Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1686 1687 [1688] 1689 1690 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1997442 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #25305 on: December 20, 2019, 05:02:58 AM »

I think the Christianity Today call for Trump's removal won't have a huge impact, but it may start some slow ripples going
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #25306 on: December 20, 2019, 08:01:50 AM »

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

barton

« Reply #25308 on: December 20, 2019, 10:06:00 AM »

So bizarre that the process compared to a jury trial phase has no actual jury selection process and, in reality, means accepting an entire pool composed of the most partisan and biased jurors humanly possible.   I think everyone needs to stop accepting that the Senate is analogous to a jury.   Is there actually anyone on this "jury" whose mind wasn't made up months ago?  (except maybe a couple who are striking poses of open-mindedness)  And, of course, key witnesses likely won't be allowed to testify, further revealing the sham, and that this is light-years away from an impartial proceeding.  I confess I was happy to spend the past week of holiday travels largely ignoring the clown show.   

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #25309 on: December 20, 2019, 10:19:50 AM »

So bizarre that the process compared to a jury trial phase has no actual jury selection process and, in reality, means accepting an entire pool composed of the most partisan and biased jurors humanly possible.   I think everyone needs to stop accepting that the Senate is analogous to a jury.   Is there actually anyone on this "jury" whose mind wasn't made up months ago?  (except maybe a couple who are striking poses of open-mindedness)  And, of course, key witnesses likely won't be allowed to testify, further revealing the sham, and that this is light-years away from an impartial proceeding.  I confess I was happy to spend the past week of holiday travels largely ignoring the clown show.
The “clown” show is a three year old charade with no substance save a hatred of Trump.
It is entirely of,by, and for the democrats. They secured an impeachment but can’t convince Americans, let alone meet the requirements of the Constitution, that they deserve anything more than a lump of coal in their Christmas stockings.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #25310 on: December 20, 2019, 10:26:36 AM »

Minority Whip Steve Scalise was one of only 47 republicans on the committees allowed to sit in on AdamSchiff’s secret hearings.   

Nearly choked on my cheerios.   Nothing says comically obsessed quite like clinging to two month old talking points that didn't make sense when they were first talked.

It contradicts itself within the span of a single sentence, which is a sort of accomplishment. Brevity in hypocrisy award.

LOL.  That one was right up there with "your favorite form of literature is Fiction."

Trumpists are a joke.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #25311 on: December 20, 2019, 10:32:41 AM »

Republican Senators were the first ones to start referring to themselves as "jurors" so that they could avoid commenting on the revelations pointing to Trump's obvious guilt coming out of the House.

Now that the guilt is established beyond doubt, they want to run away from that descriptor because "no no, this isn't really a trial, and of course no one could possibly expect me to be impartial."

Because unlike some of the Sealions that inhabit this forum, GOP Senators have some pride, and want it to be clear that their decision to acquit is based on partisanship, not facts.  And certainly not the witness testimony that Americans want to see, but that they will do everything in their power to prevent.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25312 on: December 20, 2019, 10:34:10 AM »

The “clown” show is a three year old charade with no substance save a hatred of Trump.
It is entirely of,by, and for the democrats. They secured an impeachment but can’t convince Americans, let alone meet the requirements of the Constitution, that they deserve anything more than a lump of coal in their Christmas stockings.

"no substance"
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #25313 on: December 20, 2019, 10:38:29 AM »

I think the Christianity Today call for Trump's removal won't have a huge impact, but it may start some slow ripples going

I love how in his tweet pretending that he has ever once opened the cover of Christianity Today, the "president"* referred to it as "ET."

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #25314 on: December 20, 2019, 10:39:03 AM »

You should sue your school district.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #25315 on: December 20, 2019, 10:48:41 AM »

I love how in his tweet pretending that he has ever once opened the cover of Christianity Today, the "president"* referred to it as "ET."

BTW, it should be said, that while I don’t know if Impeachment was the last straw or what, but considering we are talking about a guy who has cheated on all three of his wives, brags about grabbing women by the pussy and has been credibly accused of physical assault by almost two dozen women, hurls insults at the disabled and the deceased, separates families and cages children, and oh yeah who lies like a rug if Evangelicals are finally ready to say yeah, this guy does not have the moral character to be President, well, Bravo.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #25316 on: December 20, 2019, 11:03:35 AM »

BTW, it should be said, that while I don’t know if Impeachment was the last straw or what, but considering we are talking about a guy who has cheated on all three of his wives, brags about grabbing women by the pussy and has been credibly accused of physical assault by almost two dozen women, hurls insults at the disabled and the deceased, separates families and cages children, and oh yeah who lies like a rug if Evangelicals are finally ready to say yeah, this guy does not have the moral character to be President, well, Bravo.

They’re finally ready to have Pence take us into theocracy.

Lyndon Johnson

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #25317 on: December 20, 2019, 11:15:40 AM »

It's always seemed to me that Evangelicals sole reason for supporting Trump was his appointment of pro-life jurists (notwithstanding the notion that he likely kept the abortion industry in his younger days).  I'm not sure anything related to impeachment is going to change that sentiment.
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #25318 on: December 20, 2019, 11:51:42 AM »

It's always seemed to me that Evangelicals sole reason for supporting Trump was his appointment of pro-life jurists (notwithstanding the notion that he likely kept the abortion industry in his younger days).  I'm not sure anything related to impeachment is going to change that sentiment.

Yes.  And no, I'm not expecting Trump to lose their support.

I was tongue-in-cheek pointing out the absurdity of saying now we know that Trump is morally unfit, while also giving some props to CT's editors because to be clear they could have just continued to steep in their tea of hypocrisy and  not say anything.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #25319 on: December 20, 2019, 11:53:26 AM »

Yes.  And no, I'm not expecting Trump to lose their support.

I was tongue-in-cheek pointing out the absurdity of saying now we know that Trump is morally unfit, while also giving some props to CT's editors because to be clear they could have just continued to steep in their tea of hypocrisy and  not say anything.

CT Editor Mark Galli is retiring next week. A real profile in courage.

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 1686 1687 [1688] 1689 1690 ... 4288