Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1663 1664 [1665] 1666 1667 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1583602 times)

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #24960 on: December 11, 2019, 10:52:32 AM »

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/impeachment-polls/

Yeah, thanks for making my point.

LOL, I think REDSTATEWARD is reading "support" and thinks that means supporting Trump.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #24961 on: December 11, 2019, 11:02:45 AM »

The notion, I guess, is to have Title VI apply to anti-Semitism by an EO.  Bizarrre, yes, especially so soon after Trump invokes anti-Semitic stereotypes in a speech.  Is this EO an attempt to launder that ugliness?

Speaking at the Israeli American Council National Summit in Florida, Trump suggested that many of the attendees at the event are wealthy and in real estate, and that their wealth would guide their votes in the 2020 presidential election.
"A lot of you are in the real estate business because I know you very well. You're brutal killers, not nice people at all. But you have to vote for me, you have no choice," he said. The President also admonished some Jewish Americans for not loving Israel "enough."

Oy!

What am I missing here.  Saying a Jewish American has "dual loyalties" to the US and Israel is a slur.  No?  Were we not talking about just that not too long ago?

And now Trump wants to enshrine that slur into the law of the United States of America...

"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #24962 on: December 11, 2019, 11:09:12 AM »

The notion, I guess, is to have Title VI apply to anti-Semitism by an EO.  Bizarrre, yes, especially so soon after Trump invokes anti-Semitic stereotypes in a speech.  Is this EO an attempt to launder that ugliness?

Speaking at the Israeli American Council National Summit in Florida, Trump suggested that many of the attendees at the event are wealthy and in real estate, and that their wealth would guide their votes in the 2020 presidential election.
"A lot of you are in the real estate business because I know you very well. You're brutal killers, not nice people at all. But you have to vote for me, you have no choice," he said. The President also admonished some Jewish Americans for not loving Israel "enough."

Oy!

What am I missing here.  Saying a Jewish American has "dual loyalties" to the US and Israel is a slur.  No?  Were we not talking about just that not too long ago?

And now Trump wants to enshrine that slur into the law of the United States of America...

Jersey City attack was motivated by Antisemitism.

Now Trump wants the law of the land to define Jewish citizens as something other than all-American.

Does this not seem highly problematic to anyone else?

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #24963 on: December 11, 2019, 12:04:55 PM »

It’s nice to see Carter Page look as shaken, broken, and worn down as Kid sounds defending his god-boss in his posts.

May hell rain on vexatious litigants who can’t remember to flush the toilet.

Page deserves an apology

You mean Lisa Page?

...then-DOJ spokesperson Sarah Isgur Flores, summoned a select group of reporters to the Department's offices.  There, they allowed the reporters to view the 375 text messages.  The reporters were told they were not permitted to remove or copy the messages and could not source the messages to DOJ.
46. Senior DOJ leadership authorized the disclosure of these messages to reporters.
47. On information and belief, the Department provided the messages to reporters to influence the public reception of Deputy Attorney General Rosenstein's December 13 testimony and to ingratiate Attorney General Sessions and DOJ with the President, among other improper and impermissible purposes.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #24964 on: December 11, 2019, 12:22:25 PM »

Horowitz just said that the New York FBI field office is still being investigated for matters related to Comey needing to disclose the reopening of the investigation into Clinton's emails 9 days before the election, contrary to DOJ policy.

I won't hold my breath, but this underscores the central gas-lighting aspect of the Republican position here.  The FBI is biased because they investigated the campaigns connections to Russian interference when there were campaign connections to Russian interference.  And they were trying to influence the election, when news of that investigation did not come out before the election.

Meanwhile, very likely pro-Trump investigators within the FBI forced the disclosure of an investigation into Clinton after she had already been cleared of wrongdoing, and that did come out before the election and very likely provably influenced the outcome.

But somehow we are supposed to take Republican outrage on this seriously?  Its pure gas-lighting. And in AG Barr's case, just plain lying.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24965 on: December 11, 2019, 12:32:58 PM »

As far as Barr and other toadies are concerned, cornered dying rats will take a swan song. Their refrain is always, “this is so unfair to me”.

As for the EO, Jews recognize a goose stepping German when they see one. Jews want trump out, in a box or in the ground.

Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

barton

« Reply #24966 on: December 11, 2019, 12:39:52 PM »

Oy!

Jersey City attack was motivated by Antisemitism.

Now Trump wants the law of the land to define Jewish citizens as something other than all-American.

Does this not seem highly problematic to anyone else?

