Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1675 1676 [1677] 1678 1679 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1998485 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

facilitatorn

• View Profile

facilitatorn

• View Profile

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #25143 on: December 15, 2019, 10:03:58 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/15/politics/read-jeff-van-drew-staff-resignation-letter/index.html

5 of Jeff Van Drew's staff are unimpressed by his planned move to the GOP.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #25144 on: December 16, 2019, 02:58:21 AM »

Besides countries with on-going wars -- Yemen, Syria, etc -- or barely-there gov'ts (Iraq, Somalia) or both (Libya, Afghanistan), the only "stable" countries that come to mind where I would be wary of going are Pakistan, Mexico, probably Honduras and North Korea.  While I'm sure there are nice areas in these countries, they strike me as potentially violent and unsafe. 

Most countries go out of their way to be helpful to tourists.  Thailand, a land with many corruptions, even has a Tourist Police bureau operating throughout the country.  One of the best things about China is the safety level.  There aren't any bad or dangerous sections of Shanghai.  You can walk down any street past midnight alone.  Nobody has guns (except the poorly trained armored car guards and the People's Armed Police, a counter-riot agency you rarely see in public).  While crimes against foreigners are generally given a high priority, and criminals know that.  At most there is a pickpocket problems, but little violent crime.

Also, many countries have fairly well-trod tourist routes and tourist zones which tend to be well-policed and safe.  The worst I've experienced abroad is food poisoning (Kenya, Vietnam, Morocco) and minor hassles.  Can't really think of any significant problems.  Here and there someone might have been rude or tried to cheat us a bit on price.  Stuff you get over in a few minutes.

And often enough you run into unexpected hospitality such as when our Palestinian taxi driver/guide asked if it was okay if we stopped at his home.  And so we wound up hanging at his house for half an hour drinking tea and meeting his young sister, wife  and newborn baby.  Sometimes the informality is nicely refreshing, such as when our Jerusalem taxi driver asked if it would be okay if he stopped for 2 minutes to pick up a jacket from a tailor that happened to be near our hotel.  Hell, in Tbilisi Georgia our car rental company was a big fat wrestler looking dude with 5 vehicles on the street, who was amused when I wanted to add in the price per day on his one page Xerox contract.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25145 on: December 16, 2019, 07:53:06 AM »

And, yes, impeach McConnell.   Not just for violating his oath of office, but for failing to qualify as a human being.  The turtle-aliens from Deneb IV have meddled in our Terran governments long enough!
You cannot impeach a member of the legislature.

Yeah, I was just being a wise-ass when I suggested that. 
Though they can be censured and/or removed from office. 
Expulsion.
I was being annoyingly pedantic.it is whom I am.
A parrot bit me.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #25147 on: December 16, 2019, 08:49:51 AM »

"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #25148 on: December 16, 2019, 08:53:23 AM »

Linsey Graham in October after Trump calls for China to investigate the Bidens:

As to asking China to look into Biden, that was stupid. Nobody believes that China would be fair to Biden, Trump, me or you, or anybody.

This weekend:

Question: Is it ever okay for an American president to ask a foreign leader to investigate a political rival?

Sen. Graham: Yeah, I think it's okay to talk about this kind of stuff.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #25149 on: December 16, 2019, 08:56:34 AM »

Latest Fox poll has RV 54% to 41% for impeachment (50% for removal)

CBS news poll has it 46%-39% for impeachment, up +4 points from November.

A number of other polls have shown no statistical change, but the notion that polling has improved for Trump since the public hearings is flatly false.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 09:00:31 AM by NeedsAdjustments »

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #25150 on: December 16, 2019, 08:59:50 AM »

Senate Republicans—such as Lindsey Graham, who just bragged he is “not trying to pretend to be a fair juror”—are intent on racing through an impeachment trial. One of the reasons for this rush may be a desire to be done with impeachment before any more news connects Russian money to President Trump. We now know Rudy Giuliani’s indicted ex-business partner Lev Parnas—who paid Rudy $500,000 to do Trump’s Ukraine election meddling—had a Russian funding stream.

No wonder that, after the latest Parnas news broke last week, Graham said or the Senate trial, “I will do everything I can to make it die quickly.”

Of course he will.

https://thebulwark.com/why-is-mitch-mcconnell-afraid-of-this-man/

Good questions being asked, that if the Senate is signaling a sham trial (and they are) why should the House even send impeachment articles to them now?  Keep them open.  Let more facts come out.  because more facts will come out.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #25151 on: December 16, 2019, 09:03:28 AM »

President Donald Trump committed criminal bribery and wire fraud, the House Judiciary Committee alleges in a report that will accompany articles of impeachment this week.

The report, a 169-page assessment of the case for Trump’s removal from office, contends that Trump committed “multiple federal crimes” — ones that Democrats addressed under the broad umbrella of “abuse of power,” the first article of impeachment against the president.

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/12/16/judiciary-committee-impeachment-report-trump-committed-multiple-federal-crimes-086096

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #25152 on: December 16, 2019, 09:20:11 AM »

:Trump winning undoing some of his major fuckups on China deal

FIFY

“This is a small deal, a pause in the trade conflict that will prevent further tariff escalation and offer some tariff rollbacks in exchange for Chinese purchase commitments and a reiteration of some modest economic reforms that were already underway,” Edward Alden, a trade scholar at the Council on Foreign Relations, told me. “It has been a lot of pain, on both sides, for very little gain.”

Good thread from Krugman on the "trade deal" with China:

https://twitter.com/paulkrugman/status/1206223091053088769

Main takeaway:

Second, the Chinese have learned the same lesson North Korea's Kim learned: Trump talks loudly but carries a small stick, and can be rolled. Trump has made us weak, neither trusted by our allies nor feared by our enemies.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #25153 on: December 16, 2019, 10:00:28 AM »

Latest Fox poll has RV 54% to 41% for impeachment (50% for removal)

CBS news poll has it 46%-39% for impeachment, up +4 points from November.

A number of other polls have shown no statistical change, but the notion that polling has improved for Trump since the public hearings is flatly false.
No.  It is flatly true. When you use the average of the polls.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/public_approval_of_the_impeachment_and_removal_of_president_trump-6957.html

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham
Pages: 1 ... 1675 1676 [1677] 1678 1679 ... 4288