppm in that short period, a change unprecedented in the planets history which has caused a rise in average global temperature that normally, in an interglacial period, would take thousands of years.   The evidence is so glaring that you need welding goggles to look at it, you incredible fucking imbecile.   

The increase in CO2 would actually be much higher, except that oceans absorb some of what we human make, and grow more acid.   Which kills parts of them.   You incredible fucking imbecile.

• The Earth is heated by the flux of energy it receives from the Sun, and cools down by emitting infrared radiation to space.

#####

Simple really, no degree from Harvard needed for this one either.
Go woke, go broke.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #24526 on: December 05, 2019, 12:10:04 AM »

https://www.democracynow.org/2019/11/25/headlines/coal_industry_knew_burning_fossil_fuels_causes_climate_change_as_early_as_1966?fbclid=IwAR2eDF-zHAtKv2UsB6QAKnzzNqXdBwj20bB0lMVzVdG-uC34yombrel3uS8

Kid and Bambu still don't accept man-made climate change. Ward still thinks it can be responded to by half-measures.

Once upon a time you could walk from India to Australia, then the seas rose and flooded the land bridge.

The glaciers suddenly accelerated, melting as much as they did in thousands of years, in the space of a century.   This is due to the rise from 280 ppm CO2 to 410 ppm in that short period, a change unprecedented in the planets history which has caused a rise in average global temperature that normally, in an interglacial period, would take thousands of years.   The evidence is so glaring that you need welding goggles to look at it, you incredible fucking imbecile.   

The increase in CO2 would actually be much higher, except that oceans absorb some of what we human make, and grow more acid.   Which kills parts of them.   You incredible fucking imbecile.

• The Earth is heated by the flux of energy it receives from the Sun, and cools down by emitting infrared radiation to space.

#####

You’d have much more realistic view of the world if you pulled your head out of your ass.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #24528 on: December 05, 2019, 03:50:41 AM »

Booker was mayor of Newark for eight years.  The Senate seat he won became available when Lautenberg died.  Sure, Lautenberg was old but before Menendez's probable corruption surfaced, I don't know that Senate was the obvious path for him given those two were immovables.

Despite the possibility of a Dem senator staying in power in NJ long-term, there has been a lot of churn.  Torricelli a was a rising DEM star, and big fundraising champ, then got caught in a money scandal.  Retired Lautenberg was a very last-minute replacement when Torch pulled out real late during his 2002 re-election run.  Corzine looked to have the personal finances to stick as long as he wanted, became bored as a US Senator (1 of 100) and unusually resigned to run for and become Gov of NJ.

As I recall, Booker was itching to jump in to Lautenberg's 2008 Senate reelection race and nearly did, but had only been Mayor of Newark for 2 years at that time.  And then when Obama romped to Free World Leader, the Booker people kind of kicked themselves for not jumping in early (as Obama had done).

Booker is/was ambitious, yes.  He never planned on his political career ending in Newark. Given his friendship with Christie, I bet Governor was the plan if there was one.

Having missed/skipped the early chance in 2008, Booker gained experience and publicity as Newark mayor.  There was some talk/thought of challenging Christie for the governorship, instead of waiting for Old Lautenberg's 6 year term to expire.  But the NJ Guvship is often a morass.  It's one of the more powerful Guv offices in the Union, but the Dem controlled state congress often fights among itself, and there are multiple layers of corruption to navigate.  Usually GOPers like Christie (and Christie Whitman) get elected Gov after Dem Govs go down in corruption flames**.  Besides Booker didn't want to risk losing to Christie which would be a significant set-back.

Booker didn't want to upset NJ Dems by running against Menendez in 2012, and would have to just wait 2 years for 88 year old Lautenberg's term to be up.  So Book waited his turn and was rewarded.

Simply Booker was always looking at the NJ Senate seat.  The 2008 timing seemed too soon, and then they kicked themselves for not catching the Obama wave.  Then Book bided his time as Mayor, gave some thought to a Guv race, and went after the first open Senate race when Lautenberg dropped dead.  But that special election was only a year before Lautenberg's full term was up, and he wasn't running again. 

One fact of NJ politics is that it is a very expensive state to run in.  Partly because NJ is expensive for everything (with probably built-in mob and/or union costs), but mostly due to the need for TV buys in two expensive media markets in NYC & Philly.  This means that you either need a self-funding rich guy (Corzine) or firm support from the party and traditional donors.  So the Dem party has a good deal of control over who runs and when.  (The GOP hasn't won a Senate seat in NJ since the The Nixon Era, when Clifford Case won his 4th term in 1972).

** when the Gov. McGreevey scandals went down, most news articles would refer to NJ as some version of "the most corrupt state in the nation, except for Louisiana."  Though Illinois had an impressive string of Governors going to the slammer, I think the best they could do was perhaps 3rd.

Menendez was indicted in an illegal campaign scandal involving a Florida dentist and underage prostitutes in Dominican Rep, but was acquitted and brazened things out, winning reelection while under indictment in 2018.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #24529 on: December 05, 2019, 03:54:44 AM »

Don Jr prepping for '24.  Jared not ready quite yet.

That's some funny stuff ...
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #24530 on: December 05, 2019, 04:07:54 AM »

Zimmerman [Trayvon Martin death]…

Attorney Larry Klayman ...
Puke.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #24531 on: December 05, 2019, 04:32:15 AM »

#####

You’d have much more realistic view of the world if you pulled your head out of your ass.

I have a very realistic view of the world.

The Real World;

Just saw bad haircut boy in NK riding a large and fine looking white horse...said he has a Christmas present for Trump.
Think it's more likely to be missile than mistletoe.

I see people living on garbage dumps in Asia.

