Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1640 1641 [1642] 1643 1644 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1599886 times)

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #24615 on: December 06, 2019, 10:12:52 AM »

At least kiid seems to have dropped the phony pretense that he isn't a Trump supporter.

(I meant now/the past two years, not the last election)
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #24616 on: December 06, 2019, 10:14:27 AM »

Nancy probably prays for Trump ... to be a better person, to stop obstructing justice, to act presidential, to see the error of his ways, etc.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

barton

« Reply #24617 on: December 06, 2019, 10:23:15 AM »

Wages advanced 3.1% from a year earlier.   

And COL est. rise was 2.8%.

Which means we continue to have wages such that many workers cannot afford a home, some have to live in a relative's basement, some in a camper, some in the back of a car, or commute from a cheaper small town two hours away.   The gap between wealth and poverty continues to grow.   Massive student debt traps many.   Elected officials loyal to rich corporate donors and billionaires continue to erode the power of unions.   New innovation-based industries that could help clean up our air, water, and soil continue to be suppressed by a corrupt political structure that thinks it's 1954.   Schools cut back on extracurriculars and electives that help a well rounded education (music, science and math clubs, drama, chorus, classics, etc.) because taxation is painted as evil and hey I got mine fuck the kids.   Congratulations on your tax break.

barton

« Reply #24618 on: December 06, 2019, 10:26:01 AM »

At least kiid seems to have dropped the phony pretense that he isn't a Trump supporter.

The pretense will return if Trump is led away in handcuffs.   

Or if he shoots someone on 5th Avenue that Kid likes.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #24619 on: December 06, 2019, 11:32:25 AM »

Wages advanced 3.1% from a year earlier.   

And COL est. rise was 2.8%.

Which means we continue to have wages such that many workers cannot afford a home, some have to live in a relative's basement, some in a camper, some in the back of a car, or commute from a cheaper small town two hours away.   The gap between wealth and poverty continues to grow.   Massive student debt traps many.   Elected officials loyal to rich corporate donors and billionaires continue to erode the power of unions.   New innovation-based industries that could help clean up our air, water, and soil continue to be suppressed by a corrupt political structure that thinks it's 1954.   Schools cut back on extracurriculars and electives that help a well rounded education (music, science and math clubs, drama, chorus, classics, etc.) because taxation is painted as evil and hey I got mine fuck the kids.   Congratulations on your tax break.
LOL.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #24620 on: December 06, 2019, 11:43:26 AM »

LOL is thinking 3% wage increases are something to brag about when we are at full employment.

And missed your post noting that consumer confidence dropped for the fourth month in a row when those numbers came out a few days ago.  Sure you were going to get to that.

Still, good jobs numbers out today.  If Trump continues to come up only just short of what Obama accomplished, he may just get reelected. 
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #24621 on: December 06, 2019, 11:46:25 AM »

I don't know.  For some having a White Nationalist as "president" is a dream come true, and I can easily imagine toddlercarter8 still holding a candle for the man when he is behind bars.

And of course, according to him, his son will be on deck in 2024!  No clearer indication that the toddler is drinking the Trump Kool-Aid.  I mean, have you read "Triggered?"  Surely he's qualified for the highest office in the world.  No need to, say, set his sights on a governorship first.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

oilcan

« Reply #24622 on: December 06, 2019, 01:30:28 PM »

Still, economic growth has decelerated. GDP growth in the third quarter barely topped 2%, and it's expected to slow further in last three months of the year.

Factories in Michigan lost more than 4,000 jobs in the first nine months of the year. (This excludes October, when jobs were temporarily lost to the UAW strike at General Motors.) Wisconsin factories lost more than 7,000 jobs. And Pennsylvania suffered the nation's biggest factory job losses with 7,400.

ACF Industries announced in November that it was cutting 148 jobs at its train car factory in Milton, Pa.

"They want everybody out by the end of the year," employee James Dolan told WNEP-TV in Scranton. "I feel sorry for the guys in their 50s where they have to find something else."

Factories — many of which depend on global supply chains and healthy export markets — are particularly vulnerable to the trade war. The much larger services sector — including restaurants and hospitals, which cater to local customers — is more insulated. Services accounted for the bulk of the new jobs in November, with 206,000 added.

The other big weak spot is farming, which has suffered a one-two punch of bad weather, which makes it hard to grow crops, and tariffs, which make it hard to sell what you do grow. In the 12 months ending in September, farm bankruptcies jumped 24%, to their highest level since 2011.

Just to add a little more balance to Red's single-indicator obsession.  And keep in mind that factory jobs tend to be higher paying than service jobs, and in their communities factory jobs are estimated to create 4-7 jobs from the ripple effect.  Hurting manufacturers, while shoveling money onto Wall St. traders and fund managers, is not a good longterm approach.
And hurting farmers, of course, guts the rural communities that largely voted for Trump.  When a farm family that's been on a piece of land for many generations has to sell off, what do we lose?  Real stewardship of that land, by people who have the experience of several generations in figuring out what works and what doesn't with that piece of land, and a clear understanding of what's needed to keep that farm going for future generations, rather than just reaping some fast profits to please the shareholders of a corporate ag behemoth. 

oilcan

« Reply #24623 on: December 06, 2019, 01:36:23 PM »

I don't know.  For some having a White Nationalist as "president" is a dream come true, and I can easily imagine toddlercarter8 still holding a candle for the man when he is behind bars.

