Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1664 1665 [1666] 1667 1668 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1583604 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #24975 on: December 11, 2019, 03:34:40 PM »

Does he know this is about wether or not he is shit canned prior to 2021 and that the locking him up part starts later?

Impeachment is about how he is too much the shitheel to stay president anymore.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24976 on: December 11, 2019, 04:13:26 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/11/politics/trump-impeachment-strategy/index.html

"Everyone said this is impeachment-lite. This is the lightest impeachment in the history of our country, by far. It's not even like an impeachment," Trump said.
Donald Trump likes to make up anonymous validators of course but this is a sentiment that cannot possibly be shared by any competent historian. Or, for that matter, anyone who has ever Googled "Andrew Johnson impeachment".
The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice with the palace has the brew that is true!

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #24977 on: December 11, 2019, 04:16:21 PM »

I guess Bo has it right that it's a ploy to attack campus boycott/disinvestment activism.   Which just went all the way over the logic cliff.

Yes, that is the stated purpose.  I imagine that kind of "support" for Israel goes over well with Evangelicals, with the added bonus that it probably speaks directly to how most Evangelicals see Jews.

And of course, identifying Jewish Americans as an other feeds directly into how White Nationalists see them too, which I am not entirely convinced is an unintended side-effect.

Having read the EO it seems to only be asking that Antisemitism be pursued as vigorously as the discrimination against race, color or national origin. 

I haven't found the actual EO, only drafts.

I partially take back my take back:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/11/opinion/jared-kushner-trump-anti-semitism.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

This does seem to be entirely targeting the BDS movement on college campuses, as otherwise I don't know what he is referring to.  And it is doing so, at least by Jared's interpretation, in an extremely problematic way.  He is conflating the rise of antisemitism (a national problem that has been fueled by the rise of White Nationalism in the country) with BDS by claiming that the movement is antisemitism veiled as a critique of Israel:

Anti-Semites have grown increasingly brazen in claiming that attacks on Israel — and even on Jewish students who may or may not support Israel — are not anti-Semitic. It has become fashionable among Jew haters to characterize any discriminatory behavior — no matter how loathsome — not as criticism of Jews, but of Israel. This is a lie. Especially on college campuses, where discrimination, harassment and intimidation of Jewish students has become commonplace and is routinely, but wrongly, justified.

This is absurd.  No one would claim that an attack on a Jewish student for being Jewish as a criticism of Israel, nor would any school administration justify it in that way.  The real goal here is to characterize protests against Israel's policy as "harassment and intimidation of Jewish students" and threaten the funding of any school that allows them.

Its Jared and his father-in-law that are performing the conflation he claims to criticize, with the goal of shutting down speech on campuses that is critical of Israel.

And that is not at all admirable.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 04:17:58 PM by NeedsAdjustments »
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24978 on: December 11, 2019, 04:28:52 PM »

The bigger goal is to make you think of someone besides trump and his goons when you hear antisemitism. It’s especially important for Jared who’s community wonders aloud how he got so far in bed with the someone so bigoted against Jews (the father not the daughter).
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #24979 on: December 11, 2019, 04:29:51 PM »

Couldn't Trump have issued an EO that said title VI be extended to religion, and cover it that way?

No, because the law is clear what is covered.  Can't just pretend it extends to something not there.  That wouldn't hold water.

So the subterfuge is to reclassify Jewishness as a nationality and then presto anti-semitism is covered.  Still will be legally challenged, I presume.

I think this is all trying to defend Israel from economic harm, and using a smokescreen of concern about anti-semitism to do so. 

Netanyahu's gov't and groups like the Anti-Defamation League have tried for a long time to conflate Israel and Jewishness, asserting that any criticism of Israeli policy is really just anti-semitism. 
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #24980 on: December 11, 2019, 04:36:43 PM »

I don't think Jared has any problem.  As Trump likes to boast, his administration is the biggest supporter of Israel in US history.  Or at least the biggest supporter of the current IL gov't.  With hardcore pro-settlement folk like David Friedman running US policy in Israel.  Moving the embassy to Jerusalem.  Cutting off Palestinian funding.  Discarding the two-state solution.  Deciding West Bank settlements aren't illegal.  And doing much of this in order to extend Netanyahu's political career.

With all that going on, I don't think many pro-Israeli Americans care much about Trump's crude rhetoric, stereotypes and other faux pas.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24981 on: December 11, 2019, 05:44:00 PM »

I don't think Jared has any problem.  As Trump likes to boast, his administration is the biggest supporter of Israel in US history.  Or at least the biggest supporter of the current IL gov't.  With hardcore pro-settlement folk like David Friedman running US policy in Israel.  Moving the embassy to Jerusalem.  Cutting off Palestinian funding.  Discarding the two-state solution.  Deciding West Bank settlements aren't illegal.  And doing much of this in order to extend Netanyahu's political career.

With all that going on, I don't think many pro-Israeli Americans care much about Trump's crude rhetoric, stereotypes and other faux pas.

You would be mistaken.

We care a lot.

One of the major pro-Israel organizations responded to his recent speech with a tweet indicating that while they appreciate his support for Israel, could he *please* get rid of the nasty stereotyping?

And while I think the ways in which Trump has undermined most chance of our helping a peace plan to come into being are revolting, I could not see a two state solution as being viably enacted.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24982 on: December 11, 2019, 05:46:15 PM »

Its Jared and his father-in-law that are performing the conflation he claims to criticize, with the goal of shutting down speech on campuses that is critical of Israel.

Beyond "not at all admirable," it is problematic, especially in concert with the promotion of Jews as all about money. It makes us bigger targets than we were already.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #24983 on: December 11, 2019, 06:02:03 PM »

It’s nice to see Carter Page look as shaken, broken, and worn down as Kid sounds defending his god-boss in his posts.