I can make no sense of it.  So now American Jews are actually Israeli, because being Jewish has to mean a nationality and that nationality can't be American.  I think it's some kind of convoluted confusion of ethnicity and nationality.  It seems to want to declare that being Jewish means being ethnically originated from Israel, so forget Sephardic and Ashkenazi, we are drilling down to a couple millenia ago to make darn sure we get the right spot!  But, of course, you Jew guys are good American citizens so long as you love Israel enough!  I guess Bo has it right that it's a ploy to attack campus boycott/disinvestment activism.   Which just went all the way over the logic cliff.   

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #24967 on: December 11, 2019, 12:45:59 PM »

I guess Bo has it right that it's a ploy to attack campus boycott/disinvestment activism.   Which just went all the way over the logic cliff.

Yes, that is the stated purpose.  I imagine that kind of "support" for Israel goes over well with Evangelicals, with the added bonus that it probably speaks directly to how most Evangelicals see Jews.

And of course, identifying Jewish Americans as an other feeds directly into how White Nationalists see them too, which I am not entirely convinced is an unintended side-effect.

oilcan

« Reply #24968 on: December 11, 2019, 12:59:46 PM »

Bad Betsy!  Bad!

https://www.npr.org/2019/12/11/786367598/betsy-devos-overruled-education-dept-findings-on-defrauded-student-borrowers

Yet another case of Republican administrations appointing cabinet heads who actively work to subvert and ethically downgrade the agency they're put in charge of. 

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24969 on: December 11, 2019, 01:10:38 PM »

Trump still regrets there wasn’t a big yellow Star of David on Jared’s jacket or at least on his driver’s license. Trump didn’t know till someone told him at the wedding that Jared was Jewish. Since Jared is not an accountant, trump didn’t have two and two to put together. Now he knows there are some Jews in real estate. Those PDBs, whatever’s left of them, aren’t a total waste.

God deliver us from the shit gibbons illegally infesting the White House and all those who mimic or elevate that most diseased imbecile, donald trump.

http://www.vox.com/2019/12/11/21010774/trump-hershey-pennsylvania-rally
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #24970 on: December 11, 2019, 01:15:44 PM »

Bad Betsy!  Bad!

https://www.npr.org/2019/12/11/786367598/betsy-devos-overruled-education-dept-findings-on-defrauded-student-borrowers

Yet another case of Republican administrations appointing cabinet heads who actively work to subvert and ethically downgrade the agency they're put in charge of.

And who personally benefit financially from that work because of their ties to the industries they are supposed to be regulating.

Drain the swamp.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #24971 on: December 11, 2019, 01:48:49 PM »

Lindsey Graham responds to the IG finding of texts that prove there was plenty of pro-Trump bias in the bureau as well:

I don't care what people's opinions are....you don't need to prove motive.  Forget why they did it, its what they did.

This is not two hours after Graham indulged in yet another round of reading out FBI texts in an attempt to prove that they were motivated by anti-Trump bias.

Folks.  In case you haven't figured this out yet...Republicans are not being honest here.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #24972 on: December 11, 2019, 02:50:00 PM »

I guess Bo has it right that it's a ploy to attack campus boycott/disinvestment activism.   Which just went all the way over the logic cliff.

Yes, that is the stated purpose.  I imagine that kind of "support" for Israel goes over well with Evangelicals, with the added bonus that it probably speaks directly to how most Evangelicals see Jews.

And of course, identifying Jewish Americans as an other feeds directly into how White Nationalists see them too, which I am not entirely convinced is an unintended side-effect.

Having read the EO it seems to only be asking that Antisemitism be pursued as vigorously as the discrimination against race, color or national origin.  So I stand corrected.

Its admirable if its even needed (does not seem to specifically address the BDS movement though it makes oblique reference to it) but also begs the question why other religions should not enjoy the same treatment. 

Couldn't Trump have issued an EO that said title VI be extended to religion, and cover it that way?

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24973 on: December 11, 2019, 03:23:56 PM »

Having read the EO it seems to only be asking that Antisemitism be pursued as vigorously as the discrimination against race, color or national origin. 

I haven't found the actual EO, only drafts.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24974 on: December 11, 2019, 03:25:50 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/11/politics/trump-impeachment-strategy/index.html

The President also issued a mocking defense of his conduct at a rally in Hershey, Pennsylvania, Tuesday night -- arguing that the charges that he abused power and obstructed Congress are "not even a crime."

"Everyone said this is impeachment-lite. This is the lightest impeachment in the history of our country, by far. It's not even like an impeachment," Trump said.

Abusing power is "not even a crime."

I feel so much better!
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham
Pages: 1 ... 1663 1664 [1665] 1666 1667 ... 4288