And of course, according to him, his son will be on deck in 2024!  No clearer indication that the toddler is drinking the Trump Kool-Aid.  I mean, have you read "Triggered?"  Surely he's qualified for the highest office in the world.  No need to, say, set his sights on a governorship first.

Really, I don't think Kid drank the white nationalist koolaid.  I think he drank Trump's rendition of economics, foreign policy strongman (haha), and grabbing all those elite women by their ponytails and telling them what Christians like Kid have decided they need to do with their bodies.  Notice that he refers to one of the law professors testifying this week as "girly."  All you need to know. 

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #24624 on: December 06, 2019, 02:10:54 PM »

Really, I don't think Kid drank the white nationalist koolaid.

I am not one to debate other posters opinions when they can chime in themselves.  And the toddler isn’t necessarily worth the time. 

But we are talking about someone who has quoted from White Nationalist websites and forums here, parrots Trump’s racist rhetoric re: immigrants and crime and the Angel Moms bullshit, and just earlier this week said that if not for our dedication to the country being a “melting pot” we would not have Trump as “president.”

Labels can be misused, but when they are instructive and deserved, I’ll stand behind them.  I do so here.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #24625 on: December 06, 2019, 02:20:36 PM »

Trump resists using the landline at the Oval Office because he doesn't want aides (or the American people) to know who he is talking to and what he is saying.
His cell phone is unsecured and can be tapped by bad actors.
He gives out his cell phone number to world leaders, including Erdogan.
He has had conversation with Giuliani over his unsecured cell phone about the Ukraine affair, doubtless giving Russia info they need to further false Ukraine narratives and blackmail the "president."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/phone-logs-in-impeachment-report-renew-concern-about-security-of-trump-communications/2019/12/05/2066fbf4-16fe-11ea-8406-df3c54b3253e_story.html

But aren't we all so happy that our last national election was all about classified info security?  Really.  The American People spoke, and our elected leaders listened.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #24626 on: December 06, 2019, 02:22:57 PM »

Saudi nationalist in the USA for aviation training... haven’t we seen this movie before, like 19 times before?
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #24627 on: December 06, 2019, 02:25:50 PM »

Trump resists using the landline at the Oval Office because he doesn't want aides (or the American people) to know who he is talking to and what he is saying.
His cell phone is unsecured and can be tapped by bad actors.
He gives out his cell phone number to world leaders, including Erdogan.
He has had conversation with Giuliani over his unsecured cell phone about the Ukraine affair, doubtless giving Russia info they need to further false Ukraine narratives and blackmail the "president."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/phone-logs-in-impeachment-report-renew-concern-about-security-of-trump-communications/2019/12/05/2066fbf4-16fe-11ea-8406-df3c54b3253e_story.html

But aren't we all so happy that our last national election was all about classified info security?  Really.  The American People spoke, and our elected leaders listened.

Insight into Giuliani’s discussions with Trump could enable Moscow to adapt or amplify its propaganda promoting the baseless claim that Ukraine, rather than Russia, hacked the Democratic National Committee in the 2016 U.S. election. That claim is now widely embraced by Trump’s Republican allies. Russia is already using its disinformation capabilities to target U.S. citizens, officials said, and could enlist its own operatives in Ukraine to feed false information to Giuliani, who traveled to Kyiv this week. He met there with a Ukrainian lawmaker who studied at the KGB’s academy in Moscow in the early 1990s....

Trump and Giuliani have effectively “given the Russians ammunition they can use in an overt fashion, a covert fashion or in the twisting of information,” said John Sipher, former deputy chief of Russia operations at the CIA. Sipher and others said that it is so likely that Russia tracked the calls of Giuliani and others that the Kremlin probably knows more now about those conversations than impeachment investigators.

“Congress and investigators have call records that suggest certain things but have no means whatsoever of getting the actual text” of what was said, Sipher said. “I guarantee the Russians have the actual information.”

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #24628 on: December 06, 2019, 04:05:44 PM »

Well, then you had it wrong.  I had said only thet Trump wasnt my candidate.  No mystery that I voted for the guy over Ms Clinton.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 04:07:16 PM by kiidcarter8 »

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24629 on: December 06, 2019, 04:11:45 PM »

Well, then you had it wrong.  I had said only thet Trump wasnt my candidate.  No mystery that I voted for the guy over Ms Clinton.
Oh, indeed. No secret at all.
There was not a needy person among them, for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the proceeds of what was sold and laid it at the apostles' feet, and distribution was made to each as any had need.
Pages: 1 ... 1640 1641 [1642] 1643 1644 ... 4288