May hell rain on vexatious litigants who can’t remember to flush the toilet.

Page deserves an apology

Fuck Carter Page
The FBI already has.
Multiple times.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #24984 on: December 11, 2019, 06:44:05 PM »

Beyond "not at all admirable," it is problematic, especially in concert with the promotion of Jews as all about money. It makes us bigger targets than we were already.

My reference to it not being “admirable” addresses my earlier characterization.  Yes, it is problematic for a number of reasons. 

For one, it intentionally, for political reasons, misidentifies the source of antisemitism in the country.  The critique that Trump has contributed to its rise surely rankles (I’m guessing it doesn’t sit well with Jared) so they make a big show of addressing it by pointing at “campus lefties” as its source. 

The result is that Trump is chilling political speech on campuses while simultaneously giving White Nationalists (the guys who marched on the campus of UVa chanting “jews will not replace us”) cover to continue. 

For them Antisemitism is just something else to be politically weaponized against the Left.  In this case, with the added bonus of allowing them to avoid addressing the bigger more pressing problem inside their own tent.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #24985 on: December 11, 2019, 07:12:06 PM »

It’s nice to see Carter Page look as shaken, broken, and worn down as Kid sounds defending his god-boss in his posts.

May hell rain on vexatious litigants who can’t remember to flush the toilet.

Page deserves an apology

Fuck Carter Page
The FBI already has.
Multiple times.

Hell. I grew up under COINTELPRO. My parents were very active in the movement and my Dad was a successful business professional.

Fuck Carter Page.

We got fucked with by J. Edgar Hoover’s FBI.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #24986 on: December 11, 2019, 07:20:05 PM »

I guess Bo has it right that it's a ploy to attack campus boycott/disinvestment activism.   Which just went all the way over the logic cliff.

Yes, that is the stated purpose.  I imagine that kind of "support" for Israel goes over well with Evangelicals, with the added bonus that it probably speaks directly to how most Evangelicals see Jews.

And of course, identifying Jewish Americans as an other feeds directly into how White Nationalists see them too, which I am not entirely convinced is an unintended side-effect.

Having read the EO it seems to only be asking that Antisemitism be pursued as vigorously as the discrimination against race, color or national origin. 

I haven't found the actual EO, only drafts.

I partially take back my take back:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/11/opinion/jared-kushner-trump-anti-semitism.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

This does seem to be entirely targeting the BDS movement on college campuses, as otherwise I don't know what he is referring to.  And it is doing so, at least by Jared's interpretation, in an extremely problematic way.  He is conflating the rise of antisemitism (a national problem that has been fueled by the rise of White Nationalism in the country) with BDS by claiming that the movement is antisemitism veiled as a critique of Israel:

Anti-Semites have grown increasingly brazen in claiming that attacks on Israel — and even on Jewish students who may or may not support Israel — are not anti-Semitic. It has become fashionable among Jew haters to characterize any discriminatory behavior — no matter how loathsome — not as criticism of Jews, but of Israel. This is a lie. Especially on college campuses, where discrimination, harassment and intimidation of Jewish students has become commonplace and is routinely, but wrongly, justified.

This is absurd.  No one would claim that an attack on a Jewish student for being Jewish as a criticism of Israel, nor would any school administration justify it in that way.  The real goal here is to characterize protests against Israel's policy as "harassment and intimidation of Jewish students" and threaten the funding of any school that allows them.

These guys (GOP) believe in creating their own reality.

Look past Jared to Jay Sekulow, Trump’s attorney who is also general counsel for Jews for Jesus.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #24987 on: December 11, 2019, 08:19:33 PM »

In the 2000s, Trump began to use the charity in ways that benefited himself or his businesses, according to the attorney general’s lawsuit. He used the charity’s cash to buy paintings of himself and sports memorabilia and to pay $258,000 in legal settlements for his for-profit clubs.

Doesn't say that much of the money wasnt also going to proper use

The wording of the piece makes quick jumpers like yourself think Trump used every cent for personal items/giving.

Thus when I said "Letitia is shutting down charities" - yes - in this case the good of the Trump Foundation gets eliminated - at least for the time being.  And some of you smarties will be first to note how little Trump and his family give to others if the post shutdown numbers come out.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24988 on: December 11, 2019, 10:00:35 PM »

https://www.axios.com/federal-deficit-increase-fiscal-year-2020-ae86a235-e812-42d7-a7f7-fef47c13f228.html

Looking to increase the national debt by 50% over the next decade.

So much for fixing it while he was in office.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #24989 on: December 11, 2019, 10:18:34 PM »

In the 2000s, Trump began to use the charity in ways that benefited himself or his businesses, according to the attorney general’s lawsuit. He used the charity’s cash to buy paintings of himself and sports memorabilia and to pay $258,000 in legal settlements for his for-profit clubs.

Doesn't say that much of the money wasnt also going to proper use

The wording of the piece makes quick jumpers like yourself think Trump used every cent for personal items/giving.

Thus when I said "Letitia is shutting down charities" - yes - in this case the good of the Trump Foundation gets eliminated - at least for the time being.  And some of you smarties will be first to note how little Trump and his family give to others if the post shutdown numbers come out.

as part of a settlement the New York State Attorney General’s Office, three of Trump’s children “were ordered to undergo mandatory training to ensure they do not engage in similar misconduct” at future charities.

In addition to paying $2 million, the president also had to admit that he misused foundation funds to fund his own presidential campaign, pay off his businesses’ legal expenses, and to buy a $10,000 portrait of himself that wound up being displayed at one of his Florida hotels.

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/12/trumps-children-must-undergo-mandatory-training-to-learn-how-to-avoid-defrauding-charities/

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 1664 1665 [1666] 1667 1668 ... 4288