I see White males being stitched up with drugs in Asia, and ending up on death row.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/816589.stm

2000AD

___

I see how working poor/homeless people like Maria live in America.
Divorce...no more nice house to live in, so off to the carpark to live in your car you go.
America great again, the economy is booming...40 million are living below the poverty line.
Field hospitals in destitute America.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHDkALRz5Rk

____

Drove downtown Birmingham Alabama the other day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6areTffnOs

______

I see what can happen to elderly people in retirement communities in Australia...in broad daylight!

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/man-charged-with-attempted-murder-after-elderly-woman-bashed/news-story/20b71d3db96247aa64eb8ca52028a907

A man tried to kill a great-grandmother by strangling her before stealing her two gold rings, police allege.
Peter Thao Vinh Phu Bui appeared in court on Thursday morning charged with the attempted murder of 84-year-old Patricia Maton in her North Turramurra retirement village unit.
The incident on November 16 shocked Sydney and Ms Maton was left with a fractured nose, bleeding to her brain and multiple cuts and bruises.
She is still recovering from the ordeal.

No gun strapped on ready to fire...no hope, bashed to a pulp.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 04:40:20 AM by bambu. »
Go woke, go broke.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #24532 on: December 05, 2019, 05:13:52 AM »

#####

I have a very realistic view of the world.

The Real World;

Just saw bad haircut boy in NK riding a large and fine looking white horse...said he has a Christmas present for Trump.
Think it's more likely to be missile than mistletoe.

I see people living on garbage dumps in Asia.

I see White males being stitched up with drugs in Asia, and ending up on death row.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/816589.stm

2000AD

___

I see how working poor/homeless people like Maria live in America.
Divorce...no more nice house to live in, so off to the carpark to live in your car you go.
America great again, the economy is booming...40 million are living below the poverty line.
Field hospitals in destitute America.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHDkALRz5Rk

____

Drove downtown Birmingham Alabama the other day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6areTffnOs

______

I see what can happen to elderly people in retirement communities in Australia...in broad daylight!

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/man-charged-with-attempted-murder-after-elderly-woman-bashed/news-story/20b71d3db96247aa64eb8ca52028a907

A man tried to kill a great-grandmother by strangling her before stealing her two gold rings, police allege.
Peter Thao Vinh Phu Bui appeared in court on Thursday morning charged with the attempted murder of 84-year-old Patricia Maton in her North Turramurra retirement village unit.
The incident on November 16 shocked Sydney and Ms Maton was left with a fractured nose, bleeding to her brain and multiple cuts and bruises.
She is still recovering from the ordeal.

No gun strapped on ready to fire...no hope, bashed to a pulp.

On second thought shove it further in...
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24533 on: December 05, 2019, 07:42:44 AM »

#####

Yes, but how would he eat?
The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice with the palace has the brew that is true!

barton

« Reply #24534 on: December 05, 2019, 09:46:39 AM »

#####

Sunlight heats ground.   Heat, longwave radiation, then radiates back to space.  A pure nitrogen and oxygen atmosphere would let all that IR radiation pass through.  Some molecules, however, like nitrogen oxide, methane, and CO2, absorb longwave photons and increase their rate of vibration.   This increase in kinetic energy is called "heat"  -- those molecules are thus retaining energy that would otherwise escape into space.  As these molecules are singularly good at trapping heat, they cause a rise in near-surface temperatures when their concentrations go up.   Basic physics and chemistry.  High school students do basic experiments, like Tyndall's 1859 experiment that easily demonstrate this effect.   

The last 150 years of science have advanced our knowledge of how this works, as well as proved other principles on which you daily assert your unquestioning faith when you step aboard a jet, take a pill, drive a car, flip on your tv, log onto the Net, etc.   Why then does this basic 19th century science pose such a problem?

Because people are lying to you, by misrepresenting science and its findings.

You incredible fucking imbecile.

barton

« Reply #24535 on: December 05, 2019, 09:57:55 AM »

favorite headline at apnews.com this morning...

North Korea threatens to resume calling Trump ‘dotard’ 

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #24536 on: December 05, 2019, 10:44:50 AM »

So every country in the world understands and believes in climate change.  Almost every credible scientist is convinced as well.
But one political party in the US, supported by religious folk who don't go in for science and Big Oil and other major polluters, doesn't buy it.

So which is more likely: that the entire world, nearly 200 countries and 7 billion people, plus all the world's scientists are mistaken or have been duped.  Or that right-wing folks in the US believe climate change is a hoax because it conflicts with their religious views or their source of income (or because the party they support denies climate change mostly for those two reasons)?

This is a serious legit question.

Furthermore, taking action now to reduce greenhouse gasses will still reduce pollution and have vast health benefits even if manmade climate change somehow is wrong or irreversible.  While not fending off rising temperatures and extreme climate events will result in many heavily populated areas being inundated, along with increased natural disasters and probable disruptions to food production.

The supposed economic downside to reducing greenhouse gasses and witching off of fossil fuels are likely more than offset by the new green jobs created, the health benefits of breathing clean air, along with the reduction in petroleum spills and accidents (bet ya a pipeline somewhere leaked today!)
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #24537 on: December 05, 2019, 10:51:05 AM »

So every country in the world understands and believes in climate change.  Almost every credible scientist is convinced as well.
LOL! That’s a good one.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 11:36:42 AM by REDSTATEWARD »

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #24538 on: December 05, 2019, 11:34:50 AM »

Red can't format.
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #24539 on: December 05, 2019, 11:51:36 AM »

Watching the “fuck your feelings” crowd who called everyone ‘snowflakes’ collapsing into quivering mounds of jello because a law professor mentioned Trump’s kid by name is precious.

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 1634 1635 [1636] 1637 1638 ... 4288